The polaroid, the spider and the sock

The UNIQ Boys Next Door

I got up from the bench and stretched my limbs out. It was convenient to have a park nearby for morning walks. I had decided I didn’t want to stay copped up in the house every morning which is how I found out about the park. It wasn’t huge but it was large enough with nice fresh and green scenery. There were joggers, walkers, cyclists and people with dogs passing by every now and then. As I neared the outskirts of the park, my phone vibrated in my pocket. It was Yixuan.

                ‘Morning!’
                                ‘Morning! Hey, are you out right now?’
                ‘Yeah, I’m at the park. Why?’
                                ‘Oh good. Can you stop by the bakery and get like two loaves of sweet bread?’
                ‘Suurre, is that all? I can stop by the supermarket as well.’
                                ‘Yeah, yeah that’s all. Wenhan should still be at home.’
                ‘Alright, I’ll drop it off soon then.’
                                ‘Thank you! See you later.’
                ‘Byeee!’

I shoved the phone into my pocket and started heading over to the bakery. When I was about to turn a corner a block away, a deep voice cried out from behind. ‘Excuse me!’ I turned my head to see a guy steadily jogging over to me. He had a large camera dangling around his neck and held a smaller polaroid camera in his hand. I was on guard, not sure what to expect. 
‘Ah, sorry. I just wanted to give you this.’ It was a polaroid of me standing by one of the trees at the park just before when I was on the phone.  I examined the photo closely and then looked up at him, confused and slightly weirded out. He was a giant. He was at least the same height as Yixuan if not taller.
‘I accidentally took it with you in it so I thought you should have it.’ The guy heartily chuckled. 'Instead of me just throwing it out, you know?' 
‘Oh…thanks.’ I smiled and looked down at the polaroid. It was strangely a nice picture. ‘So, are you always taking pictures of strangers or…?’ I teased, crossing my arms. He cutely stared blankly at me for a second before his soft brown eyes widened. At a closer look, I realised he had mono eyelids and yet his eyes were still so round, just like Sungjoo's.
‘No! No, it was an accident I swear!’ He cried out, flustered. ‘I was just trying to take a photo of the…’
‘It’s fine, it’s fine. I’m just kidding.’ I laughed. He gave out a sigh of relief. ‘Well, thank you for the photo.’ I popped the polaroid into my wallet and slightly bowed before turning to leave.
‘Yeah, of course. See you around...maybe.’ 
‘Yeah, maybe.’ I casually replied before heading on my way.

~

I quickly tapped the code in to open the door and popped my head inside.
‘Hello?’ I cried out.
‘Who is it?’ It sounded like Wenhan but I wasn’t sure.
‘It’s Chi!’ I replied, slowly stepping inside with the food from the bakery in my arms.
‘Oh! I’ll be right with you!’
I quietly closed the door behind me and slipped on the nearest slippers. They were all way too big for me anyway. I placed the bakery bag on top of the kitchen counter and waited for a bit.
‘Ah, hello. Sorry about that.’ Wenhan said as he walked out of one of the room. His eyes immediately glowed with excitement as he rushed over to the counter. ‘Now that smells so good.’
 I tried my best to focus on his face and not the fact that he was half- and looked like he just got out of the shower with a towel wrapped around his waist and water dropping off of his hair and down his bare skin.Was he that comfortable around me already?
‘Yixuan asked me to buy some sweet bread for you guys. I also got some pastries as well.’
‘Is there something for me?’ Wenhan beamed.
‘There’s  something for everyone.’ Wenhan just nodded and dug through the bag. I grimaced, sure that he ignored me,
‘You better not eat them all, I’ll be checking later.’ 
‘I won’t, I won’t.’ He goofily smiled and continued picking out a treat for himself.  
‘Alright…well I have to go out again soon so I’ll meet up with you guys later tonight.’
‘Oh yeah, no problems, I’ll tell everyone else when they’re back.’
Wenhan scuffled past to me to the door. Despite my futile attempts to not stare, I ended up looking at Wenhan’s back from behind anyway. He was undoubtedly well-built and his back and arm muscles were particularly attractive. Just as he was about to open the door for me, he cried out and leaped backwards, bumping into me. What the…? All of a sudden, he was hiding behind me, holding me by the shoulders. ‘Um, what’s wrong?’ Confused, I looked at the door and saw a thick black spider the size of a cotton ball on the door handle. Instinctively, I started backing away too.
‘What are you hiding behind me for!?’ I angrily cried out.
‘I really really am not good with spiders.’ Wenhan gave me an apologetic smile.
‘Well neither am I!’
All of a sudden, the spider seemed to leap off of the door handle onto the ground and started rushing towards us in frighteningly fast but jolted movements. We both started screaming and were eventually forced to jump onto the couch. The spider remained dead still for a while, toying with us. I didn’t even have time to think about how tightly Wenhan was holding onto me. Just as I was I slowly reaching for my slipper, the spider started crawling towards us again. In the midst of our screaming and shouting, someone entered from the door.
‘Seungyoun is back!’ Seungyoun gleefully announced as he entered the room, silencing our screams. When he took off his shoes, he looked up to see both of us standing on top of the couch and Wenhan half- clinging onto me from behind. 

‘Should I ask or...?’ Seungyoun questioned as he walked towards us, extremely suspicious. Before we could open our mouths to warn him, our jaws dropped as we watched him unknowingly step right on top on the spider, crushing it beneath his foot. I could feel Wenhan cringe a little behind me.
‘Are you guys oka-?’ Before Seungyoun could finish, Wenhan had already excitedly jumped off the couch and leaped at him.
‘Seungyoun!’ Wenhan cried as he squeezed Seungyoun. ‘I love you!’
‘Hahaha I love you too.’ Seungyoun said, confused but pleasantly surprised. ‘Do I get a hug as well?’ He cheekily grinned at me, showing off his cute eye smile.
‘Maybe when you wash your socks...’ I said as I stepped down from the couch.‘My socks? What’s wrong with my socks?’ Seungyoun innocently examined his socks and then started screaming at the sight of the dead spider flattened on the sole of his foot. He fell backward with Wenhan still hanging onto him and quickly pulled the sock off with his other foot. Seungyoun and Wenhan both rushed over and stood behind me and for what seemed like a full minute, we just stayed still in the same spot and stared at the sock.
‘Why didn’t you guys tell me?’ Seungyoun whispered.
‘We were about to until you stepped on it.’ Wenhan replied.
‘Why are we whispering?’ I asked.
‘I don’t know.’ I cracked up laughing and looked back at them. ‘Okay, I have to leave now…’
‘Chi! Don’t leave us with the sock!’ Seungyoun and Wenhan jokingly pleaded, pulling back my arms.
‘Let…go!’ I cried out, using all of my strength to loosen their grip on me. 

~


Later that night, Yixuan was doing a last minute clean up of the place. As he scouted the area, he came across a lone sock on the floor. ‘What’s this doing here?’ Yixuan quietly mumbled as shook his head and picked up the sock. He would never understand his kids’ strange and messy habits.
 



Next Chapter Preview:
'Ah! Polaroid girl!'
 



Author's Note: Hehe, poor Wenhan. I oh so smoothly (lol not really) intro'd new character but who is he? Who knows. Definitely not me. Pssst, I added a new character picture. Shoutout to the people who know who the actual person is, hahaha. Isn't he just the cutest? *___* Thanks for reading! I'll be back real real soon, I promise. :)) Still have a lot of events to publish!