Chapter 18 - Her trust

Halfway Through

 

Ji Hyo was awakened from her sleep for a check up and after a few minutes, she thanked the nurse who gave her the medicine. When the nurse left, she turned her head to the far right of the room. She found Lizzy who was quietly stirring a cup of what she assumed to be tea. When Lizzy turned around, she smiled to her but the young girl avoided her eyes. Instead, she held the cup tightly and placed it on top of the table beside Ji Hyo's bed. Lizzy was about to go back to the couch opposite the bed but Ji Hyo called out to her.

 
"Is that tea?"
 
"Oh." Lizzy looked back in a shock. "Yeah...uhh...Chamomile tea...I bought the tea bags from the coffee shop downstairs. I heard they're really good and the tea will speed up your recovery."
 
She smiled to her warmly. "Thank you."
 
"Uhh-yeah. It's not a big deal. I also drank one while you were sleeping so..."
 
"I meant, thank you for taking care of me."
 
 
 
Lizzy looked up to her with her eyes wide open as if she's not used to hearing that kind of statement from her.  She immediately got a hold of herself and blinked away the awkwardness for a couple of times before talking again. "I-it's nothing compared to what you did for me."
 
"No. It means a lot to me more than what you think. Thank you...so much."
 
 
Ji Hyo meant every word she said. She's not used to expressing her emotions, but this time was different. She was really grateful to have someone like her. In return, Lizzy just bowed and took that chance to leave their conversation. From there, Ji Hyo confirmed that something wasn't right. 
 
"Lizzy-ah." Her sweet yet tired voice echoed along with the beeping sounds of the hospital equipment. 
 
"N-ne?" She answered as she faced her.
 
"Is there a problem?" 
 
 
 
Ji Hyo had never sounded so motherly like she had when she asked her the question. Lizzy, herself, couldn't contain the thoughts she didn't want to share at the moment. She just wanted Ji Hyo to envelope her in her arms. Even though Lizzy is close with her mother, Ji Hyo had still been dear to her like her own mom, sister and best friend. "I-I'm sorry."
 
"Sorry?"
 
"I-I just....because of me....a lot of people who loves you almost lost you. If I didn't let you go back alone, you wouldn't have fallen off the hill, you shouldn't be here on the hospital bed. You shouldn't have..."
 
"Lizzy, stop it." Ji Hyo said in a calm and serious voice. 
 
"I-I'm sorry. I just..."
 
"Stop." The actress looked at her intently and gestured for her to come closer.
 
 
 
Lizzy slowly walked to Ji Hyo's bed and stopped when she was already a foot away. She kept her head down like a little child. 
 
Ji Hyo took her hand and pressed it lightly. She took a deep breath and started to talk. "Do not ever blame yourself for what happened to me. Where did you even get that thought?"
 
"I was just...I was so scared unni. When we arrived at the lodge and I heard that you weren't there. I didn't know what to think. A lot of bad things kept on coming to my thoughts no matter how much I tried to stop them. I was so scared. You took care of me like your real sister, you're my best friend and even though you're sometimes annoying  and difficult to handle, I still don't want anything bad to happen to you."
 
Her words touched Ji Hyo's heart at the beginning, but when she almost finished  talking, Ji Hyo looked at her doubtfully. "I am not sure if you're complementing me or if you're insulting me."
 
"W-what?" She wondered since she didn't have any intention of fighting with her. They never had serious moments together, but she was sure that she was just expressing what she really feels. 
 
"Annoying? Really? I'm annoying?"
 
Ohh, I guess I really feel that she's annoying. Lizzy smiled. "Yes, you are."
 
Ji Hyo opened her arms for a hug. She then whispered. "You know me, more than anyone else in the world. How can I not forgive you, especially for something you didn't do?"
 
 
 
Lizzy felt relieved. She kept on blaming herself for what happened, but Ji Hyo's hug assured her that it's not her fault. All of her worries disappeared and she was so grateful that Ji Hyo's by her side. 
 
Suddenly, someone knocked on the door. They both looked at each other, then back to the door. When Lizzy was about to stand up to open it, the knob turned and the door opened, revealing their unexpected guest. 
 
"O-oppa." Lizzy stuttered.
 
"Ohh, h-hi. Sorry for barging in." Kim Jong Kook smiled awkwardly while holding a bag of fruits. 
 
"No. It's fine. You can come in." Lizzy approached him and took the bag from him. "Isn't it too early for you to visit?"
 
"Ohh, I-I was on my way to the studio and I realized that I haven't visited Ji Hyo. Since I passed by the hospital, I decided it would be better to visit now."
 
The young lady nodded. "Hmm, okay." Her voice was filled with sarcasm.
 
 
 
Lizzy and Jong Kook looked at Ji Hyo and she just smiled at them brightly as if she's enjoying the show. "But oppa-" Lizzy asked after not being satisfied. "What's with the outfit? Are you trying to scare people?" She pointed at his thick thermal jacket plus bonnet outfit, which made him look like a big and tall stalker-guy. 
 
"This?" Jong Kook looked down at his thick clothes while thinking of what to say. 
 
"Yeah, is that what you wear when you go to the studio?"
 
"No, but..." He looked at Ji Hyo once again as if he's asking for help, but she just curled her lips and shrugged her shoulders. He looked back at Lizzy who was still waiting for his answer with her eyebrows furrowed. "It's cold."
 
Lizzy scoffed a little and then she rolled her eyes. "I'll go and buy some more tea." She turned around, placed the fruits on the table and left the room. 
 
 
 
When Lizzy was finally gone, Jong Kook sighed. He looked at Ji Hyo who was smiling at him. 
 
"You could have saved me." He said as he was walking to her bed. 
 
"I could?" She asked sarcastically. 
 
He nodded and he was finally sitting on her bed.
 
"You can tell her about us." Ji Hyo smiled.
 
If it was a normal atmosphere, he would've smiled back, but something didn't feel right for him. He frowned and reached out his hand to tuck her hair behind her ears. "Is there something wrong?" He asked sincerely. 
 
Ji Hyo shook her head. "It's just the medicine."
 
He looked at her for a while and then he smiled. He didn't want to force her to answer his questions. When Ji Hyo agreed to be his girlfriend, he couldn't express how happy he was. He had long dreamed to be the one who will protect her and grow old with her. Jong Kook didn't know, until the moment when he saw Ji Hyo lying helplessly on the ground, that what he is feeling for her is love. All those butterflies in his stomach when their skin are pressed against each other, his longing to get a glimpse of her face, the reason why her voice sounded like a melody to his ears, and all of the heart racing moments  when she's standing before him, he didn't know that the reason for them is because he loves her. It had been difficult for him to identify what love was since he never knew what that word really meant, but looking at her didn't make the word sound so foreign anymore. She is the woman he loved and will forever love. That's why he swore to himself that he will do everything to not make her cry. He leaned closer to her and kissed her forehead. "Get well soon, okay?" He said while holding her hands. I will make you happy. 
 
 
 
After the short peck on her forehead, Ji Hyo felt her ears burning and she felt all giddy inside. She bit her lip and she can feel sweat trickling down from her neck, despite the cold room. She felt his grin forming and his eyes slowly watching her face. She knew that even though she's trying to hide her smile, her face was showing everything off. It suddenly felt hotter for her and she started to breathe uneasily. Adding to her frustrations, he gave her hand a squeeze as if he's making her look at him, but she had other things to do than that. She needed to control herself from melting and at the same time, she had too stop herself from killing him for teasing her. 
 
"What's wrong?" She just pouted her lips to repress herself from looking. She cannot understand how the man before her could make feel all giddy and anxious at the same time. 
 
"N-nothing."
 
He beamed while looking at his girlfriend acting cutely. "Are you trying to seduce me?"
 
She finally looked at him with a smile on her face. "I am not." She exclaimed with a fist hitting his arm. 
 
"Your palm is sweating, though." He said as he pressed her hand more.
 
Ji Hyo hit him again and tried to take her hand away, but he held onto it tightly. "Oppa." She whined.
 
"I guess Ms. Song Ji Hyo has this cute side on her."
 
"Oppa, let my hand go."
 
Instead of letting her go, he pulled her hand closer to him, making her come along and falling into his hug. "I missed you." He whispered. 
 
 
 
Ji Hyo's heartbeat raced. She doesn't know how red her face must be, but she doesn't want to know either. She's like a teenager during her first date. She buried herself against his chest and didn't dare to reveal her burning cheeks. 
 
"Aren't you going to say something?"
 
It took a while before she finally answered. "Nope." She tried to with her nervous voice just to cover for her embarrassment. 
 
"Ya!" He finally let her go. It was Ji Hyo's turn to laugh. Her nervousness was replaced with satisfaction. "You're not sick anymore."
 
 
 
She smiled while still laughing a little. "Why are you here, oppa? Aren't you busy?"
 
"Why not? My girlfriend is here."
 
"Aigoo. You can just call me. It's going to be a trouble for you if you'll visit me here."
 
"It's not going to be a trouble if you're the one I'm going to see. And I was calling you for quite some time last night and this morning, but apparently your phone is unattended."
 
"Ohh-." She realized that she fell asleep last night. "I'm sorry, oppa. I fell asleep unknowingly because of the medicine."
 
"I know. It's fine. I really wanted to see you personally."
 
"Really, now?" She raised her eyebrows. "But oppa...what's with your outfit? Lizzy's right, you'll scare people with that."
 
He looked down to get a view of his outfit. "Ohh, this? I didn't want to create a ruckus about me visiting you alone so I tried to disguise myself. I guess I look more suspicious." He chuckled while looking back to Ji Hyo. 
 
 
 
Jong Kook stopped laughing while staring at Ji Hyo. She looked blankly at him and he caught her again. He discerned that sadness in her eyes just like a while ago. "Hey." He tried to get her attention. "Are you okay?"
 
"Ohh." She acted energetically. "Yeah. I just realized...that we can't tell anyone about our relationship, right?"
 
Jong Kook noticed that her voice cracked with what she said. He hadn't thought about it. He's supposed to be the one who always has a plan, but having Ji Hyo made him felt assured. His worries disappear when he sees her face. But when he saw her terrified eyes, his heart sank and he became aware of his blitheness. He thought deeply. He knew that their relationship is not going to be easy, but he can't say that, he can't just let that happen. He also knew that she's aware of that, but no matter how strong she tries to appear, she's still fragile. She needed his assurance, that everything's going to be okay. And he will do everything for her to have that. He wants her to not worry so he chose his words carefully. "It's not that we can't tell anyone. We could tell it to the people we meet everyday, since it would be difficult if we keep it from them. But Ji Hyo, you know how we can't let the media know about it, especially when you and I have fans rooting for the love lines we're in. We're not going to hide it forever but it's not the right time to tell them. We just started running man and-."
 
"I understand oppa."
 
"Ji Hyo-ya, I'm just worried about how announcing about us could hurt you and your career. Unless, you want them to know. I'll be happy to accept your decision, whatever it is."
 
"Oppa, I know you're worried about me. I wasn't asking you to tell them either. I'm sorry for making you feel bad." She held his hand. 
 
"I didn't." He smiled.
 
 
 
Suddenly, the door opened.
 
"Omo, you're still here." Lizzy blurted when she saw Jong Kook sitting on Ji Hyo's bed with Ji Hyo's hand holding his. 
 
Jong Kook stood up and placed his hands in his pockets. "Y-you can go in."
 
"I told you, you can tell her." Ji Hyo whispered from behind.
 
Lizzy entered and she awkwardly sat on the couch while looking at the two.
 
Jong Kook knew that they will eventually tell her. So as the man in the relationship, he decided to take the initiative to tell the young and innocent lady, looking up to him in confusion. "I don't think this is the right place to explain this, but..." He took a deep breath. "I am dating your unni."
 
 
 
Lizzy looked at him for a while without changing her expression then she suddenly burst out laughing.
 
"What's wrong?" Jong Kook asked innocently, ironic for he thought that Lizzy was the most oblivious among them and she needed an explanation more than any of them in that room. As it turns out, he is the gullible one. 
 
"O-oppa, you should've seen your face. You looked like you were in a court trial. Your face was priceless."
 
Jong Kook searched for Ji Hyo and urged for her support. Expectedly, she was laughing too. "Sorry, sorry." Lizzy said while holding her stomach. He then turned to Ji Hyo. "Sorry." She bit her lips, holding her laughter. Anyone who would be in his shoes would feel left out, anyone but him. Rather, he was more than happy to watch them.
 
 
 
"But oppa, you looked so nervous. It's not like I'm going to sue you for dating that girl over there. She's already crazy in love with you." Lizzy pointed at Ji Hyo with her lips. 
 
Ji Hyo, on the other hand, was raising her fist. Jong Kook grabbed her balled fist and put it down gently. "Really?" He teased. "Tell me more about it."
 
"Ya! Why are you two ganging up against me?" Ji Hyo whined. "You, Lizzy!"
 
"Unni, we're in a hospital. Don't curse."
 
Ji Hyo pulled her sleeves up, ready to hit Lizzy, but Jong Kook was fast enough to stop the fuming Ji Hyo. "I think I'm going to have fun watching you two, but save it when you're feeling better."
 
"What are you saying?" Ji Hyo replied. 
 
"Just kidding. Should I leave you two now?" He said while fixing the blanket on top of Ji Hyo.
 
"Where are you going?"
 
"I wasn't lying when I said that I was going to the studio."
 
"Ohh, okay, oppa. Take care."
 
"I will." He said with a kiss on Ji Hyo's forehead. "Don't stress yourself."
 
"There's a kid here." Lizzy tried to interrupt them. 
 
 
 
Ji Hyo just gave her a merong and Jong Kook approached her and patted her head. "Take care of her, okay?"
 
"What will I get in return?"
 
"Hmm...I'll give you Shinee's phone numbers."
 
Lizzy's face flushed in embarrassment. "HA-HA. Nice one, oppa." Ji Hyo shouted.
 
"Or...I'll treat you for dinner."
 
Lizzy's face brightened. "Yay!" She cheered while sticking her tongue out to Ji Hyo. 
 
"Don't hurt yourselves." Jong Kook finally said then he opened the door. "I'll see you soon Ji Hyo-ah." He said sweetly and smiled. He's glad that he can trust someone to take care of Ji Hyo. He wished he could stay, but he also knows he can't. He left hesitantly and closed the door. 
 
 
 
The two girls who were left behind looked at each other. Suddenly.....Lizzy squealed.
 
"UWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! Unniii! OMOOOOO!!" She chanted as she jumped around the room.
 
"Lizzy-ah." Ji Hyo called her calmly. The red headed girl didn't seem to hear anything and just kept on jumping around the room. "Lizzy." Ji Hyo said in a louder voice. She was starting to get impatient. Lizzy still danced and jumped while cheering. "Choi Lizzy!!" She finally burst which made Lizzy stop and look at her. She smiled in victory, but frowned when Lizzy walked closer to her with a grin. "What are you looking at?"
 
"Unni! Why didn't you tell me?"
 
Ji Hyo scoffed. "Why would I? I knew you'd go bonkers just like a while ago. Do you know how the people outside might hear you?" 
 
"You're so unfair!" She whined. "But...tell me what happened. Was it yesterday, when you suddenly stormed out to his room?"
 
 
 
"Hah! So you just needed to fall of from a cliff for you to get to your senses. I knew it before, I knew you liked him."
 
"Ya, that's not funny."
 
"Ohh sorry. But unni, did you know how he saved you?"
 
"What are you talking about?"
 
"Well if it weren't for Jong Kook oppa sensing that you were in danger, we could have lost you. The doctor said that a person who was stuck in your case if not found immediately would have..." She hesitated to say the next words. She cleared and smiled. "But my point is, he loves you. So...what's wrong?"
 
"Huh?" Ji Hyo asked in surprise. 
 
"Why were you hesitating unni? I saw it a while ago, how sad your eyes were when you looked at him. I know you love him, you should be happy, so why?"
 
 
 
When the night came, the doctor informed Ji Hyo that she can go home. That's why the next afternoon, she asked Lizzy to call her manager to pick her up. She purposely didn't tell Jong Kook that she's discharged from the hospital when he called last night because she wanted to surprise him. 
 
"Don't get pregnant, unni." Lizzy whispered as Ji Hyo walked down from the car.
 
"Aish! Go!"
 
"Fine, fine! You're too excited." She gave her a merong and closed the door.
 
 
 
Ji Hyo looked at the tall building before her. The sun's rays glistened against the glassed windows. Just like the old times. She thought as she walked inside. After a few minutes, she was in front of the commander's door. She pressed the doorbell and waited excitedly for it to open. All of a sudden, a manly figure came to sight.
 
"Annyeong!" She greeted cheerfully.
 
His face dazed when he saw her. "Ji-Ji Hyo-ah."
 
"You look too shocked to see me." She said in a disappointed voice.
 
The awkward situation was interrupted by another voice inside the room. Ji Hyo's face mirrored shock at the familiar  sound. She felt his hand gripping onto her sleeves and she couldn't think properly. Her knees wobbled, but she took a deep breath to look at his eyes. She let out a small smile.
 
"Oppa, who's there?" The young lady came out. "Unni." She called out with a smile. 
 
"Annyeong. Eun Hye-ah." She uttered confidently. 
 
"It's nice to see you again."
 
"What made you drop by?" Ji Hyo could feel her hands trembling, but she kept her voice firm. When he looked into his eyes a while ago, she knew that she could trust him.
 
"I came here to invite oppa to watch a concert with me. It's actually a private classical music concert which will be hosted by a friend of mine so there wouldn't be too many reporters. After getting hospitalized often, I thought that oppa should take a break."
 
"So he's going? You're right he should go." She swore that if it weren't for her acting prowess, she would've stuttered or worse, she'd collapse. 
 
"I was having a hard time convincing him before you arrived. I could use some help from you unni."
 
"Why didn't you want to go, oppa?" She turned to Jong Kook whose gaze was focused on her.
 
"I have to meet an important person."
 
Ji Hyo felt him emphasize 'important person' while looking at her intently. "Just go, oppa. Eun Hye's right, you need a break. I'm sure that person would understand."
 
"See, even unni thinks that you should tag along."
 
"I-I'll think about it." He uttered in a low tone.
 
"I'll be going then. I just came to give these." Ji Hyo said while handing a bag of chicken s to Jong Kook. "I'll see you around Eun Hye-ah."
 
"See you, unni. If you don't mind I can ask for another seat for you."
 
"Me? Don't bother. I have other things to do and I'm sure Jong Kook oppa would enjoy your company."
 
The young actress smiled. "Okay, let's arrange our own date then, unni."
 
Ji Hyo bit her lips and turned around. She didn't hate him, but it hurts to hear that someone else is going on a date with her boyfriend. She doesn't want to be selfish. She wants him to be able to meet with his friends just like he used to before they became a couple, but Eun Hye wasn't just any other friend.
 
 
 
"I'll send her to the elevator." Jong Kook told Eun Hye and he ran to follow Ji Hyo. "Ji Hyo." She turned to him and she greeted him with a smile. It pained to see her like that. He walked closer to her and he cupped her face. "I won't go." He said as he pressed his forehead against hers. 
 
She removed his hands gently and shook her head. "What are you saying? It's okay. I'm okay. Just go and enjoy, okay?"
 
"How could I?"
 
"You could because you have to. It's just a concert."
 
"You're right. It's just a concert. I won't go."
 
"Oppa."
 
Her voice made his heart melt. He can't go with Eun Hye. Even though there's nothing going on with them, he could feel that her presence hurts Ji Hyo. "Ji Hyo."
 
"Please go. I'd feel guilty if you wouldn't accompany her. I'm pretty sure she put an effort to get the ticket for you."
 
"I could recommend someone else to come."
 
The elevator door opened. Ji Hyo took his hand and pressed it. "I'll be leaving. See you." She walked inside, but Jong Kook blocked the door from closing. 
 
"I will not go with her."
 
Ji Hyo let out a chuckle. "Don't make me threaten you just for you to come."
 
"I'd rather let you do that."
 
"Oppa." Ji Hyo whined and showed off her aegyo.
 
"You know, you're making me not want to come more and just lock you up in here."
 
"Are you being naughty, oppa? Just go, please, for me." She pleaded.
 
He stopped and thought for a while. "Fine. I'll go, but I'll be thinking of you."
 
Ji Hyo's face turned red. He really knows what to say. "Aish. You're stalling the elevator." She pushed his hands away.
 
"Ya, do I not have a reward?"
 
"You might, after the concert." She smiled and waved her hands while the doors were closing. When she can no longer see him, she shrugged her shoulders. "Stupid. You're stupid Song Ji Hyo."
 
 
 
"Unni, you're home early." Lizzy opened the door for Ji Hyo and the actress went straight inside without saying a word. She closed the door and sighed. "Unni, if you're just going to keep everything to yourself-."
 
"Lizzy, I'm fine, really."
 
"Yeah, I believe you." She said as she sat on the couch beside Ji Hyo.
 
"I'm okay. I really am."
 
 
 
It was already midnight when Ji Hyo's phone buzzed on top of her chest. She had been waiting for Jong Kook to call or message her, but she fell asleep while doing so. She sleepily answered the call and put it on her ears. 
 
"Yeoboseyo?"
 
She heard someone laughing on the other line. "I'm sorry if I woke you up."
 
His familiar deep voice made her smile, but it wasn't enough to wake her up. "Hurmm."
 
"We're you sleeping well?"
 
"Yeah, oppa, why are you calling? What time is it?" Ji Hyo asked with her eyes still closed. 
 
"I was just wondering if you saw the beautiful moon tonight."
 
"I'd look at it next time, oppa." She said lazily. 
 
"You're going to regret not seeing this one Ji Hyo-ya. Just come out and look at it."
 
"Okay. Okay."
 
 
 
The line was quiet for a few minutes. "Ji Hyo, wake up!"
 
"Oppa! I'm really sleepy." Ji Hyo said as she shifted her position. 
 
"Just look at it, then I'll let you sleep peacefully."
 
"Fine!" She stood up and opened the curtains from her room. "I can't see anything from here."
 
"Then look from a different place."
 
"Aishh. What's wrong with you?" She walked to the veranda. "There's no moon, oppa. Are you trying to fool me?"
 
"Look down then."
 
Ji Hyo frowned at his ridiculous request, but she followed. She was agape to see a man in front if their house. "Is that you?"
 
"Who?"
 
"Aishh. I'm going down stay there." She ended the call and took her jacket to meet him downstairs. 
 
 
 
"Oppa." She greeted as she saw Jong Kook. 
 
"I'm touched to see that you're very happy to see me."
 
"Of course, I am."
 
He pinched her cheeks and put a cap on her head. "Wanna go for a ride?"
 
Ji Hyo's brows furrowed as he showed her a bicycle with a seat at the back. "On a bike?" She smiled teasingly. 
 
"What?"
 
"This is very old fashioned, oppa, but okay, let's go." Ji Hyo was sure that she's already blushing. Even though it was very cliche, she felt really happy to be doing that with him.
 
 
 
 
"You might want to stick closer so people won't recognize us." He stuttered.
 
Ji Hyo chuckled. She was seating at the back and she's hugging his waist to support herself. She leaned her head to his back and she felt a jolt of electricity in her body. Their bodies connected perfectly as if his was made for her. The wind brushed against her warmed cheeks and his breathing was a melody to her ears. She inhaled his scent as if she's trying to familiarize herself with it. She smiled and let go all of her worries. She cuddled closely to him and whispered. I trust you oppa.
 
 
 
The cold room turned tense with Lizzy's question. Why were you hesitating unni? I saw it a while ago, how sad your eyes were when you looked at him. I know you love him, you should be happy, so why? It echoed in her head and she was left speechless. 
 
"Are you perhaps regretting anything?"
 
"I-I don't. I love him. But I think I'm not the right one for him. I am not the girl she used to know. I'm afraid that I'll just keep on hurting him. There's just too many people out there, better and probably more deserving to have him than me. "
 
"A lot? Or is there a particular person you're worried of?"
 
"Lizzy."
 
"Unni, you know what? You just have to trust oppa. I don't think he's lying when he said he loves you. You're going to hurt each other, you can't avoid that, but don't let it get between the two of you. For years, you both loved each other. Isn't that enough? Haven't you forgiven him? Did you really lose your trust in him?"
 
"No, it's not that. I trust him. I really do. But....It's me, I don't trust." 
 
 
 
 
A/N: Sorry for the late update! I am not yet on vacation and the requirements just came like a storm. Hopefully, it will be over next week. As for this update, I'm not sure if it's short or too cheesy or not fit to your standards or all of the above....and I'm sorry for that. Thank you for reading, subscribing and upvoting. I'm really touched. Especially those who comment, I appreciate your efforts. I hope you'll be patient with me ^^ THANK YOU!!!
 
P.S. I can't think of a creative title right now. I might change it when I get annoyed with it.