Winter Gate

Cold Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

         Fog was clouding up in a grassy wide meadow one dark night.

         The tall trees around the area are barely visible, and the sky above was covered with profuse clouds. Nonetheless, the bright shining moonlight still reflects down on land, lighting upon the groups that gathered.

         There were a number of human forms standing, but they stand separately, divided in half, each looking at their corresponding pair. Each wearing ferocious glares together with the sound of their bones cracking as they prepare.

         Above the silence, a loud breathing came from another human sitting down between them; her eyes are wide open, her hair scattered in every direction, and her beautiful dress shattered to strips and drenched with her sweat. She ran towards one path to get away from the weird creatures that’s chasing her, however she finds herself in a dead end as there was another of those kind up ahead of her.

         Her body was shaking terribly as immense fear wrapped all over her. She went down on her knees crying - pleading to be spared. She never thought that a random climb to the mountain would lead her to being killed or becoming someone’s meal.

         “Well well well you were rather quick today, Parks” one guy chuckles, brushing his pointy finger tips of his lips. “How soon are you to destroy the party, eh?”

         “Just leave the poor girl alone, Kims. And we’ll leave you be” the other group’s leader responded.

         “Oh you know we can’t do that. She’s our meal” the guy says. “And we’ll take her as long as we want”

          The other shakes his head, taking his hands out of his pockets. “That’s not possible. You have to go through us, first”

         A creepy smile curved on the Kim clan’s side, folding their sleeves up to their elbow. “Well, if that’s what you ask for then what are we waiting for? Let’s begin”

         All of a sudden the calm and serene blow of the wind bustled, and the place was filled currently with grunting noises and hard knocks from each individual. The peace has been completely disturbed. The battle between the great clans has once again began.

         With such intensity in both their bodies and minds, they were going all the way with their attacks. One can see how exhausting their exchanges can be. However, not a single breath was heaved, not even a tiny liquid of blood was spilled, no heart rate accelerated, nothing.

         The human watched the scene before her and she saw the burning fire in their eyes. It is something she has not yet seen before, just how incredible it is to see people jump so high in the air and fight, how big are the rocks they carry so easily to throw at their opponent, and just how they seemed to never get tired.

         They are 4x times more aggressive than a normal person can be, but if they’re not human then… “What are they?”

         It was middle of summer, but as expected of their town, it didn’t seem like it. The skies are cloudy and the weather is quite chilly. The town carries the name itself, Winter Gate; it feels like it’s always Winter and the word Gate, originates from the old generation, they said the town happened to be situated in the middle of two great families’ properties, making the area where the town is now the border. Some believes it’s just folklore but apparently, that was the truth, even today.

         The town is in between two giant mountain boulders, causing the sun to be blocked and not fully hit them with its rays. People are praying that for once this month they see Mr. Sun peek at them and give them warmth.      

         But that rarely happens, and if they really do want to get a Summer feeling, they have to go out of town, and take a 6 hour drive down town Sunny Hills, in the bottom of the mountain to reach the nearest beach.

         “Oh come on, Dari! This is like the millionth time you have declined our invite. It’s just for the weekend” Jessica cries, clinging on to Park San Dari’s arm, while sitting on the school benches by the sports field. “Come on!|

         “Yeah! And you barely eat out with us. We’re starting to feel like you don’t want to hang out with us at all” her other friend, Stefany closed the book she’s reading and pouted at her.

         “No. I’m just not a beach person” Dari defended pulling the sleeves of her cardigan, “I hate how the heat burns my skin”

         “Duh~ Of course you’ll get sun burn if you expose yourself long, and that’s why there’s sunblock in case you don’t want to get dark” the two commented together.

         But getting dark or sunburn wasn’t Dari’s concern at all. And it’s not that because she has sensitive skin that you know of, it’s more of like when she steps out in the sun her skin really burns, literally, and her eyes feels like blinding her.

         She’s a vampire by the way, and the only reason how she can come to school was thanks to the thick clouds gathered above them and the contact lenses that helps dimming the brightness to her eyes.

         And regardless of her difference from humans, she actually likes them, she’s part of the Park clan, the kind ones as the other vampires call them. They respect human life and as weird as it sounds, they believe of the possibility living harmoniously with them. Others say it’s a dumb idea before but look at them now, Winter Gate is in their 106th year and no casualty has ever happened.

          Although, one can’t say there were no attempts ever. Of course there still is, especially from the Kim clan, the vampires who are thirsty of blood and are born and living as active hunters. But thanks to the Lee Council’s order, they’re in a bit under control.

          “Fine. If we really can’t force you to come, then nevermind” Stefany says, dropping her shoulders, turning back to her earlier activity. “Just remember I hate you, okay?”

          “Aishhh… Ottoeke, I’m pretty sure the guys would be disappointed to know you’re not coming, they’ve been wanting to see you in a bikini, you know!” Jessica exclaims, sweeping her hair to one side and playing the tips to her fingers.

         Dari chuckles while she shakes her head. “Oh I’m pretty sure they won’t like what they’ll see”. Admitting how slightly flat her assets are. “There are far more better bodies to die for!”

          “Speaking of the one I’m dying to see the body of!” Jessica exclaims, rising on her seat, brushing her hair beautifully in one side.

         Not only her, even Stefany, and the rest of the female students around. Everyone was gussying up in the sight of a handsome male student about to walk pass by the field.

         Dari sighs and rests her face on her hand, closing her eyes for she doesn’t want to see the girls’ disgusting faces of lust and admiration as the guy pass coldly by them.

         The guy was wearing shades, his blonde hair swept messily towards the left, his hands inside his pockets, and his books trailing down behind him, wrapped in a string that’s tied to his pants.

          “He looks so cool!” they gushes in admiration, their smiles reaching their ears.

         Cool? More like an idiot really. How is having a tail look cool to their eyes? Dara thought.

          Jessica flips her hair once more, fanning her hand to her face. “Why do I need to go to SunnyHill for if the hotness I’m seeking is here?!”

          “I know right!” Stefany seconded her, a tone higher with her usual voice. “If other guys pull of that book pulling, they’ll look dumb and pathetic, but Hero is not, so Holler! I’m truly in love with him” the two giggles pathetically, as if Hero was a celebrity or what to be worshipped and go gaga for.

         “Ugh. Seriously… you two are disgusting, I am embarrassed you’re my friends. I better go now before I totally lose it and smack you two” Dari says, standing up and hangs her bag to her shoulder.

          “You know, you’re the only one in this school who doesn’t have a crush on him” Jessica says. “There’s something wrong with your brain”

        “Yeah it’s full of knowledge, knowing what’s good and not” she hisses. “I mean, I just don’t know what you see on Hero, he’s cold, snobbish and he totally thinks he’s handsome”

         “But he is handsome!” they strongly pointed out in chorus.

          “Well handsome in the outside but deep inside I guarantee you he’s not” Dari says.

          “I’m starting to think he dumped you in the past that’s why you hate him terribly now” Stefany says with a tone of teasing in her voice.

          “Me? Dumped? Me? Liking him? Please… I have no plans of dating cold hearted beasts” she says. Her friends think it was just a sour remark but nope she really meant it. There’s something about Hero that these people don’t know about, in contrast to his name, he really is a cold-hearted beast.

          A threat to mankind.

          Like Dari, he is a vampire too.

      

 

         “Can you tell your friend Jessica to stop sweeping her fingers through her hair?” Hero whispers to Dari’s ear during their Mythology class.

         Even slightly uncomfortable to finding his head leaning over her shoulder, she tries to act normally. “Can’t. She just got her hair done from the salon so she’s addicted on feeling how soft it is” Dari murmurs while drawing random stickmen on her notebook. “So you better just go sit back and control your urge, it won’t take long she’ll be back on hanging it down again. Around one week.”

         “One week? That’s too long…” he says. “Do you know how hard it is? You know what I’m talking about yeah? I don’t know how you manage to endure it”

         “It’s called control and discipline. Something your family obviously doesn’t have”

         “You know you’re right. I don’t have that so, anytime I can just run towards her and---“    

         “Dare bite her, I will cut you, you beast” Dari warned, swiftly pointing her pen at his throat, hiding it under her hair.

         Hero smirks, looking at the gold strands of her wavy locks. “But before you do that, you better clean your own self. You got blood in your hair”

         “Sht… Where?!” The other panics, bringing down the pen and holds onto her hair, searching for the red taint he was pointing. But no matter how she looks for it, she can’t find any.

         “So you did hunt this morning before coming to school? Now who’s more beastly bet

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter