Establishing Territory

Just Us

Nam Joon is generally a nice person. Which annoys me a bit. He answers all the questions with a sweet smile and manners. He doesn't seem to mind the girls openly flirting with him, like cats in heat, but then again- he doesn't flirt back.

As his seating partner, it has become my responsibility to show him around and Nam Joon just happily absorbs all the information I send out. I show him where the cafeteria is, the library, the science lab, the restrooms, the gym, where he can find the nurse's lounge and so on. He compliments the school's color theme and the structure of the walls and the walkway that is a lot like an enclosed bridge between the fifth floors of the North and South wings of this school.

Climbing up the stairs for the buh-jillionth time on the South Wing, Nam Joon pauses, breathing lightly and looks over the railing to the floor. It's not very far, but I still refuse to look when he asks me to because I don't do heights.

"Ghost! Yah! Ghost!" Joo Gyun comes running up the stairs after us and grabs onto my shoulder, clearly out of breath.

"Ah. I can't breathe!"

I shrug his hand off, "I see that. I'm in the middle of showing Nam Joon-ah around. Why are you running after us screaming like an idiot?" I ask coldly.

"I...I just wanted an excuse....to ditch. So I'm here. I want to make sure your "ghostly presence" doesn't rub off on the new student."

Nam Joon stares at the back of this fool's head just as shocked as could be expected.

"You came all the way across campus to "protect" a student who is a good six inches taller than you, from an outcast girl. Suggesting that I'm a threat. How does that even make sense?"

Joo Gyun shrugs and steps back to stand with Nam Joon, who looks completely confused.

I roll my eyes, starting to wish this day will end quickly, and start back up the stairs to point out the art room, the theater, the computer and graphics lab and the music room.

Joo Gyun fills in on the projects we do in the rooms, I verbalize the names of the rooms. That's how this tour concludes and by the time we get back to our Homeroom, it's almost time for lunch.

They invite him for lunch. He accepts with that polite smile and I stay in my seat.

When the bell rings and they get up to go, Nam Joon turns to look at me when I don't get up with them.

'You're not coming to at, Sunni?"

I shake my head, offer a half-hearted smile and get my book to read.

Ah Na pipes up like she can't keep shut, "Ghost doesn't eat in the lunch room. It's okay. Let's go."

I don't eat in the lunch room because students regularly "bumped" into me and I got tired of wearing my meal rather than eating it. So I don't eat at school. No matter how many hours we have to be here. It is hard on my body, but I'm thinner than some girls here, so that's a plus....or so I've convinced myself.

As the classroom empties out, save for the kids who still have classwork to do, or the ones who brought food from home, Julie comes back to my seat from near the front and sits in the chair in front of me backwards, putting her lunch box on the desk and opening it.

"So... He's cute, right?"

I don't look up from my book, "Who? Nam Joon?"

"No. Teacher Clark, the English Teacher. Yes, Nam Joon-ah. Haven't you been looking up when you speak to him? That boy is gorgeous!"

"Did you notice his class insignia, Julie? He's in the grade above us," I say, turning the page.

She starts to eat her food with chop sticks, "Ask me if I care! He's perfect! I wonder who his parents are... He looks like an AB Blood. Passive and sweet."

Julie is a lot like me; quiet, studies hard, and doesn't care for the "star students" either. Her hair is more brown than my black and her eyes are lighter then mine too, but we're the same height and age so we are compatible. She's different, however, by sporting the traditionally long straight hair and school issued female uniform while I prefer short hair and my mother paid for my boy's uniform. The school hated it for a long time, almost expelling me until it was known that my father who is an honored board member, preferred his daughter's legs to be hidden under boy's pants rather than showing with a girl's skirt. I get a lot of grief for wearing a boy's uniform still... just not as bad and not from the school's faculty members anymore.

I'm waiting until Nam Joon mentions that...

 

"...ask him for me?" is the only part I come back on and so I look up

I look up and Julie stares at me.

"I missed everything you just said," I tell her.

"I said you need to ask Mr. Cutie what his blood type is. Will you do it for me?"

"Is this for medical purposes or..."

Julie snorts, "I'll be alone forever if you don't help me get a boyfriend, Sunni," she mutters, shoveling food in her face again.

I smile despite myself and shake my head, "I have no intention of learning any more than I need to about him."