Don't Speak

Just Us

As the day wears on, the students are assigned specific chores to do to keep the school clean. Julie is assigned to wash the sinks and mirrors I am assigned to mop the girl's bathroom floors on this wing. 5 bathroom floors. Simple enough, and it keeps my mind off of the previous incident. Julie and I rarely have times like this other than lunch time to relax and talk, while doing something other than school work.

As I fill a bucket up with water from the water hose in the back of the building, Julie comes up and leans against the wall, messing with her tie and watching me closely.

I don't look at her directly but I still question her, "What are you staring at?"

"You. What happened during Teacher Clark's class?"

"I said I had to pee?"

"For 45 minutes?"

I don't say anything, keeping my head down as I turn the water hose off, life the bucket and bring it inside.

In the first bathroom, I put soap in the water, get a mop from the utility closet in the teacher's lounge, and then go back and start mopping the floor.

"Sunni..."

Julie is washing the mirrow with some spray and a blue cloth, staring at my reflection as she cleans.

I stop and look up at her reflection.

"Tell me what happened. I know it was something because there's an even colder vibe around you."

I sigh and speak quietly, "I had an episode of painful memories triggered by the physical attributes associated with the new kid."

She gives me a blank stare,"Mwo?"

I sigh, "I pretty much said Nam Joon...reminds me of somebody and it hurts to remember."

"Oh..." she replies and gives a respectful moment of silence.

"It's nothing, now. It's just something I hadn't prepared for. A psychological trigger. No one to blame, really."

"Neh."

Sighing, she falls silent. Julie knows what I've been through and her resiliance is staggering, compared my rigidity when it comes to "getting over it". We keep the past where it is, but Julie never forgot how to smile. I almost could say I envy her for it.

I mop the floors in all the bathrooms in silence as she cleans the mirrors and sinks meticulously.

On our way to the last bathroom, the one in the gym, Julie opens a door just as Nam Joon walks out of the gym with a trashbag loaded with trash. He pauses for a second, but doesn't say anything. Instead, he nods and moves between us and walks down the hall.

"He's pretty up close. Like a movie star-or an idol," Julie says, watching him go, no doubt watching his .

"Jinjja?" I say sarcasticly. I shake my head and carry my bucket and mop through the door and into the bathroom.

~

In this bathroom, I mop the floor and prop the door open to help with ventilation and get he floor to dry better while Julie cleans the four mirrors and sinks.

"What is it about him that triggers you, Sunni?" she asks in a soft voice.

I exhale slowly and just look at her.

"I don't want to think about it, alhaseyo? It's something that should remain hidden. Please respect my privacy."

Julie stares at me, trying trying to see if my eyes will give away anything. My eyes are coffee-black so it's harder to read me, but she takes my words as they are and drops the subject.

Don't speak about it, Julie. I don't want to go back, so don't make me. I'll be okay.

But Nam Joon's face flashes through my mind as I had watched him come through the gym door earlier.

..But how do you avoid somebody who is always next to you?