T for Toska

26 letters of unrequitedness

# T for Toska:

Last night Jungshin had a dream. He heard someone calling his name; hoarse voice echoing in the air was full of grace like drops of dew falling from the petals of a flower. He kept on running in a world submerged in whiteness, until light spilled like a flood over his eyes; and Jungshin woke, finding himself sleeping beneath a rowan tree. Jonghyun was standing there in front of him, smiling; his shadow cascaded on him. He gave him a hand, yet when Jungshin was about to reach it vanished like a gleam of smoke. He grabbed nothing but air.

Jungshin.

He heard Jonghyun call again. His hand was still there, albeit his smile dwindled as if he was about to cry. Jungshin was running on the ground, barefoot, to chase after Jonghyun. His feet bled and torn, his lung tightened as he gasped, feeling like everything was going to explode.

Still he could not reach him. And Jonghyun just vanished like a gleam of smoke.

When he was hurled back from his sleep, Jungshin was dripping in sweat like after shower. His hands were still empty and his eyes were swollen with tears. Outside the window, the pale gleam of moonlight was illumining the horizon.