Monday Music Video Review: The Boys — SNSD. ♫

i'm your seoulmate ㅡ kpop blog ☆


Hot Comeback: The Boys — Girls' Generation (소녀시대) || SM Entertainment


 Review by loveniel ⌨

  • Appearance   10/10

These girls look fantastic. I love Sunny's new hair, she suits it so well; and with the loaded eyeliner and fierce look... GAH.
Seohyun's hair in the MV is love, I'm gunna attempt at trying to do that to my hair one day. LOL IT WON'T WORK
I also really like Taeyeon's hair, with the pink on the ends. Hyoyeon looks really good too. <3
their outfits are really gorgeous too, and based on their appearance, they definitely deserve a 10 out of 10.

  • Choreography  9/1o

The flow of the dancing is really nice, and my favorite choreography is that little leg popping thing they do from 1:39-1:40 & 4:49-4:50. My second favorite part is from 2:13-2:17, it looks like they're fishing, lol.
SNSD is a group that dances well, so I wasn't surprised/disappointed or anything when I saw them dance.

  • Lyrics  10/10

The english lyrics were good, and I really like the meaning behind this song, haha. They're basically saying that they're the best or whatever.
I prefer them singing these lyrics over saying "Oppa!" every five seconds and talking to a taxi (whatever that song was about)...

  • Music Video  12/15

Does anyone else think that the beginning of the music video was kinda pointless..? -cricket- Okay then.
When I first saw the teasers, I was kinda mad that they were ALL just of Yoona, lol.
Anyways, my favorite set is when Yuri starts the bridge, the "I wanna dance right now". I like how there's like sand all over the floor and a huge, grey diamond or jewel behind them. And the continuous rose petal falling thing was cool too.
What got me kind of mad was at the end of the music video, when Tiffany's wearing that cap and kinda looks like a gangster, showed that scene only once during the whole MV. I thought Tiffany looked really pretty in that scene, and I was like, Y NO HAVE MORE SCENES.

  • Part Division  5/10

Iamdisapoint. Okay, first of all, I thought Tiffany was the best English speaker in SNSD. And she's also like the second or third best singer. She only had like two or three parts in the song. Instead, they gave all the parts that Tiffany could've sang to Jessica.
It's obvious that Jessica has the most singing lines in the song, if not, than the second most. I know that they have nine girls in the group, but couldn't they have divided the parts more equally?
Can anyone tell me when SNSD started rapping..? o_o The chorus is kinda rapping-singing, and the bridge has Yuri and Yoona rapping. I checked the Wiki page for SNSD yesterday, and it said that Yuri and Sooyoung are now the main rappers. LOL K.

  • Performance  10/10

I saw the MR removed video and WOW, I was impressed.
I thought they were one of those groups that lip-synched most of the song, but man was I wrong.
They sang the whole thing (except for Jessica's high part "Girls bring the boys out"). Bravo, SNSD. 

  • Popularity  10/10

There's not much of an explanation for this. As soon as their soundtrack got released, all their songs dominated the top 10 places, hahaha.
The Boys is currently #2 and Mr. Taxi is #4 at Soribada, and The Boys is #7 and Mr. Taxi is #11 at Bugs. :)

  • Singing  9/10

Is it just me or did they improve tremendously on their singing? Sunny, Seohyun, and especially Yoona got strong vocals.
When I first heard Yoona's voice, I was like... *O* I love her voice! It's so mature and powerful.
Seohyun's vibrato killed me, and Sunny had some too. Of course, Taeyeon never fails to impress me with her singing.
They're not Davichi or anything, but they improved. A lot. *clap clap clap mad man*

  • Song  10/15

This song... isn't that good. SONES DON'T KILL ME.
To be honest, I didn't like Gee or Tell Me Your Wish, but I really liked Mr. Taxi, Hoot, Run Devil Run, Chocolate Love, and Oh.
I can tell that Teddy Riley was trying to be different from their other songs—I'll give him points for that, but I don't really like it.
There are some parts that I like to it though. I like the parts when Seohyun and Taeyeon belt out the parts before the chorus.
The part I don't like is the bridge... it sounds like some Britney Spears song, OTL. This song is still on my iPod playlist, and it's not that bad.

  • Bonus Points  3/5

One bonus point for making a comeback approximately one year from Hoot. :D
Two extra points for me actually being excited for a girl group comeback. Job well done!

  • Bias(es): Tiffany & Taeyeon :)

88/100 ||  85 + 3  = 88 % 


 Review by nacseux ⌨

  • Appearance   10/10

this pretty much speaks for itself.
At first, i was quite suprised with their change in concept, but for some reason, i found it quite effective, and frankly, it looked quite attractive. The thing that most likely caught my eye, and probably many other sones Sunny's hair.
Daaaayyyyum! It was hot. Why hadn't she gone for that look earlier?! She definitely climbed up my bias list because of that.
Taeyeon, also, looked very good, her new hair suited her.

  • Choreography  8.5/1o

impressed. now usually snsd's dances are quite simple, and easy to follow, and i'm sure a lot of sones can admit it.
i
'm in no way saying  that it's bad, but most of their dances are quite easy to follow by just watching it.
my favourite move by far would definitely have to be the bridge/breakdown at about 3:35-3:45. impressed.
The dance isn't as powerful as some girl groups, but i definitely see great improvement.
The only thing that irks me is the fact that they completely changed their style of dancing, in some ways, it's a good things, in some ways, not really.
I also like this dance move at 2:25-2:30, though i'd probably look like a complete idiot trying to do it.
pretty hot.

  • Lyrics  9/10

again, i'm quite impressed. yes, i know Teddy Riley wrote this song.
the english is good, no cliche lines, to "wtf-worthy" lyrics. i like.
has quite some meaning too, rather than their regular, "Oppa! i love you!"
Also, Jessica's "GG." that was pretty hot. and in the background, is it me or is she saying "D-R-X"?
in the live she says "girls are back" but in the video, i'm convinced she says "D-R-X."
i don't know, feel free to try and convince me otherwise. 

  • Music Video  10.5/15

to be honest... i was pretty bored throughout a great portion of the music video.
the beginning and ending = uneccessary. at first, i was like, "oh hello snsd... and falling rose petals." 
it was pretty hot for while. then it went 
on for like what, 1:00+? i got bored.
And just like any other regular SM video, it pretty much is just dancing in a room. Could've done better. Though, their pretty faces kept me interested. 
Also, Yoona...again?! i get it, she's beautiful, but why not Taeyeon since she's the leader? Seems like a legit reason, right?
"Taeyeon finds a big black diamond, and inside are her beautiful members." 
seems legit to me
.

  • Part Division  5/10

she exhales deeply as she tells apart the different voices overlaying eachother within the track.
come on! the whole song is pretty much Jessica/Taeyeon. I know, I know, they're main vocals and of course their supposed to have the most lines, but come on SM! A little more lines for everyone else wouldn't hurt...right?
gotta give em' props for giving hyoyeon/sooyoung lines. even if it is just "rapping."

  • Performance  10/10

their performance was mind-blowing.
taeyeons live voice is definitely something, her adlib(s) were quite stable, impressive.
the dance was very strong and synchronised too.

  • Popularity  10/10

10 million views in five days.
enough said.

  • Singing  8/10

i've got to say, seohyun impressed me. a lot.
both her and taeyeons belting were very, very impressive. i think a lot of that improved.
though on my point of view, don't kill me, jessica stans, but i think her voice wasn't as strong as it could've been. with quite a fierce song, i think she could've put more into it..she sounds kinda autotuned too. don't kill me.
Also, snsd rapping?! never in my 5 years of kpop, had i thought of that.
didn't hate it, didn't like it too much. pretty neutral. ngeh.

  • Song  12/15

i like it, but in all honesty, it could have been better. I was all excited, watching the teaser, and when i watched the MV, it was kind of a let down.
the fact that they completely flipped and turned around their concept was kind of hard to grasp in such a short period of time.
though, now that i've listened to it a bit more, i like it.
still could've been better, but it's not horrible, or to the extent that i wouldn't listen to it, because i do. a lot.

  • Bonus Points  3/5

one bonus point for making me excited.
another bonus point for taking a risk, bravo.
last bonus point for making me go around the school singing it.

  • Bias(es): Tiffany :)

86/100 ||  83 + 3  = 86 % 


Eye-candy of the Week 


loveniel's & onkeysangtae's SNSD bias ever since Gee: Tiffany. ♥
if it wasn't obvious by loveniel's ranting.


Remember to request for Mondays and Wednesdays by clicking the smiley face —> 

 S ubscribe to our blogfic to know what we think about the latest music videosrecommended fanfictions and talk about celebrities! 

 C omment to let us know what you think about our opinions!

until wednesday,  bye-yeom