Ninth Chapter

Bad Flower

 

 

 

 

 

Family and Friends.

Family is a group of people united by certain convictions or a common affiliation regardless of being blood related or not.

Friends are our favored companions.

Who else do we turn to during those times of sorrow, and even those times of troubles?


 

But if two people who suffered under much sorrow and troubles in their lives…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

…are they willing to share those times with each other aside from their family and friends?

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

MO NAE

 

“We have to discuss something. No, we don’t HAVE to, but we NEED to.” Tae Ra unnie dragged me to my room when dinner ended.

 

She closed the door and locked it.

 

“Unnie?”

 

“Mo Nae, this is about Shim Gun Wook. Mom told me not to mention it ever again to you, but I believe you have the right to know this.”

 

I was surprised she didn’t use her ascetic tone while explaining.

 

“What is it, unnie?” I asked.

 

“Do you know what happened to him after you shot him?” she asked me back.

 

I shook my head and bit my lower lip. Tomorrow’s my wedding and I don’t want to present myself with swollen eyes.

 

“But you believe he died?” she asked again.

 

“Yes.” I answered.

 

I looked at her and saw the group of tears in the corner of her eyes. My sister has always been a strong woman that I can even count in my fingers the number of times I’ve seen her crying, but now, she looks so vulnerable in front of me.

 

“He disappeared after that and we didn’t hear anything from him. That made me conclude that—“ I wasn’t able to control my tears anymore.

“—that he died after what I did. Unnie!” I held her arms like a little sister asking for protection.

“Am I going to jail? What about my child? How will we live inside there? It wouldn’t be good for my baby for our delicate condition.”

 

Both of us were crying as I shook her shoulders lightly.

All of a sudden, she hugged me oh so tightly that I felt myself getting weaker in her arms. She has never been affectionate towards me. Or maybe she has, but she doesn’t show it.

 

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have opened up this topic to you. Especially with your condition and your wedding is tomorrow.” She said as she soothes me.

 

I hugged her back as tightly as she did. I love this feeling. The sisterly love that I thought we never had.

 

“But unnie, I can feel there’s something else you want to tell me.” I told her as I sensed her still tensed body pressed against mine.

 

“Hush! This isn’t the right time to be talking about those things. There’s a right time for everything.” She clarified.

 

She let go of me and touched my face. “Have I told you before how much I care for you? Most importantly, how much I love you?” And more tears were coming out from her eyes.

 

I felt that the same amount of tears was coming out of mine too.

 

“Unnie.” I said softly.

 

“Congratulations, Mo Nae. You’ll be a wife tomorrow and you’ll be a mother in no time. I’ve experienced it all and what I’m saying is that I’m always here by your side, okay? I might be the imperfect sister that you have, but be reminded that no matter what happens, you can always count on me.”

 

I nodded at her while her hands were still my cheeks. Then she hugged me again.

 

“I can’t believe my little sister is getting married! I’m happy for you!”

 

I smiled at her remark. “I love you, unnie.”

 

 

 

“Where is she?”

 

We both pulled out as we heard a familiar voice outside the room. My eyes widened as I recognize it. I ran quickly to open the door.

 

“Be careful! You’re pregnant!” Tae Ra unnie shouted.

 

“Oppa!” I was right. It was him. It was definitely him.

 

“How’s my youngest sister?”

 

“Oppa.” I pouted at him.

 

“Why are you crying?” he asked.

 

I looked back at Tae Ra unnie to give the clue to his question.

 

“I’m glad you came, Tae Sung.” Unnie said.

 

“I couldn’t afford to miss a grand wedding, could I?” he asked and stared at me.

 

He touched my stomach lightly and rubbed it.

 

“I hope my niece or nephew would not be so stubborn like its mother.”

 

“OPPA!”

 

He laughed and gave me a hug.

 

“You never grow up, do you? Even if you’ll be having your baby soon, you will always be my little sister. If he hurts you, I’ll crash him to pieces.”

 

Tae Ra unnie walked towards us and joined as we employed ourselves into a group hug.

This is indeed a memorable night for me. A night before my wedding and my family is complete.

Even if my mind still has the curiosity about Gun Wook oppa in it, I’d like to treasure this rare moments of us together.

It’s really delightful to feel your family’s undying love for you.

 

---------------------------------------------------------

 

JI HOO

I’ve been rolling over and over on my bed for endless hours. This is bad. Tomorrow’s gonna be my wedding and I still couldn’t get some sleep. I turned to my left again to view the huge wall clock hanging in my room.

Two o’clock in the morning.

Great. The rite will start at ten, which means I should all be prepared at that time, which also means that I should be awake earlier than ten for the last minute preparations.

I sat up on bed accepting the reality that I won’t be getting any sleep tonight. What should I call this? Nervousness? Or maybe better referred to as Excitement?

I sighed and reached for my phone. If I’ll stay up all night, I need some company.

 

“Yes, hello?”  The irritated tone of the Ex-Casanova of the group answered.

 

“Can you go out?” I asked him.

 

There was a pause before he spoke again. He must have checked the time.

 

“Yoon Ji Hoo, are you insane? It’s past 2 in the morning. Your wedding is at 10 and you’re asking me to go out? What is your problem?”

 

“Yi Jeong, come on. I just need some company. I’ll call the others after this.” I still tried to persuade him.

 

I heard a deep breath and some movements.

 

“Alright, man. I’ll be there. Message me the place.”

 

A wide grin spread across my lips.

 

“Thanks, man.”

 

I ended the call to start another for the rest of my friends. I got the same reactions from the two of them, most particularly the ever stubborn Gu Jun Pyo. I had a hard time convincing him especially now that Jan Di is pregnant.

Well, at least I got the chance to talk to them before I become a husband. I’ve been occupied with a lot of work lately and been busy attending to Mo Nae and the child’s needs. Their lives are so precious that I wouldn’t be able to put up with it if one of them leaves me. These things were the ones that encumbered me from having any hang outs with my friends.

 

I saw Woo Bin when I entered the café. He’s always the early bird. I immediately walked to him and sat on the chair opposite him.

 

“How long have you been waiting?” I asked.

 

“I just arrived.” He replied.

 

Just as we’re engaging to another topic, Yi Jeong appeared with Jun Pyo behind him.

 

“We coincidentally saw each other on the way.” Yi Jeong said and took the seat beside me. Jun Pyo directed to the seat beside Woo Bin.

 

“So what’s up with the sudden meeting?” Jun Pyo asked while covering his mouth as a hiccup escaped from it.

 

All of them looked at me. I looked back at each one of them. As odd as it sounds, but I can’t deny that I’ve missed spending time with them.

 

“I know the time is inappropriate. I just couldn’t help—— “

 

I scanned them one by one with my eyes.

 

“——but to miss you, guys.” I concluded.

 

They all gave me the same odd look on their faces.

 

“Oh please.” Woo Bin retaliated.

 

“What?” I asked ignorantly.

 

“Hong Mo Nae is really something!” Jun Pyo exclaimed.

 

I don’t know why Mo Nae’s name was involved in the conversation. I’m asking myself if there was something wrong with what I said.

 

“I agree!” Yi Jeong seconded Jun Pyo’s motion.

“Who could imagine she could turn the cold and quiet Yoon Ji Hoo into an atrocious cheese!”

 

It was then when I realized the meaning of my words. I could only chuckle and scrape my nape as my body’s response.

 

“I—uh—I meant it, you know.” I admitted while still scratching my head.

 

“To Mo Nae be the glory!” Jun Pyo teased again.

 

“Yah!” I yelled at him.

 

“Alright, dude. We missed you, too.” Yi Jeong backed up.

 

“I didn’t!” Jun Pyo countered.

 

Woo Bin lightly smacked his head.

“Don’t be a liar, Gu Jun Pyo! You’ll be a father in a few months. It’s not good to teach your kid to tell lies, is it?”

 

“Okay! I get it!” Jun Pyo surrendered. He then looked at me and smirked. “But let me remind you, I’m not the only soon-to-be-father here.”

 

The three focused their attentions on me again.

 

“So— uhm— did you— you know— did you enjoy it?” Yi Jeong asked.

 

“Of course he did!” Woo Bin answered. “What makes me curious is how they did it!”

 

Seriously, these guys. They never get tired.

 

“The big question is—“ It was Yi Jeong’s turn once again. “Do you love her?”

 

I gave him a smile. “The Ex-Casanova here knows what love is now?”

 

“Ahem! For your information, Yoon Ji Hoo, you’re not the only engaged man here! It’s just that you’re going to be married tomorrow. Erhm, I mean, later.”

 

“To Ga Eul be the glory as well!” Jun Pyo’s awaken state was back again.

 

We let the night pass with our laughters and jokes just like the old times, and we lost track of time. It was already five thirty when we decided to go to our respective homes and get some sleep— for less than three hours, I guess.

I lied down on my bed and thought of what my life would be twenty-four hours from now.

I turned to my right and stared at the empty space. After this day, this space would be fulfilled by the two most important people in my life right now my wife and my child.

As I closed my eyes, I remember Yi Jeong’s question earlier that didn’t get a proper reply.

 

‘Do you love her?’

 

Yi Jeong was right. That’s the big question.

A big question which will be answered later this day.

 

———

 

———

 

———

 

I put a hand over my mouth as I yawned drowsily in this wedding hall. I’m really a bit sleepy right now. Thanks to my craziness last night.

Every guest that would come in congratulated me. I saw my friends already talking in a corner. I’m happy to see Ga Eul and Jae Kyung made it here. This will happen once in my life and I appreciate their efforts to leave their busy schedules just to make me feel their presence.

An evident smile never left my lips as I looked at them.

 

I was all spaced out that I didn’t notice the march has begun.

My head turned to the sound of the footsteps approaching my place. There, I saw an angel. No, not an angel anymore, but a Goddess making her way towards me— towards my life.

Every vein and every artery inside my organs suddenly liven up as I stared at her enthralling magnificence. She’s indeed an indescribable human being sent here on earth to be given to me. Only to me and not to anyone else.

 

 

 

As we declared our wedding vows, I can’t tear my eyes off her. I sensed her shyness as her cheeks’ natural blush won over the blush on she was wearing. I smiled at her cuteness and that’s when I heard my most awaited line on this moment.

 

“You may kiss the bride.”

 

We faced each other. Her head was down to hide the coyness over the matter. I can’t help, but grin. I slowly lifted her chin and stooped my head down towards the lips that I always claimed to be mine.

 

Slowly, but surely.

 

I don’t care if all the people’s eyes are on us. This is our wedding and not theirs.

It seemed that she also forgot the mass of guests we have here. We both came from rich and well-known families, so we don’t know how many people were invited. Even our fingers and toes combined together might not be able to count them, but we really didn’t mind as we continued relishing our kiss.

 

Ten minutes.

I’ll give myself ten minutes and I’ll stop this. We have our whole lifetime to do this, but this one is one of a kind. Because it is the moment that I will tell her those words— the words that my heart is screaming all over my being. The answer to Yi Jeong’s big question last night.

 

“I love you.” I spoke softly as our lips parted and I looked in her eyes.

 

Her reaction was priceless. She looked straight at me and searched for the truth.

I gave her one quick peck.

 

“I’m not lying, so if I were you, I would stop giving stares like that because here—”

 

I put one of her hands to the location of my heart.

 

“— here, you can feel the truth.”

 

Her eyes brightened and the corners of curved upwards.

That’s all I want to see. The smile which always makes me float with the clouds in the sky

 

As we went down to join the rest of our family and friends with our hands interlocked together, I was sure. Sure that this is the beginning of my bliss. My bliss shared with her.

 

An unexpected marriage that turned out to be my most wanted one.

I can’t believe that it has finally come. The day which I can legally and officially call her MINE.

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

 

I want to extend my greetings to the readers and also to the haters, if there are any.

Thank you for wasting your time here in this story.

Merry Christmas and a Wondeful 2012 to all of you.