Start

Thief in the night

After they paid for their drinks they parted ways. Taemin said he had homework to do and Onew had to work. Key headed home, his home was nearby the café. Now Jonghyun and Minho were left alone.

 

“So mister detective, how are we gonna start?” Jonghyun asked as they were walking home. “Hmm.. It would be helpful if you could get some more information about Ace. Honestly I don’t know much about him, wasn’t very intrested.” Minho smiled sheepishly. Jonghyun laughed. “Yes, sir!” he saluted playfully. Minho nodded. “Thanks.”

Jonghyun streched his armd, placing his hands behind his head. He yawned. “Hey, I’m curious.. Why did you accept so fast? You said that you weren’t intrested in Ace before.” He asked. Minho just shrugged. “Don’t have anything better to do anyway. And besides, it seems like a great oppertunity, no?” he responded dryly. It was true though. Minho didn’t go to school because- well, he’s already done with it. He skipped a lot of grades and last year he graduated from university. He worked as detective, but most cases he would get were too simple, like a missing cat. So he rejected most cases, and now he wasn’t really doing anything. His parents started to complain, threating him to stop paying the rent of Minho’s appartement if he wouldn’t do something soon. Then suddenly Ace appeared. First, he thought it would be just a common thief. But lately Ace started to get bigger. Ace stole bigger, important things. Not only that, he also broke into houses of normal people. Ace seemed to bother everyone, yet nobody had ever seen him nor knew his motives. Officials couldn’t catch him, they couldn’t even come close to him. When they appeared on the scene Ace already disappeared without leaving a trace. Like he had never been there in the first place. And from what Minho heard, Ace didn’t hurt anyone while stealing. In short, catching Ace would be good for Minho. Really good.

 

“I guess so. Well, I need to go into the other direction,” Jonghyun shook Minho out of his thoughts. “See you later.” Jonghyun waved. Minho waved back, muttering a ‘see you’ as he watched Jonghyun’s figure walking away. Minho turned to the opposite direction, jogging to his house.

 

Minho layed down on his couch with a bag of chips. He grabbed his book and started to read until his phone beeped. A text.

 

From: Handsome Dino

Subject: i got the info~

 

Here you go~

Before the Ace steals something, he sents a notice beforehand that says where and what he’s gonna steal that night. After he steals he disappears, leaving no trace, literally. People he robbed can’t seem to remember anything from it. That’s all, there isn’t much to find on him but we’ll figure out ;)

 

 

To: Handsome Dino

Subject: RE:i got the info~

 

Thank you, I’m sure we could use this.

 

 

Minho smiled, he was statisfied with this information. “Leaving a notice before stealing, huh..?” Minho mumbled. That wasn’t really smart for a thief to do, honestly. Why would he want the police, his enemy, to know where he was going to strike? Unless he was fooling around with them. Which was the most logical answer.

Minho’s thoughts got interrupted by his ringing phone. He grabbed his phone. Taemin was calling him.

“Yes?”

“Hyung! Hello!”

“Hello, Taemin.”

“Hyung, you’re really smart, right? Could you help me with my homework?”

“Sure. What do you need help with?”

“½ of 5 = 3. If the same proportion holds, what is the value of 1/3 of 10?”

“It’s 4.”

“Oh, thank you, hyung! You really helped me out! I had finished everything but this question..”

“You’re welcome, Taemin.”

“Hey, hyung, do you maybe want to hang out later?”

“Of course, right now?”

“No, no! Right now I’m busy. I meant another day, like tomorrow?”

“Oh, I see. Tomorrow’s fine, see you tomorrow then.”

“See you tomorrow! Bye!”

“Bye.”

 

He smiled as he hung up. Taemin was always so energetic. It was cute. Minho stuffed his mouth full of chips and resumed his reading.

Minho’s reading was once again interrupted when someone rang his door. Annoyed, he got up and walked to his door. When he opened the door he was surpirsed to see nobody. “Ah, is this some pranl kids these days do?” he asked himself. Then he spotted something on his doormat. He picked it up, it was a small note. Minho frowned.

 

Choi Minho,

Let’s meet tonight, at Gangnam.

 

Ace.

 

 

Minho’s frown narrowed. The Ace sent him a note? Did that mean he was going to strike tonight? Minho grabbed his phone.

 

 

To: Handsome Dino, Diva

Subject:

 

Guys, tonight we will go to Gangnam.

 


 

“So? Where excactly are we headed?” Key asked as he followed Minho. Minho grabbed the paper and showed him. “Gangnam.” he stated. “Don’t you have a street name or house number? That would be a lot easier, you know.” Jonghyun complained. “They weren’t mentioned.” Minho simply replied. Jonghyun grabbed the note out of Minho’s hands. “That’s strange, normally he writes the street and number.” He mumbled. Now they all stopped walking. Jonghyun grabbed his phone and showed it to Minho. On his phone were several pictures of notes similiar to Minho’s, all from Ace. And as Jonghyun said, they all mentioned the street and number.

"It seems like Ace loves to play games." Minho stated dryly. Jonghyu hitted him. "Aish, how are we gonna find him now? Go to every building in Gangnam? That would take an eternity!" he complained again. Minho patted his shoulder. "It seems like we don't have another choice, right?" And with that they continued to walk.

"But maybe he couldn't say the adress?" Key suddenly spoke up. Jonghyun and Minho looked at him. "What do you mean? A thief isn't even supposed to tell the adress in the first place." Jonghyun said annoyed. Key seemed to think for a while. "But he did that before right? Why didn't he do it now?" Jonghyun and Minho fell quiet. "There must be something behind it." Key said. "And what is that something?" Jonghyun asked him.

"Tetraphobia."

Minho's eyes widened, while Jonghyu snorted. "And what's that?"

"Avoiding specific numbers because of supersition." Minho answered for Key.

"Excactly. The number 4 sounds the same as 'death' and is avoided as much as possible. What if Ace is a tetraphobic? I mean, it's pretty common here, hospital rooms don't even have a room 4. So the address has to be something with 4."

Jonghyun clapped. "As expected from the Almighty Key. I wouldn't even come up with this. But we still don't know the street, so we aren't really any further.." he groaned.

Key grinned, baring his teeth. "Don't say that. The street name maybe couldn't be mentioned too." Jonghyun looked confused. "The fourth street.." Minho said quietly. Key nodded. "It has to be the fourth street of Gangnam. It could also be 13, but Gangnam doesn't even have 13 streets. Jonghyun, what's the fourth street?" he asked, turning to Jonghyun. "Guseong-dong. Well then, let's go." Jonghyun replied, also grinning.

And so they took off, to Guseong-Dong 4.

 

 

 

 

 

 

At the other side of Gangnam, a figure strolled through a small alley. The figure, a young man chuckeled to himself, looking up to the night sky.

"Don't disappoint me, Minho."

 

 

 

A/N: I have no idea what the fourth street of Gangnam is I just made that up. Did anyone notice the foreshadowing?