Stereotyping

The Inmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 


Okay so if a prisoner hated the typical correctional officer, the latter would either be overjoyed or wouldn't bat an eyelid. Me...? I felt awful, horrible actually. I know it was an accident but come on, if I hadn't been snooping around trying to find out what she was reading about, this wouldn't have happened.

Still very annoyed at myself, I went on my way to Nichkhun's office to see if I could at least do something to put it right and after a firm knock at the door, I entered.


"Tiffany! Hey!" That greeting was a little too excitable for me this morning.

"Hello," I bowed my head in respect before grabbing a seat opposite him and letting out a sigh.

"Why the long face beautiful?" If I could roll my eyes I would have. I was not in the mood for this guy right now but it had to be done.


After seeing his expression, I thought about how it was obvious that I seemed a little down so I put a fake smile on my face. In his eyes, no officer should feel this way, guilty because of a silly thing like breaking an inmate's bloody book and he was completely right. I shouldn't be feeling this way, but I was and I wanted to fix it.


"I'm fine," I replied. "I was just wondering whether an item bought from commissary could be replaced if an officer somehow, I don't know....ruined something?"
He frowned in confusion so to show him what I meant, I lifted up the book cover I had in my hands and let it fall down with a thunk on his desk. 


"Whose was this?" He asked as he picked it up with the tip of his thumb and index finger as if he was picking up the dirtiest thing imaginable. I frowned at that. 

"I don't know her name," I replied. "The one who resides in the last room of the North-East unit?"

"You know it's just a book right Tiff? It doesn't really matter, she can just buy another." Exactly what I thought he'd say.

"I'd prefer replacing it sir, I'll of course pay out of my own money." I went to get up but he stopped me with a hand atop of my own.

"No, no. Let's pull out her file, find out who it is then I'll go and talk to commissary okay?" He smiled, trying to make me feel better. It worked at least and while hoping that this silly little mess would be cleared up soon, I relaxed back in the chair and let out a subtle relieved sigh.  "What time is your next job?" 

"It's uh...an hour and a half away" I replied after checking my watch. Plenty of time to sort this out.

"Perfect." I watched as he went through one of the many filing cabinets in his room which were sorted nicely by the unit in which the inmate lived and then the surname. "Last room...." He mumbled under his breath, talking to himself as he flicked through file upon file until he reached one more or less in the middle. "This her?" He asked, opening it and flashing me her mug-shot. I suppressed a smile and nodded, leaning a little closer to look for her name but before my eyes could adjust he took it away. "Kim"

"Kim...." I gave him the hint to continue the name, my curiosity rearing it's ugly, damaging head again but unfortunately he didn't tell me...or ignored me, one or the other.

"Okay, so I'll ring up commissary and ask if they have anymore of these." He picked up the cover again to take it with him as he walked out of the room.


That file of hers was still on the desk, just staring at me. I wanted to read it, really wanted to read it, I wanted to know her name as well as what she did to end up here, her age and pretty much everything. Why was this particular prisoner making me so ing antsy as well as curious all the time? I had no idea but I'd like to think it'd be the same if it were another prisoner's file here.

To get my mind off of it, I tried to concentrate on something, anything. There was an assortment of empty energy drink cans on his desk that really needed to be thrown away, his work computer as well as his nice macbook were over to the corner of the desk, her file....

Looking over my shoulder and still hearing his voice which told me he was in the middle of a conversation, my hands lifted from my lap of their own accord and rested on the table, just inches away from that file. It would only take a minute just to find out her name, age and what she did. All of that information was in the same section so with tentative arms, I reached out to grab it while listening intently for the slightest noise....which happened soon after in the form of the door opening quietly. My hands were back in my lap in an instant, at least I'd been trained to have quick reflexes.


"I forgot her name didn't I," Nichkhun scoffed, walking back in with the cordless phone to his chest whilst rolling his eyes. I chuckled nervously in response, thank god he didn't see anything. I wasn't sure what would happen if I had been caught. Would I have been fired because surely, those files are confidential unless he shared them with me. But then again I couldn't just ask him what her name, age and the crime she committed was...it'd make me seem too eager and may look like we had something going on which was incredibly ridiculous but, he didn't know that.

I watched as he opened up the file and when he wasn't looking, I shifted in my seat and squinted a little, trying to catch just any small detail but it was no use. It was both funny and completely ridiculous that I was still trying to look even after that near miss I just had with him, curiosity is a sometimes I swear.


"Kim Tae..." He mumbled quietly. What was that last part? I didn't hear...
 I leaned forward in hope he'd say it again but he raised his eye-line and looked at me with a weird expression, one that said 'are you doing what I think you're doing?'

"You like these too?" I asked, pointing at the redbull cans on his desk which were in the same direction as the file, thinking of anything to get me away from suspicion. I wasn't guilty of anything except breaking someone's property but I had to keep telling myself to stop trying to get into more trouble.

He smiled and took the file over to the cabinet again. I fully expected him to slot it back into place amongst the other's...but he didn't. Instead he left it lying on top of them and it stuck out like a sore thumb to inquisitive eyes like mine. "I do, yeah." He replied

There was a slight silence so I tore my eyes away from the file or what he thought was the cans and looked up at him to see he was raising his overly-bushy eyebrows expecting a reply to something "Sorry?" I asked, wondering what he had said.

"I asked if you wanted one." I shook my head to reply. "Are you okay?" He asked with a serious tone. "You seem somewhat distant."

"Oh I'm fine, just lost myself for a second there. Sorry sir."

"It's okay," he smiled and came over, leaving the file behind and went out of his way to reach his hand under the desk to pat my thigh. As I clenched my jaw, I tried to smile but it must have come off looking weird because his own smile dropped and he awkwardly stood up, clearing his throat. "I'll be back in a bit" he said while straightening his tie, walking out the room once more and leaving me with my thoughts.


She's a prisoner...she's nobody to you and she deserves her own privacy. Privacy you've already tried to penetrate through her books, doesn't she deserve her confidentiality regarding her private information?

Well of course she does... Okay I'm going crazy, I'm actually talking to myself now. I closed my eyes, trying to hold in the groan of mixed frustration and from the headache forming from the indecisive right and wrong voices hassling me.

I was t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter