The Lady in Black; The Next Client

Wise Flower Guiding the Stars
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was a little over a month after the entire JiYong ordeal that fate handed me my next “client.” I hadn't seen much of the idol as he was to keep a low profile (company orders), but I would get the occasional text asking how I was doing. Even Taeyang managed to get my number and would text too, asking how classes were and if I was eating properly (I wasn't, but we'll talk about that later).

It was a lazy Thursday and I was on my way to work after a long day of classes and rehearsals. The concept of double majoring and double minoring was lovely, but put in practice and it sometimes felt like torture. I had just finished rehearsal for the school’s upcoming winter production of Fame, where I (ironically) play the role of the “confident dancer Carmen Diaz.” Yup, we’re staying true to the original Broadway script. Even though I was cynical about being cast as Carmen, I was quietly honored by the role. It was my first role in a musical production since my eighth grade year when I starred (and I use that term loosely) as the wicked Stepmother in the musical adaptation of Cinderella as well as Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz. So I was pretty psyched.

I finally arrived at ZZXYZ, humming along to the musical’s title track that was on repeat in my head. Already changed in my all-black attire, I began my pre-opening duties of stocking glassware, stocking liquors, arranging the bar, etc. My coworkers wouldn’t show up for at least another hour, so it was just me and the bouncers. I was going around minding my business when I heard my phone go off, signalling a text. I wiped my hands clean of glass cleaner and walked to my purse and fished out my phone.

1 NEW MESSAGE

I swiped open my phone and entered the passcode (an alpha-numeric 2877, standing for BTS7, my K-pop obsession. Goddamn that Jungkook…so young and yet he’s already stolen my heart). I quickly read the message, noticing that it was from JiYong.

Sender: JiYong Oppa

Hey JJ. I just wanted to let you know I’m sending someone your way. She’s in a predicament and I think she can really benefit from your advice.

ps-she’s an idol

I stared at my phone, not sure what to do or how to respond (do I text back, do I call and yell, do I smash my phone against the wall…). I decided on the former.

Sender: Ju JiYoung

Arasso, thank you for letting me know. Hope all is well with you too JiYong ssi.

send.

. Wrong suffix. I quickly sent another text.

Sender: JJ JiYoung

I mean JiYong oppa. Mianhae. Hwaiting!

I hesitated at the “hwaiting” ending before muttering “oh it” and hitting the “send” button. I sighed and threw my phone back into my purse and continued my work. If JiYong was to be true to his word (which he was thus far), then I was to expect another idol customer seeking my advice (God knows who or why) sometime this evening. I picked up where I left cleaning the counter and continued along with my routine of getting the bar ready for what I anticipated to be a fairly easy night. 

Sure enough, within fifteen minutes of his text, a petite female figure, also clad in all black with her hair tucked in a hat and with a mask over her face, hesitantly approached the bar and took a seat. I didn’t stop what I was doing, but I did slow my actions enough to get a peek at her. She must be that idol JiYong texted about. Who is she...and more importantly, why is she here? I shifted my focus from prepping garnishes and turned towards her, bowing in greeting.

“Annyeonghaseyo, agassi. Can...can I help you?”

The lady in black didn’t move, and I was tempted to wave my hand in front of her face to see if she was even “here” when she suddenly spoke.

“Kwon JiYong ssi told me about you.”

I my lips and nodded slowly as I tried to figure out what to say next.

“Majayo, he told me to expect you too…”

“He said you were very supportive and helpful in listening and giving advice…” Her voice trailed off as her eyes met mine. I blinked several times, still unsure of how to respond to this mystery idol.

A slim hand reached up and pulled down the mask while the other removed the cap as long, black hair cascaded down. My eyes probably doubled in size when I realized who she was.

She politely bowed her head and smiled weakly. “Annyeonghaseyo, Min Sunye imnida.”

I tried to keep my jaw from dropping as her identity hit me. Sunye, leader of Wonder Girls. I wasn’t the biggest fan of the Wonder Girls (I much preferred MissA, but there was no way I would tell her that), but regardless of where my K-pop loyalties lie, Sunye and the Wonder Girls were pioneers for girls in K-pop, being the first to debut at the beginning of the Hallyu wave. I quickly bowed a full 90-degree bow, smacking my head on the bar. Sunye stifled a laugh. Aish!

“Ne, annyeonghaseyo Sunye ssi. Jeon Ju JiYoung ieyo.”

Sunye smiled, this time a little more naturally. “Ne, I know. And as I said, JiYong has spoken highly of you, which is impressive. The only time he speaks highly of anything is of music or fashion.”

I couldn’t help but laugh at her comment. It was pretty accurate. But she still didn’t state why she was here. She hinted at it earlier, but…

“When JiYong was in the midst of his scandal, he said you helped counsel him,” she began, speaking s

Please log in to read the full chapter