Watermelon-flavoured cotton candy

The UNIQ Boys Next Door

‘Chhhiiiii!!! Over here, over here!’ Minny eagerly waved me over to the counter.
‘What’s wrong?’ I quickly wiped my hands on my apron. I could see her holding her phone in her hand from afar so I knew she was either going to show me an idol’s selca or a MV.
‘Remember that group of tall good-looking guys who came to our cafe that one time?’
‘Yes...’ Yes, I do remember them.
‘They released a new MV this morning!’ Minny’s eyes sparkled as she tapped on her phone.
‘Oh really…?’ It was hard pretending not to know about it when the very same guys had made me stay up to stream and watch the MV with them last night. I had to put up with a lot of commentary from them as we replayed the MV several times on the big screen. Seungyoun even wrote a comment on their own video:
Yibo is so ugly~ I like Seungyoun oppa way better~ So s*xy~
Needless to say, that was the start of a very intense keyboard battle in the comment section between the two of them.

Minny pulled me in and then pressed play on the video. It was bizarre to think that I was actually there on set just a week ago.
‘Kyaaahhh!’ Minny squealed at the sight of them lifting up their shirts. From the very beginning, she had her fangirl mode as expected.  ‘Omo omo omo omo.’ Her jaw dropped when they dropped to the ground and started sweeping the floor with their knees. She even had to pause it to calm down. It was probably too much for her to handle.
‘What are you guys watching?’ Sungho hovered behind us to take a look. I burst out laughing at his distressed face when he realised we were watching the MV he was actually in. He cleared his throat and glared at me, warning me to restrain myself. Fortunately, Minny was still too focused on the MV to notice us.
‘Oh you know what’s even better?’ Minny excitedly asked. I shook my head. ‘I hear they might be performing at our college festival!’
‘We’re having a festival?’ Before Minny could answer, we greeted the incoming customers who were then served by Sungho.
‘Oooohhh, you probably didn’t know! All colleges hold festivals every year for students.’ Minny said in a quieter voice.
‘What for?’
‘Drinking!’ Sungho loudly replied on the other side. Minny chuckled and returned her attention to me.
‘It’s just tradition. It’s the time of the year where everyone just kind of drops everything to have a good time.’ Minny explained. I nodded despite feeling unsure about these festivals. If they were anything like American college parties… ‘Oh my god, it’s going to be so much fun. You’re going right? Of course you are because I’m going!” Minny hugged my arm and giggled.
‘Yeah, of course…’

Later on when I was on my break, I sent off a quick message in Kakaotalk.
You: hey
You: are you guys performing at my college festival this weekend?
mamayx: no??
mamayx: where’d you hear that from?
You: oh...okay
You: its just a rumour going around then?
mamayx: weird...we’re performing on music shows this weekend though
You: i see
You: nevermind!

~

The days passed by quickly and before we knew it, it was already the night of the festival. Even though it started during the day, everyone had insisted we go at night for the height of the festivities and it definitely lived up to the hype surrounding it. The whole campus was lit up with fairy lights that were wrapped around the trees and buildings. There were food and game stalls set up everywhere and live busking and performances scattered across the campus. We had stopped at a game booth because Minny had her eye on a stuffed toy prize and was forcing Sungho to play for her. I stood around waiting for them because Hyojin had dragged Joowon to get some hot food with her in the stall next door.  I narrowed my eyes at two tall guys who looked awfully suspicious with their snapbacks pulled down and sunglasses on even though it was clearly night time. They were waiting for their cotton candy but had their hands tucked away in their pockets and were looking around anxiously. Once I got a good view of their faces, I sprinted over and grabbed them by their ears despite much protest and pulled them away so that the others couldn’t see us.
‘Gah, what’s the big deal?’ Yibo growled whilst rubbing his ear. Seungyoun didn’t even care and was busy stuffing his face with the cotton candy like a child.
‘What are you guys doing here!?’ I exclaimed. I wasn’t mad, just too surprised to contain myself.
‘Excuse you, we are honorary guests of this grand event.’ Seungyoun said proudly with his mouth full.
‘So you guys are performing!’ I cried with my arms crossed. Minny will be happy then.  ‘Where are the others? You guys are too young to be at a college festival by yourselves.’ Putting my intentions to piss them off aside, I knew very well that there was free alcohol being distributed everywhere and almost everyone was in a festive mood. Yibo and Seungyoun looked at each other as if they were seriously telepathically communicating and then grinned at each other. I ripped off some of their cotton candy and watched them cluelessly as the sugar melted in my mouth.
‘We don’t know…’ Seungyoun leaned in, ‘but should we call Sungjoo for you to find out where he is?’ Seungyoun asked slyly.
‘Or we can call him to wherever you want him to be. How about the romantic ferris wheel of passion? ’ Yibo grinned widely at me.
‘Or the horror house of hugs and kisses?’ Seungyoun added. He closed his eyes and puckered up his lips whilst leaning in even more and I pushed his face away with my palm.
‘YAH!’ I cried out angrily. Without even another word from them, they both ran off in two different directions like naughty children with the cotton candy in their hands and left me behind. I frantically turned my head because I didn’t know who to run after and eventually gave up. I couldn’t stay grumpy for long and returned to the others who were finished with whatever they were doing. I  do wonder where the others are…

It didn’t take me long to find another one. A crowd had gathered near one of the libraries and as soon as I saw a bunch of girls murmuring amongst themselves, I had a good gut-feeling. I made my way through the front of the small crowd and not surprisingly, there were two half- guys in what seemed like a push up competition.
    124, 125, 126…’
I squatted down right beside the guy with the bright stylish hair on the left and calmly said, ‘Wenhan…’  As soon as he turned his head up to face me, his hand slipped out of shock and his whole body dropped onto the ground. He started rolling around on the floor, quietly groaning, whilst the crowd applauded the other guy who was the winner.
‘Are you alright?’ I exclaimed as I helped him up.
‘Chi, I can explain…’ Wenhan urged, still trying to recover from his loss.
‘You don’t have to…’ My eyes unintentionally drifted down to his bare chest. ‘Well okay, you can explain why your shirt is off.’
‘I really wanted the prize.’ Wenhan cried, clearly upset. Prize? I glanced over to the table where they were placed. The prize for first place was a extravagantly decorated basket full of…
‘Really? Lychees?’ I looked at him judgmentally.
‘Premium lychees, Chi.’ For someone who was probably making a lot more than I would ever make, I couldn’t believe he was seriously competing for a basket full of lychees.
I shook my head disapprovingly and handed over his jacket once he had put his shirt back on. I could still hear some of the girls whispering, urging each other to approach him and get pictures taken.
‘I’ll buy you some lychees next week so you don’t have to do - ’
We both turned our heads towards the direction of an announcement being made from the other side of the block. ‘‘...will win the grand prize of...watermelons!’ WHY ARE ALL THE PRIZES FRUIT? The moment I saw Wenhan’s eyes glisten with excitement, I knew I had lost him and that I couldn’t stop him. He loved watermelons afterall. Before I could ask him if he knew where Yixuan and Sungjoo were, he had already sprinted off whilst pulling his jacket off. A bunch of the girls happily chased after him.
‘Don’t forget, you have a performance later!’
‘I know!’ He exclaimed without even looking back.
Well, that’s 3 out of 5 idiots.

 



A/N: 'Look who has come crawling back with an update...tsk'
I'm sorry for such long break!
ヾ( •́д•̀ ;)ノ Some of you might have even forgotten about subscribing to this (for which I'm truly sorry)! I feel guilty for losing momentum for this story because I was updating semi-frequently back then but I'm finally back and that's all that matters right? RIGHT? (●´⌓`●) Please do stay tuned for upcoming chapters because there's a lot more to come! ^^