Tai Chi to YG

The UNIQ Boys Next Door

I slammed my hand onto the alarm clock to stop the loud screeching in my ears and slithered out of my bed like a snake. Still in a daze, I opened the balcony door and stepped outside, taking in a deep breath of the fresh morning air.  In my peripheral, I could see another person who turned out to be Yixuan. ‘Morning!’ I yelled out to surprise him. He turned around and waved at me.  His eyes widened slightly and he quickly turned away. He looked at the ground whilst quickly taking off his green hoodie and suddenly threw it across the balconies over to my side. I scrambled across the floor to catch it in time.
‘Ah, please put that on.’ Yixuan said as he looked straight ahead at the city skyline with his hands in his pockets. He stood there with a stiff posture, wearing only his loose black tank top and grey drop crotch pants. It’s not that cold though… I was still confused but I put my arm through the sleeve and then realized I was wearing a very thin singlet and night shorts which overall might have been too revealing. I shyly smiled at Yixuan’s thoughtfulness.
‘Oh, thank you.’ I said, embarrassed at my carelessness.
‘No worries, no worries. You should be more careful though. Not every guy is like me.’ Yixuan smugly said.  I giggled and nodded in agreement.
‘Wow, it looks like a dress.’ Yixuan started laughing, cover his mouth with fist. I waved my arms up and down and the long sleeves started flopping around. The bottom of the giant-sized hoodie covered my shorts, nearly reaching my knees.
‘What were you doing?’ I asked him.
‘Some Tai Chi.’
‘Tai Chi? Isn’t that for old people?’ I teased. Yixuan’s face twisted with offense.
‘Why does everyone say that? Tai Chi is for everyone.’ Yixuan said, exasperated.
‘I was joking, I was joking.’ I laughed. ‘Go on, show me some Tai Chi.’
‘Are you sure? Are you just asking to be nice now?’ Yixuan looked at me with suspicion.
‘No, really. I’m curious.’ I insisted as I keenly pulled my sleeves up and waited for his instructions.
‘Okay…well first stand with your feet apart like this…and then bring both your arms in front of you...’ Yixuan patiently directed me through the moves, step by step. ‘Now move your right arm in a circular motion like this…’ Yixuan had his eyes closed, fully immersed in his movements. I was closely watching Yixuan and copying him when suddenly I saw Sungjoo slowly sneak behind Yixuan. I made eye contact with Sungjoo who held his finger to his lips and grinned widely. As Yixuan continued to tell me the steps, with his eyes still closed, Yibo, Wenhan and Seungyoun tip-toed onto the balcony one by one to join Sungjoo. They all spread out behind Yixuan and all at once, started imitating Yixuan, exaggerating every move or twisting them into their own ridiculous version whilst making outrageously funny faces. I bit my lip to hold back my muffled laughter. They then started posing as animals like in kung-fu movies. Once Seungyoun started acting like a wild and violent monkey jumping around the floor, I couldn’t hold it anymore and burst into a fit of laughter, clutching my stomach as I dropped to the ground. Yixuan looked at me, perplexed, and then spun around. The guys started cackling and bolted off before Yixuan could catch them.
‘Those kids…always making fun of my Tai Chi.’ Yixuan grumbled with his hands on his hips. I tried to calm down my laughter and wiped the tears off my cheeks. ‘Don’t worry I enjoyed it. Thank you.’ I sincerely said. Yixuan grinned.
‘Oh, I almost forgot to ask you. What are you doing today?’
‘Well…nothing.’ I laughed despite the feeling of my soul dying a bit inside. I really had absolutely no plans at all like usual and was getting sick of it.
‘Do you want to go to practice with us? We can show you around the area too.' 
‘Sounds good! Where are we heading?’
'Not telling! Just get ready, we'll pick you up in a few minutes.'

~

As soon as we got out of the elevator, Sungjoo jogged ahead of us and hopped into the driver’s seat of the black van. He rolled down the window and started waving at us. ‘Let’s go! Let’s go!’ He grinned widely. I halted my steps and held my arms out to stop the others.
‘Wait, wait, wait. Is Sungjoo driving us?’ I asked urgently. I wasn’t sure why but I had assumed Yixuan would be the one driving. It was probably because he was the oldest and well, he seemed like the most responsible in the group. Wenhan was the first to start laughing behind me and everyone joined in. Well everyone except Sungjoo.
‘For your information, I am an excellent driver.’ Sungjoo said offended, glaring at me from his seat.
‘You got a fine once.’ Seungyoun yelled and jokingly hid himself behind me.
‘That was one time! Now hurry up guys!’
‘Why aren’t you the one driving us again?’ I asked Yixuan as we slowly walked over to the van.
‘Sungjoo’s the only one with a Korean license amongst us.’
Yixuan hopped into the passenger seat whilst Seungyoun, Yibo, Wenhan and I jumped into the back.
‘Does he really know how to drive?’ I whispered to Yibo when we settled into our seats.
‘Not really.’ Yibo whispered back to me.
‘I can hear you guys, you know.’ Sungjoo growled from the front. We all started giggling amongst ourselves.
‘So where are we going exactly?’ I asked again, since Yixuan didn't tell me before. 
‘We're going to…’ Seungyoun excitedly started a drumroll by slapping his knees, ‘YG Entertainment!’ He beamed at me with glistening eyes. 
‘YG Entertainment…’ I uttered under my breath, staring at him blankly. He frowned.
‘Wenhan…she really knows nothing!’ Seungyoun threw a tantrum and burrowed his head into Wenhan’s shoulder. I just sheepishly smiled and nodded my head in agreement.
‘YG is one of the top music companies in South Korea. A lot of well-known artists are under YG.’ Wenhan said calmly, trying to push Seungyoun away from him. 
‘Soooo, you guys are under YG?’
‘Well, I wouldn’t say we’re under YG but we train and practice in their building? You could say we’re practicing under YG.’ He explained.
‘Ah I see…’ I uttered, looking outside of the window. The Korean music industry seemed to be a lot more complex than I had realized and I was still getting used to it.

Apart from his abrupt braking at traffic lights and tendency to drive too slowly, Sungjoo was a fine driver, given the chaotic happenings inside the car. They blasted the music to what seemed like maximum volume and either banged their brains out to the dance songs like GD X Taeyang’s Good Boy or emotionally sang (or more so, shouted) to slower songs like BEAST’s 12:30. The most memorable moment was when One Direction’s What Makes You Beautiful came on which was one of very few songs that I actually recognised on their playlist. They all sang it maybe too enthusiastically and kept on pointing at me throughout the song which was simultaneously embarrassing and fun. The ride itself did not take that long, perhaps just under 20 minutes. Soon, just ahead of us was a monstrous strange building which stood out because of its unique design and instead of turning into what looked like the car park, Sungjoo drove a bit further down the road and did a parallel park to the sidewalk.
‘Why are we parking here?’ Yibo asked as he unbuckled his seatbelt.
‘Car park renovations.’ Sungjoo said. He reached into his pocket and threw a black face mask onto my lap. ‘You’ll be needing that.’ Despite being slightly confused, I put the mask on, as did Yixuan and Wenhan. As soon as we got out of the car, Yibo pushed his silky hair back and popped on his snapback. I followed behind Sungjoo who walked in front of us and soon enough, I realized what they were anticipating – fangirls. 

 



Next Chapter Preview:
At the gate of the building, an unexpectedly large group of girls had gathered. Sungjoo nudged me to the front and whispered from behind, ‘Just move past the girls, go to the entrance and we’ll be right behind you.’ As soon as the girls saw us, they dashed to us and in an instant, we were surrounded with phones and cameras being shoved into our faces. I did as Sungjoo had told me and walked through the crowd. It was strange that I got through so easily at first until I realized that, well, of course it was easy…they were after the people behind me.

 



Author's note: Sorry it's been a while! I've just been caught up with things (and will continue to be busy) but don't worry, I hope to update this as often as I can! This chapter was written hrrmmm not in a rush but I wasn't as careful with the editing as I was with the previous chapters and that will probably be the case with future chapters too if I want to keep up semi-regular updates. I hope you enjoyed it still! Also, I'd really like some comments/feedback on what you think so far! >///<" What you like...don't like...anything really, hahaha. I know there's a lack of a bigger plot but I'm working on it I swear! And as always, thanks for reading! :))