Prologue: Arrival

The UNIQ Boys Next Door

The car slowed down at a curb before stopping completely at the entrance. We were here. I stepped outside and looked up at the grand hotel, or to be more specific, my father’s grand hotel towering over us. I followed my aunty to the entrance where a rather handsome concierge bowed and greeted us happily. I sheepishly smiled at him and continued to clumsily trail behind my aunty as she walked over to the reception desk. Standing behind her quietly, I admired the high ceilings and shimmering lights. The interior of just the hotel foyer was stunning, and classier than any place I would have stayed at back in California. ‘You’ll be staying on the 38th floor in room 454,’ my aunty smiled meekly and handed over a ke. Until father wants to see me, I begrudgingly told myself. She promptly left me by myself in the foyer with my luggage, saying she had urgent business to. Yeah right. It was already nearly midnight. The only business she had to attend to was her own family.  38th floor… The thought puzzled me as I entered the elevator. It seemed strange. Only the V.I.P luxury rooms would be on the top floors so why was I heading up there?

Knowing my father’s rather unfavourable opinion of me, I was fully expecting to be dumped into a dodgy basement room or at most, a standard one, and not once was I hoping to even catch a glimpse of any of the high-class luxury rooms. But room 454 was neither. It was a penthouse. The very thought of me staying in this monster sized place by myself was baffling. I marveled at the beauty of the city at night glimmering back at me through the glass wall, an uncommon sight for a mere college student like me. The lights automatically, revealing a lavishing king-sized bed beside the glass wall on the far side of the room. The pristine white tiles sparkled beneath me as I walked further into the ever-expanding room. Kitchen. Bathroom. Dining area. Living room. I fell into the black suede couch and looked up at the big chandelier which had a presence of its own at the very centre. I sighed at the absurdity. I was living in a small crummy apartment with a roommate back in the US just yesterday. I got up and walked towards the glass wall to admire the breathtaking view. I opened the entrance to the balcony and stepped outside. The cold breeze brushed against my face as I leaned on the edge. This sort of view isn’t going to last for too long.

Disrupting my thoughts was the sound of faint singing coming from next door. Well, now that I was aware of it, a lot of noise was coming from next door. The singing gradually became louder and more audible until someone opened the glass door and stepped outside, and then the melodious singing became crystal clear. The silky voice belonged to a very tall and slim guy with fluffy brown hair, singing Bruno Mars’ When I Was Your Man. He leaned back against the glass railing and continued to sing passionately as he scrolled through his iPad. I couldn't help but get caught up in his soothing voice and didn't realise I was just watching him until he suddenly turned his head to see me, some creeper, staring at him which forced him to abruptly stop mid-chorus. I have a feeling he was more startled than I was. He shyly smiled at me, his cheeks turning a light shade of pink. I awkwardly smiled back at him and hurried back inside before I opened my mouth and say something stupid. It was certainly too late in the night to have any interactions with strangers. I quickly unpacked my items to get ready for bed and turned off the lights, letting the night sky light up the room instead. I crawled into the cloud-like bed and fell into a deep sleep. 
 



Next chapter preview:
I woke up to the sound of muffled noises from outside. The knocks on my door were disjointed and obnoxiously getting louder. I crawled out of bed, quickly fixed myself up and stomped towards the door, not sure what, or perhaps even who, to expect. As soon as I opened the door, a flurry of girls with cameras appeared before me and started squealing. I stood there blocking my face from the flashes with a loss for words. Upon the sight of me, the squeals died down and turned into groans and screams of anger.