J for Jaaneman

26 letters of unrequitedness

# J for Jaaneman:

When Jonghyun came back from India, he kept on muttering the word “jaaneman”. It was neither English nor Korean, but Urdu; and Jonghyun had never been good at learning foreign languages. The word would make a weird, goofy exoticism upon being pronounced on Jonghyun’s lips, and whenever he grinned at Jungshin repeating the same phrase unknowingly, the younger boy could not hold back his laughter.

“The girl at where I did homestay keep telling me she wanted to be my jaaneman, but I forgot to ask her what it was.”

He told Jungshin, eyes busy sticking on the computer’s screen where colorful dots kept moving and clashing with each other. The bassist knew too well, that his brother would never bother to look up the word even though he was surfing on the Internet for the whole day. Hence he did it himself. And after hours of playing games, just like before the guitarist would fall asleep on his bed, sometimes in his dreams he would murmur a word sounded like “jaaneman”.

That night, when outside the universe was wearing a glittering dress the color of the moon, Jungshin breathed as he caressed Jonghyun’s jawline,  in a voice choked with nameless emotions.

“You are surely my jaaneman, but I am not”.