one of six

Leap Of Faith


I know Lord that you are all powerful
That you can do everything you want,
You ask how dare I question your wisdom when i am 
So very ignorant.
I talked about things i dont understand,
About marvels too great for me to know. 
You told me to listen while you spoke and to try to answer
Your questions,

Job 42: 2-4


PROLOGUE

The ceiling of the old chapel was illuminated by the light of daybreak and everything seemed so comforting in his eyes. He had been walking on foot for a day now and being infront of this worn-out church was surprisingly what he needed. His brown hair caught the early rays of the sun matching his big brown eyes that was stained red. The confession box was open, He could not remember the last time he knelt and confessed. Opening the door, he read the contrition and took a deep breath. 

“ Forgive me father for I have sinned. My last confession was last-“ He paused. “five years ago.” Yes. Five years ago, before he went to high school and met him. The priest on the other side did not talk, he just sighed. 

This is rather ironic. He thought to himself, this man woke up just to listen to a sinner like him. 

“ I willed someone to his death. “ The phrase hung out in the air but it was the truth. There was silence and he preceded. 

“ Its all my fault and it feels like everything is taken from me, Well. He is just one person.”
He could imagine the priest flinching right now, ‘HE’ the implications that would make in this religion. But it was not his fault, isnt it? There was a reason God pushed into that hallway in the first day of class and took his breath away. There was, wasnt it? 

“ Father, do you know the story of Job?” 

“ yes my son,” The voice of the priest was rather comforting. 

“ EVERYTHING was taken away from him even if he was Good. I am a good Christian, I am good seed in The LEE clan.” He felt like he was divulging more than he should, but he had no one to talk to. “ and then he is Gone. Gone forever, the only something that meant anything.” 

He was silent. 

There was nothing more to confess. 

“ your penance is 5 our fathers, and please fix yourself up and ask for forgiveness to people you’ve hurt.” 

Was this normal? He thought, the penance is only limited to prayers right? 

“ yes father, but I have nowehere to go.” 

“ I disagree son, there is a reason that your feet took you here at 6 in the morning. Trust me.” 

I smiled and I knew that time, I was reborn. 

“ My name is Lee Jinki.” I blurted out before going out and praying. 

“ Sure my son, you are very much welcomed on our Church.” 


CHAPTER 1 
Jinki’s POV 


“ Do you think Minho will like this?” I eyed the tiny and delicious looking cake in Taemin’s hand and i smiled in approval. I have been working in this Coffee shop for almost 8 months now as a part of my 1 year leave before my annointment as a priest. Some of us was taken to schools and other jobs but I am fortunate in this place. I have Taemin, a young boy who wants to be a pastry chef. His father owns this place among others, you can say he is a rich kid but then he is flawed. One would argue though, with his pretty face and shiny card parked outside the cafe. 

The chimes of the Shop made a noise and i turned around to see Taemin’s flaw that I observed the very first day i worked here. 

Minho. 

“ Why are you always so early?” 

“ Im not, you are just late.” I smiled back. Ofcourse, i will be early. Unlike them , i already finished my studies back in the convent and theology major, and this work is all i have to worry about. Minho is a College sophomore unlike Taemin who is in his final year before going to the college world. 

“ Goodmorning! “ Taemin stuttered and Minho smiled back. 

This is what my morning is like, looking at two people who would be perfect for each other but not now. Not now, there are millions of us looking for the perfect one and ‘the one’ would be passing us by everyday. But not now, Not today. Some other day, you will just happen to pass by that someone and know. You just know it. These two are oblivious. 

“ we will open in 20 minutes! “ I shouted and Minho was in his own place and my two co-workers were still scrambling to get in their uniforms. Taemin was still hiding the cake behind him, he looked nervously at me. I smiled but he kept the cake and waved goodbye. It was more than the cake, He couldn’t give his heart yet. 

“ GOODMORNING. What can I get you? “ 

I greeted our first customer warmly, and I remembered. This is what I first told him. That first time. 

----------------------


Years ago. 

“ GOODMORNING. What can I get you? “ 

He is normal. Normal to the point where my smile grew wider, my heartbeat tripled and nothing came out of my mouth rather than that phrase. I am assigned to the greeting group of our cafeteria booth for the school fair. His name is Park Jungsoo. A senior, whereas im a freshman. He smiled at me and knew that my guts are spilling cause he is a senior, Not only that, He is THAT senior. Everyone liked him, The perfect leader. 

“ surprise me. “ he offered playfully and placed the bunny headband i had on in his head. 

“ melon shake? “ i managed to spit out the word and scurried towards my classmates. 

That was the first time I met him and everything went horribly wrong. We fell for each other, and worst, The feeling wont go away. 

And then that day came, It was all over the news, He died from an accident because of speeding against another car in the freeway . It was a usual thing that time, racing in freeways. He died from a crash according to the police and according to my Homeroom teacher. But i know better, Jungsoo doesnt know how to drive and he is color blind, not even allowed a license. 

I kept quiet. I know better. 

--------------------------------

“ WHAT THE . . . “ 

I was out of my trance in a second, well, well, who could be it? No other than my favorite person who always brightens up my day. Kim Keybum. Eversince i entered here, he would always burst into here with his foul mouth and perfume. With the boy who was blonde the other month but brown haired now on tow. He has a lot of issues, I gather. 


Apparently, he is taking Culinary arts in a school a few blocks from here. I know its a prestigious school but he hates it. He curses his professors and foreign classmates eevryday but i see his eyes light up when he read his books. I get that feeling, it was a Hate so strong that you have no control but to turn it into Love. After all, Hate is an evolution of Love. Today, he was particularly angry with being assigned to a professor Sauniere. 

“ THAT HAG DOESNT EVEN KNOW HOW TO MAKE A PERFECT SALAD, I BET!” his voice thundered across the shop and Minho snickered at me. He continued, “ I know that she is a world-class pastry chef, but come on! I dont need a three hour lecture on making a chocolate cake.” 

He waved his hand towards his friend who nodded while he was busy playing on his iphone. 

“ i support you.” He said in monotone voice.

“ thanks jonghyun! Im glad i have you as a childhood friend.” He replied confidently and faced me. 

He is beautiful. I accepted that fact a long time ago, he definitely is. His hair had three different colors on it, but it doesnt overshadow his personality. He held his thought for a while and ordered his usual coffee and i obliged. Sitting down, His complaints continued and I could see that he was close to tears. 

“ i just cant be stuck there, in that class.” He protested. 

“ but its just a pastry class Key, it can add to your belt. And come on, you could ace that subject.” Jonghyun offered, 

“ but she hates me! I swear, when i answered her question, she was like ‘ dont dare act smart on me mister.’ She is EVIL! PURE. EVIL. Like my mother.” 

I heard the magic word. EVIL. Like my mother. All his anecdotes end in that, Im not really a creeper, he just peaks my attention and he sticks out in the crowd. Literally and Figuratively. The boy named Jonghyun looked at him. 

“ why do i have a feeling that this is not just about a stupid pastry class?” 

“ the evil called again, I mean- why cant she just keep quiet in her house and leave me alone?”

“ how did she get your number anyway? The facility should be taking care of her, not you.” 

“ she was granted a phonecall for ‘good behavior’.” He snickered but there was nothing funny in what he said, i looked into his eyes as i brought his coffee over. He was not the least bit happy. I wonder why. 

“ you’re Onew right?” Jonghyun greeted me and i said yes. 

“ New?” Key tilted his head to see me. 

“ ive been working here for almost 8 months.” I offered, Jonghyun looked at me apologetically, “forgive his eyesight, his pretty hair is getting in the way.”

Key kicked him under the table. And we both laughed. 

“ Nice to meet you Onew, Now. I will excuse myself.” 


“ as you like it, “ i said under my breath and Jonghyun motioned for me to seat down. He is Minho’s high school classmate, thats why they always come here. 

“ your friend is pretty busy.” 

Minho is on break and talking to a college girl outside. He was smoking his cigarette practically showing off and maybe telling her that he is a soccer player in the university and a business major which is actually true. Minho is the perfect pick-me-up guy, Jonghyun once said. 

“ I wish he’d stop doing that you know,” Jonghyun commented as he stirred his coffee and placed three sachets of sugar, his preference. 

“ picking up girls?” i offered. 

“ YES. Sleeping around, i mean, who wouldnt want to date properly, right?” he said, like it was the easiest thing in the world.

“ maybe he is not the settling down type, he is young you know.” 

“ and you are too, and you date properly.” I didnt know how he came to the conclusion that im dating someone steadily, but it was a good impression in my behalf and i stayed quiet. 

“ then maybe, you should set him up with a proper girl.” I offered and he smiled at me, 

“ you are smart, real smart.” 

I smiled at him and headed for the bathroom, I need to do some inventory. Opening the door only to find Key crying infront of the mirror and he quickly wiped them and bowed when i came. 

“ hey –“ I offered him my handkerchief but he refused the offer. 

“ do you have a charger? “ he held his phone up, we had the same one.

“ i do, its in the locker. Borrow it? “

“ Yes.” 

Before I walked out, I did something I always wanted to do. I placed my hand over his head and closed my eyes to pray for him. A Pray over, this is what this guy needed. To clear his head, but my prayer was disrupted as he pushed my hand away. 

“ what the hell! What are you!!” he looked incredulous, 

“ Im praying for you, “ i replied naturally.

“ Do i look like im dying? Im perfectly fine. “ 

He entered the bathroom cubicle and I stood there, something told me that I should stick around a little more. Silence, then he talked. 

“ I just need a in charger so I can call my sister and tell her that I am still alive and i will be the greatest Chef that Seoul has ever seen. “ 

His words meant something more, so, this is his dream after all. After months of seeing him and eavesdropping to know more about him, Now I finally know what he really he is. He has dreams. 

“ then, i will go get my charger then,” I Said calmly then he was violently opening the cubicle door.

“ what the!”

I forgot to tell him , the lock in their is jammed. That is the reason why I came here, to place the out of order sign. I almost cursed myself. 

“ Key, “ i called out, it felt weird saying his name for the first time but he responded with a YES. “the door is jammed, “

“what?”

He pulled more and stood in the toilet, he would go over the cubicle to get out, Bright idea. He climbed up easily, in just seconds, he was sitting on the door and on his way down. 

“Let me help you, “

I moved towards him and he leaped lightly and landed directly infront of me. Then I noticed something I never did, and wished never did. He was not only beautiful, He is painfully beautiful and worst, my Heart was hammering against his. I dont even wanna know why. Maybe its the proximity. And for a second there, Im afraid he will kill me for not telling him that the door is jammed; i tried to rationalize. 

I could not figure out the look in his eyes and i swear i saw his lips quiver and he mouthed “charger” and walked out. I breathed deeply. Then a thought floated in my brain, 

Some other day, you will just happen to pass by someone and know. You just know it.

============

PLEASE COMMENT! I will update once I see comments! ^^ AND SUBSCRIBE!