This Surprise, That Surprise

The UNIQ Boys Next Door



A small smile grew on my face as I closed Snapchat and returned to wiping the front counter. It wasn’t long after I started working at the café that the guys told me they had to leave for China for for a few weeks. Of course, they had explained it ages ago to me. They were a Korean-Chinese group so obviously they had activities in both countries. The café was turning out to be a great place to work. There were 2 other girls besides me and 1 other guy. Joowon turned out to be the son of the café owner so he didn’t officially work there but occasionally he helped out on busy days and often helped us close up. It was still rather early in the morning so the café was empty.  Not long after, I felt a vibration in the pocket of my apron and took my phone out. Leaning on the counter, I opened Kakao.

dazhuzi: Chi!
dazhuzi: we got you a gift
dazhuzi: 

My eyes narrowed at the screen, trying hard to decipher what the heck he was posing with. 

You: that is the creepiest thing I have ever seen in my life
dazhuzi: what? you don’t like it?
dazhuzi: 
dazhuzi: I am hurt
You: ==

‘Whatchu lookin’ at?’
Startled, I slammed my phone facedown against the table and turned around to be greeted by a curious Minny.
‘Oh my god, you scared me.’ I clutched my chest. 
‘Huhuhu, Chi is up to something suspicious. Do you have a boyfriend you haven't told us about?’ I shook my head. Minny just smiled cheekily and started scrolling through her own phone. Minny (her real name is Minseo) was one of the two girls I worked with. She was around my height and sported a short orange bob cut which looked incredibly cute on her. She had an incredibly bright personality and her most defining trait was her intense love for Korean idols and celebrities. She seemed to love them all, from the most senior of stars to the newest rookies in the scene and I was learning a lot about the industry just from talking to her at work.
‘GAH!’ Minny cried out only a few minutes later, causing me to stop wiping the counter.
‘What’s wrong?’
‘R-read…read this to me so I know it’s not a dream.’ She held her phone up against my face and pointed at the headline. 
YG announces Big Bang comeback date for April…’ I carefully read out loud. Minny squealed and immediately squatted on the ground, her eyes engrossed on the screen.
‘It’s been three years Chi! Three years!’ She excitedly said. I just nervously laughed, pretending to understand her. 
‘What is it now?’ Hyojin leaned over the bench to look at Minny who just looked up with puppy dog eyes and then dug her face into her palms. Hyojin looked back at me for answers. She was the other girl I worked with. She was strikingly pretty like a doll and considerably tall. She had what the Koreans would consider a ‘chic’ image but despite that, she had always been a pleasant person to talk to and work with.  
‘They announced the comeback date for…’ I began saying.
‘BIG BANG IS COMING BACK!’ Minny shouted. 
‘No way. How long has it been? Ten years?’ Hyojin asked. Minny pretended to wipe a tear away as she nodded.
‘Don’t hold your breath. I bet you they’ll postpone for like…another year.’ Hyojin grinned as she walked off to welcome a customer. Sungho then popped his head out from the kitchen area.
‘Chi, what cake did I have to prepare again?’ He asked. Sungho was the other guy at the café apart from Joowon. He was always working in the back because he was more of a baker and kitchenhand for the café. I hadn’t talked to him as much as I had with the girls but he always had a warm and welcoming vibe to him ever since I started.
‘Mudcake.’ I replied after glancing at the cake stand. 
‘Oh alright. Might have to go get more eggs…’ Disrupting his train of thought was Minny who leapt to his side and excitedly announced, ‘Sunghooooooo! Big Bang is making a comeback!’
Sungho just stared at Minny and then without wasting a second, pushed her face away.
‘Yah, get back to work.’ He scolded. Minny just pouted and walked away.
‘That girl...she knows I don’t care about Big Bang because I’m waiting for Miss A.’ I looked back at him, surprised by his comment. I hadn’t imagined him as being a fan of any idols. He winked at me and promptly returned to the kitchen. I just shook my head and smiled at the absurdity. The people I worked with were such energetic individuals.

~

At the end of the day, Joowon had arrived to help us clean and close up the store as he usually did.
‘Aren’t you going to tell Joowon about Big Bang’s comeback?’ I asked Minny out of curiosity as we were stacking the chairs.
‘Joowon?’ she waved her hands, ‘No, he’s terrible with that sort of stuff. Hallyu related stuff I mean. One time, I was talking about the rumour that Suzy and Lee Minho dating and you know what he said to me?’ I shook my head.
This Minho friend of yours would be pretty lucky to be dating a white girl.’ She imitated Joowon with a hilariously deep voice.
‘Are we talking about Joowon?’ Sungho joined in from behind us. Minny just nodded her head and Sungho chuckled and added ‘Do you remember the time we were talking about Key from SHINee and he thought we were talking about an actual key?’ They both started chuckling away. Minny then placed her hand on my shoulder.
‘Chi, you might even be more knowledgeable than him and that’s saying something.’
‘Don’t you guys want to go home?’ Joowon shouted from behind the counter.Minny psun her head aorund and glared at Joowon.
‘Yes sir.’ Minny mumbled as she rolled her eyes and moved the stack of chairs away.

When we were finished, I gathered my belongings and coincidentally, Joowon was already waiting by the door and opened it for for me. 
‘Shall I walk you home?' Joowon smiled. I wasn't quite sure if he was being serious or not. 
‘You know I literally live down the street.’ I crossed my arms and raised my brow. 
‘I know, I know.' He said and dug his hands in his pockets. 'Just means it'll be a short walk right?' I grinned and tried pushing him back into the store but he resisted. 
‘What's this? You guys are awfully close.’ Hyojin commented as she walked out of the door. 
‘No, he thinks we’re close.’ I said, glancing up at Joowon who jokingly sneered at me. Hyojin just laughed at us.
'Alright Mr Nice Guy, in you go.'  She pulled Joowon's arm forward, kept the door open and and pushed him inside. 
'Take care Chi!' She enthusiastically waved whilst still blocking the door, trapping Joowon inside.

~ Next Day ~

Whilst I was wiping the table clean, I heard the bell ring as the someone opened the door. Turning around, I was ready to greet them with the standard 'Welcome!' and smile but instead I audibly gasped  and my jaws dropped at the sight of the guys casually entering the café. As soon as they saw me, Seungyoun enthusiastically waved at me whilst the others all had the same smug grin on their stupid faces. ‘Welcome!’ I said out loud, power walking to greet them before the others did. I swiftly dodged Sweungyoun's arms as they opened up for a hug and spun him around, pushing him from behind. I directed them to the table closest to the windows at the front, well away from the counter.
‘What are you guys doing here?’ I hissed.

‘Um, getting food?’ Yibo responded sarcastically.
'Well we kind of just came back but you weren't home so...' Sungjoo said. 
‘I thought you guys were returning tomorrow.’

‘We came back a day early because our schedules changed.’ Yixuan shrugged as if it was a usual occurence. 
'Did you miss us that much?’ Wenhan teased with a smirk. I automatically raised my hand up in a fist to punch him but I had to restrain myself. 
‘No, not particularly.’ I nervously glanced at the others who had gathered at the counter closely watching us. I cleared my throat.
‘What can I get for you today?’ I said in a loud overly-fake tone.
‘Do you sell hamburgers here?’ Sungjoo asked to which I just glared at him and shook my head. ‘Sorry, sorry, I had to ask.’
‘I’d like a slice of mud cake please!’ Seungyoun beamed without even look at the menu. Yibo and Wenhan then ordered mud cake as well whilst Sungjoo requested a chocolate milkshake and Yixuan, a caramel sundae. I jotted down their order and rushed over to the counter. Minny suddenly stopped me in my track and tightly squeezed my arm.
‘Hey Chi...’ Minny said, her eyes glued to the guys on the table. She then faced me and excitedly shook my shoulders. ‘Those guys over there…they’re soooo hot! And tall! And oh my god! They look so familiar…’ She bit her finger, deep in thought. I just nervously laughed her excitement off, not at all sure as to how to respond. I looked over my shoulder and saw them keenly watching me and giggling like creeps.  
‘Do you know them?’
‘No!’ I instinctively denied. Minny narrowed her eyes at me in suspicion.
‘I mean, I don’t know them personally. But aren’t they that group UNIQ?’ Smooth Chi, real smooth. Minny’s eyes widened and she averted her eyes over to them again.
‘Oh my god, you’re right! I knew it. I knew it. I knew I have seen them before!’ She grinned, satisfied with herself. ‘Falling in Love! Hold on, hold on, hold on, I have to get my phone.’ Before I could ask her why, she had already disappeared to the staff room where all our lockers were.

As I prepared their order at the counter, I noticed a large crowd was gathering in front of the store. They were mostly girls but there was the occasional guy in the crowd and of course, everyone had their phones out, not so sneakily taking photos and videos of the guys. Seungyoun was busy smiling and waving to the fans outside whilst the others were busy signing autographs for people who were literally lining up at their table inside the café.
‘It’s getting scary in here!’ Minny exclaimed as she went past me. I started feeling anxious over the amount of people hanging around the café.
‘What’s all the commotion about?’ Sungho tiredly asked as he came out the back kitchen. I just took a step back and pointed towards the front of the store. With just one glance, Sungho went back into the kitchen and closed the door without saying a word as if he was saying ‘nope, not dealing with this.’

I attempted to carry over three plates with the mudcakes on them but was blocked by the group of girls gathered around the table.
‘Excuse me!’ I said as loudly but as politely as I could. They didn’t budge an inch. I impatiently smiled and attempted to get their attention again. ‘Excuse-!’ A girl abruptly knocked her elbow onto my side causing me to lose balance and stumble backwards. I was sure I was going to fall to the ground but instead landed into a pair of broad hands catching me by the shoulders. Surprised, I looked directly up to see Joowon warmly smiling at me.
‘Woah, careful there.’ He said. All I could manage was a slight nod as I straighetened up.
‘Alright everyone! I’m going to need you to sit down alright? It’s for your own safety.’ Joowon's voice boomed. Initially, they angrily turned around and looked like they were about to vehemently protest but in an instant, as soon as they saw Joowon, they quietly mumbled and dispersed, with some walking straight out of the door and others returning to their seats. I wasn’t sure whether it was his intimidating height or his devilish smile that had gotten to them. Without even looking at the guys in the eye, I slammed their plates onto their table and walked back to the counter. Occasionally, I glanced over to their table and saw them being themselves...even in public. Wenhan had Seungyoun in a headlock for some reason whilst Sungjoo was shaking Yixuan back and forth and Yibo sat coolly on the side, taking selcas.

When they were pretty much done with their food, Minny went over to their table and asked for a selca with them and they, of course, happily agreed, causing a huge frenzy in the store. When she was done taking the photo, Seungyoun suddenly cried out ‘Why don't we take a photo with all of the staff members?’ He looked directly at me and winked. Oh my god...this kid. 
Hyojin was next to a photo with them. Although she was usually a cool and calm person, Hyojin looked pretty stoked to be taking a photo with them. It was then my turn next to take a photo.
‘Chi, get in.’ Minny hurried me over with the phone ready in her fingers.
‘Ah, it’s okay, I don’t really want to…’ I refused, waving my hands up. Interrupting me was Seungyoun and Yibo who both grabbed my wrists and yanked me into the middle of them at the front with Sungjoo, Wenhan and Yixuan standing behind us. They then squished their cheeks against mine which caused an absolute uproar in the store. Minny's eyebrows knotted in frustration.
'Chi...you could try smiling.' She said loudly. All of a sudden, Sungjoo reaches forward form behind and pulls my left cheek upward and before I could stop him, Miiny had already taken the photo. I’m going to kill them when I get home.
After the commotion died down, Sungjoo came to the counter to the pay and just as I was giving him the change, Sungjoo whispered ‘see you later’ to which I cleared my throat and shouted, ‘THANK YOU, HAVE A GOOD DAY.’ I watched as the crowd in front of the store follow them as they left the vicinity. I let out a huge sigh of relief. 
‘Do you think they live near here? Maybe they’ll be back!’ Minny smiled widely, her eyes sparkling.
‘I sure hope they don’t.’ I muttered.  

~

As soon as work ended, I head home and left my stuff at my place before immediately visiting them.
'CCCHHHIIIII!' Seungyoun leaped at me and gave me a big hug. 'We brought you back lots of snacks.' Do I eat that much around them? 
'Gah, get off me.' I laughed, pushing him off. I could tell Yixuan was already busy stirring something up in the kitchen by the smell of delicious food in the air. 
Their place was an absolute mess. They had dumped their suitcases and bags everywhere and for some reason, clothes were thrown everywhere as well. 
I sat next to Wenhan on the floor of the living room as he was busily unpacking his stuff. 
'Woah, what is all this?' I questioned in awe. There were several decorated bags with letters and presents inside in front of me. 
'Gifts from fans.' He said, leaning over to grab something out of a bag. It turned out to be some sort of chocolate pretzel which he broke in half and fed me one part, eating the other himself.
'It's mostly snacks though.' He said whilst chewing. Out of no where, Seungyoun stuck his face in front of Wenhan's with his mouth wide open, going 'Aaahhhh...'. Instead of feeding him, Wenhan pushed Seungyoun's face away, forcing him to fall to the ground and wiggle around (as he usually does). 
‘Whose suitcase is that!?’ I pointed out, alarmed. The top of it was filled with just snapbacks of different colours and patterns.
‘Yibo’s obviously.' Sungjoo replied as he jumped from behind the couch and proceeded to throw a shirt at my face before joining us on the floor. I angrily threw the shirt back at him.
'This girl... Someone wasn't that happy to see us return today.' He said, narrowing his eyes at me. 
'I was, I was. It was just too unexpected.' I replied. He looked at me, unconvinced.
'So where's this gift you were talking about?' I asked.
'Gift? Oh, I almost forgot. Here.' Sungjoo said confidently, spreading out his arms. I cocked my head to the side.
‘I don’t get it.’
‘The gift was me.’
‘Are you kidding me?' I got ready to lean over and hit him but he quickly got up and escaped, laughing like a maniac. 

~

dazhuzi: come out to the balcony
You: why…
dazhuzi: just come out!
dazhuzi: don’t forget to wear a jacket

I groaned and just walked out onto the balcony, wearing just my shorts and a tshirt. 
'What's up?' I shivered from the cold breeze blowing on my skin and rubbed my arms. 'Quickly, it's cold.' 
‘I told you to wear a jacket...seriously, why are you so stubborn?’ He said with a look of disappointment. I just shrugged.
‘Here, catch.’ He threw a small blue velvet box across our balconies.
‘You guys didn't have to – ’ 
‘The gift...is from me.’ Sungjoo cut me off. He quickly averted his gaze and bit his bottom lip, awkwardly looking away from me. He then scratched his head and cleared his throat, ‘Please don’t tell them.’
'Oh...thanks.' I smiled. 'Can I open it right now or...?' 
‘No, nooooo, no, go inside before you freeze to death.' He shook his head. 'I don't want to be held responsible.’ He said, clearly flustered for some reason. Or perhaps it was embarrassment? I just stood there, looking at him with suspicion but he was eventually able to shoo me inside. I closed the door behind me and leaned against it, playing around with the small box. I opened it and couldn't help but smile widely as I observed the cute gift between my fingers. 


 



Next Chapter Prevew:
I quietly entered their place and realised it was maybe still too early for them to be awake. However, I spotted Sungjoo just sitting on the couch doing something with his headphones on. I sneakily crept behind the couch and then propped myself right next to his head and dangled the cupcakes in front of his face. He was slightly startled at first but his expression relaxed immediately after seeing my cheery face. He carefully took the package into his hands and then slid his headphones down to his neck.



Author's Note: 
So...this chapter came out a lot longer than expected for some reason! Hope you guys don't mind the introduction of the new characters...teehee. I hope you'll come to love them too. I'll be sure to add their character pictures when I can. There'll be heaps more of UNIQ in the next chapter so don't worry! They just had to go to China for a bit! Just in case you were wondering, this story does somewhat go in chronological order (I try my best) so right now, we're in February 2015 and you know what that means.... ٩(╹౪╹๑)۶ I'm pretty happy with where this is going and I hope you guys are too. Thanks for reading as always! ৲( ᵒ ૩ᵕ )৴♡*৹