Tiny Detailed Memories

Blank Spaces And Empty Canvases

Illustration by Flowerbeer

3 Tiny Detailed Memories

 

Sometimes people come and go.

Just when you need them they shows up for a short period of time,

But that little time you have with them is enough or even better than nothing at all.

 

***

 

“Come on get up!” Krystal grabs my hand to pull me out of my couch.

 

“I don’t want to! I’m sleepy! I want to sleep!” I said like a whiny little kid.

 

Then Krystal releases me and went down to the kitchen. Now I have a feeling that she’s going to do something crazy.

 

“What are you doing in there Jung Soojung! You know I got rid all of the cucumbers you stashed inside my fridge and cabinets!” I yelled.

 

I got no answer from her until she emerges from the kitchen holding a disgusting old looking piece of cucumber.

 

“How did you even-“ I said sounding like a duck as I pinched my nose tightly.

 

“I have secret places of stashing this beauty so you wouldn’t notice.” She said grinning at me like a devil.

 

She went closer and closer threatening to throw that disgusting cucumber to my gorgeous face.

 

“Oh My God! Okay! Okay! I’m getting up!” I screamed for my life as I get out of the couch.

 

“Good. Eat first then get your nasty bum in the shower. I can see squiggly lines coming out of your hair when I look at you.” She said.

 

“Fine.” I grunted.

 

***

 

“Unnie, could you please tell me why did you keep this here?” She showed me the old painting that was given to me by Steph.

 

 

Flashback

 

“Hey Jessi, what are you doing today?” a cheery young lady comes up to me out of nowhere.

 

“Why do you care so much on what am I doing today?” I said.

 

“Well I just want to know if you’re free today so I can invite you to eat ice cream with me.” She said hovering at me.

 

“We’re not friends.” I said trying to ignore her.

 

“We can be if you go with me.” She said looking at me with those dreamy eyes.

 

Now I find it very difficult to ignore her with those eyes. Those eyes are really mesmerizing to look at.

 

“Why do you really insist on being my friend?” I asked.

 

“Because I want to.” She said.

 

I smiled.

 

That was the first time someone came up to me and ask me to be their friend.

 

And it was really a new thing for me.

 

***

 

“What are you doing?” I asked her as I noticed she’s been up all night painting.

 

“I’m making a present.” She said still busy swishing her paint brush back and forth.

 

“A present for whom?” I asked while walking closer to look on what she’s painting on.

 

“Don’t come any closer it’s not done yet.” She chided.

 

I scowled at her but she definitely didn’t noticed since she’s pre-occupied with her paint brush and canvass.

 

“Okay.” I said as I was about to leave her alone when she suddenly screamed, “Done!”

 

She’s smiling again like a kid.

 

“Ta-da!” She stood up and showed me the canvass that she’s working on the entire night.

 

“This is for you Jessi, Happy 18th birthday!”

 

I was surprised that I couldn’t say anything. I just stood there and smiled at her staring, etching every single detail in my memory to remember this sweet moment that she did for me.

 

***

 

“Here, try this on.” Stephanie walking inside my room showing me a floral dress.

 

“What for?” I asked her thinking about what occasion did I missed out.

 

“You are going on a date.” She said yet again being her bubbly self.

 

“With who?” I asked again.

 

“With me.” She said.

 

I laughed a little and said, “Are you hitting on me now?”

 

Then I realized she’s really serious about it.

 

“Yeah, what do you think I’m doing this for? Buying you a dress just for fun?” She said.

 

“Okay, wow this is weird and new to me. Are you really serious?” I asked trying to comprehend what’s going on between us.

 

“Yes I am serious so now put this dress on we’re going to be late on our date.” She said before heading out of the room.

 

I got surprised by her boldness yet again and it was another best thing that has happened to me.

 

***

 

“Steph, Can I ask you something?” I said to break the long silence and awkwardness between us for the past hour.

 

“Go ahead, ask me anything.” She said.

 

“Why did you asked… asked me on a date? We’ve been friends for three years and now you asked me to have a date with you.” I said stammering a little.

 

“Well first, Jessi I like you. I really do like you a lot ever since I’ve seen you at the park, everyday writing seriously on your black little notebook. This may sound stalker-ish but I’ve watched you every single day there before I got the courage to talk to you and ask you to be my friend. But first I thought I should ask you to go on a date with me on that day but I back down and asked you to be my friend first. Because I think that was the right thing to do. And it turns out it really was the right move...”

 

“…I’ve known you better as a person and you made my life different from then on. You became my person. My one and only person who knows me better than anyone else. And I love you for that Jessica Jung….”

 

“…Always and forever.”

 

***

 

“How could you do this to me?” I said while looking at her frail condition inside this white tranquil room.

 

“Why did you not tell me about you have cancer? Do you think I’m that fragile? Do you think I couldn’t take care of you?”

 

“How could you do this to me Steph?” I broke down into tears while holding her hand tightly, afraid of letting go.

 

“I’m sorry Jessi, this is the hardest part for me… getting out of our little happy bubble...”

 

“…When I see you happy every time we’re together… I want to make sure to keep it that way… every single day, every single day I want you to be happy. Because you deserve that. You deserve to be happy…”

 

“… I’m sorry I’m the one causing you unhappiness right now Jessi, I’m sorry…”

 

After hearing those words from her I held up her hand close to where my heart is and move closer to kiss her lips hoping this won’t be the last time.

 

“You’re my happiness…”

 

“…Always and forever.”

 

“Always and forever.”

 

“Remember that.”

 

***

 

End of Flashback

 

“Unnie?” Krystal said as I came back to my reality.

 

“Are you alright? You spaced out there.” She said still holding the painting.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine. I put that in the auction and the buyer will get it by the end of the week so don’t worry about it.” I said.

 

“You sold this? But this is-“

 

“Krystal I don’t want to talk about it okay, I’m getting rid of it anyway.” I said as it pains me to say those words.

 

Then she kept mum and put back the painting from where it was placed.

 

“You know what? I need a lift to the grocery store, let’s go Krys.” I said making the atmosphere lighter this time.

 

“Okay let’s go to the grocery store and buy you cucumbers.” She teased.

 

“I will kill you if you do that.”