Next To Me

Just Us

I was walking to my locker when I heard loud voices from behind me. I opened my locker first before turning around to look down the hall and saw a group of five or six students walking and talking, circling somebody in the center of their ring.

It dawned on me that Anyeong High School was supposed to get a new student this week and I assumed that this was the day from the reaction of the students though I still couldn't see who it was.

I figured it must be a really pretty girl until I heard a girl say sweetly, "Oppa, you're so tall..." and that made my stomach turn considering the voice who said that belonged to Ah Na Soong. She is a real sometimes.

I'm back in my seat in the row at the back of  Classroom 2 now, waiting on that crowd to get their stuff and come to class so Seungsangnim can take roll. She won't take it until more of us are in here.

I'm tired of waiting so I put my notebook and text book in my desk and pull out a manhwa to read.

The group arrives and I stiffen my spine but I don't look up from the book until Seungsangnim whacks her discipline stick on the board.

"Classroom 2. As you probably could hear coming down the hall, we have a new student. Please come to the from and introduce yourself."

I look up and see a tall boy with a nice face and broad shoulders. He's built well, a bit heavier than usual, but he's not chubby. I assume he plays basketball. He has a nice smile and a strong aura about him.

Some of the idiots- I mean, "star students" make noises and say things like "Kyeopta" and "Dabaek".

I refrain from making a comment and go back to reading, listening to this new guy.

"Anneyonghaseyo. Cheonun Kim Nam Joon ibnida. Please take care of me."

The teacher smiles and thanks him.

"You can take the seat in the back, Classmate Kim Nam Joon."

I tense up ridiculously and hope he doesn't sit next to me as there are two other seats on the other side of this particular section.

Nope. Don't sit beside me. Go away. If you sit beside me, you'll attempt to engage in conversation and I'm already picked on bad enough.

He sits next to me and I can hear the other students whispering.

"Hyung, you can come sit with us. Ghost doesn't talk much."

"Ghost?" Nam Joon looks at the one who spoke, Joo Gyun from the sound of his voice, and then his eyes land on me.

I look up and glare at him.

"My real name is Sunni. Gyung Soo Ni. Sunni. Not "Ghost"," I say pointing to my name tag on my blazer.

I don't like being cold to him but I think the sooner he establishes his inclusion into the "popular crowd", the sooner I can go back to being invisible.

"Why do they call you Ghost?", Nam Joon's incredulous stare makes me almost smile.

I should go easy on him, I suppose.

I shrug instead and Ah Na Soong answers in my place.

"She's called Ghost because, well, she's quiet," Ah Na comes up to my desk and grabs my tie, sliding it through her fingers and she continues to speak in a fake sweet voice,"Almost like she's Not. Even. Here."

Ah Na flicks my tie away and shuffles back over to sit on her desk and I look down.

"Ah. I like this seat though. But thank you for inviting me to sit with you guys. Maybe at lunch...?"

Nam Joon's politeness is suffocating me but I just sigh and put my book away as the teacher starts speaking again, signaling the end of our "greeting period".

We follow the lesson with a wall of silence between his shoulder and mine but I catch him glance over at me at least once. I put up with the staring and sneering that Ah Na and her group is doing toward me from across the classroom.

Like it's my fault this kid chose to sit next to the black sheep in the class room.

As soon as the bell rings and we have a five minute break period, Joo Gyun and Seuk Li come back to us and start talking to Nam Joon, asking questions like where he's from and what his scores were before transferring here.

I put my arms on my desk and use the back of my hands as a pillow, slumping over onto my desk facing away from them.

I know this will die down in a couple days, but honestly... they can wait until he's away from me.

I question my hostility towards this new kid and chalk it up to a personality clash. Some people just don't get along.