Present day pt.2

Love of the unloved


Amber looked at Key with wide eyes before a large smile made them turn into little cresents. “OH MY GOD! This is brilliant! Welcome, oh my god, we’re gonna have to do some cleaning, but for now you can share a room with Jjong he has a spare bed in his room, this will be great!” Amber spoke quickly. Key just nodded, smiling nervously as she continued to talk. Ailee smiled at the success as she continued to drive, Jonghyun smiled for a short moment before looking out the window.

When they got to the apartment Ailee made them all sit down and have dinner before sending Key to have a shower and getting Jonghyun to take his things to his own room. It wasn’t until Key finished his shower and stood at Jonghyun’s door did he feel fully nervous, Jonghyun seemed nice in the car and he was handsome, had a lovely smile, but Key felt something different, something that warned him the other wasn’t like this often, something that told him the other wouldn’t be the same.

Shaking off the thoughts Key lightly knocked on the door, getting a small ‘Come in’ as a reply. After a deep breath Key opened the door, Jonghyun’s room was tidy, there was a desk by the window, a laptop sat neatly in the middle, books, papers, and stationary neatly stacked around it, there was a big wardrobe and then another set of draws beside the one of the two beds. Key suddenly noticed he’d been standing silently at the door for a few minutes now and awkwardly tried to explain why he was there.
“Uh…Amber said to come here after my shower…her and Ailee have gone out or something…” Key spoke quietly. Jonghyun nodded before getting up off the bed and walking closer to Key.
“You can have that bed, and I put your bag on top of those draws, I don’t use them so you can have them I guess” Jonghyun spoke, pointing to the neat bed, and the draws that were pressed against the wall.
“T-thanks” Key muttered quietly, cursing himself for stuttering. Jonghyun just gave a quick nod before leaving the room. When Key heard the bath room door close he let out a sigh of relief that he didn’t know he was holding in.

Slowly Key made his way to his bag and looked at the draws, with the things he had now he could barely fill one of the three draws so instead the put his bag under the bed and opted to lie down for awhile, soon he fell asleep.

——

Key woke up quickly clenching his chest, panting heavily as he tried to take in his surroundings. Everything was blurry, he knew this feeling well, he’d had a nightmare again, he heard someone calling his name telling him everything was okay, it was Ailee. When Key felt her arms wrap around him he gripped on her tightly, slowly calming down as he vision came back. Key looked around, he saw Ailee’s worried face as she held him, rubbing his back to calm him, he saw Jonghyun and Amber staring at him, Amber wore a look of worry and confusion well Jonghyun looked blank, but panic could be seen in his eyes.
“I’m sorry” Key apologised, bowing his head slightly.
“Are you okay?” Amber asked. Key nodded, letting go of Ailee and smiling.
“I’m fine, just a bad dream, I’m sorry for worrying you” Key replied. No one looked like they believed he was okay, but no one would dare to question it.
“Key, hunny, you’re still shaking” Ailee pointed out. Key just chuckled at it.
“It’s fine, I just need some more sleep, it’s okay…please go back to what you were doing, I’ll be okay, and again I’m sorry for worrying you” Key spoke, hiding any fear that could leak out through his voice. Amber and Ailee nodded, bidding the two boys good night and leaving. Jonghyun stared at Key a little longer, Key shifted nervously until Jonghyun left the room. Key looked down at his hands, they were shaking, he took a deep breath, closing his eyes and thinking back on the dream.

It was like all the other ones, he was six years old, staring at his mother as she yelled at his father, they were arguing over the same thing, him. They yelled different names at each other, but none were aimed at the other, they were all aimed at Key, and when Key’s mother slapped his father Key new he had to run, running was his only way to survive, so he ran, through the house, hearing his name being yelled in a deep angry voice, his step siblings calling out to his father, telling him where Key was, and Key could feel his heart racing as he pushed past the back door out into the back yard, running into the forest, his father screaming his name. Key pulled his legs closer to his chest as he remembered his father finding him and dragging him across the forest group, yard area and back through the house, throwing him against a wall and screaming in his face, calling him worthless, disgusting, reminding him he’s a piece of , Key was thankful to not have been hit, but he ended up with another scar, this one going from his waist and twisting up his back, stopping just before it got to his back bone.

Then Key felt something cold hit his arm and looked up quickly. He saw Jonghyun holding a cold glass of water.
“Here” Jonghyun whispered. Key took the bottle, nodding his head as a thank you, downing the whole glass quickly and handing it back to Jonghyun’s open hand.
“Don’t think on the bad things, just breath, O suggest you change into something else and then get some sleep…” Jonghyun muttered, leaving with the glass. Key just nodded, listening to what Jonghyun said. Key climbed out of bed, pulling off his shirt, and stuffing it into his duffle bag, hunting for something else to wear. Everything Key looked at came with a bad memory, it was always like this when memories were vivid in Key’s mind, something Key would have to hunt down other clothes, or grab something quick and then go buy new clothes.

Key sat on the floor staring the the clothing in front of him, before packing it all back into his bag and even throwing his sweat pants into the bag and pushing it under the bed, leaving him in his boxers, curled in a ball, knees hugged tightly to his chest.

——-

When Jonghyun got to the sink, he rinsed the glass and once the water was shut off his leaned on the sink, staring at the water slowly slipping down the drain, scenes from ealier playing through his mind.

Jonghyun rushed out of the shower hearing someone yelling, knowing it was only him and Key home he thought someone had come in and made a quick dash to his room, but when he saw Key curled up tightly, crying and sweating from fear he rushed to his side, grabbing his phone and quickly calling Ailee who told him to sit Key up and rub his back, Jonghyun did what he was told and asked then to come home quickly. It’d been a long time since Jonghyun had been this scared of something, or someone, but once everything was calmed, Jonghyun felt a small curiosity build, but after talking with Ailee when he went to get Key a glass of water he knew it wasn’t right to ask.

Taking a deep breath Jonghyun pushed off the sink walking back to his room, gently opening and closing the door, when he saw Key practically and curled in a ball Jonghyun knew something was wrong, he slowly walked closer trying to figure out the situation, he saw the duffle bag pushed under the bed, it looked like Key had rushed to hide his clothes in it, Jonghyun guessed something about the clothing was uncomfortable, so Jonghyun went to his own wardrobe, getting a hoodie and sweats, walking to Key and crouching beside him.
“Hey, you can borrow these” Jonghyun spoke, holding his clothes out to Key. He tried to put emotion into his voice, but it’d been a very long time since Jonghyun had spoken this much, the only reason he’d done so today was because Amber was worried about Ailee and Jonghyun was attempting to distract her.

Key looked at Jonghyun with wide eyes.
“T-thank you” Key stuttered, taking the clothing and sliding it on. Key sat on his own bed watching as Jonghyun moved back to his own. Key smiled at the clothing, it was warm and smelt nice, Key felt himself feeling calmed, as he climbed back into bed. Soon both were asleep, Jonghyun’s curiosity still there, but he was tired and knew it’d be wrong to ask.

——-

The next day Key took a few seconds to adjust to his surroundings, looking to his side he noticed Jonghyun was out of bed, so he checked the time, it was only 10am, so he decided to climb out of bed. Slowly Key made his way to the kitchen, Ailee was standing at the stove, well Amber stood beside her cutting fruits, Jonghyun wasn’t there though.
“Morning, can I help with anything?” Key attempted. Amber and Ailee turned to him and smiled.
“Good morning dear” Ailee replied.
“Good morning Key, just have a seat, Jonghyun should be home soon, and then we can all have breakfast together” Amber chuckled. Key just nodded, sitting at the table. When the front door opened Jonghyun walked in, not greeting anyone but Amber and Ailee still bid him good morning as he made his was down the hall. Key noticed the blank face Jonghyun wore and suddenly felt worried. Ailee seemed to notice as she set the table.
“Don’t worry Key, he’s just gone back to normal mode…he’s been like that for a few years…we don’t really know what to do…” Ailee spoke, trying to smile, but worry and sadness evident in her eyes, she knew Key could tell.
“Yah, stop reading me” Ailee giggled.
“Reading?” Amber asked, setting the fruit out on the table.
“Key has this thing where he can tell what’s really happening with a person by looking at them…it’s really cool” Ailee answered. Amber seemed interested in this as she sat at the table. “Really? How? Can you teach me how to do it?” Amber asked quickly. Key was taken back for a second but tried to smile.
“Uh…I don’t know…it’s just a thing I have” Key replied. Amber pouted for a second before smiling again.
“Can you tell me what’s going on with me?” Amber asked. Key looked at her for a second, confused at the request, but then he saw Ailee with a pleading look and shrugged taken a quick look at Amber.
“You’re excited, happy, but always worried about someone, and trying to keep yourself bright…” Key spoke, before stopping himself. Although he thought Amber would be weirded out, or annoyed that Key went to far, instead she wore a large smile. “THAT’S AMAZING!!! JJONGIE GET IN HERE” Amber yelled through the house. They heard the shower stop and soon Jonghyun entered the kitchen.
“Sit down and look at Kibum” Amber commanded. Jonghyun did as told, looking at Key.
“Do it to him!” Amber spoke. Ailee just giggled. Key looked at Jonghyun, blushing slightly, until he saw the blank expression. Looking at Jonghyun’s eyes Key could see the compassion, the pain, something dark hidden, Key could see small blinks of happiness, he could tell Jonghyun missed someone and had something bad happen. Soon Key could tell he was taking too long, so he tried to coughed awkwardly.
“What is it?” Amber asked. Key turned to her and smiled awkwardly.
“I..uhh…I don’t think it’s my place to say anything…I uh…” The room was silent and Key felt awkward, until Ailee stole everyones attention with pancakes. Key smiled at her, saying a thank you as she handed him a few.

They ate comfortably, Key noticed Jonghyun would barely say anything, but he found out that Jonghyun goes for a run some mornings, but he’s always back by breakfast. It wasn’t until the front door opened did Jonghyun’s expression change slightly, Key noticed the joy shine in his eyss for a few seconds.
“Hello?” Minhyuk spoke, walking into the kitchen. “What are you doing here?” Amber asked, getting up and hugging him. “I came to visit as a surprise, I brought Kihwan as well” Minhyuk spoke happily as another male entered the kitchen, hugging him from behind. Jonghyun got up quickly and hugged both of them, they happily squished him with hugs. “We missed you too” Kihwan smiled.

Since Mihyun had passed away Kihwan stuck around, helping the out where he could, even helping with Jonghyun’s move to Amber and Ailee’s apartment, and becoming Minhyuk’s roommate in the new apartment, and after awhile the two grew closer and had started dating, before they even started dating they talked to Jonghyun about it, only to find out that he’d been expecting and ready to support the relationship. Then the couple began having to travel for work, and studying so much that their visits became rare, but any visit was good enough.

“So who’s the new comer?” Minhyuk asked after him and Kihwan joined them for breakfast.
“Kibum, he’s the newest addition to our family” Ailee answered, Minhyuk and Kihwan knew the name and smiled at Kibum.
“Welcome, I hope Jonghyun’s blank silence hasn’t put you off staying, I promise he’s actually quiet lively…he’s just too lost in his mind” Minhyuk spoke. Key smiled happily.
“It’s nice to meet you, please call me Key…and uh I don’t know how to reply to that” Key answered honestly, causing the others to laugh, Jonghyun remaining blank as he continued to eat.

They spent the rest of the day watching movies and talking, Key discovering more about what was going on with everyone in the apartment, he learnt a bit about Jonghyun’s sister, but he noticed Jonghyun was uncomfortable and slowly changed the subject to why he’d run away, he ended up telling them everything, hiding a few details, it hurt and felt weird to talk about, but he didn’t want to bring something bad up for anyone else. The night ended when they had to say goodbye to Kihwan and Minhyuk, everyone showered and went to bed, Key borrowing Jonghyun’s hoodie again, this time finding it too hot to sleep with the sweat pants.

But he got a good night sleep…feeling relieved.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

It's nearly 2am and I really wanted to write this, but I am sorry if it doesn't live up to expectation or anything...I just really wanted to point out where everyone was and show what was happening to Minhyuk, and say he's happy with Kihwan and they probably won't show up a hell of a lot because yeah....I'm sorry...I'm gonna go to sleep >_>

-N