Chapter 5

Dare to Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

       The walk back home seemed like a good way to cool off from the practice, and it was well needed enough that Taehyung didn't bother changing back into his uniform when they called it a day.

       They had hung out in the change room for a while after, and he'd washed up minimally so that he didn't smell like death, sprayed on a bit of polo sport cologne and decided a proper shower could wait for home. There weren't many things that he was obsessive about, but cleanliness and clothing definitely made in the top ten list.

       A half of the team was also with him, some of the others also sharing the opinion that a sleeveless jersey and shorts sounded a world more comfortable than a layered uniform. Dribbling his basketball, he was chuckling distractedly to some joke that one of the guys had made to impress one of the their female classmates from the track and field who'd joined them when Jungkook caught his eyes from the other side of the road, changed out of his uniform and without his bag.

       He wasn't sure what had possessed him to completely ignore the fact that Jungkook was walking the opposite direction that he needed to go as he said a quick goodbye- but it was probably the awkwardness between him and Krystal that was still very apparent though a month passed since the breakup, even if the mutual resentment had started to fade.

       "Hey, Jungkook!" Now that he thought about it, this was probably fairly creepy. "Where are you headed?"

       Jungkook had been in a fairly spectacular mood since the trip to the library with Taehyung; it seemed like the dreary ending to their dream had taken a backseat to Seung-yoon's words, and Jungkook's outlook had taken a step up from a simple word of praise from the older male.

       But now he had been notified by Jimin that there had been some complaints recently about his spotty appearances to practices and even Namjoon was beginning to get upset (albeit, mostly worried) with his lack of practices. So after dropping by the bakery and bringing the owner up to date on how his schooling was going, he was headed to meet the rest of BTS.

       Checking the group texts that were being shared as he walked, he froze when he suddenly heard his name. Perking up slightly, he turned to face the owner of the voice- noticing, but ignoring- the backs of some of the other's team members across the street.

       "Hey Taehyung..." He nodded his head in the direction he had been walking, "This way." Jungkook jokingly replied with a slight smile before shaking his head and adding, "I guess you could call it practice though, in all honesty.” There was a pause as Jungkook questioned whether he should ask the question on his mind or not before he decided there was no harm in asking, “Are you not even a bit... chilly or something?"

       "No way, really?" Taehyung played along easily, with a playful grin plastered across his expression. Once he'd caught up to the other, Taehyung slowed his pace and a curious look replaced his previous expression as he waved off the question. "Nah, few hours of practice so I need to cool down a bit anyway. Practice?"

       He couldn't keep the curiosity out of his voice, Jungkook had quickly become an object of curiosity for Taehyung. He'd mentioned before that he couldn't wait to get out of school usually, but beyond that there was so little that he knew about Jungkook- other than the bit about the bakery. And it had always made him wonder. But Jungkook had never offered much on his life outside school and sweet Jesus, it was hard not to pry but he'd managed it till now. "Mind if I walk with for a bit?"

       "Ah, okay, that makes sense. I was afraid you were going to join the ranks of guys who feel they're too cool to wear a hoodie until it's almost December." Jungkook continued to joke, smiling lightly at the other as he nodded- despite knowing it was probably more than a little evident that he was enjoying the playful conversation.

       Letting out a light laugh, Taehyung shook his head. "No way, I like my hoodies and sweaters too much to miss an opportunity to wear them," he assured with a nod, "warm is good."

       "Oh thank God, Kim Taehyung is among the sane!" Jungkook brightly tossed back, unconsciously smiling at the other's words. "You can walk with me, it might be nice to have some company for a change." He really didn't mind if it was evident that he was more comfortable with Taehyung than anyone else from their school- but in all honesty, how could he not enjoy Taehyung's company? (Possible crush aside.) He quickly agreed, ignoring the thought that had this been a month ago he would have hesitated before more than likely rejecting the other's request. Starting to walk again, Jungkook hesitated to answer the question of practice.

       "Yeah, practice... despite popular belief, I can participate in group activities like a normal human being," he playfully lilted, deciding not to give a specific answer just yet. After all, he had kind of been purposely keeping this part of his life a secret.

       Though instinctively Taehyung wanted to say something to assure the other that he had never made any such assumptions, the first words to come out of his mouth were something else entirely. He chuckled, words and tone teasing- "And yet, ' it might be nice to have some company for a change'? It's a good thing your good looks more than make up for your people skills." Though that was outright flirting, the devilish little quirk of his lips arguing for that, something told Taehyung that that particular detail might fly right over his classmate’s head.

       The complimenting words that came from Taehyung's mouth had Jungkook's eyes widening and his cheeks warming as he quickly shook his head, "I just... I mean, the others don't live my way, and... I-I'm really not..." The younger of the two gave up trying to formulate a rebuttal as he ruffled his hair, his gaze turning the other direction instinctively as he tried to focus on the new words that Taehyung had thrown his way.

       “I figured as much, and yes, you are. You really are,” Taehyung replied in a tone that was somewhere between teasing, mocking, and patronizing but with genuine tone to the words. Dribbling the basketball he still held as they walked, and in a very little while his cheeks were almost hurting with how hard he was trying to not chuckle or smile too much at Jungkook’s reaction- the slightly pink cheeks and the stuttering.

       Cheeks flushing a bit more at Taehyung’s words, Jungkook evades stumbling over his words by nudging Taehyung's arm with his shoulder and whining a quiet, "Stoooop!"

       The effort of aching cheeks wasn't enough this time, hearing the quiet whine Taehyung bit his lip in vain to try and stop a small laugh that regardless, bubbled up from his chest. He couldn't deny it was cute, however, and it sort of made him want to put the other in a playful headlock to knuckle his head or squeeze him in a hug, but that he decided wouldn't have been appropriate. With that in mind, Taehyung found himself giving way to the curiosity he hadn’t been able to completely suppress earlier.

       As Taehyung voiced his curiosities regarding the practice Jungkook was heading to, it was becoming evident that Jungkook’s subtly evasive responses were making him even more curious, so it wasn’t long before the younger found himself beginning to fold completely to the little idea that had been slowly building up a presence in the back of his mind. Gently chewing on his bottom lip, Jungkook looked over at Taehyung, "Well.... Are you free for a bit? I can introduce you to the rest of the 'team'." He offered after a bit of thought, not entirely certain if Namjoon- or more importantly, Yoongi- would allow Taehyung to stay once the music started up.

       At the offer, Taehyung was perking up with a hopeful smile and he quickly nodded- thrilled by the thought that the seemingly very secretive boy was starting to let him in a bit. "Yeah, I don't particularly have anything to do, thinking of going to my parents’ office after anyway so I can hitch a ride. It's closer. But that sounds like fun."

       Giving a quick nod, Jungkook attempted to get over his own sudden stuttering, "R-really? Great! I'm sure the others will like you..." He blinked in surprise at his own words before quickly adding, "L-like to meet you!"

       “I hope so, and I’m sure I will like them,” Taehyung replied with a smile that might have had something to do with the slip-up he’d caught. “Can’t really say the same for the people I hang out with.” It was a subtle way of explaining the reason that he had never tried to mix him in with the rest of the people he hung out with in school. Something gave him the impression that Jungkook might not get along with some of them.

       Jungkook didn't respond verbally to the laugh and smile, but despite his teeth holding his bottom lip hostage, he smiled back. Seeing that they were getting close to the practice space, Jungkook reached up and started ping his light hoodie, revealing the slightly baggy shirt underneath.

       "I don't think there will be much of a worry there then..." He paused, unconsciously glancing over his shoulder in the direction the group Taehyung had left had disappeared before adding, "No offense, but if you mean the guys from the team, most of them already annoy me." He scoffed as he grumbled under his breath about having some of them hate him without knowing him. Flashing a bit of a helpless apologetic smile, Taehyung nodded without trying to defend them.

       "Not only them," there were plenty he knew in the school and was sure that some of those people who were acquaintances more than friends were a world more decent, but the group around him never seemed to be the most sincere with very few exceptions. The fact that most of them had something of a star quality to them because of the sports didn't help one bit with the ego some sported. "But yeah, them too." Taehyung shook his head, brushing the matter off. “So what is this ‘team’ about?”

       "That stuff may work for the popular crowd... but I like my little bubble. I only have to truly face the people I absolutely trust that way." Jungkook excused with a light shrug. Hearing the question, Jungkook smiled as he continued to act vague and mysterious with the team since he saw no point in ruining the fun just yet, "In a word? Performing. I've missed a few practices recently though, so... if the first thing you hear is one of them scolding me, don't be surprised." He warned, choosing to be straightforward about that minor detail.

       Raising a brow, Taehyung stopped the dribbling, humming in question, both to the potential scolding and the vague description. "Curiouser and curiouser..."

       Jungkook only grinned, suddenly grabbing the other's arm lightly, "Come on, curious, this way." They hadn't walked much longer as he added, stepping into a building, "We're almost-"

       "Jungkook! You're alive!" Jungkook released his hold on Taehyung as Namjoon pulled him into a hug and ruffled his hair, "You're lucky Yoongi isn't here yet, he got held up." RM continued before noticing Taehyung, his hand stilling. He smiled pleasantly the boy who had stopped dead in his tracks at the sight of him. "Hello there, who could you be...?"

       Taehyung tried not to gape at the familiar face. Quite honestly, it took a moment to take in. The fact that he was now standing face to face with a name that was well known among any hip hop enthusiast in the city that paid any attention to the underground artists. That and said artist was currently trying to suffocate—was hugging Jungkook.

       Namjoon had never really let go, so Jungkook was pinned into place until he whined 'hyung' and wiggled free, nearly stumbling back into Taehyung before he caught himself (barely). And it was then he noticed the look on Taehyung’s face.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter