Not Another Happy Ending

Blank Spaces And Empty Canvases

Illustration by Flowerbeer

7 Not Another Happy Ending

 

Happy endings were never objective.

It’s always subjective.

Subjective to what you do with your life.

But life is a , well most of the time.

So no matter how hard you try to pursue you happy ending.

It mostly ends up different than the way you want it to be.

 

***

 

 

Tiffany POV

 

Everything went fast.

 

People gather around me like I’m some kind of in need of attention I realize I’m in a hospital when I saw IV fluids hooked up on me. I tried to speak but I couldn’t because of the tube that was inside my throat. I can’t remember anything; it was all blur and muggy feeling when I tried. Then someone spoke to me and said, “Miss you’re in the ICU unit of this hospital, you’re in a car accident. Your body is still in shock so try not to panic okay.”

 

But I couldn’t contain my emotions; I became more frustrated because I can’t remember anything at all even my name.

 

“Don’t try to speak Miss; you’re going to hurt yourself.” She said.

 

“Doctor she’s still resisting can we take her tube out?” The woman who wore differently from the rest said.

 

“Ms. Kwon your friend is still in shock we cannot take her intubation out, her lungs might collapse again.” The one with the long white coat said.

 

‘My friend?’ I thought to myself confusedly,

 

“Tiffany don’t fight it, it’ll be painful if you do.” She said trying to pacify me.

 

Then I felt calming down.

 

“How long will she be in this Doctor.” My “friend” suddenly asked.

 

“For a few weeks until her vitals are stable.”

 

***

 

Few weeks have passed and still I can’t remember anything. Though the doctor said that I’m probably be able to go home soon. Now my friend Yuri who took care of me from the start I was here said that I will be staying with her for a while until I can get back on my own feet.

 

“It’s okay Tiffany; the doctor said your memories can come back…” She said comforting me.

 

I tried to be hopeful about what the doctor said but I know it’ll be hard for me to remember what my life is.

 

***

 

 

Yuri POV

 

This is my entire fault.

 

I shouldn’t have said that to you.

 

I shouldn’t have let you go.

 

Because if I didn’t let you go and made you come back to her, you wouldn’t be here lying down and can’t remember a single damn thing about your life. Now I’m here to fix this. I’m here to make those broken pieces of you put back together.

 

“Here, this will help the pain.” I gave her the pain killers that the doctor prescribed to her.

 

“Thanks.” She said before taking it.

 

“Your therapy starts tomorrow, are you ready for it?” I asked.

 

“I guess, well I don’t have a choice don’t I?” She said laughing bitterly as she looks at her leg with casted prosthetics on.

 

“It’ll be alright, don’t you worry. I’m here for you.” I said trying to ease her pain.

 

“You must be my really good friend don’t you Yuri?” She said.

 

“You taking care of me it’s as if I’m your wife or something.” She added.

 

I couldn’t tell her about our past because I thought it wasn’t the right time. She’s still barely recovering on the trauma because of what happened to her leg.

 

“Well this is what are friends are for Tiffany, so bear with me for a while.” I said.

 

“Thank you for everything.” She said and with those words I started to feel my heart beating fast again.

 

Only how I wish she knows how much precious she is to me ever since the day I’ve met her.

 

“Don’t mention it.”

 

 

***

 

“How is she doing?” Yoona asked me as we sat down at the regular café that we hangout these days.

 

“She still can’t remember a thing. Though there is a progress on her therapy in walking now.” I said.

 

She suddenly chuckled and said, “I should be angry to her you know? But I couldn’t because if it wasn’t for her… Jessica will be gone by now.”

 

“She must love her so much that she almost sacrificed her life just to save Jessica from the crash.” She added.

 

“The paramedics said that Tiffany lunge herself to Jessica just to protect her from being thrown out of the car by the impact hence the loss of her leg by accident.” She stated.

 

“I couldn’t compete with that. Even if she stole my future wife, I still feel sorry for her.”

 

“We really can’t compete with that but we must have to. Their relationship caused them too much that it became too toxic to have come into this tragedy.” I defended.

 

“We must keep them from each other before danger comes along again. They’re like star-crossed lovers that shouldn’t be together at all. Yoona, for the sake of both of them let’s not make them remember who they were.” I implored.

 

“I guess, we must keep this to ourselves and not speak to it again for as long as we can keep it.” She agreed.

 

 

***

 

 

Yoona POV

 

“Yoona? I can’t see. I- I can’t see!” I was startled by the scream of Jessica as she woke up beside me.

 

“Shh.. Jessica, it’s okay we’re going to the hospital right now.” I started to comfort her and fortunately, she calms down.

 

I got up to get her dressed and went to the hospital as soon as possible.

 

As we got there the doctor and nurses examined her while I patiently waited outside.

 

Then the nurse let me in so the doctor will explain to me what her diagnosis is.

 

“Ms. Im Yoona, your fiancée is having temporary blurry vision because of the blood clot on her optic nerve. We need to do a procedure to her so the clot will be removed and she can attain back her sight.” The doctor explained.

 

“Okay, so when will you do this procedure then? What’s the percentage of her having back her sight again? I asked because I’m getting anxious each passing minute.

 

“Apparently fifty to seventy percent chances are.” He said.

 

I don’t want to gamble but I asked her if she wants to do the procedure.

 

“Jessi, do you want to do this?” I asked.

 

“I can’t live without my sight Yoongie…” She mumbled trying to hold back her tears.

 

I hugged her tightly and calm her.

 

“We will do the procedure.” I said and with that the doctor schedules her procedure right away.

 

***

 

 

“Thank you Yoona.” Jessica woke up after the surgery was finished hours later.

 

“Can you see me Jessi?” I asked nervously.

 

She nodded with tears running down her face because of happiness.

 

“How I wish I remember how much I love you.” She said honestly.

 

“It’s okay, we’ll get there.” I said before kissing her forehead and let her rest for a while.

 

I already told her bits and pieces about her life. But I sifted through the good memories and the bad ones because I don’t want her to remember her lowest point in life. Even if she chose Tiffany over me, I couldn’t stay mad at her. I knew she’s going to do this because she’s too easy to read when she’s feeling guilty and remorse. But that time I regret not saying anything at all because if I had the courage to stop her for going that night, she won’t go through all of this.

 

Yuri was right; their love is toxic to one another. I don’t know why Jessica was always pulled closer by Tiffany it’s as if there’s a magnetic force field that brings them together over and over again.

 

It’s a fatal attraction that should be dismissed.

 

How is it even possible after all those times Tiffany have abandoned her and yet she still comes back like it’s like a faded memory. And it goes on and on all over again until she’s back from the start.

 

Broken.

 

And yet hopelessly in love with her.

 

This is I don’t understand but I still feel envious about it.

 

***

 

 

Jessica POV

 

Words can’t explain how I feel right now. I tried to remember a single memory that I can identify myself as Jessica or Jessi as Yoona calls me. She told me about my life as a writer, in which I’m a successful one she said. Then she gave me the book that I’ve written called, I’ve read it a couple of times trying to decipher why did I write this or what did I meant by those lines. But I couldn’t think of an answer to me series of questions on my head. Now that I just had a successful recovery from my surgery they say I’m lucky enough just to survive this. I always wonder how did I survive that accident with less damaged to myself of I’m the one whose driving? I always ask Yoona about it but it seems like she’s telling different stories every time that topic came up. So I just let her be once in a while I just take my mind off of it.

 

Months have passed after my accident and I always go for a monthly check-up just to make sure I’m fine. It was my Monday morning and Yoona have an interview for work so I went alone to the hospital. While strolling around as I wait for my doctor to arrive I saw a beautiful garden on the roof top just beside my doctor’s clinic. I went there to relax while waiting. Then I saw something or rather someone sitting on the bench. I got curious why she is alone in here.

 

So I went to her and asked, “Hi Miss.”

 

Then she looks at me with innocent eyes.

 

“Hello.” She said.

 

“Why are you alone in here?” I don’t know why but my gut tells me that there is something in her that draws me.

 

“I like the sound of tranquillity here.” She said.

 

“Oh I see, may I join you…?” I trailed.

 

“Stephanie, but you can call me Tiffany.” She said.

 

“Tiffany hmm… But Stephanie sounds better or wait actually Steph sounds perfect.” I don’t why did I just said but I had the urged to.

 

“Huh no one has called me that actually, I like it.” She said.

 

“I’m glad you do. So what brings you here?” I asked nervously as I try not to sound very intrusive.

 

“I just told you that I like it in here.” She mused.

 

“No, what I meant was what brought you here at this hospital.” I chuckled.

 

“Oh sorry I didn’t catch that one.” I laugh all of a sudden.

 

Then I felt laughing with her as well.

 

As the laughter died down she said, “Well I got into a car accident which led me in to these.” She gestured at her casted leg with prosthetics.

 

I felt sorry for her at the moment so I shared my story as well.

 

“I also had a car accident that’s why I am here too. Well to top that off, I almost got blind and still have amnesia.” I don’t know why but I felt saying that to her to ease the tension.

 

“Are we competing whose the worst case of accident here? Well… I have amnesia too then I need another surgery for my leg because of some complications. Beat that huh.” She said as if we were kids fighting over who are the best at being worst.

 

“Okay… I don’t know what else to say. You win? Is that even a good thing?” I said awkwardly.

 

“Nah, its fine.” Then we both laugh at each other again and talk about random things that we know.

 

 

***

 

 

Tiffany POV

 

The light atmosphere stays as we both talk the whole time about basically everything under the sun. It was amazing how both of us just talk to each other like we’re old friends from another planet or something that I couldn’t explain.

 

“You know I have a feeling that we’ve known each other.” I said.

 

“Well the feeling is certainly mutual, I didn’t know you but in an instant it feels like different in a good way.” She said.

 

Laughter came between us over again as we chatted all throughout. Then I noticed the hours that passed through our time together and I have this odd feeling that I don’t want it to end.

 

“I think I should be heading home now, my friend is waiting for me.” I said as I tried to get up slowly but steady.

 

“Are you sure you can manage to go home? I can give you a lift if you want?” She offered.

 

“No, it’s okay I can take a cab.” I replied but it seems like she’s not convinced that I really can manage.

 

“Your friend should’ve accompanied you today so that I won’t be worrying about you getting home safely.” She said.

 

“She’s quite busy so I don’t want to bother her and I need this therapy badly so I could work on my legs again.” I said trying to dismiss the conversation but she really did insist on it.

 

“No I won’t let you take the cab; I’ll take this with me and you’re coming.” She said.

 

Now she took my things with her and we left the garden.

 

***

 

 

“Thanks for the ride, Jessica. Would you like to come in?” I asked politely as a sign of gratitude.

 

“No, I’m fine my fi- friend is waiting for me too. You should get inside now it’s really cold out here.” She said.

 

Then we part ways with a simple goodbye.

 

As I went inside I saw Yuri setting the table for dinner.

 

“How’s the therapy?” She asked then gave me a peck on my cheek.

 

“It’s okay, actually it’s great.” I said.

 

“Huh, that’s new you finally got accustomed to your therapist.”

 

Our meetings in the hospital became more frequent. I basically waited for her every time she has an appointment with her doctor. And she waited for me while I'm in therapy.

 

It was a really good support for both of us that it helps our recovery very quickly.

 

 

***

 

 

Yoona POV

 

"How's your check up, Honey?" I asked while doing the dishes after dinner.

 

“It was fine.” I said smiling at the thought of my pleasant day.

 

“You seem glowing these days. It seems like the recommendations of the doctor for your full recovery has been paying off.” I kissed her forehead after complementing her progress.

 

“So I guess anytime you’ll be done with those visits once you’re cleared by doctor huh?” I praised.

 

“Hmm… I don’t well he hasn’t said anything so probably it might take longer than it should be.” She said.

 

I suddenly had an odd feeling by the way she reacted to my statement. In the first few weeks of her treatment she hated going in the hospital and now it’s like she’s okay with it especially when she goes alone. I don’t know what change her mind but I’m really curious why she suddenly became like this.

 

“Oh okay, do you want me to accompany you on the next one?” I said.

 

“No it’s okay you have other commitments that day I don’t want to bother you.” She said.

 

“Are you sure? Because I can cancel you know…” I insisted.

 

“Yes, I’m very certain.”

 

 

***

 

I couldn’t help myself not to know why she doesn’t want me to accompany her so I secretly followed her that day. To my surprise she greets everybody in the hospital like it’s a school or something. Then I noticed she did not go straight to the doctor’s clinic but instead she went straight ahead to the Physical Therapy section of the hospital. I have a gut feeling that this can lead into something or rather someone that I’m truly afraid of her knowing at this very moment.

 

She entered the room with the most genuine smile that I’ve seen from her. I watched her from afar waiting for who she’s seeing here.

 

My thoughts were disturbed when someone pat my back.

 

“Destiny is playing cruel to us, Yoona.” I turned around to see Yuri smiling bitterly at the scene in front of us.

 

I couldn’t speak for a moment because I’m too stunned in this situation that I’m seeing right now.

 

“Even with the amnesia, they still manage to find each other. How convenient isn’t?” She said sarcastically.

 

“No matter what we try, they still attract each other probably even afterlife time.” I barely manage to say those words.

 

“After all that we’ve been through with them, they always have a place in each other’s hearts even if they don’t remember a damn thing.” She said.

 

“Aren’t you amazed on how they manage to do that?” She added.

 

“All I can think of is that Tiffany still manages to steal Jessica from me again.” I said half-heartedly.

 

“Well to be fair, Jessica is all over Tiffany not the other way around. I mean you know she can’t walk.” Yuri said trying to humour both of us.

 

We laugh for a while but deep down we both know how bitter can it be seeing those two it’s as if we don’t exist in their world.

 

“Look at us, still defending them for their own sake. How pathetic can we still get?” I bemused.

 

“If there is a certain level of being pathetic we’re already at the top you know.” She said and yet again we couldn’t stop laughing.

 

“Well I guess this is it.”

 

“We’re finally letting them go.”

 

 

FIN

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: AYO ERRBODY! haha! Yay! finally it's done! :D hope you all like it :) did you guys missed me? lol just kidding I know you all hate me for having an unplanned hiatus all of a sudden... Now this is my tribute to you guys and I'm happy I finished something like this especially that it is included in soshiaufanfic challenge. It has been a rollercoaster ride for me and now I'm back :D

PS: I'm writing an epilogue for this one but Idk when will I be able to post it  ciao!