Epilogue

Dare to Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

       Jungkook wasn't entirely certain how he had managed to get up to the roof of the practice building- although that might have had something to do with the fact that he wasn't alone.

       Looking out over the cityscape, Jungkook found himself smiling lightly. The events since the last dream they had had been fairly normal, but he was grateful he was still able to spend time with Taehyung now. Gently grasping at the wall as he looked ahead he observed out loud, "This view is really... beautiful." He finally admitted, knowing he could use such terms around Taehyung comfortably at this point without worrying about how it sounded.

       Though he didn't voice it, didn't even nod, Taehyung's agreement was spoken in the look of pure fascination and admiration in his gaze and the way his lips were parted as he gazed up at the horizon. He had always been a child of the city, so to see it with the background of a setting sun that cast its rays which bounced off countless buildings and melded into the horizon was very near breath taking.

       "I can't believe you don't come up here more often," Taehyung mumbled as he sat on the ledge of the raised platform under which was some machinery that Taehyung didn't know any more about. "It's so amazing."

       "It's to make it so that I can continue to appreciate it whole heartedly. Besides, I don't need the rest of the group trying to claim this area too." He admitted, the last thought being more of an acknowledgment that this might change at one point- but not yet. It had been a few months since he last saw this sight, and even that instance seemed to pale a bit in comparison to this time around. Something felt more right this time, "But it's never seemed more perfect..." he voiced softly. His gaze momentarily slipping to Taehyung before snapping back to the sky- something that had become a bit of a habit recently, trying to admire without getting caught.

       A laugh spilled from Taehyung's lips at the words, but he had to agree. Even he would be a little selfish in keeping a spot like this to himself for as long as he could, and so far Jungkook seemed to be doing a good job of it. Which was also why it gave him a warm feeling in his stomach that the other was still willing to share it with him.

       That thought was lingering in his mind when from the corner of his eye, he caught Jungkook’s attention on him again, tugging a smile at his lips when the other looked away. Taehyung wasn't oblivious to this, though at first he thought the feeling of eyes on him was a product of narcissism. But when he had caught it once by accident, he was happy to accept that it wasn't. Swiping his tongue over his bottom lip, he chewed on it gently as he averted his eyes before turning them up to Jungkook.

       "Well, not all good things have to be like that, y'know," there was a purpose to these words and Taehyung could only hope that the conversation would come around to that, "I mean... they don't always get less enjoyable because you get to experience it more."

       "No?" Jungkook found himself turning his attention back to Taehyung, "But things like amazing views of the sky and exciting roller coaster rides seem to..." he trailed off, his stomach doing a little nervous flip.

       He had a vague idea where this topic could lead and just the thought of everything finally coming into the open made him excited, but also skittish. He wouldn't have to hold it down anymore, but how would it turn out? If his instincts were right, it wouldn't be terrible but he had also never done any type of romantic or any relationship stuff really, before. Unless you count the last dream where Taehyung basically stole his first kiss- that was as close as he had come in his life thus far to a relationship-like action, because that was the best way he could think to classify it.

       When Taehyung's gaze met Jungkook's, it was clear in his eyes that he was waiting for the other boy to come to the realization that he did midway through the sentence. The reaction to it however was what made him nervous. It was odd that somehow in their conversations the question of either person’s uality had not come up, despite the fact that they had flirted quite a bit. It was Taehyung who would start it every time, and while the other had always reciprocated the responses were such that it could have been interpreted for a reluctant reply.

       Kan called it being shy (not that he had asked but the man offered after a text popped up on Taehyung's phone screen in the middle of dinner and dear god, he hoped never to have to go through the teasing that night ever again), and maybe that was what had made him finalize the possibility that what Yejun last said before Seungyoon and he left the two had everything to do with maybe feeling that way about guys, and maybe more specifically- Taehyung.

       He didn't want to force it out of the other, because even though his worries were probably unwarranted, they were there.

       "You don't seem to be getting tired of watching me." His gaze was fixed on the horizon as he said it, a teasing edge in his voice and a playful smirk as he looked over at the other, that invited the other to deny it if he wished.

       At Taehyung's reply, Jungkook's eyes widened slightly as his cheeks immediately took on a light pink hue. He had been caught. He had been caught big time apparently if Taehyung's light teasing could be read that way- and for Jungkook right now, it really could- but he was also shocked he had been called out on it like this.

       Instead of floundering about with his reply or even lying though, Jungkook looked back at the sky as he went through a multitude of replies in his head faster than ever before, there was a moment’s pause before he finally said softly, "That's because you're different. A roller coaster never changes paths, and the sun will always set after it has risen, but there's no one else quite like Kim Taehyung."

       It was so incredibly cheesy, but the words made Taehyung's stomach flip and heart swell because of all the things that he had expected Jungkook to say or do, this was not one of them. Barely containing his smile, he stared at the ground and waited a moment to find the right words and for the color to leave his cheeks a little. What could he say to that? To say he felt the same way was an understatement.

       "You're cheesy," he mumbled finally and swayed to bump his shoulder against Jungkook’s gently. "But I like that." Voice small but clear, he continued. "I like a lot of things about you."

       Jungkook barely swallowed back the reply of, 'only with you' because he was positive they both knew that by now. With BTS he was the maknae who only spoke up to give his view, or defend himself most of the time; and at school he just avoided speaking- and if he was forced to speak it was filled with sass and snark and attitude; but with Taehyung he was more relaxed (like how he was at the bakery or almost like when with BTS members outside of practice) the difference being that with Taehyung, he never found himself doubting the choice, or getting irked because of something stupid (like he could be with Jimin's very existence on occasion).

       Cheeks still sporting a faint color as he let Taehyung's words settle with him, he didn't bother hiding his smile as he continued to watch the sky. "Really? That's funny..." he started, his gaze locked on the sky for the courage he needed to actually say words like this, "Because I like a lot of things about you too..." considering he had had a small crush on Taehyung before they ever started talking, he knew he could have said that line way before now had he let it slip. But as they got to know one another, a little crush had morphed into something stronger and even deeper. He had first been terrified at that realization, but now he knew he could accept it- especially now that he had finally come this far with his own internal battle.

       He liked Taehyung, and he figured getting that much out in the open couldn't be detrimental- if the way Yejun and Seung-yoon had spoken were a hint, anyway.

       There was something that had changed about Jungkook over the past few days that had Taehyung bringing his hopes up despite his better reasoning. Jungkook was so reserved most of the time, and carried about him such an atmosphere that set Taehyung on edge because he couldn't be sure whether if he brought up the subject of them, Jungkook would push it off or if the reaction would be one he desired.

       Even as they were sitting there, the confidence he had built up to be a little more open was because of that minor change in the way that Jungkook acted. So with the clichéd butterflies in his stomach, he managed to continue sounding calmer than he could hope to actually be at that moment.

       "Then maybe since I like you and you like me," his gaze was fixed on the horizon, much like Jungkook, but as he continued he turned his gaze to the other. "We could give this a name." They were very close, and that wasn't helping a bit with the nervousness and Taehyung's voice dropped a little, becoming softer with the proposition. "Like a name that would make it okay for me to kiss you again like in that dream, but whenever we hangout and not just when we're trying to run from royal guards." He chewed on his bottom lip, a coy but playful smile on his lips.

       "Because that might not happen again. And like I said, the other part is something I could get used to. And that," Taehyung ended with a look to Jungkook that was as much anticipation as nervousness, "would be probably more appropriate if I referred to you as my boyfriend. If, you know, you would like that too."

       Jungkook swore he wasn't going to come across as weak to anyone, no matter the situation (and even if he was weak, he wouldn't show it) but he felt weak right now. The defenses he had meticulously built up over the years, the very same defenses that had started to crack with every day spent with Taehyung, had pretty much disintegrated as he finally met the other's gaze. His heart racing with every word that slipped from Taehyung's lips, and his stomach twisting and feeling funny and fuzzy (which despite how it sounds, felt more pleasant than he could ever have guessed), Jungkook was almost positive that the warmth and that he felt had taken form of a tint of pink across his cheeks and possibly even the tips of his ears, but he ignored that concern as he realized what had just been uttered by Taehyung.

       Would he like to refer to Taehyung as his boyfriend? The word ‘like’ at this point felt so tame, but also completely accurate. The kiss from the dream coming up again didn't help the tint on his cheeks. His first kiss had quite literally been a dream, and there was one detail he hadn’t admitted yet- he wanted to feel the same thing for real now with the very same person; and he knew now he didn't have to be nervous or ashamed for wanting to feel that again.

       "I really like that name..." Jungkook muttered softly, glancing around them before adding, "And there is definitely no royal guards to be worried about, at least in this century." He gave Taehyung a playful smile that also showed just how shy Jungkook was about this topic. His crush, the first guy he truly liked, had just become his boyfriend- he almost regretted being unable to confess on his own sooner; but he figured this setting was probably the best place anyway, so maybe the timing wasn't as bad as he thought.

       Taehyung for one hadn’t realized just how unsure he was of how the other would react until a myriad of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter