Music

I Missed You

An evening in the playground, there were voices of little kids. They were running around with a toy plane in the sunset. One of them stopped and asked what I was doing alone. They wanted me to play with them but it was getting late and they had to get home. They held my hand so I'd go with them and pulled. They pulled on both my arms and I stood.

"Reena-chan!"

When I noticed, Ohno-san was in front of me while I was about to fall forward.

"Where are the kids?" I asked surprised.

"Nobody's here. There's no way kids would be here at this time."

"I guess that's true."

"What did you see this time?" He asked exhausted.

"There were kids playing with a toy plane in the sunset. I don't know if they noticed me or a different woman on the swings, but they asked to play. But, it was getting late so I asked them to go home but they wanted me to follow and go with them."

"Was there anything unusual or different about the scenery?"

"Now that I think about it, the buildings weren't as tall and there weren't as much. They were older and there were more greenery."

"You must've seen the past this time. Long ago, there was a kid who'd play with a toy plane here and he'd sometimes be with others to play together." He smiled. "What were you doing here?"

"I was just sitting here on the swing and dozing off. Were these swings here since then?" I asked him interested in his story.

"This playground has been here since before I was born."

"This place must be old then. I wonder if they're going to add or fix anything."

"I don't think so. This playground has been here for over thirty years and it hasn't changed a single bit. It just got older and older and the grass grew and grew at the perimeter as time progressed. This place reminds me of the old times though"

"Sometimes, I wonder why I favor this playground."

I was trying to keep balance with my hand in his and jumped off. We talked as we continued to walk slowly around the perimeter.

"Let's go home now." He said and pulled me away from the park

Home? Which one? His or Kei-niichan's?

He continued to pull me in this dark night. Then, I finally started to recognize the neighborhood. We were getting closer to his house.

He pulled me into his house.

"Ohno-san, I have work tomorrow. I have to get going. I don't have my work stuff with me. I need to manage my own time. If I can't keep track of it and be on time..."

"You need some rest. You need some time on your own."

"But it doesn't have to be here. It can be elsewhere. And besides, you're here. I have you. I don't want to be alone. I want to be with you."

"But you've been surrounding yourself with people almost everyday recently. Just be quiet and listen to me. You need some rest." He held me close.

"I have recording tomorrow. I've finished writing my song. Would you let me go if I sing the song? I'll be away for a while starting the 27th for the music video, so I want you to listen to me." I started singing before he could answer me.

 

--------------------

 

♪Where may you be?

Where am I?

We may be apart,

But why do I feel your warmth?♪

 

--------------------

 

"Why is it so cold up here in Hokkaido?" I whispered to myself, shivering in the cold.

"Yoshimura-san, it's about time."

I stood and took the jacket off into my short sleeved white dress. I entered with a hop and twirled. I covered my ears as I sang the lyrics. I reached out with one arm but pulled myself back with the other. I kept the image of loneliness in mind. The image of losing a dear one, being away from them. The past, present, and future pulling me back and forth. Then I took a good step onto the ground and reached for the stars. The camera looked up and that was the end of the scene.

I took my hoodie and jacket. I covered myself in a layer of blanket in the van.

 

-------------------

 

This is where we'll be staying for the night. We'll be going back south two days from now. Don't stay up late and have a good rest.

I started heading to my given room until someone stopped me.

"Yoshimura-san! Do you have time?"

"I recognized this voice. I turned around to see who it was."

"Suzuki-san, I'm sorry, I'm extremely tired right now. Is it important?"

"I guess it depends on what think about the topic. I know you're tired but can we possibly meet at the rooftop in thirty minutes?"

"Do you happen to know how long it may take?"

"I think it'll take around five minutes at most."

"I guess, if you insist. See you then."

I headed to my room again to put my things down. I took my clothes and went to the hot springs to rest and clean myself. I relaxed in the warmth wrapping me. I thought about Suzuki-san. I thought about what he said and his true intentions.

Just thinking about it wasn't helping me out so I left the place and wore my clothes. I dried my hair and brushed it in front of the mirror.

I wore layers of jackets to meet Suzuki-san at the roof.

"I'm sorry, did you wait?"

"Not at all. I just came two minutes ago."

"That's good. So, what did you call me here for?"

It seemed that Suzuki-san was holding something in his hands behind his back.

"After meeting you for the first time just a few days ago, I felt my heart flutter. My heart flutters each time I meet you. I think I need you in my life. I know it's only been a few days since we met, but will you marry me?" He took the item from behind him.

He was holding out a box and opened it. There was a ring in there, but I didn't know anything about him so I wasn't sure what to do about it. And besides, I already had Ohno-san.

"Suzuki-san, I'm afraid I cannot accept this."

"Why is that?"

"Well, I don't know you well enough. I think I want to start as friends." I answered knowing about the problems he could cause.

"Yoshimura-san, I'll wait for you then. I'll wait until you change your mind."

Hearing those words ached me.

"Suzuki-san, I'm extremely tired." I yawned. "Shall we go now?"

"I think I'll stay here a bit longer. You should get your rest for the day."

 

--------------------

 

I woke up from my good night's sleep. I did my morning routine and was ready for another day of work for my music video. Before work started, I texted Ohno-san and Kei-niichan to keep them updated with my work. I told them about what happened the previous night with Suzuki-san. I just had to wait and see what was to come in the near future.