Chapter Three

Sparks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

One week. It took only one week for the teacher to tell Irene she needed tutoring in calculus. Luckily, the top student in calculus was Wendy and she was more than happy to tutor her. The only problem was that Wendy suddenly became an extremely quiet girl.

The two were at the school’s library and there was an awkward silence between them.

“You’re awfully quiet,” Irene said without looking up from her math worksheet.

“Oh, uh yeah, I am.” Wendy managed to mumble.

“You don’t seem very quiet with Joy and Seulgi,” Irene finally looked up and saw Wendy scribbling notes on a music sheet.

“Oh, it’s because they’re my closest friends,” Wendy looked up only to look back down due to locking eyes with Irene and not being able to look her in the eye without being intimidated.

“Your favorite drink is water and you’re awfully shy,” Irene chuckled, “That’s cute,” Irene added.

“Are you always blunt?” Wendy asked finally making proper eye contact.

“Yes, yes I am,” Irene nodded with a smile, “So…” Irene started to ask the question she’s been dying to see all week, “What type of music do you listen to?”

“Oh, um…” Wendy thought if answering this question was a good idea, “Classical,” She did it. Crap.

“Classical?” Irene made sure if she heard right. She heard her hopes go down the drain.

“Yeah… I know, it’s boring,” Wendy sighed. Irene didn’t want to admit to that, but her face must’ve given it away because she saw a bit of disappointment in Wendy’s eyes.

“I listen to dubstep.” Irene said.

“Seriously? That stuff?” Wendy asked.

“It is not ‘stuff’, it is an art,” Irene defended almost instantly.

“How many books do you think are based on classical music and how many books do you think are based on dubstep?” Wendy raised an eyebrow at Irene, with much sass.

“Ugh books. Who reads books?” Irene scrunched her face up at the image of books.

“Millions of people actually,”

“Don’t tell me you’re one of them,”

“And if I am?”

“Then I’m taking you out to watch an action movie,”

“Action movies are boring,”

“How could you say that?”

“I just did,”

“Books are the most boring thing in the world,”

“So are you Joohyun-ah,” Wendy made fun of the slightly taller girl.

“Th-then that m-means I really have to take you out to an action m-movie,” Irene did not expect Wendy to call her by her Korean name.

“Are you asking me out on a date?” Wendy raised an eyebrow.

“Well if that’s what you want it to be Seungwan,”

“It’s Wendy, and then no, it won’t be a date,” Wendy said.

“This is the most I’ve ever heard you talk,” Irene said.

“Yeah, well don’t expect much more, I usually don’t talk that much. You, however, had to go and insult books and get me all riled up,” Wendy said before going back to her music sheet.

Irene only laughed at looked back at the notes Wendy had given her earlier.

 

“Ugh, it’s only the third week since school started and I want to leave already,” Seulgi said as she sat down at her usual seat.

“Do you guys wanna come over after school?” Wendy asked.

“Of course, I haven’t seen Naeun unnie in a while,” Joy smiled. If Irene remembers correctly, Naeun is Wendy’s older sister who just entered university.

“Irene unnie, you should see Wendy’s house. It’s like a hotel,” Seulgi said so enthusiastically that Irene thought the girl was on a sugar rush.

“You can come, right?” Wendy looked at Irene.

“If you come, maybe Wendy unnie might let us watch an action movie. All of Wendy unnie’s movies are based on books,” Joy pouted.  

 “And stop blasting her classical music so loudly,” Seulgi chimed in quickly before taking a drink out of her can of soda.

“Hey now, Chopin’s Nocturne in E Minor is one of the greatest pieces ever,” Wendy glared at them.

“I’ll make sure to blast some dubstep then,” Irene laughed.

“Everyone’s against me,” Wendy rolled her eyes in defeat.

 

Irene sat in class listening to the teacher’s endless lecture, she could tell Seulgi wasn’t enjoying it either because she was already fast asleep on her desk. Wendy, however, was actually interested and taking down many notes. This was history class, just how did Wendy find this stuff interesting? Irene thought about it for a while and then started thinking that for Wendy, this stuff must be normal. Wendy loved water and cla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter