The First Night

God Help Us

We had arrived at my house but the night was still among us. We sat in our cars as we were parked in my driveway.

 

            Lay: So how we gonna do this?

            You: Well like you said, we can check the trunks.

            Lay: Well yea but, what if we get attacked before we can even open it up?

 

Kai and the others were still on speaker.

 

            Kai: Find something that you could possibly use as a weapon for now. I found a screwdriver.

            You: Um~ Lay, look under the drivers’ seat. There might be something under there.

 

Lay reaches under the seat and pulls out a hammer.

 

            Lay: I found a hammer.

            You: All right.

            Chorong: But only two of you will have weapons.

            You: … Lay, Kai? I’m gonna need you guys to watch my back while I check the trunks.

            Lay and Kai: Ok

            Kai: I’m opening mine’s now.

 

We watched as Kai opened his trunk with the button on his keys. I nodded to Chorong to do the same.

 

            You: All right, you three girls stay inside.

            Jessica: Be careful.

            Chorong: We’ll let you guys know if we see anything.

            You: Ok, sounds good.

 

Lay, Kai, and I all slowly exited our cars and made way to the trunks. It was quiet. I went over to Kai’s car to grab the wrench he had said that was in there first. I slowly made my way to my car and opened the trunk quietly. All I found were a few boxes.

 

            You: I’m gonna need a bit of time to search these boxes.

            Kai: Ok but hurry.

 

This was my parents car so who knows what’s in these boxes. I searched through a couple of boxes but they were just clothes and other useless stuff. I then spotted a long box in the back. I grabbed it and quietly opened it. I couldn’t believe my eyes. We couldn’t have been anymore luckier.

 

            You: *quietly* Guys! It’s a freaking sword!

            Lay: Why do you have a sword in your car?!

            You: Don’t ask me. This is my parents car.

            Kai: What were they planning to do with that sword?

            You: Don’t know. But no more questions. We gotta search the house in case something’s in there.

            Kai: Right. Let’s go.

 

Kai grabbed the wrench from me and left Jessica and Krystal the screwdriver. I walked over to Chorong to grab the house key. The three of us then made our way to the front door and I noticed that the door had blood on it. I tried for the door handle but it was locked.

 

            You: Whoever’s blood this is, they must’ve been trying to get in.

 

I grabbed the key and unlocked the door. I went over to turn the lights on until I felt Lay grab my shoulder.

 

            Lay: I wouldn’t do that.

            You: Why not?

            Lay: You turn that switch on and this house is gonna be like a bright Christmas tree in the middle of a forest.

            You: Ah~ true. We’re gonna have to cover up all the windows before doing so then. For now, I guess we’ll have to use our phones as flashlights.

 

We all grabbed our phones and searched the whole house. It seemed empty so we had Kai go bring the girls in while Lay and I covered up every single window. I then locked the door once everyone was inside. Lay turned the lights on and we all went over to the living room to sit and come up with a plan for survival.

 

            You: So what’s the plan?

            Kai: I have no clue.

            Lay: Well first off, we’re gonna have to do everything while there’s sunlight. It’s not safe at night.

            All: …

            You: I guess, we should all find better weapons. Well not me obviously.

            Jessica: We’re gonna need weapons too.

            You: There might be something in the garage.

 

I stood up and walked to the garage. I could see Chorong following behind me. I went inside the garage and the first thing I saw was a broom stick. I grabbed it and snapped the brush end of it off. I passed it to Chorong and continued to search. I couldn’t find anything else good enough so we both went back inside. As we made our way back, I could see Kai and Lay boarding up the front door with furniture.

 

            You: Think we should block the garage door too?

            Lay: That’d be the safest thing to do.

 

Lay and I had brought over some other furniture and blocked the garage door.

 

            You: Now what?

            Jessica: It’s pretty late now. We should call it a night.

            Kai: We should take turns keeping watch. We never know what might happen in the middle of the night.

            You: I’ll take the first watch then.

            Chorong: N…

            You: This is my house and you are all my guests. So therefore, I must take the first watch.

            Chorong: Aish~ fine.

            Lay: I’ll stay up with you. We should have at least two people up.

            Jessica: That does sound safer.

            Krystal: *pokes Jessica’s arm* …Sleepy..

            Jessica: Where can Krystal sleep?

            You: Umm~ I guess you two can share the first guest room, Chorong and Kai can take the second guest room, and then Lay and I can take my room.

            Lay: We’ll switch turns every three hours.

            You: Sounds good.

            Chorong: Be careful guys.

            Kai: Yea, if you guys start to get tired, let me know. I’ll stay up with you guys.

            You: All right. Well you guys should go get some sleep.

            Chorong: Ok. Goodnight.

            Kai and Jung sisters: Goodnight.

 

We watched them all go to their rooms.

 

            You: Man~ what are we gonna do for three hours?

            Lay: I don’t know. But we gotta do something to keep us awake.

            You: Coffee?

            Lay: You can start boiling water. I’m good for now though.

            You: Ok.

 

I went over to the kitchen and prepared the coffee. After doing so, I joined Lay back in the living room… Two and half hours passed and it just now hit 12:30. Lay and I have been sitting here drinking coffee and trying to stay up. Another thirty minutes passed and Lay’s body had finally given out on him. I just watched as he knocked out and laid himself on the ground.

 

            You: I can do this. They all need their sleep. I’m the host so it’s my responsibility to make sure they’re safe through the night.

 

I got myself a few cups of coffee and prepared myself for a long night.

………………………….

8:00 am

………………………….

 

I heard doors open from upstairs and watched as Chorong and Kai walked down.

 

            You: Good morning.

            Chorong: Huh? What are you still doing down here?

            Kai: You were suppose to wake us up! Where’s Lay?

            You: *points to Lay’s sleeping body* He knocked out.

            Chorong: Why didn’t you wake him up?! It’s dangerous for you to be up by yourself.

            Kai: You’re not taking any of the night watches tonight.

            You: No, it’s okay really.

 

Lay then wakes up.

 

            Lay: *yawns* Good morning.

            Kai: Why’d you fall asleep!? You left __________ hanging.

            Lay: Huh? Oh! I’m so sorry~

            You: It’s fine. I wanted to take all the shifts.

            Kai: Aish~ You…

 

Just then, the Jung sisters finally joined us.

 

            Kai: *sigh* Well what do we do now?

            Jessica: We should check on our families. Make sure they’re all right.

            Chorong: Yea… Oh, ________, aren’t your parents suppose to be home today?

            You: …Yea… They are. I hope they’re okay…

            All: …

            You: Well anyways, we can’t continue throughout the day on an empty stomach. I’ll cook something for us.

            Chorong: No. You’ve done enough.

            Jessica: Krystal and I can cook. We haven’t done much for the group so we’ll start by getting us food.

            You: *sigh* All right.

 

As the Jung sisters went off to the kitchen to make food, I decided to check around the area. I peeked through the windows next to the front door and saw nothing. I decided to go up to my room and charge my phone while we waited. Before I was able to jump onto my bed, I had heard something coming from outside. It sounded like people talking. I snuck towards my window and looked outside. You could see houses and cars bunched up on the streets from the window view. I noticed some movement by the front door of the house next to us. I looked closer. Just then, one man and one woman came into view. I watched them as they slowly walked across the street. They walked over to a house across the street, which was out of sight. I leaned to the side more to try and see them but the next thing I saw was them running down the street. I saw the man pull out a gun and start shooting something that was out of my sight. Soon, I could see zombies just walking towards them. I was about to take off to go help them but the man suddenly fell. I watched the man get ripped apart by those dead monsters. The girl soon met the same fate. I ran and dropped near the toilet and vomited. Seeing that made me come to tears. It made me think.. What if Chorong and the others were to meet that same fate? I wouldn’t be able bare it. I stood up and walked over to wash my face and mouth. I walked back downstairs to the kitchen with my head down.

 

            Jessica: Food’s almost done.

            Chorong: Came just in time _________... Hm? What’s wrong?

            Lay: You look sick.

            You: Outside… Walkers… Two people……… Dead…

            Kai: What?!

            Lay: Shhhh~~~ If they’re outside then we need to be quiet.

 

Lay went over to a window to check out the situation.

 

            Lay: We can’t stay here. There’s quite a bit of them out there.

            Kai: Well where are we to go?

            You: We’ll go to each of our houses to pack up everything necessary and we’ll go from there.

            Kai: Ok.

            You: But for now, let’s just eat.