{two of six}

Leap Of Faith

 

KEY'S POINT OF VIEW


Yes, ive heard all that before.
But how can a man win a case against God?
How can anyone argue with him? He can ask
A thousand questions that no one could ever answer.
God is so wise and powerful no one can stand up against him,
Without warning, he moves mountains
And in anger, He destroys them. 


Job 9: 1-5

“ And thats a perfect chocolate cake Mr. Kim! “

I know ive been saying this phrase about a hundred times the entir day but it wouldn’t wear out. But Jonghyun, being the good friend that he is just clapped his hand and smiled at me everytime. It was the words that the Hag Ms. Sauniere said when I practically shoved the chocolate cake I made. DAMN HER. I did not sleep for two days just for reseearch and lab work, I call my cooking process = lab work. Its cooler. 

“ you have proven yourself once again, ALMIGHTY KEY.” Jonghyun opened the door for me in our favorite coffee shop; actually, its not my favorite, its just that its near the school. 

I sat down and looked at the counter. Onew was not there. 

I sighed. 

“ WHAT?” I looked at Jonghyun who seemed puzzled, 

“ looking for someone?”

“ NO. “ I gulped. Why the hell would I be looking for that creepy smiling guy? He practically prayed me over last night, like the one you do  when someone dies. Good thing he lent me the charger and I was out of sight. But there is something about him that I cant point out. I glanced at the book a girl across me was holding. TWILIGHT. Nah. He is not a vampire, too clumsy. I smiled at the thought. 

“ YOU SEE, why wont he date properly!!” my thoughts were disrupted as jonghyun erupted from his seat and looked at his childhood friend Minho flirting yet again with a random girl. Exasperated, he turned to me. “ I KNOW. I know he has the charisma of ten Beauty pageant champions combined. BUT. COME ON! He is gonna die of AIDS at the age of 30 if he doesnt stop!” 

I laughed at his tremendous concern, Jong may look cocky or may across as a friend who didnt care. But he does, he just does it in sneaky ways. 

“ what makes you think he sleeps around, I mean- there is no harm in flirting. “ I said nonchalantly. 

“ it all starts with flirting, then the next thing you know, they are in bed- spreading virus.” He gritted his teeth. 
Easy for him to say, He’s got the love of his life with him. Jessica Jung. The high school homecoming queen. 

“ why dont you ask Jessica to go get those girls of her from Fashion School, make them take a test for ually transmitted disease and endorse them to Minho?” 

Jonghyun was both please and appalled at my suggestion but im sure he was considering it cause he was suddenly flipping his phone. 

“ maybe we should get him a really pretty boy ~” I said under my breath, its a know fact that Minho has the David Bowie effect. Girls and Boys want him. 

“ your point?” 

“ my point is, THAT GUY. “ I motioned towards my friend, Taemin. He is younger than me but we have the same passion for cooking, but he is more biased with pastry. I could see Jonghyun’s eyes sparkle as he saw him. He agrees too. 

“ gotta go!” I called out. 

--------------------------------------
I had nowhere to go tonight, I just have to celebrate alone and get drunk. 
This bar is my favorite, Its familiar and cheap plus the music is my type. Its still early, 4PM. I dont really plan on getting wasted, I just need to feel the heat. 


“ if it isnt you~” 

I shivered at the voice, I know him. Jay Park. My mortal enemy. If Jonghyun has Minho as a childhood friend, then I have Jay park as my childhood enemy. Smiling at him was the hardest and i swear that my jaw will break one moment but i managed a silent hello and he sat next to me. This perfect day might actually be the worst, I breathed deeply. 

“ so, hows your mom doing in jail?”

He asked, like he was just asking me where the nearest phonebooth is. I closed my eyes and counted to three then slowly opened my eyes. 

“ same old, same old. Crazy. “ 

“ you’ve changed Key. “ 

His hands laid on my shoulders and i violently pushed it away. I was never bullied, never in my life. I am Kim Keybum and Even if my mom is an alcoholic who has debts and killed someone or even if my dad left us. I am nothing , Nothing out of my parents. Sometimes I wondered if this is some sick Joke. How come I want success so much but my own parent are giving up on me? 

“ so have you Jay, balding already?” 

I pointed at his head and sipped the drink. I suddenly dont want to be here right now. 

“ nice try, you still have a foul mouth .” 

“ people tell me its my best quality, i wouldnt want to dissapoint.” With a grin I stood up and paid my bill but he just had to say those words. Those three words that made me black out. 

“ hows your sister?” 

THEN I LOST IT. I grabbed the nearest bottle and smashed it on his head; then there was grappling and blood. Im pretty sure a bar stool hit me in the back and two shot glasses broken on my head. But i couldn’t stop. I accepted everything. College is my new beginning. I accepted the fact that my Mom is an alcoholic and she killed because of its effect as my guidance counselor said. I accepted the fact that my father left us because why wouldnt he? Im actually glad he left us, he spared himself from a destructive family. But I cant accept this. Jay Park talking about my sister. 

I forgot to tell you. He my sister. 

I have such a wonderful life. Dont I? 

---------------------------------


The next thing I know, my head is throbbing and its like begging to be cracked open. I tried to scream, but my body is tired that all i could amanage was to whimper. I opened my eyes and see the red light sign: EMERGENCY ROOM over the curtains that are enclosing me. I could hear voices and cries and the sound of the monitor stuck to my chest. 

I sat up and a jolt of pain in my head came in, 

“ OUCH! “ 

My head was bound in a bandage and I was horrified at the thought of them butchering my perfect hair. I cursed under my breath. But its worth it, I would agree to go bald if I could skin Jay Park alive. I really will. 

The curtain rustled and i tried to compose myself, Im sure the doctor will lecture me and I have to act like im a responsible student who just had a bad day. It opened and my headache got ten times worst, There he is. Standing right infront of me and Im sure he is as shocked as me cause he held the chart tightly. 

Onew. 

“ Fancy seeing you here ~” He offered a smile and i wonder if he knows that his smiles can cause blindness at some point. 

“ Fancy that. “ i replied back and fixed my clothes. I am wearing a generic blue hospital gown.

“ been climbing bathroom cubicles?” 

He is definitely mocking me and the bastard is enjoying it. Is he a doctor?

“ you are too young to be a doctor, “ I commented. His eyes lit up, “ im not, im just a volunteer here. More of an aid, we are packed tonight, im just checking the stable patients.” 

“ so, im okay?” 

“ yes.” He smiled again and came closer with some bandages and a bottle. “ your head is made of steel and the back injury- you are lucky.”

YES! I said to myself, i could say that i slept i this hospital cause its afternoon now. GOOD THINGS Its a Sunday, i dont have much errands to do. I panicked as his hands reached over to my head only to remove the bandages and replace.

I suddenly prayed hard that I looked as dazzling as I usually am. Onew looked at me several times and I had to big my nails to my palms to not melt in a puddle. He was done and as he was finishing up, I could see him clearly now. He is perfect. I blinked again, alot of times and it wouldnt go away. His eyes dissapeared when he smiles, His skin is glowing against the afternoon sun and his lips form the sweetest smile I have ever seen. Then I said the most stupid thing I have ever said, which made me question their diagnosis that I am STABLE already. 

“ are you an angel? “ I said out loud. He eyed me, puzzled. God forbid, he had good hearing too. 

“ why do you ask? “ 

I have to come up with something. 

“ cause im the devil and I need to know that you are not sent here to kill me.” GOAL! Perfect comeback Key! I mentally patted myself on the back. 

“ Yes. I am an Angel.” He answered immediately and opened the curtains, “ But you are too Key, Just fallen.” 

It is close to evening already and I was cleared by the resident physician. I gave snarky comments and all that just to make him think that I will be an unbearable patient and release me. Jay is not here, the club employee sent me here and Jay had his entourage take him to the hospital someplace else. I bowed at the physician and made my way out the hospital. A bus is coming, yes! I dont have to wait long. But there he was, across the street and walking. ONEW. My curiosity got me and before I knew it, i was crossing the street and stalking him. 

I have theories. You see. I think he is a rich kid who actually owns the coffee shop, I mean- his skin is that of someone who never worked hard. Or maybe, he is a traveller and this is one of his stops. But the most appealing, is that he is actually a serial killer who works in the hospital. He walked slowly now and I looked up to where he was going. A church. SERIOUSLY? 

I followed him inside and a mass of people was there , praying and singing. 
“ stop gaping, its insulting.” Onew took my hand and led me to sit down in the back row the Church. It has been years since I attended mass. 

“ I take back the angel comment I made, “ I whispered in his ear and he grinned. I quickly pulled away, the closeness is unbearable. 

“ but i was so flattered, “ he faced me , with his lips pouting. How the hell did I only notice this guy yesterday, when he had been working in the shop for 8 months. He stood up and sang; God, he has a wonderful voice. I dont know if he is showing oof, but it is definitely putting me in a trance. 

After a few words by the priest, we were suddenly holding hands. I tried to pull away but everyone had their eyes closed and sicnerely singing. But i couldnt, I just had to turn my head and watch him. I will be MINHO- this guy if only he wasnt so kind and dangerous at the same time. 

“ pray, “ Onew whispered. I bowed my head and sang along. 


“ Do you believe in wishes?” 

Onew suddenly asked me as we were making our way out of the church and looking at the people lighting candles infront of the statue. 

“ depends, “ I sighed. 

“ For your evil mom to die, I presume.” My eyes twitched at his comment. All the fuzzy feeling I had seemed stiff right now; How did he know about my mom. 

“ i just heard your talks with jonghyun, so- yeah.” Onew stuttered, which I thought is really cute. This guy really makes me change my mood quickly. 

“ i dont want to talk about it- “ 

“ you see, maybe it would be better if you actually talked to her.” 

“it would be like talking to a Drunk person, oh- i forgot. She is an alcoholic.” I replied slyly, we are already outside the church and walking towards the bus stop. 

“ just saying, you know- “ 

Ive heard enough, and my headache striked again. i snapped without meaning it, 

“ you dont know me okay? We are not even friends.” I wish i could take back the words I said cause he stopped and I knew that I ed up the chance to get to know this amazing guy. 

“look,” i tried to explain but no words came out and he is seriously hurt. 

“ yeah. You are right, im sorry. “ he bowed his head and continued walking. 

“ HEY! Im not, dont make me look like the bad guy in here, I am having fun with you. I am, I really am, just dont mention my mom ever, cause- “ He is obviously not listening, cause he was walking and I shouted angrily, “WHY THE DO YOU CARE SO MUCH?” 

He finally stopped and its the first time I saw frustration in his eyes. “ I just do, IM SORRY. I’LL STOP.” 

Then, I was all alone. Alone again. 



------------------------

Its been a week since the ONEW WALKOUT INCIDENT, as i would like to call it. It has been affecting me in ways that I dont even find rational. Like, this morning, I couldnt even wake up without seeing that look Onew gave me when he said he’ll stop caring about me. Plus, ive been avoiding going to the shop with Jonghyun, he couldnt stop going there cause he is pairing taemin with minho. I gave alot of excuses but it all boiled down to something I know I have to do but wont admit. Jonghyun spelled it out for me one Sunday afternoon, 

“ why dont you just apologize?”

It felt like the answer to all my worries. 

So that explains why I look like a complete idiot, standing infront of the coffee shop on a busy Sunday afternoon all alone. Holding a bunch of balloons and a cake box. Sundays in the coffee shop is Deli Family Day. Its a promo, they serve the most delicious sandwiches; even my professors at the culinary school agrees. The idea is family will get together in this shop, they put up outdoor tables, chairs and tents. I spotted Taemin serving some guests and i grabbed him. 

“ when will these sandwich monsters stop eating?” 

“ OH KEY ~ Its a busy day, this will be nonstop.”

“ what do you mean?” i plopped down on the available chair. 

“ it gets pretty crazy on Deli Sunday, so , i can get you a sandwich.”

“NO. I need to see ONEW.” The look on her eyes was something i evil and all knowing. Like ‘ i know what you did key.’ But i smiled sweetly. 

“ well, SPIDERMAN is on the counter, he will be there all day.”

I tilted my head to look, yes, he is there. “ why spiderman?”

“thats our nickname for him.” 

Inside the shop is chaos, everyone wanted to get their order. I understand, it only happens once a week plus they have their families waiting. Two cashiers are open, Minho and Onew. Onew had so much people to serve and I made my towards him, I flashed my widest smile and i gained all their attention with my freaky balloons. 


“ HEY, SPIDERMAN.” I tried to sound like his friend, even if Im supposed to be not friends with him as i said a week before. He turns to me and ignores me the second a customer says his order.

“ LOOK- “ i cut in but the man infront of me pushed me away, “Look Mister! There is a Line, my family is out there waiting for me and i promised a perfect lunch here. Okay?” 

I am appalled. Everyone was now shouting at me to take a number. Then Onew suddenly handed me a number, it read- 123. Then ignored me again. I looked at the screen, NOW SERVING: 85. I almost fainted. 

I am obviously the last one to be served. I sat down on the farthest part of the shop and made sure I have a clear view of Onew. This is funny. I havent even noticed him the eight months he was here, and then just some random talk in a bathroom and a church. It had come to this? Me? The ‘ALMIGHTY KEY’ who wouldnt even say sorry now holding balloons and a cake for this guy. I stared at him, He is obviously tired but he kept smiling. Then i noticed the Crucifix necklace he wore. I never really wanted to take it back, He is an Angel. 

“ number 123 ~ number 123!!”

I Dozed off. I heard the voice and the ringing and i quickly stood up, ATLAST. Onew is smiling at me.

“ IM SORRY.” I blurted out and shoved the cake infront of him and bowed. Like a high school girl. 

“ sorry, we dont serve that here.” He replied. 

“ COME ON! Look, im sorry, i was such a douche that day. I really am, Now, please. “ I rambled, “ I made this last night and this balloons took me alot of trouble – so – “ 

I could feel everyone’s eyes on us. Particularly on me. Minho, Taemin, the store manager, 3 more employees and an awful lot of people inside the deli and the other ten who was behind me in the line. 

“ Just, order something.” 

“ I wont, i wont go here till you accept my apology.” 

“ you- “ he tried to reason out but he is defeated. “ okay!” he sighed and took the box and balloons then i moved away. I willnot go until we talk properly. 

“ you dont mean it!” I protested and Onew spoke without looking at me, serving the next customer. 

“im glad you noticed that.” 

“ Its just, its- thats private you know. Me and my mom and i dont want --- not even my friends talk about it. “ 
“ but i do Key, Thats the kind of friend I am.” He explained, atleast he is talking.

“ I know you have a kind heart Onew, you could even pass as a priest.” His eyes twitched and i wondered but continued, “ but- its just a- sensitive subject for me but i will tell you, in time. I mean, “ 

“ Till then , i will be waiting.” He commented and looked at me, as if saying that I should go. I did. 

I waited for the shop to close and finally caught onew going home, He sat on the plant box and I did too. He was stretching and obviously tired. 

“ My mom is a big problem,” I started and he turned to face me, i could feel my cheeks burning up. 

“ she is an alcoholic who gets caught up in big debts and all that. Then one day, I just had it. I was like, in my last year before college and I walked out and called the police to catch her. Literally begged them to jail her.” I smiled bitterly. “ my sister is now with my aunts and im all alone in this scholarship thing, “ I breathed and looked at his reaction. HE must think that im this dark and empty soul but he smiled. All he did was offer that smile of his for me and I knew it. I couldnt get by another day without this smile. I couldnt, just cant get by another day with Onew. The realization hit me like a hammer. 

“ see? Something i didnt know about you. As for me, My real name is Lee Jinki. And I live alone too, “ This is fun, i thought to myself. I wanna ask him a million questions, 

“ so, are we friends now?” 

“if thats what you want.” 

I nodded and bit my lip. He stood up and fixed his hair and turned to me then i noticed that he is holding the balloons.

“ i will be hanging these on my bed post, “

I laughed and he spoke again, “will you promise me something?” 

I nodded. “dont fall inlove with me.” He replied. 

I was completely stunned and nervous but i managed to let out a hysterical laugh. “you may seem like everything, but you are not my type.” 

He look relieved and waved his hand at me. I was still laughing at what he said but when I stood up, I Felt my knees shake and I looked at my hands only to find it trembling.

======================

Comment please! ^^ and subscribe! ^^