Chapter 9 - We meet again!

Halfway Through

 

The 2nd day for running man filming continued in a swimming pool in Kyunggi-do Suwon World Cup Stadium. The guests Hara and Hee Chul were happily talking with the members of the Home Team, which were Suk Jin, Joong Ki, and Jong Kook. On the other side, everyone was asking Ji Hyo about London. They were ecstatic to hear that she studied and debuted as a model there. Jae Suk teased Haha that she might like Ji Hyo, Gary then admitted that he does, jokingly. Gwang Soo complained about not being included in their conversation. The PD called their attentions and announced the next part of the show.

“Eeeyyyy.” Everyone, except for Ji Hyo and Hara, exclaimed. Most of them are afraid to jump from the tall platform into the 5m deep pool. The mission required each member of the group to jump the platform and each of them will choose the height they prefer. The highest was 10m, followed by 7.5m, 5m, and finally, 3.5m. Then, each team member's recorded height will be added and the team with the highest distance will win the game.

The PDs laughed at the coward men. “We’ll give you 30 minutes break to condition yourselves.” PD Jo said mockingly.

“Oh good, I need fresh air.” Jae Suk said sheepishly.

 

Everyone laughed at his excuse. Everyone started going to the restroom.

Ji Hyo smiled in front of the mirror. The day had been better for her because of the warm welcome from the members of the show. At first, she hesitated to join the program since she isn’t really that of a talker herself. She felt much comfortable when they looked after her during the missions, even if she just met them.

“Unni, I’ll go ahead.” Hara just came out of the bathroom stall and smiled at her.

“Ohh, okay.” She smiled at her and waved a short goodbye.

 

She then washed her face for the last time and exhaled. She tied her hair up and fixed her shirt, getting ready to leave the restroom. When she walked out, she froze in her place when she saw the man she had been avoiding all day. She forgot about him being in the same show for a while, maybe because she’s having fun or it could be, since he had been really quiet and the members made her busy, laughing and talking. She was more shocked when he spoke but her facial expression didn’t change.

“S-Seong Im-ah.”

 

Jong Kook didn’t know where his statement came from but he just missed saying that name. He hadn’t heard nor said that for a really long time. He watched the woman in front of her. Ji Hyo frowned. She looked at her left as if looking for something then shifted to her right and lastly, to her back. She pouted and looked at him, confused. He was going to explain but she suddenly spoke.

“W-who?” She asked. “Were you talking to me?”

“Yeah, I was.” He answered in a soft voice.

“Ehh? Then who’s, what was that? Seo, seongim? Was that it?”

Jong Kook looked at her quizzically. “Yeah, Seong Im. Aren’t you Cheon Seong Im?” He asked since he was confused with what she’s saying.

Ji Hyo curled her lip. “Hmm, no. I’m Ji Hyo. Song-Ji-Hyo.” She said slowly. “You must have mistaken me for someone else.” She smiled at him.

He was shocked. She’s not Seong Im? That can’t be. “B-by chance, did you have amnesia?”

Ji Hyo laughed. She stopped, but she started laughing again. “Pfft.” She tried to talk. “Are you perhaps joking? Of course I didn’t.” She laughed again.

Jong Kook frowned. He thought that she might be mocking him for some reason. “Are you toying with me?” He asked, alittle bit irritated.

“Nope.” She leaned closer and raised her toes to get closer to his ear. His heart pounded faster because of the very close distance between them and he scolded himself for that. He could smell her sweet trail even if she was covered in sweat after all the running. “Do you believe in ghosts?” Her voice became softer, until she finally whispered. “I might be the ghost of the person you’re talking about.” She looked at his eyes and face which darkened in horror.

She let out a small laugh and patted his muscular arm. “Aigoo, it’s okay. I won’t follow you in your sleep.” She giggled. "Jong Kook-ah, Jong Kook ah, I came back to get you." She said in a soft and husky voice and then finally walked away.

Jong Kook's ears which was once crimson from her close distance, is left dumbfounded. He is sure that she's Cheon Seong Im. How can he forget that sweet scent coming from her when she walks in front of him? How can he fail to recognize that smile she makes - that could make his heart jump distinctively - which only those lips of hers can create? Is she trying to mock me?

 

“Ya, Jong Kook-ah, how long will you keep us waiting?” Jae Suk shouted from afar. Ji Hyo just looked at him when he walked in front of her but laughed deep inside celebrating her victory.

 

The shooting ended and since they were in separate groups, the winning team went home earlier than the other. A car stopped in front of Jong Kook and he rode it while still baffled from what happened. His manager looked at him curiously and studied his expression.

“Is there something wrong, hyung?”

Jong Kook looked like he’s in deep thoughts and wasn’t even able to hear what Gap Jin is saying. That’s why Gap Jin drove to the side of the road and stopped the car. Only then, did Jong Kook looked at him and wondered why they stopped.

“Hyung, you look like you’re not okay.”

“W-What? No. I’m fine. What m-makes you say that?” He shifted uncomfortably from his seat.

“You can’t fool me. I’ve known you for years.”

Jong Kook sighed. He didn’t know how to say to him what his problem is, for he, himself, doesn’t know what his problem is.

“I- I don’t know. I just-…did you know?”

“What?”

“That she’s here?”

“Who are we talking about?” Gap Jin looked so clueless.

“Her. She. She’s here.”

“Hyung-“

“Seong Im. Seong Im is here.”

 

Both of them became quiet, they didn’t know what to say.

“I didn’t know hyung.” He tried to start the conversation again.

“Why am I like this? It has been years. I-I don’t know what I'm feeling. Guilt? Sadness? I don’t know anymore. I’m confused.”

 

No one talked on their way home. Jong Kook opened his laptop, which he doesn’t use – since he doesn’t know how. But then, he started typing – which Gap Jin tried to teach him for months – he was shocked to see a lot of pictures of her, in magazines, catalogues and she even has CF’s. He closed the computer and didn’t want to see anything anymore. He jumped on his bed and when he closed his eyes, it didn’t take a lot of time for him to fall into a deep sleep. He is tired, physically, mentally and emotionally.

 

 

On the other side of Seoul, Ji Hyo just got home from a dinner with her team mates. The PD’s also asked if they could see her next week in the show, again. She gladly said yes until she reached her apartment and realized her mistake. Why would you want to work with him? She covered her face with a pillow and shouted on it, until a door opened. Her eyes widened at the sight of the person in front of her.

“Unni, isn’t it too late for you to be shouting?”

“Lizzy-ah.” She ran to her and hugged her tightly.

“Ya, unni, I can’t breathe.” Lizzy answered while pushing her away.

“I missed you so much. Even your oppa missed you. You’re a big girl now.”

“Hey, I’m not a big girl.”

 

Ji Hyo didn’t mind her instead she didn't let her go.

“Enough unni, fine, I missed you too.”

“Jin Hyuk oppa said that you should take care of me while I’m here.” Ji Hyo said to Lizzy, while sitting down on the sofa.

“What are you a baby?” Ji Hyo glared at her. She laughed and then cleared . “By ‘while you’re here’ do you mean that you’re not staying?”

 

Ji Hyo’s face became serious but she immediately smiled again.

“I’m thinking about it. Why, do you want me to stay?”

“Of course not.” They both laughed. “But seriously unni, isn’t it about time that you stay? I mean your place is here.”

“What do you mean by that?”

 

Lizzy uncomfortably shrugged. She’s the only one who knows everything about her, about what happened to her.

“What about you? Are you not going back to London?”

“Maybe.”

“Hey. What about your oppa.”

“I know, I miss him too, but unni, I love it here. I asked oppa to come here too but you know he wouldn’t, that workaholic is not going to leave his job. Just like mom and dad.” Ji hyo sensed sadness in her voice.

“Hey, stop whining. I’m sure he’ll understand and maybe he’ll eventually move here.”

“Yeah, he might, if you stay here. I’m sure he won’t let you out of his sight. So you shouldn’t go back there.”

“Ya. What are you talking about?” Ji Hyo hit her arm.

“Ouch. You’re such a man. You should really be a cast in running man. You’re not a woman you know.”

 

Ji Hyo then remembered. “Hey, you.”

Lizzy covered and looked away from her.

“Ya. Lizzy-ah.”

“What?” She answered without looking.

“How could you?”

“What? What did I do this time?” she faced her acting innocent.

“Stop acting. Why didn’t you tell me that, that-…”

“What?” Lizzy asked teasingly.

“You knew the cast members, didn’t you? You were the one who sent me the invitation."

 

Ji Hyo thought that she got the invitation from running man through Lizzy. Lizzy sent the letter to her but when she received it, the envelope was already torn as if the contents were already read. When she asked Lizzy about it, she said that she just wanted to see what the letter is about and didn’t mention anything about the list of members of the show which should have been there. She just told her through a text message that Jae Suk will be there, enough for her to not bother anymore about the others. She met Yoo Jae Suk before and he had been a really kind oppa to her. As long as I know someone I'll be fine, and it's even Jae Suk oppa. She thought.

Lizzy lacked excuses so she counter-attacked instead. “So what unni? So what if I didn’t send the list to you? Is there, a member that you don’t like to work with?” She was slowly smiling, knowing that she’s winning. “Or, is there a ‘man’ (she said and emphasized ‘han namja’) that you don’t want to see?”

 

Ji Hyo suddenly stood up and chased Lizzy all over the apartment. They threw the pillows at each other and pulled each other’s hair when they have a chance. They laughed nonstop and the room was very noisy even if it was 3’o clock in the morning. When they sat down, they panted and tried to catch their breaths.

“But you know unni?” Lizzy said while trying to stop laughing. “You’re getting older; shouldn’t you be dating or something? Or maybe you’re waiting for someone.”

Ji Hyo hit her with a pillow for the last time and laughed. “Pabo.”

 

 

“What?” Jong Kook’s voice echoed in his apartment. Gap Jin is with him and is telling him about their meeting in running man earlier. “She accepted to be a permanent cast? Why? Isn’t she going back to London? She lives there,right?” Jong Kook is certainly not an actor. He can’t fake his actions and facial expressions. At least it would be nice if they don't  have to talk or bump into each other. But that's just impossible. In most of the missions wherein he is a chaser, he would bump into the sweaty and tired face of Ji Hyo. She’ll beg him to not rip off her nametag but he’ll ignore her and will not think twice and just send her to jail. It would amazing if I won’t see her this time.

Unfortunately he saw her; he knows it’s her, hiding behind the table. He thought that she’ll run away after seeing that he’s there, which could’ve been much easier for him, but she didn’t. She boldly came out of her hiding place, faced him and kneeled, her tactic. Those pleading eyes, pouting lips and sweet voice, he noticed. Sorry. He was about to reach for her nametag but she suddenly hugged his leg. Jong Kook felt his face heat up and it wouldn’t be surprising if he looked like a tomato.

“Oppa, please let me go just this once.”

"H-how am I suppose to l-let you go?" He said stuttering.

"Just close one eye please." Jong Kook met her eyes and quickly glanced away. That's too cute. She should stop.

"I'm really going crazy." He nervously exclaimed.

“Oppaaaaa.”

 

So this is what you’ve been doing in London? I’m glad. You’re a really good actress. He smiled.

“Okay, okay. Go, before anyone comes."

 

Ji Hyo excitedly unlinked her arms from his leg and stood up. She ran for a short distance and faced him again.  She smiled widely and raised her thumbs up. His heart jumped. How could he ignore that face for weeks? He should’ve let her go when he had a chance, to see that image a couple of times, enough for him to memorize every detail of it. Jong Kook then woke up from his thoughts.

“Oppa, jjang.”

Then, she ran away.

“I’ll catch her really quickly later anyways.” He said to the camera nervously while trying not to sound obvious that he’s actually happy to see her and wishes to see her again.

 

After the set, Jong Kook tried to approach her.  I’ll just say hi. He tried to excuse himself. And maybe talk to her too. They never talked off cam. He also noticed that she treats him differently. She approaches and teases them, but when she sees him, she would just smile and then leave. He stopped walking. He realized that he can’t just casually talk to her. Why? Why did we become like this? The memory is very clear to him even if 7 years had passed, but the reason is a blur. Why? What ever happened to us? From afar, he saw her laugh crazily with Joong Ki and Jae Suk. He sighed. She’s happy, don’t bother her.

 

 

Everyone prepared for the next mission. The game is “Raising the Heartbeat”. The casts, which were divided into 2 teams – men vs. women – will have one representative per round and raise each other’s heartbeat. The team who will get the highest rate for each round will lose and the opposing team will merit the point.

“Unni, I bet someone in here will make your heart beat really fast. You should be paired up with him.”

Ji Hyo, who was busy talking to her sunbaes didn’t understand much of what Lizzy said. She’s been a guest for a fairly long time and is a pain in the for Ji Hyo. She would always and pair her with every cute guy in the set she’ll see.

“W-what were you saying?”

“I said Jong Kook oppa will make your heart burst.” Lizzy spoke loudly. Ji Hyo’s eyes widened. She looked around and luckily, everyone’s busy talking to each other.

“Ya. Can’t you lower down your voice? And what nonsense are you saying?”

“Whatever.” Lizzy pouted.

“I’m really going to tell them to stop inviting you here.”

 

After the gags for the first few rounds, the women’s team had one last chance. Lizzy didn’t enjoy Ji Hyo’s turn since she wanted Jong Kook to be paired with her, instead, Haha played the game with her. That’s why even if Jong Kook has the lowest heartbeat rate and may put them in danger of losing, she chose to play with him.

“Oppa’s heart doesn’t seem to be beating.” Lizzy started her attack.

“It’s beating.” Jong Kook smiled sheepishly. On the other hand Ji Hyo’s glaring at the pair. Acting like a cutie, she thought after seeing Jong Kook’s actions towards Lizzy and then smirked.

“Lizzy-ah didn’t you give your number to a lot of people.”

 

Lizzy felt her face heating up. Seeing this, Ji Hyo who didn’t want to lose, immediately went down her seat held Lizzy’s shoulders and tried to help her.

“The time when oppa became a singer, he should have seen many women.”

 

Everyone was shocked with her question; even Ji Hyo herself didn’t know why she asked that. No, I am not interested, it’s for the game.

“It’s not a joke, they even dated.” Haha shouted unknowingly.

 

Ji Hyo shifted her position. She was starting to feel uncomfortable. So what Ji Hyo? So what if they dated? She tried to calm herself.

“Really? Dating? Who?” Ji Hyo asked, not wanting to appear affected.

 

Everyone was ecstatic to hear his answer.

“No, I had a girlfriend.” Jong Kook tried to fill up their excitement.

“Is it a celebrity? An actress?” Ji Hyo immediately inquired. Not thinking of what she’s doing.

“Yes.”

“It’s a girl right, op pa, a pretty girl?”Ji Hyo asked impatiently.

“Ya, Ji Hyo, stop interrupting.” Jae Suk felt the tension and tried to loosen it up. He's not aware of what's between them but he notices the awkward atmosphere when they are together.

 

They just laughed while trapped in the situation.

“The stuff happens before, when people are young.” Jong Kook tried to clear what he thinks he has to clear.

 

While they continue to play the game, Lizzy’s heartbeat rose really fast because she was too excited to see her unni confront the man in front of her, and also because of the idols mentioned.

“I have dated many of Korea’s biggest idols during my time before.” Jong Kook boasted.

“So, who did Jong Kook end up with?” Ji Hyo suddenly interrupted, impatiently listening to their conversation. Just tell us. What are you waiting for?

 

Jong Kook was shocked with her aggressiveness. “Why are you doing this to me?” Jong Kook finally asked her, not just because of their current situation but because of every time that she treats him differently. Ji Hyo still controlled herself and acted as if she’s just playing the game. What others don’t know is that her heart is starting to feel heavy.

 

The filming for the day ended. Ji Hyo immediately went to her dressing room, or more like a van where her clothes for shootings are kept, and sat down.

“Unni.” Lizzy appeared from her car door. She smiled at her and nodded for her to come in. “Sorry, I-I didn’t mean to.” Lizzy noticed awhile ago that Ji Hyo wasn’t having fun anymore, that’s why she decided to talk to her. She’s also aware of Ji Hyo’s habit of drinking when she’s frustrated or hurt.

“No, Lizzy it’s nothing. You should go ahead for today.” Ji Hyo answered weakly. What she had for today was too much for her to handle. She expected those answers. She prepared herself for this time to come but deep inside, she wished it just didn’t happen.

“Unni-.”

“I’ll be okay. Besides, I have a photo shoot after this.”

“Yeah, that’s why you shouldn’t do anything foolish. Promise me that.” Lizzy’s suddenly aware that she shouldn’t have chosen to play the game with Jong Kook in the first place.

“Foolish? Of course I won’t I-.”

“Promise me.”

“Okay, okay I promise.” She smiled at her, appreciating the fact that she’s there for her.

 

Ji Hyo asked the stylist, who was dozing off from her lack of sleep, to start applying her makeup.

“Uhh, the photo shoot won’t start in 4 hours.”

They’re still in the running man’s last location. She wants to have her hair and makeup done, since she’s planning to go to a bar for a while. I’m not going to get drunk, I just need a break. Lizzy will understand. Ji Hyo impatiently looked at her stylist.

“So?”

“I was planning to get a 20 minute-nap. We’ve been running around Seoul for a while now. Just so we could rest and-.”

“Just work. It’s your job.”

 

After a while, she bolted out from her seat when the stylist accidentally spilled the liquid foundation on her outfit.

“What the-.”

“I-I’m sorry let me-.” The petite body of the stylist scrambled through her stuff to look for a cloth. When she was about to wipe the stain away from her dress, Ji Hyo pushed her hand away.

“Get your hands off me. This is a 2000$ dress. What’s gotten into you?”

“I-I’m sorry. I-.”

“Get out.” She said firmly.

“But-.”

“I said get the hell out of here.” She finally shouted. “You’re fired!”

“Wha-? You, you can’t fire me! No one will take you in. You think I like working with you? No one likes to work with you.”

 

Ji Hyo felt her ears bursting in anger. She wanted to slap her face but she can’t move.

“You’re not an actress. Sir Choi’s influence made you reach your place. You can’t fire me because I quit, you witch!” the stylist grabbed her stuff and left the room almost bumping into a well-built man’s body.

Ji Hyo balled her fists, her nails digging into her palms. She stared blankly at the figure of the man who was now in front of her.

 

Jong Kook went out of the building and saw Ji Hyo’s car still parked outside, he walked to its direction hoping that she’s there and she’ll talk to him. For the nth time, he tried talking to her but he couldn't. When he arrived, he saw the stylist accidentally pour the makeup onto her dress and then they started fighting. And now he didn’t realize that he’s already in front of her car door.

He was shocked with her words a while ago but he didn't care. After hearing what that stylist told her, he wants to make sure that she's okay. “A-are you okay?” But instead of a yes or a no, Ji Hyo shot a glare at him.

She snorted. “Wow. So now you’re here. Good, it’s really good to have you here.” She said sarcastically.

“W-What?” Jong Kook stuttered.

“You’re now thinking that my life is so messed up right, and yours is much better, I know it but you don’t have to pity me. You can leave.”

“What? No. I-I just want to help.” Jong Kook is starting to get pissed. He still doesn't understand why she's so mad at him. 

“Help? Really? You think I’m a damsel in distress who always needs a hero to save me?”

“What the hell are you talking about?” He noticed that he’s shouting at her. He breathed deeply. “Look, Seong Im, let’s talk about this.”

“There’s nothing to talk about.” Ji Hyo dashed out of the van. She doesn't want to hear anything from him. She had enough. But before she could go, Jong Kook pulled her back.

“Then why are you here? Why did you come back? Why are you going to stay? Is it for you to get back at me? To punish me for what I did to you years ago? For god's sake, why? Tell me why.”

 

Ji Hyo pulled her wrists back. She took a deep breath, afraid that her tears might fall, and then looked back to him.

“Do you think that this is about you? You still think so greatly about yourself don’t you? Well, newsflash Mr. Kim, you aren’t the only person in the world and the world does not revolve around you." Ji Hyo calmed herself but she couldn't. She doesn't want to talk but every memory of pain she felt and tried to forget is all coming back to her. "And how dare you ask me why? Huh? Weren’t you the one who randomly push people away without giving any explanations? People who didn’t ask for you to let them in your life in the first place, people who needs to know why you made them believe that you’ll be by their side, they trusted you but you pushed them away, now what right do you have to ask me why?”

Jong Kook felt as if he's hit by a big rock on the head. He realized how she must have suffered. He doesn't know exactly the reasons but he is aware that her sufferings are mostly because of him. He doesn't need to explain anything. She'd been hurt. And it really broke his heart, but he doesn't care about himself, he just wants her to be okay again. “Seong Im-ah.” He held her hand, he felt it trembling against his. “I-I’m sorry.” He knows that his words aren't enough for all the pain he brought to her. That's all I ever gave her, pain. But his words were sincere.

“Seong Im." Ji Hyo paused for a while. "Doesn’t need your apology.” Ji Hyo shook his hands off and left, while tears, that she had been holding back, fall from her eyes.

 

As much as he wanted to hug her and protect her, Jong Kook didn't dare follow her anymore. She doesn't need anymore pain from me. I can't risk to see her hurt once again, especially because of me. He felt weak. He took his car and drove off without destination.

 

 

Ji Hyo felt her eyes sting. W-what happened? When she tried to recall everything, she felt her heart getting heavier. "Oh right." 

 

She's inside a bar. She fell asleep but not because of alcohol. In fact, she didn't drink anything. She was just too weak. She was about to leave when her phone suddenly beeped. Her eyes widened and she frowned. How nice. She took her coat and ran outside. She stopped a cab and hurriedly hopped in. 

"St. Vincent's Hospital." She nervously spoke. "And please hurry."

 

 


 

A/N: Just for everyone's information, the first part, in the pool, was inspired by RM's episode 2, name tag ripping from episode 16, and most of the conversations in raising the heartbeat came from episode 24. My imagination matched the episodes and I was glad I get to use them. Hope you enjoyed. Sorry if updates are taking too long ^^.