Being Heard

I Missed You

"Oh, sorry. I got carried away." The other guest sitting next to me told me. "What were the questions? I didn't mean to ignore or not answer any of your questions."

"I asked if you're always like this even when you're on your own or if you're just forcing yourself to act this way around everyone despite what you may be experiencing."

"Of course I'm always like this. What did you think?"

"Why are you lying? If you keep your feelings to yourself, you'll start to think too much about it and overwhelm yourself. There's no way you can stay like that the whole day every single work day. Don't you get told things by the audience? Like, get off the screen?"

"I don't know if you're just cold-hearted or just bullying and making fun of me."

"It's neither. I just don't like how you act. It's not you. You're not acting like yourself."

"How do you know!?"

"It says in your eyes. It says in your actions. You said you wanted to know more about me and why I bloomed late correct? Well, let me tell you. I was born and grew up in America. I attended school in America. I went to college to get my degree in humanistic therapist until June of last year. That's why I know. I'm a therapist. A psychoanalysist."

"Now look at who is lying now."

I showed her my license. Knowing that she wouldn't believe me with just that, I told her different psychology facts and had her search it up to see if it was accurate and precise. I also had her search me up to see what came up about me. I've searched myself enough times to make sure it was up to date. I even asked to have questions asked to me so I could convince her with my answers but we were interrupted by a staff for the shoot.

I simply let out a sigh. I drank some water to calm down and left the room after her.

"Hello, it's very nice to meet you. Let's hope for the best time together." We all greeted each other, the staff and those who were going to be on the show.

We all took our spots and started the shoot as scheduled, starting with the introduction of the guests. The chairperson asked about our knowledge of arts like he usually did. I told him that I've took an art class so I should be able to recognize the things that may be talked about during the show but she didn't seem to know anything. We were complete opposites.

We saw a good number of arts and talked about it. I went deeper into the paintings and sculptures and explained the minor parts usually missed. I somewhat regretted that choice since the chairperson asked me to come to the show regularly.

During the break, I explained to him that I could have a short shoot to explain a not very well-known art more but I needed a note weeks in advance telling me so I had the time to observe it.

I didn't know why I accepted it since I didn't have a manager, I had to write lyrics, sing, and had to have shoots for the music videos.

I need to be able to manage my time more wisely... Well, there won't be any shooting for the drama for quite a while so I will be able to concentrate on my lyrics though... But this is really troublesome if he allows me to do this.

"Oh, about that, you don't have to worry about it." He told me. "I know you're busy enough. I'll ask you when everything seems to have calmed down."

"Are you sure about that."

"Yes, of course."

"It may be weird for me to say this, but thank you."

"It's not weird at all. Good luck with work."

"Yoshimura-san, I have an answer. May we have a talk alone together?" She asked the chairperson with her sweet smile she always had.

"No problem." He walked away.

"I try to be loud and excited when around people but I don't enjoy this. I don't like it. I get extremely tired. It's painful. I get told many things on the internet like, kill yourself and nobody likes you. I usually try not to think about it but it haunts me every night when I'm alone."

"What kind of person are you really? Who are you? Do you really enjoy this work? Or are you forcing yourself? Ask your smile. Are you smiling because you're having fun or are you forcing it? Do what you enjoy doing. If you don't like this world and this work, then maybe you should consider quitting because as far as I know, it's not for you."

"You're right. Thank you."

"Is it okay to make such an important decision so easily?"

"What do you mean?"

I smiled. "You know why I chose this work?"

"Why is that?"

"One is because I made a promise with someone that I'll be a singer. The other is because I wanted to send my voice out there. I wanted someone to hear me. Now, my voice is being heard by people around the world. I wrote my newest single. I put quite a lot of my thought into creating this one song. It wasn't easy, but this song has sold better than the first three songs, written by a songwriter."

"Thank you for your side of the story. I appreciate it."

 

--------------------

 

Ohno-san,

I finally found some time to text you. I hope all is well.

There's so much going on here. My manager-san quit on her own just yesterday.

I still need some time to be accustomed to doing all this on my own.

Hope to meet you soon.

Reena.

 

--------------------

 

As soon as I sent the text, a call came in.

"Hello? How long do you have right now?"

"Ohno-san? I have about five minutes."

"That's enough. At least I got to hear your beautiful voice. So, how is it going? How are you? You seemed surprised when I called you."

"Yeah, I feel like it's been forever since the day started. I'm extremely tired. My work ends around eight today though. I have another hour left. What about you? Same as usual?"

"Yeah... I don't guest and I haven't been acting in drama recently. I go on Music Station when a new single is out but that's about it."

"I wonder why I'm guesting everywhere when I don't do anything though. I find it to be a bit unusual. Don't you think? I don't see singers on television as often as I go on unless they don't release any music anymore but that's a different case." Ohno-san was listening to everything I was telling him, even my complains. "Ohno-san, thank you, always. Thank you for everything."

"What's with this all of a sudden?"

"You always listen to everything I have to say without complaining. No matter what it is, you try to understand me. You give me life. You make me want to meet you right now."

"You want to meet after work then?"

"Really!? Today!? Where?" I got excited at the fact that we could meet.

"You're too excited. You want to meet at that one park we went to after a few days you came back from America? You liked that place didn't you? We'd go there sometimes even before that when you were a little kid. It's not like there's anything fun though but you'd always ask to go."

"I did? I don't remember." I giggled. "I think I've seen that park before but I'm not so sure about it.  I could be wrong though. Who knows? I won't know until I remember."

"Yeah, I remember. You were so cute back then."

"Yeah... And look at me now. I'm not even cute anymore. What is this?" I chuckled.

"What are you saying? You know I don't mean it that way."