Sixth Chapter

Bad Flower

 

 

 

 

 

Relationships are crazy.

It’s like a wheel of emotions where the two people involved could feel anything.

They could be happy or sad, angry or scared. Anything could happen.

But one thing is for sure, those two people should know how to handle every circumstance for their relationship to grow.

 

But if the persons are just tied up into a great responsibility that they have to face…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

…could they manage the most devastating news they would receive?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

JI HOO

When we came back to our table, my friends were already there. I don’t know where the elders were. They might be talking or dancing somewhere. Some people are getting ready to go to their respective homes.

 

“Hey man! What’s up with your life?” The most mature Woo Bin asked me.

 

I eyed him and asked back, “Why do you ask?”

 

“Before anything else, let’s get ourselves introduced to this young lady here.” Yi Jeong said referring to Mo Nae whose hand was still in mine.

 

“Right.” I calmly said and turned to her.

 

“This is So Yi Jeong and Song Woo Bin. They are the rest of F4. You’ve seen Jun Pyo earlier.”

 

Then I turned to my friends.

 

“This is Hong Mo Nae.”

 

“Hong?” They asked synchronously.

 

The two of us just looked at them with question marks on our faces.

 

“As in the Hong family of the Haeshin group?”

 

Obviously, I didn’t know this fact so I didn’t answer them.

 

“Yeah.” Mo Nae shyly said.

 

I’ve heard of the Haeshin group, but I didn’t know Mo Nae is a part of the family that runs the business. Well, she’s too young to be involved in that anyway. That’s right, she’s still studying. How would she handle having a child at this time? I feel guilty. I feel like I just ruined her future.

 

“What’s with the face, man?” Yi Jeong asked.

 

I shook my head at him.

 

“Ji Hoo” Woo Bin said which made us all turn to him.

“Tell us honestly, what’s between the two of you?”

 

I was about to shake my head again to tell them that there’s nothing between us.

 

“Don’t even try.” He stopped me from doing it.

“I don’t think there’s nothing between two people who have been embracing each other while swinging to the music.” He continued.

 

I sighed in defeat. I know we couldn’t hide this thing forever. It will be revealed some day, so what’s wrong with making that day today?

 

 “She’s—“

 

I looked at her again to make sure she’s not against me telling them about it. She smiled meekly and looked down on the ground.

I looked at my friends again.

 

“She’s conceiving my child.” I told them.

 

I felt Mo Nae’s grip to my hand tightened as I said those words.

 

If only a person’s jaw could fall and reach the ground, Woo Bin’s and Yi Jeong’s would probably be rolling on the floor right now.

 

Woo Bin seemed to regain his state first and replied, “Stop joking around. It’s not even funny. This is the Gu’s event for their baby and you’re telling us that you’re having yours too? What, will the two of you have a party like this as well? Is this your way of inviting us?”

 

His tone of voice showed that he was irritated.

 

“I’m not kidding. Do I look like the type who’d joke about something like this?”

 

Fortunately, Yi Jeong seemed to understand me.

 

“He’s right. It’s not good to joke about this, so—“ He turned to Mo Nae and I.

“Congratulations to the both of you.” He told us and smiled.

 

“I can’t believe it!” Woo Bin exclaimed.

“I’m sorry if I sounded like stupid a while ago. I just— I couldn’t believe that you would have a child before Yi Jeong and I. You were always the clever type and never did it cross my mind that you would do it.”

 

“Me too.” I shortly said.

 

I didn’t want to elaborate more about it, so I turned to face Mo Nae to tell her that I would send her home. But she was looking at something behind me. Her eyes were wide; her free hand was shaking as it covered . It was as if she just saw some kind of a monster. Her expression made me curious so I turned around and saw the rest of her family members with my grandfather.

 

“Is it true? You are pregnant?” Tae Ra asked her.

 

By the looks of it, she was angry. Of course, she was. Her younger sister just got pregnant without the sanctity of marriage.

 

Mo Nae didn’t respond directly at the question.

 

“I’m sorry,” was her reply instead.

 

Tae Ra then looked at me. “How did this happen?”

 

“Ahem” Grandfather intruded.

“Sorry to in, but I don’t think this is the appropriate place to talk about this. Let’s go somewhere peaceful.” He suggested.

 

Although fury was painted all over their faces, they all agreed to grandpa’s suggestion and so did we.

 

“See you, man. Good luck.” Yi Jeong said and patted my shoulder.

 

I smiled at them and didn’t say anything in return. We would be facing endless interrogation in a moment.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

MO NAE

“Congratulations!”

“You two look good together!”

“We’re looking forward to the wedding!”

 

These were the words of the people from different fields during our engagement party. My family was mad at me for being careless. I got endless scolding particularly from my sister. She dearly loves to reprimand me.

My mom, on the other hand, was more than willing to let Ji Hoo marry me. He was, after all, the grandson of a former president. And my dad didn’t have any arguments since this isn’t the first time that I will be engaged. The only thing is that there is a living thing inside me now.

But upon deeming the pros and cons of the matter, both parties concurred to have a wedding as soon as possible. They want us to be married before the child is born, so they prepared the engagement party. It is for the business world and the press to know, so that they won’t be surprised for the sudden nuptials.

I wasn’t against it, myself. In fact, I really like the idea. Yoon Ji Hoo is a nice man and I know I would be happy with him. I just don’t know how to raise a child, but that could be solved. He didn’t become a doctor for nothing.

The thing I don’t like is that I still have to continue my studies. What if my belly starts to grow bigger? I wouldn’t want my schoolmates to see me that way, would I?

 

 

 

And here comes another boring day at school. Why do I still have to do this? It makes my day useless. But why? Why do I feel this way? I was enjoying my studies back then, but not now. Maybe this is an effect of having a tiny object in my stomach.

I decided to pass by the hospital when my classes ended. I drove my way there and looked for Ji Hoo’s office as soon as I reach the place.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

JI HOO

“What are you doing here?”

 

I was surprised to see Mo Nae when I entered my office. Today has been really stressful. There was a huge accident and we had to perform different emergency operations to multiple people.

 

“I just wanted to see you.” She replied as she stood up from the couch.

 

I sat down on my chair and began reading some charts that were placed on the table.

 

“As you can see, I’m not really in the mood to play games right now. Why don’t you go home? Let’s talk some other day.”

 

It’s true. I’m not really in the mood. I’m all stressed out from work and I still have to continue with the charts.

 

“But I don’t want to go home yet.” She replied.

 

I looked up to her again to ask, “How did you get here? Did you bring your car?”

 

She nodded and made her way to me.

 

She picked one of the charts and flipped the pages. “What are you doing? Maybe I could do something to help.”

 

I slammed my pen on the table.

 

“Are you deaf? I said I don’t want to talk right now! You should be home doing your schoolworks! You even had the guts to drive! Why even bother going here?”

 

She put the chart back on the table and walked backwards. She was looking at me with fear. She clutched her bag when she reached the couch and ran to the door.

 

“Sorry.” She said with her back facing me, before completely going out of the room.

 

Her voice was cracked when she said the last word. She was crying. It was the first time I raised my voice on her.

I face palmed myself as I stared at the empty mark where she just stood. Oh dear, she’s pregnant. She shouldn’t feel those emotions. God, I’m so dim-witted. I was proclaimed as a doctor when I couldn’t properly take care of my fiancée who’s having my baby.

I stood up and went out of my office to follow her. Being the older one, I should understand her. She grrew up being a brat. She would really act childish at times. I should get used to this. It was my fault that this happened to her and I should be amenable enough to handle our situation.

I saw her walking on the hallway with her head down. I quickly ran and hugged her when I reached the spot where she was.

 

“Sorry.” I said.

“I was just so frazzled. There are a lot of nerve-racking things that happened today. Sorry if I have put it all on you.”

 

She didn’t say anything. She just place her arms around me as her sobs died down slowly.

Even if our relationship occurred without love, I should at least show some affection. Her condition isn’t a laughingstock. It is something that needs to be taken seriously.

 

“Also, I was worried. Did you know there was an accident? What if something bad happen while you’re driving out there? Are you aware of how that would crash my heart?”

 

I let go of her and caressed her cheeks that were still wet with tears.

 

“You shouldn’t be crying like this. Let me think. How about we go somewhere and have some fun?” I tried to sound as energetic as possible even if I was exhausted.

 

“But you still have work and you’re weary.” She replied.

 

I smiled at her.

 

“I could set that aside. Just let me see your smile and all my fatigue would disappear.”

 

It worked. Her lips formed into an arch, an irresistible smile.

I pinched her nose and cheeks.

 

“That’s it. Good girl. Let’s go back first. I’ll just change this doctor’s coat and I’ll make sure that beam won’t be erased from your lovely face.”

 

She willingly followed me as I held her hand back to my office.

 

“Are you happy?” She asked out of the blue.

 

“Of course, I am. I’m having a child with you. Any man would be happy about that.” I replied.

 

It was an overstatement. Yes, I am happy about the news and all. But we still couldn’t escape the truth that we don’t love each other. Well, I don’t know about her feelings, but me, to be honest, I still don’t. Everything just happened so fast.

 

“Are you sure?” She asked again.

 

I stopped walking and faced her.

 

“You know what?” I asked her.

 

“What?”

 

“Happiness doesn’t start with ‘H’ now.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Because it starts with you.”

 

Another cheesy line from me. Is this me? I’m not sure either, but all I know is, I have to make her happy for the baby to grow healthy.

 

“You sure have a lot of deadly lines today.” She said while laughing.

 

I just smiled and resumed walking.

When I was about to open the door of my room, she tugged my hand to stop me.

 

“What?” I asked.

 

“I—“

 

She held her stomach as her upper body slowly curved down.

 

“It hurts. Ah!” She screamed.

 

Panic began to take over my body. There were droplets of sweat forming on her forehead and even though I don’t feel it, I could tell that she was in pain. A lot of pain to be exact.

She was holding her abdomen - the place where our seven-week old baby is growing. And at that moment, I knew there was something wrong going on with it.

 

 

 

“What happened?” I asked Doctor Hwang when she went out of the room.

I wanted to be the one to personally examine her, but they contradicted me. They told me that I might not work on it correctly because it was my child’s and my fiancée’s – my family’s lives that were at stake.

 

The doctor gave me an apologetic look and held my shoulder. The next sentence she uttered made my heart broken. It was the most ravaging news I’ve heard. I haven’t felt such pain for a while now and I felt my tears rolled down my face uncontrollably.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------