Chapter 12 - Going closer

Halfway Through
 
Ji Hyo’s photo shoot ended late at night. She asked her manager to drop her off at the park. There were very few people which made it possible for her to enjoy her time alone. However, the wind was chilly and even her thick clothes couldn't keep her warm enough. She brushed her hands together until she heard her phone ringing.
 
“Ne?”
 
“Unni, I’m sorry. There’s an emergency here in the set and I can’t leave yet. But I’ll try to leave as soon as-.”
 
“No, don't bother, it’s okay Lizzy-ah. I’ll just see you next time. Take care.”
 
 
Right after the end of her work, she called her ‘little sister’ to meet her at the park and accompany her for a while. She misses her and she also needs someone to talk to. During the shoot, she just can't get him off of her mind. She’s a little disappointed that she can’t talk to Lizzy. Even if the young lady is very annoying, she had always supported her. In times like this, Ji Hyo thought that she might have the right things to say, or she could wake her up if in case she's dreaming.
 
Ji Hyo felt the cold wind brush against her face again so she tucked her arms closer to her body. While trying to keep herself warm, she felt someone someone tapping her shoulder. She nervously stood up from her seat, turned around and backed away a little bit. She doesn't have her manager or anyone with her. She was about to run but the man took off the hood of his jacket and she got a glimpse of his face.
 
“Oh-I’m sorry did I surprise you?” His familiar deep voice echoed in her ears. It was too recognizable that her worries instantly disappeared. 
 
Ji Hyo looked at the man and studied his face. She’s sure that she knows him but she hesitated to say his name. She blankly stared at him until she heard him laugh.
 
“Don’t tell me you forgot me already.” The man smiled sweetly. Ji hyo's blank face never failed to make him smile.
 
“Ji-Ji Hoon-ah?” Ji Hyo asked trying to make up for not recognizing him sooner. 
 
Ji Hoon nodded and opened his arms for a hug. “Long time, no see.”
 
Ji Hyo excitedly ran to his embrace and shoved her head against his chest. “Ya! Ji Hoon-ah, I missed you.” She hugged him really tight. She really did miss him. 
 
He patted her back and caressed her hair. “How come you didn’t recognize me?” He teased and sounded as if he were hurt.
 
“Sorry. I knew it was you but...you looked different.” She said as she let go of their hug. She tip-toed and messed his hair. “You even changed your hairstyle."
 
He chuckled. “Eyy, I just got off from the salon.”
 
“What? At this hour?” She looked at him unbelievingly.
 
“I was joking.” He grinned.
 
She punched his arm lightly. “You even know how to kid around now?”
 
 
“How did you find me here?” Ji Hyo asked as they sat on the bench.
 
“Err…I heard you came back to Korea so I tried to look for you. Your manager told me that you might still be here, so I took the chance. I was lucky that you were the one sitting here, I was planning to look at everyone's face just to find you.” He laughed contentedly.
 
But Ji Hyo didn't find it funny. She raised her eyebrows and faced him. “When did you start to bother about me?”
 
“It’s not that.” He replied. “You still owe me something.”
 
Her forehead furrowed. “What do you mean?”
 
"Few years ago, I remember that a girl promised to have lunch with me but...unfortunately that girl suddenly disappeared and I never saw her since then." 
 
 
Ji Hyo began backtracking and she found herself guilty. She was going to admit to her sins and explain but she remembered the reason for her to run away like that. Her mood suddenly changed but she still looked at him gleefully.
 
 
 
Although it was dim and she looks like she's smiling, and even if he hasn't seen her for a really long time, he knows her better. He's aware that something's bothering her. He took her hands and gripped onto them tightly. 
 
"Ouch! Ya! What's your problem?"
 
"It's cold." He grinned.
 
"That doesn't make sense." She pulled her hands, looked away from him and pouted. 
 
Ji Hoon was glad that he was able to divert her thoughts to something else. "So...will you make up for that girl? Let's eat?"
 
Ji Hyo looked at him. She feels bad for not even contacting him. "Your treat?"
 
"Of course."
 
 
 
She happily linked her arms to his until her phone started ringing again. "Oh, just a moment." She let go of his arm and looked at her phone.
 
~Kookie>.<
 
She recalled that while her mind was trailing off during their short break in the studio, she scrolled through her contacts and changed Jong Kook's name to Kookie. He called him that before since he's a grumbling big man but acts like a cute baby despite his muscles bulging throughout his body. The name just matches him very well. She smiled but it faded immediately. What's his problem? She looked at Ji Hoon and excused herself. "Yeoboseyo?"
 
"Where are you?" Jong Kook said weakly.
 
"What's it to you?" She exclaimed.
 
"Please go here." Jong Kook's voice sounded hoarse.
 
Ji Hyo frowned she remembered that he's not feeling well and she promised to take care of him. She looked at Ji Hoon, who was smiling and staring at her. She turned back around and talked to Kookie. "Uhh...are you okay? I kind of have something to do but I'll go there as soon as-." She wasn't able to finish her sentence. 
 
"Please."
 
Ji Hyo suddenly got flustered. The phone call ended and she turned to the man beside him. "Ji Hoon-ah I'm really sorry but I got to go. I promise I'll make it up to you next time."
 
"Oh then-." He didn't have the chance to say 'okay' or 'let me take you there' because she ran while shouting "Sorry!" and then took a cab. 
 
 
 
Ji Hyo rang the doorbell. She waited for a few minutes but there was no response. She rang it again, still the door stayed closed. She thought of twisting the doorknob in annoyance but to her surprise the door was actually open. She felt nervous. Why is it unlocked? She entered the room slowly and peeked inside.
 
"J-Jong Kook-ssi?" Her voice echoed inside the cold apartment. She slowly walked but after a few steps, she took a sudden step back with her hands on her chest and her heart beating rapidly. She almost had a heart attack when she saw someone lying on the sofa. She then realized that it was Jong Kook with blankets all over his body except for his head creeping out. She quietly approached him and kneeled to his level. 
 
She touched his forehead. Her eyes opened widely when he suddenly opened his eyes and his lips smiling to her. She was frozen in place. His smile was too beautiful that she couldn't focus. Her heart beated twice as fast as before and she felt herself heating up. She nervously removed her hand from his head and she tried to NOT look at his face. She fell on the floor not knowing what to say or what to do. She can still feel him smiling at her. That smile...aish why am I like this? Behave Ji Hyo-ya!!
 
 
 
"You're here."
 
His deep, gruff voice shocked her and she felt weird things going on inside her stomach. It is very cold outside that made the room cooler than it should be but she could still feel herself sweating. "Uhh..yeah...I...because...you...uhmm-." She stuttered.
 
He sat up and stared at her. "Are you okay?" He reached his hand to her forehead and as he's doing so, she backed away until she hit her back on the table. He finally placed his hand on her forehead and tried to check her temperature. 
 
Ji Hyo closed her eyes tightly that made her face all wrinkled. She can't stop feeling anxious. She just wanted to stand up and move away from him but her feet won't let her. They're too wobbly and she's afraid that she won't be able to even raise them. When he landed his hand on her head, she felt her face reddened even more, if that was even possible. But of course she's not sick, his hand was even warmer than her. She finally opened her eyes but avoided his gaze and tried to remain calm. She cleared and finally uttered words. "N-Ne. I'm fine."
 
He took his hand back. "You do feel normal, but...your face is so red...are you sure?"
 
Ji Hyo's eyes darted open and she finally got the strength to move away. She stood up and felt that his eyes followed her movement. She went to the other side of the table and awkwardly smiled at him. "Y-yeah I'm sure. Why did you call me?" 
 
This time, Jong Kook was the one left speechless. He wasn't sure what to answer. He hasn't thought up to that. He just wanted her to come. He 'weakly' pouted and looked at her. "I-I'm hungry. Can you cook for me?"
 
Ji Hyo thought that she might have misheard what he said. "What?"
 
Jong Kook didn't answer. She looked at him in disbelief, all of her nervous energy vanished.
 
"You called me all the way here just to cook something for you? Ya, Kim Jong Kook you damaged your head not your hands." She bursted.
 
"You're supposed to take care of me right?" He defended himself but his voice didn't change and sounded as if he's sick. 
 
"Yes! But I'm not your maid. Are you even sick at all? How can I be sure that you're not faking this?"
 
Jong Kook coughed, but she can obviously see through his act. And coughing? Seriously? "It's true. Look." He gave her a piece of paper. 
 
She frowned while reading. It said stuff about the prescribed medicines and treatment for his condition. It even has the doctor's signature. 
 
"You don't look like your sick."
 
"That's because I'm naturally strong. But my head hurts, really." He insisted. 
 
"I thought you said that I don't cook well. I thought you hated it?" She crossed her arms and glared at him. 
 
"Then cook the food you cooked when you were in London."
 
"I don't have the ingredients." She said coldly. 
 
"I shopped for groceries. You can check the fridge." He gleamingly answered. 
 
She walked to the fridge and looked at it. "You're sick yet you still bought groceries?" She tried to make him confess.
 
"I'm strong enough for that."
 
 
 
Ji Hyo can obviously notice that he's faking his sickness. What she didn't understand is why he's doing it and also why she's letting him do it. While cooking, she can hear him moving things in the living room. She shook her head and looked at her watch. It's very late, aish. 
 
"I'm done cooking. I should go home it's almost midnight-." She stopped when she saw a familiar sight. The living room was arranged like they used to do before when staying up late, watching movies. 
 
She would arrive from her work every friday and cook the food while he's buying Americano and green tea from the coffeehouse at the opposite side of the street. He'll also move the sofas and table and fill the floor with blankets and pillows. They'll watch 3-5 movies and will only stop when they notice the sun rising.
 
"What's this?" She acted like she doesn't know. 
 
"Let's watch movies." He smiled widely at her. 
 
She shifted her head uncomfortably. "I can't." She wanted to say dozen of excuses but that's all that came out of . 
 
"The doctor said that I might have insomnia and I can feel that today's one of those times. Can you accompany me?"
 
"I-."
 
"I'll drive you home, I promise. Just one movie."
 
 
 
Jong Kook brought 2 bowls of the food she cooked to the living room and gave her one of them. He sat a little farther from her and played the movie. They were quiet for a while. He slowly moved his head to look at her. She was very focused in watching the movie. Her hair is covering the side of her face but he could imagine what's behind it. He definitely missed her. He doesn't know what's gotten into him. He just wanted to see her, to know what happened to her, to hear her stories just like before.
 
 
 
Ji Hyo just ate the food and watched the movie. Just an hour and a half Ji Hyo. She suddenly got a feeling to look at him but she tried to hold back. Unfortunately, she failed. She slowly turned her head. After a few seconds, she's already facing him. To her surprise, he was also looking at her. She awkwardly smiled to him and then faced back to the television. She can feel herself nervously breathing. After a while of her anxious wait for the movie to end, a cup of coffee appeared in front of her face. She stared at it and then looked at him and back to the cup again.
 
"Americano." 
 
She took the espresso and faced him. "Thank you." She smiled and he saw him get a different cup from his side. Green tea. She guessed.
 
"Are you still feeling awkward when you're with me?"
 
She almost spit out the coffee she's drinking. "Huh? What?...No...I mean a little...but no...not really...why would I be?" She faked another smile. 
 
"I guess you really don't." He grinned.
 
"What are you trying to say?"
 
He just smiled. "This movie is really great you know?"
 
 
 
She sighed. The atmosphere is really tensed, at least for her. The movie was really amazing, in fact she loves it, but she was very tired, even the coffee couldn't keep her awake, maybe she had drunk too much of caffeine before, that it doesn't work for her anymore. She can feel herself dozing off and unknowingly, she travelled to her dreamland with Hyun Bin.
 
Ji Hyo ran to the man's arms. She loved him ever since he debuted. Hyun Bin oppa, saranghae. She hugged him really tight and the man hugged him back as closely as possible. Her head was shoved to his body as she inhaled his scent and made herself familiar with it. She smiled and even cuddled him more. She suddenly felt morning rays shining through her eyelids. 
 
 
 
She frowned and opened her eyes only to find herself clinging to a man's chest. She looked up and her eyes met his.
 
Jong Kook inhaled a familiar scent that he knows he is fond of. He smiled and cuddled the 'thing' next to him. He slowly opened his eyes and checked what's below him.
 
 
 
Ji Hyo immediately pushed herself away and stood up. Jong Kook who was equally shocked released her from his embrace and slowly sat up. She felt very embarrassed that she just wanted the floor to swallow her right there. She wiped her cheeks, if in case she was salivating in her sleep, and then combed her hair with her hands. "I-I'm sorry, I fell asleep. I'll leave. I need to...uhh...go...I...uhh...goodbye." She picked up her things and dashed to the door. She tripped and fell on the floor but she quickly stood back up again.
 
"Are you okay?" He said as he was about to approach her.
 
She stopped him and nodded. "I'm fine, I'm fine." Her hands were raised up as if she's surrendering.
 
"Do you want me to drive you-." He asked as she was reaching for the doorknob.
 
"No!" She didn't want to spend anymore second next to him or else she might burst. "I m-mean. B-bye." She opened to the door and left the building.
 
 
Inside the car, Ji Hyo didn't realize that she's smiling.
 
"Unni, are you okay?" Bo Mi noticed her unusual happy face. 
 
"Yeah, why?"
 
"You look so happy...and oh, you're blushing."
 
Ji Hyo covered her cheeks. "What? I-I am?"
 
She just looked out the window and avoided her gaze. She cursed herself deep inside for all the weird things she had been doing. 
 
 
 
"Ohh, Miss Mong, you're especially beautiful today." Jae Suk greeted her. It's running man's filming and she ran into the older man while on her way to the set.
 
He's wearing a funny costume that made her giggle upon the sight of him. "Who are you supposed to be, oppa?"
 
Jae Suk laughed. "Ya, I know I look weird but wait 'till you see Kim Jong Kook."
 
She stiffened when his name was mentioned. Jae Suk noticed it but Ji Hyo was called for the opening so he wasn't able to ask her about it.
 
 
The running man's concept for the day is Manhwa. They'll be reenacting scenes from popular manhwas from before while wearing costumes to represent their character. Ji Hyo came out with Gary and Haha as the characters of the manhwa, alien baseball team. Her role was Choi Eom Ji, the female lead. The members came out one by one and when everyone seemed to be present already, she secretly anticipated for the last group to come out. After a while of chitchatting and laughing with Joong Ki, Jae Suk, Suk Jin and Jong Kook entered for the opening. The rest of the members were clapping and laughing because of the horrifying image in front of them. Ji Hyo also, can't stop her laughter and was very amused to see Jong Kook wearing a baby costume since he's portraying Heedong, a character from The Little Dinosaur Dooly.
 
After the first part, the shooting was stopped for a short break and they were asked to change their outfits. Jong Kook definitely noticed the very happy Ji Hyo a while ago so he decided to visit her dressing room. He knocked and was asked to come in by the voice inside the room.
 
Ji Hyo looked at her visitor from the mirror and started chuckling again. "W-Why...why are you here?" She calmed herself down.
 
"You're very happy to see me like this huh?"
 
She started laughing again while nodding. "You look so funny."
 
Jong Kook smiled. He started flexing his muscles and pouting his lips. He sang the Dooly song once again and made cute faces in front of her.
 
Ji Hyo almost fell down her chair because of laughing too much. "S-stop it. Y-you're killing m-me."
 
Jong Kook joined her laugh while still flexing his biceps. He was very happy to hear her laughter. 
 
"Unni-." Bo Mi stopped and so did both of them inside the room. 
 
"S-sorry, I-I'll see you later." He blushingly left the room.
 
Ji Hyo lowered her gaze. She faced the mirror and pretended to fix herself and tried to remove the smile on her face.
 
The younger woman approached her while slightly snickering. Ji Hyo sensed her tiny squeaks and cleared . 
 
"Sorry." Bo Mi bowed.
 
"I should change." She said seriously and the other woman took the clothes given by the producers. "It's not what you're thinking." She reached for the outfit and went behind the curtains to change, leaving the younger one smiling.
 
 
The shooting ended and everyone went to their dressing rooms separately. Ji Hyo looked around and saw Gap Jin whispering something to Jong Kook that made his face darken. She watched him leave the room with a frown on her face.
 
"Ji Hyo-ya."
 
"Oh-Gary oppa."
 
"Are you okay?" 
 
She nodded and he then cleared his throat. "Everyone's asking me to treat them to dinner, would you like to come?" He sheepishly asked.
 
Ji Hyo who wasn't listening, was looking at the door, which Jong Kook used a while ago. She's wondering why his face suddenly changed when Gap Jin talked to him. He was fine just this morning.
 
"Ya! Gary-ah what's taking you both so long?"
 
Ji Hyo turned to Jae Suk but her mind is still trailing somewhere else.
 
"How long does it take for you to ask a girl to dinner?" Jae Suk teased.
 
"Eyyy, hyung, it's not like that, everyone's coming." Gary scratched his head.
 
"Ohh so you want us not to come?"
 
"Of course not hyu-." Gary's words were interrupted by Ji Hyo.
 
"I'll go ahead! See you oppa!" She finally decided to follow Jong Kook. She bowed and ran away from the two men.
 
"What's with her?" Jae Suk was left there confused and so was Gary.
 
 
 
Ji Hyo couldn't find the man she's looking for. She slowly walked and peeked inside every room but she still can't find him. She arrived at the rooftop of the building. She looked through the glass window from the stairs and saw no one so she decided to go back down. As she was walking, she heard someone talking. She stopped and listened for a while and she heard it again. She went near the door connecting to the outside and sticked her ears so she could listen closely.
 
"I'm sorry mom, I really am. I-I wish you had a better son. A son that could grant your wishes. A son that's not me...I love you, but this, making music, smiling in front of the cameras, filming shows and making people happy, it makes me happy. I just wish you could see that."
 
"I-I...It's still his birthday. You should come."
 
"You don't need me there. Have fun without me."
 
 
Ji Hyo, who was listening intently, heard footsteps coming closer to the door. She got flustered and was about to run but the door already opened. She met eyes with Jong Kook that made her bow her head soon after.
 
"How long have you been standing there?" His voice was cold that it send shivers down her spine.
 
She looked up to him and her mouth fell open, not knowing what to say.
 
"Ji Hyo? Is that you?" Mrs. Kim said from behind.
 
Ji Hyo quickly turned and smiled to her and Jong Kook left in a gloomy aura.
 
 
Ji Hyo rang the doorbell to Jong Kook's apartment. She's carrying soju and chicken s that she bought after having dinner with Mrs. Kim. After hearing their conversation a while ago, she thought that he might need someone to talk to. She's in charge of him after all. She pressed the button once again and the door opened in reply.
 
"Annyeong." Ji Hyo waved her small hand and smiled.
 
But Jong Kook just looked at her with a straight face. "What are you doing here?"
 
Ji Hyo pouted. "I brought chicken s." She raised the bag and showed it to him.
 
"That's too greasy."
 
"Ya! It's nice to take a break from healthy foods every once in a while." She smiled and tried to enter the room but Jong Kook pushed her back.
 
"Why are you here?"
 
"I'm supposed to take care of you right? Because you're sick?" She walked closer to the door again but he blocked her way.
 
"Leave." He was about to close the door but she held it back.
 
"Eyy, wait wait, come on the chicken will get cold and soggy." She said while supporting the door open.
 
"I don't care. Move!" He tried to close the door again but she persistently stopped him. He got annoyed and let go of the door.
 
She stumbled and almost fell on the floor if not for knees keeping her up. "Ya! Are you crazy?"
 
"I told you to move."
 
Ji Hyo stood up and sighed. "You moody muscle man! Just this morning you were lauhing and dancing your dooly song but now-"
 
"I lied!"
 
Ji Hyo fixed her clothes and looked at him in annoyance. "What?"
 
"I'm not sick, I don't need you around. The doctor said that I'm fine. I lied, okay?"
 
Ji Hyo wasn't shocked to hear him say those words. Duh? I know that. She said to herself. "You don't hurt anywhere?"
 
"Yes! You only need to take care of me until I get better right? Well, I'm fine, you can leave now!" He stared at her intently.
 
She stared back at him.
 
"Ouch! Ya!" Jong Kook jumped around while holding his left leg to his chest.
 
Ji Hyo kicked his legs and entered the apartment not accepting any disagreement from him. "Now that you're in pain, I can go in right?" She started moving things inside the kitchen.
 
 
 
On the other hand, Jong Kook who was still feeling the pain from his leg closed the door and had no choice but to let her in. He hopped with his right leg and stopped when he got to see the woman, whose face was brightly lit by his kitchen lights. She looked extraordinarily beautiful and Jong Kook couldn't help but smile. He shook his head. What should I do with you, Ji Hyo-ya?
 
 

 
A/N: Sorry for the long wait, yet again. I'll do my best everyone! Hope you enjoyed this chapter. I'm doing my best to make it light for our couple after all the angst before. Feel free to comment, vote and subscribe.