Chapter Eight

Two Drink Minimum

 

 

“How much longer, till we land?” Yunho questioned as he glanced at his watch. The nearly six-hour plane ride, from Seoul to Bangkok, seemed to be running longer than usual.

 

“About an hour,” replied Changmin, not bothering to look up from the tablet in his hand. The latest update from his assistant, on their current predicament, was monopolizing his full attention. Rather than the concern and impatience of his friend and boss.

 

“Has there been any news, from the ground?” countered Yunho.

 

“According to CMO Moon,” Changmin relayed. “Mr. Kiriti was... combative when the initial team arrived.”

 

“At first, his staff refuted the team’s legality of purpose and refused entry to the building. Claiming that, because they had no knowledge of the reassignment to the Thailand office, they could not authorize unverifiable personnel any access.”

 

“According to the report, Woobin practically had to strong-arm his way into the building.”

 

“Were there any injuries?”

 

“No,” answered Changmin, finally looking up from the report. “The staff eventually had the sense to not disobey the CMO. But only after Woobin had to pull rank and threaten termination to anyone who would dare deter them any further.”

 

“And what was Kiriti’s reaction?”

 

“Furious that his staff disobeyed him and allowed the team in the building. But, oddly, cordial... if not disdainfully so, when coming face-to-face with Woobin,” explained Changmin. “He backed down, pretty quick, when he realized that the Chief Marketing Officer’s appearance was a precursor to our arrival. But, he’s still fuming.”

 

“Any suspicious activity since?” countered Yunho.

 

“Not as of yet. At least, not out in the open. Woobin made his moves quickly, as we planned. All the managerial staff was immediately assigned a shadow. They can't move an inch inside the building without someone looking over their shoulder and all their communications are being monitored.”

 

“Our security team took over rather smoothly, removing the original team as soon as order was restored. A preliminary audit of the branch’s computer system, and servers, is already in pre-launch mode. Should be ready to engage in a full sweep within the hour.”

 

“Human Resources is currently accumulating a full list of employees, readying to do the evaluations and interviews we require, and our PR team has already started laying the groundwork for any complications that may come up from our surprise appearance in Bangkok.”

 

“Has the local press become aware of the team’s arrival?”

 

“Not yet,” replied Changmin. “It seems that sending partial teams on several different flights, rather than all together, was a better strategy than I thought. We managed not to draw attention to our activities.”

 

“However,” he added in an addendum. “The same can not be said about our pending arrival.”

 

“Already?” Yunho scoffed in irritation.

 

“I’m afraid so,” Changmin nodded as he tapped on the screen of his tablet a couple of times and then offered it to Yunho. “It looks like someone managed to get a hold of our passenger manifest.”

 

“They know we’re coming.” he sighed.

 

“Has the security team been notified?” Yunho questioned as he scanned the flash article titled: JK Holdings CEO, Jung Yunho, headed to Bangkok after 10 years abroad.

 

“They’ll be waiting for us when we land.” Changmin nodded again.

 

“Good.” he sighed, handing back the tablet. “I’d rather not deal with any reporters unless absolutely necessary.”

 

“I do not doubt that... considering what happened the last time we came to Thailand.” teased Changmin, deliberately prodding his friend.

 

“Hey! That wasn’t my fault. You know I don’t follow the entertainment industry, even at home.” Yunho countered defensively. “Let, alone, in Thailand. How was I supposed to know he was the son of some well-known starlet?”

 

“Well, you did manage to charm him all on your own?” provoked Changmin. “Didn’t you?”

 

“Not deliberately!” Yunho argued sarcastically. “I was only trying to be polite. How was I supposed to know that he would become so obsessive so fast?”

 

“Not to mention his sister...” he scoffed derisively. “She was just as aggressive.”

 

“Can’t say I blame them, though,” countered Changmin. “Giving their upbringing, how sheltered they were, it makes sense why they would react the way they did. People like that tend to latch onto anyone who seems to have the capability of rescuing them from their life. No matter if that assumption is even true or not.”

 

“I’m not interested in being anyone’s hero, Min.” sighed Yunho. “I never have been. And I, definitely, didn’t want to be involved with that family .”

 

“I know.” he nodded. “But, you are aware that... now that the press has caught wind of our visit... There is a likelihood that they will come sniffing around again.”

 

“I hope not,” Yunho huffed in irritation. “But, to be safe, be prepared to deal with that possible eventuality. Restructuring the Thailand office and rooting out the corruption is going to be enough of a headache, I don’t need another frivolous scandal. Based on absolutely nothing, but the whims of two immature socialites too far removed from reality to realize that they mean nothing to me. That they will gain nothing from me.”

 

“If they become a problem, I’ll deal with it.”

 

“Good.” sighed Yunho.

 

The stress of that particular time in his life had been enormous. Dealing with it had taken its toll and he didn’t want history to repeat itself once more. There was too much riding on everything going to plan, for it to fall apart because of a past indiscretion he thoroughly regretted.

 

The plane landed half an hour later than it should have, putting Yunho’s scheduled itinerary in jeopardy. The plan was to go directly to the hotel, freshen up, and then meet with the surveillance team assigned to investigate Mr. Kiriti. All before heading to the company itself. Unable to now make that appointment, Changmin made the call and relayed Yunho’s orders to continue monitoring the situation until they could reschedule.

 

Playing the part of Yunho’s assistant was never in Changmin’s job description, but given the situation, he seem to have no objections to playing the part. Though, it was certain, that before this was all said and done he would see to it that Yunho would pay for his time. In more ways than one. Yunho was no fool, in that regard. Though he was his dearest friend in many ways, Changmin was not above being petty –simply for petty’s sake.

 

The mood when they arrived at the office was both tense and uneasy. The local staff was already lined up outside the main doors in anticipation of his arrival. Led by both the CMO and the CFO, alongside several department heads from the branch itself. The greetings shared between them were brief before Woobin motioned for them to go inside.

 

“Mr. Kiriti is waiting for you in his office,” Woobin informed politely, as they crossed the main lobby.

 

“And?” countered Yunho, his voice sounding far more stern than usual.

 

“He’s not happy,”

 

“No,” chuckled Changmin. “I would think not.”

 

“Well, yes. It’s to be expected,” nodded Woobin. “Surprise inspections from the CEO, and four executive department heads, would make anyone a little nervous. But, this... this is something else.”

 

“We’re in agreement,” noted the Chief Financial Officer as the elevator doors opened before them. “There is something fishy going on here.”

 

“Have you found anything yet, Donghae?” Changmin countered.

 

“Not yet, but my team is already suspicious as hell,” he answered just as the last of their security stepped inside and the doors closed behind them. “The finance team tried to physically stop us from getting into the file room.”

 

“We had to assign extra security to the finance department,” noted Woobin.

 

“Make it mandatory for every team, as of now,” Yunho ordered as he turned and looked at Changmin. “We don’t need anyone getting hurt needlessly. Nor should we allow anyone to interfere with our audits. Anyone caught doing so, have them detained.”

 

“Of course,” nodded Changmin.

 

When the doors finally opened onto the fifth floor, Yunho’s eyes were greeted by an empty entryway. The secretary that would typically welcome him was nowhere to be found.

 

“This way, Mr. Jung,” motioned Woobin.

 

Following the CMO, the group traversed the large lobby and entered Mr. Kiriti’s office unannounced. The older man in question was sitting at his desk, seemingly studying some file before him. Beside him stood the head of Yunho’s security team, Mr. Matsuda.

 

“Mr. Jung,” greeted the man. “It's good to see that you’ve arrived safely. I hope there were no complications.”

 

“None that you weren’t already aware of, Jin,” Yunho replied. “But, thank you for your concern.”

 

“Of course,” the man nodded.

 

“What’s the meaning of all this!” Mr. Kiriti suddenly cut in, his voice full of frustration.

 

“What indeed, Mr. Kiriti, what indeed,” Changmin answered in a patronizing tone. Not even caring, if he was being offensive. He’d never liked the man since the very beginning.

 

“How dare you!” Mr. Kiriti immediately countered, slamming his hand on the desk and standing up aggressively. “Who do you think you are?”

 

“Your...better,” Yunho replied coldly. “So know your place and sit down!”

 

Defiantly, the man just stood there in pure contempt of the order. His pride was far-reaching and ever-present in his stance and the way he carried himself. Yunho had once praised the man for his dignity and self-confidence. Yet now found it a disgusting display of undeserved arrogance.

 

“Jin,” sighed Yunho softly.

 

Understanding the gently given order, Mr. Matsuda instantly reached out, grabbed Mr. Kiriti by the shoulder, and physically forced him back down in his seat before he could protest further. His eyes immediately shot to the man beside him and he growled.

 

“Let go!”

 

Jin didn’t even bother replying. He simply tightened his grip on the man’s shoulder and glared at him.

 

“I would advise you to calm down, Mr. Kiriti,” offered Changmin. “Otherwise, I’m sure Mr. Jung would have no qualms about allowing Jin to assert his authority a little more aggressively than what you’re willing to endure.”

 

“He quite likes it, you know, when he’s allowed to let loose,” Changmin added with a chuckle. “But things tend to get a little messy.”

 

“You have such a nice office.” he lamented sarcastically. “I’d hate to be worrying about how to get blood out of such a lovely carpet.”

 

“Fine.” The threat unmistakable, the man finally relented and let out a slow breath.

 

In that moment, Yunho wanted nothing more than to laugh out loud. Though Changmin meant every word, the vicious mockery in his voice was so apropos. He never spoke in such a tone, without reason, and those who became the target of such a determination rarely found peace. It was not an idle threat.

 

“Now,” Yunho questioned as he placed his hands on the man’s desk and leveled an intimidating look in his direction. “Shall we discuss what has brought me here? The accusations leveled against you are quite damning.”

 

“Embezzlement, bribery, extortion, corruption, money laundering,” Changmin chimed in, counting each accusation on his finger like he was doing simple addition like a child. Yet his tone hung in the air like murderous intent. “Market manipulation, reselling stolen goods on the black market, wire fraud, and... Oh, yes, and falsifying financial records.”

 

“Any number of which,” Changmin warned. “Can put you away for the rest of your miserable life. Given that you’re allowed to keep it, that is.”

 

“It’s not true. I have done nothing of the sort!” Mr. Kirit claimed defensively. “I have only done what was expected of me and nothing more!”

 

“But, of who’s expectations is the question.” countered Changmin.

 

“As far as I see it, you have been up to quite a bit these past few months. Running head-long into activities that would not only tarnish the reputation of yourself, and your people, but also the very definition of our mutual obligations. Our company, our very lives, is dedicated to the principles set forth at our founding. And your backroom dealings have put all of that in jeopardy.”

 

“Or, do you simply not care that by your actions the lives of thousands could be affected? That the legacy Elder Jung built decades ago may be destroyed, simply because of your arrogance and greed.”

 

“Greed?” scoffed Mr. Kiriti.

 

“Yes...greed.” nodded Changmin. “For what other purpose than personal greed would you betray the company that gave you the life you now live? Betray the trust we have afforded you?”

 

“I have done nothing!” spat Mr. Kiriti angrily. “For you to condemn me so. Your accusations are meritless, Mr. Shim. And I’ll be damned if I sit here another moment and listen to your outrageous and baseless claims against me.”

 

“Your arrogance condemns you,” replied Yunho coldly, finally speaking up as he straightened his form and looked down at Mr. Kiriti with nothing but disdain. “Did you honestly think we came here without proof? That we would travel all this way, simply out of some sweeping nostalgia for this city? This office? Don’t be ridiculous. You, Sir, have never been worth my time. And the proof of that rings loud and clear in this very moment.”

 

“Jin!” Yunho suddenly barked. The anger in his voice was eerily calm yet ever-present.

 

Understanding his master’s intention, Jin forcefully jerked Mr. Kiriti from his seat and began to drag him out of the office. The man fought back, twisting and turning, trying to get loose. All the while spitting insults and unhinged accusations and threats toward everyone. But no matter how much he fought back, he had no counter to the strength and expertise of Mr. Matsuda’s years of training. In a matter of minutes, the office finally fell into silence once more. Allowing Yunho to let out a cleansing breath.

 

The planned confrontation had gone off without a hitch.

 

“Well,” Woobin said mirthfully. “That went well.”

 

“Quite well,” chuckled Donghae as he reached up and patted Changmin on the shoulder. “Who knew our Min could be so scary?”

 

“You all did,” Changmin responded, his tone flat.

 

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” dismissed Donghae with a patronizing wave. “We know. It’s just a rare sight for Woobin and me.”

 

“Just be glad that it was all an act,” advised Yunho as he rounded the desk and sat down. “This go-around. Rather than a reality.”

 

“It was quite a show. I’ll give you that, Min,” praised Woobin. “But now the real work begins.”

 

“True enough,” agreed Yunho. “Now that Mr. Kiriti has been put into stasis, the hindrances to our work should be minimal.”

 

“The security team will keep him under lock and key until we can determine how deep the corruption goes; and what illegal affiliations he has been conspiring with as of late.”

 

“Any leads?” countered Donghae.

 

“Nothing very promising, at the moment,” answered Changmin. “However, the suspicion is high that the undue influence is coming from one of the major families in Thailand.”

 

“But which one, we have no proof.” he continued. “From what we know so far, any number of clans could be involved. Stereotypically, based on their own modus operandi, we should be looking at either the Saitong, Deng, or Wongchai families. But, it could be any of the major –or even minor– families at this point.”

 

“Who would stand to gain from undermining our operations here?” countered Woobin.

 

“All of them,” replied Yunho. “Considering our typical market share, and sphere of influence, we’ve become a prime target for manipulation. Getting their claws into our operations would benefit almost anyone, should they be able to mount a full takeover.”

 

“Then we’ll need to narrow down the list,” advised Donghae. “So we know who we are dealing with.”

 

“Agreed,” nodded Changmin. “I’ve already put my team on it. They are combing through the legal department’s records as we speak. Should have some information, or at least inclinations, in a few hours.”

 

“Good. Until then, let’s continue our operations as normal; under the guise of a full audit; while we see what we can find,” answered Yunho. “As for Mr. Kiriti, Jin and his team will take care of it. With their talents, I am sure he will be quite forthcoming rather soon.”

 

“We’ll want him alive, Yunho,” warned Changmin.

 

“Jin is aware.” he nodded. “And knows his limitations.”

 

“Very well,” accepted Changmin. “So long as we don’t have a repeat of Singapore, I won’t interfere.”

 

For the next six hours, a meeting of the minds occupied Mr. Kiriti’s former office. Steady reports came in from every department regularly. And the pieces to their unseen puzzle were making themselves known. The corruption ran deep.

 

Everything from simple office practices to major contractual obligations had been shifted, twisted, and altered.

 

Original staff, loyal to the head office, has been systematically and summarily dismissed without legitimate explanation. Replaced with personnel whose employment history and affiliations were just as suspicious.

 

Subcontractors employed by the company, for more than a decade, had their licenses revoked and their contracts terminated. Codified by obviously trumped-up charges. Their loyalty: repaid with bankruptcy and defamation.

 

Legal and Finance, however, bore the brunt of everything the most.

 

As Changmin has suspected, every contract that had been legitimized before Mr. Kiriti took over the Thailand branch had been rewritten and resubmitted with clauses that were borderline criminal. And all subsequent and newly acquired contracts suffered the same fate. Just barely staying over the threshold so as to not trigger any red flags with the government regulators or any authority. And so full of inconsistencies that they counteracted and contradicted their own terms. Creating massive loopholes, that could be exploited at any time.

 

And exploit them they did. Their financial records were a disaster. The more the audit team dug into the company's revenue streams the more they found exorbitant gaps in reported earnings versus actual net gains. Money that was earmarked for projects, such as improvements to manufacturing or research and development, had practically vanished without a trace. Transferred from account to account, dozens of times, until there was no telling where it eventually ended up.

 

“This would be ridiculous if it wasn’t so damning.” Changmin sighed as lowered the paperwork in his hand and slumped back in his chair. “How could we have not known about this?”

 

“Lack of oversight,” replied Yunho. His tone: both frustrated and irritated.

 

“Ultimately, the fault is mine,” he admitted. “With the recent acquisition of Caledonia Electronics and the new product launches, my attention has been split.”

 

“Not to mention your own personal little crisis...” added Changmin.

 

“That too,”

 

“But it's not a viable excuse,” Yunho argued against himself. “None of them are.”

 

“It’s my responsibility, the management of the company, and I dropped the ball on this one.”

 

“You did,” Changmin asserted, not bothering to sugarcoat the facts. “But that doesn’t mean that it can't be remedied.”

 

“Though how we are going to accomplish that, at the moment, is still in the air,” he added.

 

“Right now, the best thing we can do is get to bottom of all of this. Put the pieces together. Then try and come up with a solution that’s the best fit for the situation. If that means shutting down the whole operation, pulling the plug, then we do it. But if we can salvage it, I’d rather do that first.”

 

“I agree,” answered Woobin. “Thailand’s market is a place we need to be. Losing our foothold here would not be wise.”

 

“Agreed,” Donghae nodded. “We should do our best to salvage what we can, even if we have to downsize the majority of our operations here and go to a more light inclusion. It would be better than losing all we have built here.”

 

In the silence that followed their collective agreement, the sound of a familiar ringtone echoed from Yunho’s phone. Sighing heavily he picked it up from the desk before him and looked at the screen.

 

“It’s Jin,” he announced before answering the call.

 

“Mr. Jung, we have a name.” informed the man, his voice echoing on speaker phone for all to hear.

 

“Who is it, then?” countered Yunho.

 

The Coterie of Seven,”

 

“And Father Kim Jin Taek,” Changmin grumbled. “That bastard.”

 

“Yes, Mr. Shim,” replied Jin. “I’m afraid so.”

 

“Damn it.”