Chapter Ten

Two Drink Minimum

 

 

“I saw him with my own eyes, Sir,” an older voice answered. “He’s there...”

At that instant, a loud bang echoed. It was the sound of pure frustration and fury, given an outlet. The table before them: the most likely target.

“That son of a !” Mr. Kim shouted in anger.

“How did we miss this?” he demanded.

Curious, Yunho’s feet moved before he even realized they had. The conversation: drawing him towards the paper-veiled wood frame wall separating both rooms; in hopes of hearing more clearly.

“Sir, please.” the frighted man from before spoke again. “Try to stay calm.”

“Calm?” Mr. Kim countered. “How the hell do you expect me to be calm?”

“That bastard has...”

“Brother,” a deep voice interrupted, cutting off Mr. Kim. “Now is not the time to be emotional.”

“The issue at hand demands a methodical solution, not decisions made in the heat of the moment.”

“But, Junho,” Mr. Kim tried to argue.

“Please, brother,” he urged.

“Very well,” sighed Mr. Kim, seemingly pushing back his anger to concede to the other man’s level-headedness, after a tense silence.

“What do we know?”

“It is as you’d feared,” the second man began. “The timeline fits.”

“Though we are uncertain whether or not it was a direct action, that they were deliberately looking for the young master or if they just happened upon him.”

‘Young master?’ wondered Yunho.

“But, we’ve managed to confirm his transfer back to Bangkok.”

“Do we have eyes on him?” countered Mr. Kim.

“Yes, Sir,” the fearful man answered. “Our people at the main estate have already been instructed to gather as much information as possible.”

“Has there been any update?”

“Yes, Sir. I’m afraid there has been,” he answered. “And it's not good.”

“Their cruelty is even beyond comprehension...” added another man. His voice, younger, yet sounding strained as if to even speak of it caused great personal pain.

“They are keeping the young master on the lower level, chained and under heavy guard. His meals are being heavily regulated.” he continued almost robotically as if he was reading straight from a report. “All deliberately mediocre, unsustainable, and reduced to barely survivable amounts, simply to keep him docile and weak.”

“Is that all?” the man referred to as Junho asked.

“No, Sir,” the man sighed heavily before hesitating. “According to our people...”

“Spit it out, Kit!” Mr. Kim demanded.

“He...he is being beaten regularly,” Kit finally answered. “Nearly hourly, to force him into submission, from what I’m told.”

“How badly?” interrupted Junho.

“Blood on the sheets every day,” he answered. “The only visitor: a doctor on their payroll.”

“Dr. Mek?” countered Mr. Kim through clenched teeth.

“Yes, Sir.”

“Damn it!”

The room instantly fell silent, giving Yunho a second to process what he had been hearing. From the sound of it, it seemed that this young master they were referring to was important for some reason. As were his current circumstances. It all seemed rather grave, his situation, but what Yunho couldn’t understand was why they were so invested in the situation.

When he first registered the conversation in the next room, his first thought was that this Mr. Kim could be Jin Taek. There weren’t many in Bangkok carrying such a moniker, nor invoked the amount of respect the others in the room were giving him. So the assumption had been valid. However, as the conversation continued, Yunho began to feel a slight case of confusion as well as suspicion.

And not because of the terrible situation of this unknown young master, but because somehow Mr. Kim’s muffled voice seemed oddly familiar. Almost too familiar. Even when agitated or stern, it still had an undeniable hint of warmth within it. Offering a very subtle and unexpected kindness, like that of a reassuring hand placed gently on your shoulder. A comfort where none was expected, yet genuinely accepted without much protest... And nothing like Jin Taek.

‘Who are you?’ thought Yunho as he reached out and put his hand on one of the slats in the wood-framed wall before him.

“I fear,” the second man continued. “That the young master may have gone too far this time. What little civility he was offered previously, has been thoroughly rescinded. They mean business this time. No amount of apologia will undo what has been done or save him from their demand for retribution.”

“He’s screwed,” added the first man bluntly. “And unless we intervene, he will be forced to do as they demand... Everything they demand.”

“And we know what that would mean,” Junho seemed to agree. His voice: sounding a warning that was clear as crystal. “Don’t we, brother?”

Mr. Kim simply hummed in agreement at Junho’s assertion.

“What would you like us to do, Sir?” questioned the first man. “How should we proceed?”

“As much as I would like to say that we should take him out by force,” Mr. Kim eventually answered after a long pause. “Junho is right. We can not be impetuous in our actions. To react without proper consideration and planning would not only put the young master in danger but also our people as well.”

“Until we know the full scope of the situation, our best bet is to wait and plan accordingly.”

“You would just leave the young master to suffer?” the second man argued petulantly.

“Do not dare to assume you are the only one here who cares for him, Ken,” Junho interrupted, suddenly sounding unlike himself and quite irritated as he reprimanded the man. “We have never wanted this for him. We have spent the last ten years trying to protect him from that bastard's influence. So don’t you sit there and look at us like we are abandoning one of our own!”

“Junho,” Mr. Kim spoke up. This time taking the role of the more level-headed of the two. “That wasn’t what Ken was implying.”

“No one, not one of us, wants him to be in this situation. We never have, but now that we are forced to face it again we have to come together and put an end to this cycle once and for all. And we cannot do that if we are at each other throats.”

“We mustn’t argue among ourselves,” he concluded. “The young master’s safety should be our first priority. Until he is safe, everything else is secondary.”

“Fine,” Junho conceded, frustration lacing his tone. “Just as long as we’re clear, there is no one here who wants the young master to suffer any longer than he has to. Especially me. This pains me just as much as it does all of you.”

“No one is questioning that fact, Brother Junho,” Ken offered reassuringly. “I just...”

“You don’t need to explain,” Mr. Kim interrupted. “We all understand your concern and fear. We know it all too well.”

“This is not the first time we’ve had to intervene on his behalf.” declared Mr. Kim. “But, by God, this will be the last.”

“Come, one way or another, this will end.”

At Mr. Kim’s final declaration, Yunho found himself stepping back from the wall with a sense of foreboding blooming inside his chest. The tone in which the man spoke those last few words was so full of vengeful promise that the only thought that could cross Yunho’s mind was a bloody end.

In his mind, his curiosity thrummed with questions. Many of which quickly began to gnaw at him. The desperation, anger, and frustrations felt by all those involved seemed intrinsically raw and justified. They obviously cared a great deal about this young master and wanted nothing more than to help him. Yet, the unspoken details; known only to them; were forcing them to stay their hands unwillingly.

Yunho knew those feelings well; knew what it was like to be standing there knowing what you must do but being unable to act immediately; and understood the frustration that came with such a hindrance to action. Most times trying to be a hero is foolish, but that fact could never stop the desire to be one. Especially when the person in danger was someone you truly loved or admired. And they truly cared for this man, that was certain.

Knowing well that there was nothing he could, or should, do about their plight, Yunho shook away the thoughts around their situation and decided to return to his rooms. Brushing off the entire encounter as a misunderstanding on his part, as another justification to not get involved and leaving them to the fate they dare choose, he slipped on his coat and headed to the courtesy desk to settle his bill.

The young woman on duty, different from the one he and Changmin had met earlier, was in a cheerful and talkative mood and quite cordial and polite. She greeted Yunho with a bright smile and questioned him about his enjoyment of his meal. Going through the typical shpeal that was often used to increase customer satisfaction. But, Yunho didn’t mind. Her kindness was a welcomed distraction that managed to ease his mind a bit more.

Just as he was about to finish his transaction, and head up to his room for a night’s rest, the silence around them was interrupted by the sound of a number of footsteps heading down the hallway. Yunho did his best to ignore the sound. He’d had enough of indulging in other people’s business for one night. So, he didn’t even bother to look in the group's general direction when they finally stepped into the lobby.

“It’s none of my business,” he reminded himself.

“I’m sorry, Sir?” the young woman questioned, having heard his self-admonishment. “Is something wrong?”

“No...not at all,” Yunho reassured her.

“Very good, Sir.” she smiled, as she handed him back his card. “Then we thank you for your patronage and hope you have a wonderful night.”

“Thank you,” nodded Yunho taking it back.

As those words fell from his lips with politeness, Yunho suddenly felt someone walk up beside him and practically body-check him. Bumping into him hard enough that he had to compensate by stepping to the side. He immediately looked up to see a taller man, with dark hair, staring intently at the young woman behind the counter.

“Are we good here?” the man said harshly, in a menacing tone.

“Y-Yes, Sir,” the woman stammered, looking frightened. “All has been taken care of, per your Master’s orders. There won't be any problem.”

“There better not be. And I would advise you to be more prepared next time.” the man warned. “Otherwise, you will have to deal with Mr. Kim in person. Do I make myself clear?”

“Crystal clear, Sir,” the woman answered as she shrunk back away from the counter.

“Good,” he practically growled.

From the distance, a man’s voice suddenly called out.

“That’s enough, Ken,” the voice ordered.

Yunho’s heart immediately dropped, as recognition shot through him. He knew that voice; that warm and gilded caress of a kindness rarely known, that flowed within its tone; now unhindered by the divide. Just as clear and magnanimous as it once had been, and shared by only two people in all the world, as he knew it. And that fact was impossible. To his own surprise, he ignored the menacing man beside him and spun in the direction of the main doors. Only to find his sudden suspicion shockingly realized.

There; standing in matching dark gray suits, and surrounded by half a dozen men; was a pair of faces so familiar that Yunho felt the world come to a dead stop.

Confusion slammed into his chest as a reality unexpected was suddenly manifested before him, a reality that could not be possible. A face that once smiled at him from behind the bar lingering under starry skies, and surrounded by wolves on the hunt, stared back at him as if no recognition could be had. Cruelly mirrored, almost exactly and in nearly every detail, with the man standing next to him.

“Junsu,”

The name fell from Yunho’s lips unheaded and deliberately, as if in hope that the very voicing of the name would somehow manifest both an understanding of what he was seeing and banish the impossibility before him in equal measure. Before he even realized he had tried to move, he had, yet his intentions would not get him far, for a large hand suddenly grabbed him by the arm and practically manhandle him.

“Don’t even think about it,” warned Ken menacingly.

Yunho only spared the man a simple glance, not even a bit intimidated by his tone, and looked back toward the set of twins. Only to find that the pair and their entourage had already turned and left the building. Ken gave him a little shove of warning and walked away without another word. Leaving Yunho standing there completely stunned and trying to come to terms with everything that had just happened.

“There are two?”

“Twins?”

“Junsu is...”

“Mr. Kim?”

“Then their young master might be...”

The gasp that fell from his lips at that moment, could have stopped time.

It took him only seconds for him to process everything, shake away the surprise, and give in to the sudden desperation that overtook him. Without even thinking, he broke out into a sprint and hurried across the lobby in pursuit. He had been searching for both Jae and Junsu for months, and there was no way he was going to just let this opportunity just pass him by. There was no way he was just going to let Junsu disappear again. Not until he got his answers. Not until he was certain that the fearful thought that just flashed across his mind wasn’t possibly true. That the fate of their young master was not Jaejoong’s fate!

Breaching the front doors at a full sprint, Yunho stepped out onto the main steps of the building and frantically scanned the area for the group. A second later, he spotted them at street level, preparing to leave via a cavalcade of black SUVs waiting for them. Without any thought to the possible dangers his frantic behavior could invoke, or the consequences he could be forced to face, he pushed away every thought of safety and made a beeline for Junsu and his mirror.

To their credit, the men escorting the duo did not falter in their likeliest of duties: protection. For they were instantly aware of Yunho’s approach and acted in lockstep with one another. Intercepting him long before he could get too close. Ken, was the first to reach him. Having already suspected that Yunho would give them more trouble, he had seemingly been expecting it and was far swifter than his peers. Crossing the expanse in a flash, and grabbing Yunho by the arm, he wrenched it behind his back and held firm.

But Yunho would not be deterred.

“Junsu!”

“Do you have a death wish?” Ken growled, wrenching Yunho’s arm harder. “I’ve already warned you once, you bastard.”

“Not one more word...” he threatened.

“What’s the problem?” Junho finally spoke up.

At that moment, Yunho looked up to see that both Junsu and his mirror, Junho, were looking at him with disdain.

“Nothing, Sir,” Ken answered. “Just some drunk who doesn’t know his place!”

“I’m not drunk, you bastard!” instantly argued Yunho.

“Shut up!” Ken ordered, tightening his grip.

“I will not!” he argued back before focusing his attention on the man he’d been looking for. “Junsu! Wait, please! I’ve been looking everywhere for you! I just want to talk!”

“And, why would I want to talk to you?” Junsu finally answered, rebuking the interloper before him with a tone so detached and cold that it sent chills down Yunho’s spine. “I don’t know you!”

As if being drenched in a monsoon of ice-cold water, and drowning in the aftermath, the cruelty with which those words were given tore through Yunho’s heart like the sharpest of blades. Allowing fear, doubt, and despair to overwhelm him in an instant. Lost in the awe of the unexpected rejection, all he could do was stand there completely dumbstruck, unable to comprehend the very meaning of it all and unable to act.

Seemingly satisfied by his given answer, and the finality of it all, Junsu and his mirror simply turned and climbed into the waiting SUV, and left. Leaving behind their men to deal with the interruption as they saw fit. And their means of dealing with the irritation that was Yunho was swift. He never saw the punch coming, too far lost in his own disbelief to register the second man who had approached him. But the impact on his gut was felt, as was the loss of breath when it connected just below his diaphragm. Forcing every bit of breath from his lungs and leaving him gasping for air, mere seconds before Ken unceremoniously dropped him to the ground without even the slightest care and kicked him in the ribs.

“Don’t ever let me see your face again,” he threatened pointedly, after landing several more kicks to emphasize his warning fully. “Or, I will end you.”

As menacing as the man attempted to be, Ken’s threat didn’t even register with Yunho. He was far more concerned about catching his fleeting breath, enduring the pain inflicted upon him, and understanding the absurdity of it all, than the words lobbed in his direction. After months and months of searching, he had finally found something, only to watch all the possibilities slip between his fingers in a matter of puzzlingly and bewildering seconds.

It took him quite a while to recuperate from the assault and the implausibility of it all. But once he’d finally come to his senses, he found himself sprawled out on the ground and all alone. Pulling himself from the ground, he groaned at the pain in his ribs and looked around, only to see no sign of any of the men that had detained him. And no clue as to where they may have gone.

“Damn it,” he breathed out in frustration as he tried to reconcile everything that had happened in his mind.

Junsu was in Bangkok. Junsu was someone important. Junsu was respected. But he was also suspicious, secretive, and most likely involved in some sort of shady operations. The way his people guarded him so loyally, spoke highly of his rank and power. His respectability and control. And there were only a few people in this world that had such an influence on the others around him.

“People, like me,” he concluded with a disappointed sigh, as he turned back toward the hotel. His decision was made. “I need to talk to Min.”

Making his way up to their rooms on the top floor, Yunho knocked on Changmin’s door with a heavy fist. It took several minutes before the door finally opened, revealing his half-asleep and irritated friend.

“What the , Yunho?” Changmin demanded angrily. “It's three in the ing morning, for sake!”

When Yunho didn’t immediately answer, and just brushed past him, Min did his best to try and blink away his tiredness and look at his friend. When Yunho eventually turned around and looked at him again, he immediately noticed how disheveled he looked and was earnestly surprised.

“My God, what happened?” Changmin questioned as he shut the door.

“Junsu...” Yunho replied.

“Huh?”

“He’s here, Min. Junsu is in Bangkok!” clarified Yunho, his own disbelief still present in his voice.

“And you’re certain of this?” countered Changmin.

“Look at me and tell me if I am certain. His people did this to me!”

His people... No, that’s not possible,” he argued back. “Junsu...Junsu isn’t...”

“Isn’t what?” Yunho snapped as his irritation with Changmin’s sudden decision to defend Junsu’s actions filled his tone. “That type of person? Someone who would downright deny my existence, to my face, and sick his bodyguards on me for interrupting his night?”

“Because that is exactly what happened.”

“But, that doesn’t make any damn sense,” dismissed Changmin. “I mean, he’s a damn bartender. How in the hell could he have that much power?”

“I don’t know.”

“Well, ,” Changmin finally sighed, calming himself down after a few minutes of silence. “I think you better tell me everything that happened, from the very beginning. Then, maybe, we can figure out what the hell is really going on.”

“Fine,” Yunho sighed tiredly.