Chapter 8

Dare to Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Audio Chapter 8

        Sitting back slightly, Jungkook eyed the paper before them carefully, looking over the ‘as neatly as possible’ written words depicting the layout as they knew it to be, before looking over at Taehyung.

        "I think... I think we did it. Do you see anything we could have missed?"

        Taehyung took a moment more to study the map they had managed to put together, and finally shook his head.

        While Jungkook had seated himself on the chair after much moving around to draw out the map, Taehyung had made himself comfortable on top of the large work table that the gardening club used, cleaned down after their meeting that ended about two hours ago. It was amazing how long they took to finish the thing, Jungkook thought, and didn't even realize how much time had passed.

        "I think that's it." Hearing Taehyung's response in agreement to having mapped it all out, Jungkook visibly relaxed as he eyed the map again.

        A frown crossed Taehyung’s expression for a moment as he studied the map again, tipping his head. "I guess it makes sense why they never attempted sneaking outside of the grounds for some privacy. Would have been impossible for Seung-yoon to get anywhere without being noticed and questioned at some point."

        "You're right... it would have been impossible..." He mumbled quietly as he continued studying the map, an idea slowly forming in the back of his mind. They had long since agreed that Taehyung’s hunch from reading Seung-yoon’s and Yejun’s work was probably correct. Maybe there were ghosts involved. Maybe they were looking for closure, a different ending. In any case, both Jungkook and Taehyung had resigned themselves to the thought that this wasn’t something that would leave them very soon.

         "But... what if they didn't know they were looking at Seung-yoon? What if Seung-yoon wasn't wearing his normal royal attire?" He started questioning, using a tone that implied that he was asking 'hypothetically,' but the moment he looked up it was clear he had a plan.

        Taehyung seemed to be considering it, but his expression spoke of a concern that couldn’t quite be solved with switching out royal attire for normal clothes. It was reasonable. There was still the possibility of many recognizing him, especially when at the gates. What guard who worked in the palace would not know the face of the crown prince?

         Jungkook dispelled those doubts as he spoke up again, "So, Taehyung. Do you think you could handle wearing traditional women's clothing for a little while?"

        When he looked up, all Taehyung could do was blink.

        "Wait, women's?" For a second, Taehyung paled a tiny bit, and then flushed slightly at another thought. He cleared his throat and shrugged a shoulder. "Well... if the dream happens again, y'know..." he added quietly, reaching for the pencils strewn about, "I make for a pretty convincing girl in costume."

        "It has to be women's clothing. If it's men's Seung-yoon, or you in this case, would still be recognizable as the prince. Throw on a woman's outfit and some lip color and no guard would look twice. No prince would ever do something so scandalous after all, right?" He reasoned, smiling a bit.

        Jungkook had to admit though, now that the idea was on the table, he was curious as to what the other would look like dressed as a girl.

        Taehyung pursed his lips to the side and glanced back at the map, locating Seungyoon's rooms. "But where would you get a random girl's dress?" The servant's quarters were a possibility but the women's quarters were a little further.

        "I can get it." Jungkook pointed to an area in the map, "If I remember correctly, I start in this area right here. And we normally meet right..." he moved his other hand to point at the map, "here. But... if I go this way..." he traced a path before pausing at a point about a third of the way from his starting point, "This is where the servants’ clothing dries. There's a good chance I can find an outfit there to use and then meet you." Taehyung nodded pensively.

        "If it does happen again... we should be prepared. We have to learn how to dress you like a female if we're going to convince a Joseon period guard that you're a woman and not the crown prince."

        Glancing up, Taehyung raised his brows. "Are you suggesting we try it?"

        Jungkook furrowed his brows slightly at the question, "Depends, would you rather spend an eternity trying to figure out traditional clothing while we have guards breathing down our necks?"

        "I...guess we should do that. Where though?" Taehyung glanced at the other questioningly, "I mean. Not exactly like I have any women's clothing laying around to try it."

        There was a definite point to Taehyung's logic, so it took Jungkook a moment to think it over before he came up with an idea, "My place. I know of a way to get my hands on an outfit to practice with. Oh! And if my mom asks, we're simply doing an extensive history project. That's the most effective way to get her to leave us alone... she hated history classes in school." He paused as he pulled out his phone to send a message. "When should we... 'practice'?"

        Amusement lit Taehyung’s eyes, and he shook his head with a small smile that had a meaning behind it that Jungkook couldn’t place. But it was gone before he could question it—Taehyung hummed in thought before shrugging, “now?”

        "Now?" Jungkook found himself echoing as he took another look at his phone, sending another quick message he immediately turned back to Taehyung, "We can do now. And if we stop by the bakery on the way I can get a period replica outfit we can use to practice with." He replied with a slight smile, "It helps to have connections most would overlook, right?" He attempted to joke before looking at their supplies. "I suppose we should clean up first though..." he mumbled before standing up and beginning to gather their belongings.

        Taehyung only laughed and agreed before joining him. Before long, the two were off.

 

 

        Half a block away from the bakery, Taehyung wasn't sure if he was only imagining the near heavenly aroma, but his senses weren't lying to him whether it was thanks to them being simply great or because food was almost equal to happiness in Taehyung's mind.

        The smile held its place on his lips as the two stepped towards the bakery and he held the door open to let Jungkook in first, his stomach twisting with a nervous feeling that could only be attributed to nervousness at the eve of meeting someone he would have to impress. Taehyung didn't dwell too long on that thought, realizing that it would only make him a stuttering flushed mess to pin point the reason and origin for such a feeling. Quietly, he stepped in behind Jungkook.

        Giving a soft word of thanks to Taehyung as he entered the bakery, Jungkook paused as he waited for the other to enter before going over to the counter and calling into the back.

        Though a few moments were spent in anticipation while Jungkook called fondly to the shop owner, Taehyung's worries were soon the last thing on his mind when he was faced with the assortment of breads and pastries that lined the display shelves of the bakery, each item looking more mouthwatering than the previous. His gaze lingered on them as he mentally calculated how much spare change he had left in his uniform pocket and how many of the treats he could buy with them. For a moment, he had altogether forgotten what they had come there for.

        That quickly changed when the lady to who Jungkook was calling out emerged from the back.

        "Ahjumma! Hi!" Jungkook greeted her brightly before exchanging pleasantries about how they were doing, he paused to introduce Taehyung, not really noticing as she looked over at Taehyung almost critically.

        Abundantly clear to Taehyung and utterly lost on Jungkook was the fact that Mrs. Park was very clearly trying to determine if Taehyung was okay or not, but Jungkook was too distracted to notice as he started into the request he had of borrowing the outfit. Taehyung fell silent as Jungkook explained what they needed and fought the rising color to his cheeks, thankful that the other didn't divulge exactly who was to wear the dress.

        After a moment of hesitation, she agreed but on the condition that Jungkook would help her move a few items in the kitchen, the fridge, and the pantry. Once she had explained the moves she wanted made, she informed him that she would entertain Taehyung while he was busy.

        When Jungkook had stepped to the back with such familiarity as it were his own place, Taehyung faced the elderly lady behind the counter, and she finally spoke to the remaining student, "So... you're Jungkook's friend?"

        He answered the question with a warm smile and nod, "I'd like to think so. We share a couple of classes and work on a lot of projects together and all." He paused, the next words coming out a little softer, sincere. "He's told me that you've inspired him a lot. It's nice to actually meet you other than as the owner of the bakery my family and I frequent."

        With the explanation given and the mannerisms displayed, Mrs. Park seemed to relax a bit. But the knowledge that his family frequented her shop caught her attention. "Your family frequents my bakery? Do you know what your usual order is?"

        Under normal circumstances, there wouldn't have been a reason for Taehyung to hesitate in answering that question. But this time was different. He easily listed off the items that Jin-sang often bought from the bakery, even pointing some of them out in the shelves with a fond smile.

        "Jin-sang is my dad's name, I don't know if you've ever really talked to him." With his dad’s personality, it was unlikely she hadn’t. Taehyung wasn't entirely sure if Kan had come to the bakery much at all. But if he had and the fact that they were married was clear, then he couldn't be sure how a lady possibly old enough to be his grandmother would react to it. It wouldn't have mattered of course, if it weren't for the person whose shuffling could be heard from the back faintly.

        The concern was quickly brushed off. Hope for the best, Taehyung thought to himself, if she did cringe at it then he would brush it off as the view of an older generation that was too late to be changed. Other than a slight awkwardness, nothing was at stake.

        But after a second of thought, the woman’s expression seemed to lighten up. "I know your father. He's a wonderful man." She allowed, slowly nodding and apparently having come to the conclusion that no son of Jin-sang’s could ever be a terrible influence to anyone.

        There was a clatter from the back where Jungkook had clearly let the fridge door close on its own and both pairs of eyes shot to in the direction.

         "Well, Taehyung, was it? Feel free to take a seat, Jungkook will be out in just a moment, I'm going to make sure he's okay still." The ahjumma offered a warm smile before slowly going into the back, and with a nod of his head in gratitude, he reverted his attention to the display. "Thank you, I'll wait." When she had disappeared to the back, he let out a sigh of relief.

        Jungkook soon emerged from the back, and Taehyung glanced up to flash a bright smile at the other.

        "Did you talk with Ahjumma Park, Taehyung?" Jungkook asked lightly as he moved to place a container on the checkout counter.

        "Yep," the boy chirped enthusiastically and hopped up from this place to approach the counter. "She's really nice. And everything she has here smells really nice too so you think you can play cashier for a bit? I'd like to make a few purchases." And possibly engage in (not so) casual flirting with said cashier. That bit, Taehyung kept to himself.

        “I thought you might say that,” Jungkook spoke before he looked over at the sweets Taehyung’s eyes seemed fixed on and headed over. “Sure, what did you want to get, okyaku-san?” he responded playfully, motioning for Taehyung to join him to the display.

        Lips splitting into a grin at the new address, Taehyung followed Jungkook to the display. "Well, to start with," he responded with a tone equally playful (after being assured that he could hear no sound of the ajhumma). Placing a cheek on his palm and elbow on the display shelf as he leaned against it lightly, Taehyung flashed a cheeky grin, "I'll have two of the danpatbbang if you can assure me they're half as sweet as you."

        Jungkook blinked rapidly, then subconsciously lowered his head bit in an attempt to hide the color in his cheeks, "I... uh... I mean... th-they're sweet but not overly sweet."

        If Jungkook was trying to make himself seem professional (he seemed to be trying), he was failing miserably. Taehyung bit the inside of his cheek and lowered his eyes momentarily to the desse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter