Chapter 7

Dare to Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Audio Chapter 7

       The alarm rang at six, half an hour before he usually woke up. Beside him, Jin-sang let out a soft sigh and turned his head, rubbing an eye.

       “Want me to take him?”

       Kan shook his head. “Sleep in today. I’ll drop by the office on my way back and we’ll leave for the meeting at noon.” It was a rare day that they would let themselves a day off or even go in late, but the meetings at the other end of the city with potential business partners were one of the occasions they allowed themselves as much.

       Jin-sang couldn’t bring himself to argue. Tugging his husband down for a quick sleepy peck on the lips, he turned in once again after a mumbled ‘love you’.

       Running a hand through his hair, Kan left the room as quietly as he could, idly wondering what state that the two boys would be in. The last night, when the two had arrived they were welcomed by the sight of the two fast asleep next to each other, Taehyung’s hand in Jungkook’s. Both of them could find it to be nothing but adorable.

       What made it all the more endearing was the intuition that they were by no means a couple yet- no, if that were the case then one of them would have noticed. His fear that they might have woken up in the middle of the night confused was quickly cleared when he opened the door, the look of curiosity in his expression quickly changing to amusement.

       If they’d woken up, Kan was sure, they sure wouldn’t have stayed on the same bed to risk the embarrassment that would likely turn them beet red in the next few minutes.

       “Tae...”

       Taehyung let out the softest of whines, turning his head away from whatever it was he was nestled into and brought up a hand to rub his eye. He could see the faintest hints of sunlight peeked through his window through squinted eyes, and ascertained that he was up earlier than usual. The alarm didn’t ring yet, he noted absently, and decided that he’d woken up too early. The sky was still dark enough. Setting back against the pillow, he began to turn his head again till his cheek brushed against an unfamiliar texture that he couldn’t immediately place.

       “Ahem. Jungkook, it’s time to wake up,” a voice sing-songed and Taehyung’s eyes shot open. Jungkook!

       Hearing his name being called, Jungkook struggled to stay asleep a bit longer, noting duly that it wasn't his mother's voice that had called him, but he was more comfortable now that he had been any other time he recalled.

       Habitually nuzzling his face against his pillow- Jungkook finally noticed that something was different. Blinking his eyes open and untangling his fingers from the material they were clinging to, he rubbed at one eye in an effort to clear his vision before he realizes just who he was looking up at and he froze for a moment.

       It’s in a simultaneous, oddly synced moment that they realize the position they are in and then end up practically flying in different directions. Taehyung’s back hit the wall, and Jungkook too had pulled away so quickly that he ended up falling off the bed in the process and landing on his rear with an (almost) quiet yelp.

       Taehyung could feel the blood steadily rising to his cheeks. Instinct kicked in soon enough to momentarily push away the embarrassment and he cleared his throat, crawling over to the side of the bed. “Um… you okay?” His brows raised in concern, Taehyung glanced over the side of the bed.

       A noise distracted him, and Taehyung turned his attention to Kan who was barely succeeding in holding back a snicker. They met eyes and it was all Taehyung could manage to not outright glare at Kan when the man spoke up. “I’ll…be in the living room. Whenever you’re ready to go home, Jungkook.”

       Jungkook was embarrassed enough that he was caught in such an intimate position by the other's father, but it was even more disconcerting with how the older male seemed to emanate with a teasing sense of knowing something while casually informing him of where he would be so he could go home.

       As Kan left the room, Taehyung held back a sigh of resignation and returned his attention to his classmate. “I…guess that nap ended up a little longer than planned.”  He stared and shifted awkwardly because he wasn't entirely sure what to do. A part of him thought his parents trusted him too much—really, what parents would be snickering at a sight such as that? They could have been doing anything the last night! But at realizing he couldn't remember the last time he'd done something bad and tried to hide it, that became invalid. Of course, he would never hear the end of the teasing.

       Albeit a little distractedly at first, Jungkook nodded and turned to Taehyung. "Yeah... just a bit..." he allowed with a small smile, lightening up the mood and dispelling some of the awkwardness that hung in the air.

       "I... Uhm... thanks though. I did need the rest..." Jungkook mumbled, skillfully avoiding discussing the dream for the moment. "Care to help me gather my books?" He asked after a moment, slowly moving to stand.

       "Books! Right." Taehyung bolted up and started to collect the books that were scattered around, carefully piling in different sets his own and Jungkook's books. "Well," he let out a small sheepish laugh, "guess I did too. Dad probably called your mom already. Got your phone?"

       Beginning to gather the items he recognized as his own, Jungkook quickly realized that somehow nearly everything had been removed from his school bag as he started attempting to place everything inside once again. Hearing the question about his phone, he placed the bag down on the bed and started patting his pockets before dropping to his hands and knees and looking on the floor. Failing to see it from that angle he stood again and glanced around the room, finally seeing it next to a picture frame.

       "Oh! There it is!" Jungkook shuffled over and picked the device up. Checking the battery level, he cringed, "It’s not going to survive the day though." Turning back to face Taehyung he pocketed the device. "I... I trust your dad did call her though. My phone doesn't have twelve-hundred missed messages."

       Taehyung chuckled softly, feeling a sense of relief in knowing that Jungkook’s mother wasn’t worrying about her missing son. But then, he wasn’t sure how often Jungkook decided to crash at friend’s places without warning her. “I don’t know how long you’ll have to charge it when you get home.”

       "It’s okay. I'll grab my charger and charge it during a break. If I hide it I won't get in trouble." Jungkook offers the solution with a grin and shrug as though he had done it before (he hadn't). "Did you...?" he started asking about the dream before glancing at the door, afraid that Taehyung’s parents would over hear them. Jungkook tossed the last book in his bag before zipping it up and nonchalantly as possible asking, "Did I leave my hoodie downstairs yesterday?"

       Taehyung glanced up, expression contemplative as he looked around and grabbed the hoodie from where it had been placed- in a corner behind the bean bag chair- and walked over to hand it to the other. "I did," he murmured and headed out, keeping his voice low, "have lunch with me today? I'll be outside at the bleachers."

       Taking his hoodie with a word of thanks, Jungkook slipped it on before tossing his bag over his shoulder and following Taehyung. Instinctively reaching out, he grabbed Taehyung's hand and leaned in slightly to reply just as quietly, "Okay, it's a date."

       He stated it without a thought, but a smile crept up on Taehyung’s lips as he nodded in response while Jungkook continued. "But we also have to plan for you to come with to the performance, don't forget."

       "Interesting term. Date after all the cuddling? I think we're doing it wrong," Taehyung mused, laughing off the incident. Of course they knew exactly why they were in that position, but Kan sure wouldn't have seen it that way.

       Jungkook was a bit surprised when he realized just what phrase he had used. Offering a sheepish smile he shrugged, "No one ever said going out of order occasionally was a bad thing."

       It was only then that Jungkook pulled back, knowing full well that Kan was a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter