N for Nocturne

26 letters of unrequitedness

# N for Nocturne:

It is now two in the morning. Jungshin opens his eyes for the third time; everything surrounded was drowned in a dead silence. The room was filled with complete darkness, except for the street lights wriggling from outside the window. Softly, but Jungshin can still hear the nightlife’s whispers, with cars honking and footsteps padding on the pavements. After all, Seoul is a city that never sleeps.

The soft sheet rubs against his skin, twisted as Jungshin tosses and turns onto his side. It is not the first time for him to experience insomnia, but it is the first time for him to face sleepless nights this much. And these days no matter what time he goes to sleep, Jungshin always wakes up at two in the morning. He has read somewhere that, two o’clock is the time for poets to pour melancholy into words and for lost lovers to yearn for things they cannot have in return. Although he does not understand why the saying would suggest such ideas, Jungshin cannot help but agree that, two o’clock is the time when solitude is at its fullest.

At two, only him is left behind in this world. Alone, silenced, conquered and accepted. At two, even the air has fallen still, the only thing in motion are the clock hands that will not stop moving forward. 

And two o’clock is the only time when Jungshin can hear his heart’s nocturne.