Warm Colors

Can You See Me?
Please log in to read the full chapter

The trial shared its date with my next doctor's appointment. Two days before, my mind was spinning with nerves and stress, so I was in the mood for a distracting chain of events.

That morning, Jimin sent me a horrifying text while I sat at the breakfast table alone:

Appa isn't home and Umma wants to say hi to you ^^ come over? <3

I took a few moments to appreciate the heart and the fact that it was coming from my dream boy, but after those few moments my mind was overtaken by the fear of talking to Jimin's mother for the first time since we started dating.

Yeah, but I'm scared ;; was my reply. Hopefully he would understand, though my alphabet skills were still less than impressive.

I returned to my food for only half a minute before his response came. Don't be. She's happy that I'm happy

I grinned down at my phone and hid my smile behind a forearm, as if there was anyone present to make fun of my teeth. Man, was I happy Jimin was happy. It was bizarre how much another human's joy could put a smile on my face. What time? I asked.

Hoseok and Taehyung are here eating my food. Come once I kick them out ^^

After struggling to comprehend the entirety of that sentence, I replied, Let me know and tucked my phone into my pajama pants' pocket.

When Jimin gave me the all clear a few minutes later, I made my way up the stairs to ask Umma for a ride. She sat in the office typing an email on the computer, her midnight dark hair pulled up into a messy ponytail. Appa sat with his face buried in a book beside her, on the armchair.

"Can I have a ride to Jimin's?" I asked, stumbling over the question for some reason. Even though I was sure Umma told Appa all about my relationship with Jimin, he and I never talked about my new life change. Never. 

"Sure," she replied, starting to roll the desk chair back.

"Sit down," Appa told her bluntly, closing his book and getting to his feet. "I'll take you, Kookie."

I gulped, questions rising to my tongue that I was too scared to spit out. "Thanks."

He said nothing as he marched downstairs to get his jacket.

I whirled to face Umma, trying to demonstrate confusion but not fear with a simple eyebrow tweak. "What's this all about?"

She just smiled. "You'll see, baby. Go have fun."

"Mkay." I bent and kissed her cheek. "I'll see you before dinner."

Appa was waiting in the car by the time I pulled my jacket and shoes on and began my trek down the icy stairs. By the time I shut the car door, the radio wasn't on but the heaters were, indicating he probably wanted to talk about something.

"Do you know where he lives?" I asked as we pulled out of the driveway.

"I know the street. You'll recognize the house number, yeah?"

"Yeah." I swallowed and turned to stare out the window, feelings mixing together and unsettling my stomach. He was trying to be accepting, and I was grateful for that, but I felt guilty for causing him discomfort nonetheless.

"I hope you know, Jungkook," Appa began after a short pause. "Your mother and I really like Jimin."

I felt a smile lift the corner of my lips at the surprising sentence. I turned to glance over at the face that resembled mine less than Umma's did but still noticeably, predictably finding him staring seriously out at the street with a blank expression. "Do you?"

He nodded. "She told me the night you told her."

I took a deep breath and nodded, nervously clenching at my knee with my right hand. "How come you didn't talk to me about it?" Did I want to hear his answer? Nooo, but that didn't mean I didn't need to.

"I was surprised and a little disappointed at first. I figured my feelings would pass if I waited, but it didn't...not until you were happy again, that is."

"You mean," I elaborated for myself, "When Jimin was...when he rejected me...you didn't like the situation, but when it got better, you did?"

"Right," he said with an exhausted chuckle, stopping at a stop sign and running his fingers through his short hair. "I had a lot of pent up rage for that kid when he hurt you like he did, Jungkook. That's for sure."

"He didn't--"

"I know, I know. He was feeling the same way I was. Surprised and hoping it would pass." He looked lost in thought for a moment, smiling slightly. "He saved your life. I owe him everything."

I grinned then, shaking my head and leaning my elbow jubilantly on the car door. "I wasn't going to die, Appa."

"You could have. He takes good care of you." He paused, but I could hear the cogs of his brain whirring as he thought of how to phrase something else. "I don't know the kid. I don't even know what he looks like. I want to meet him."

My jaw dropped. "Oh my."

He looked over at me for a second, evaluating my expression. "What? If the kid's gonna be dating my son, I want to at least talk to him."

"He's older than I am, Appa," I pointed out. "Why is he a kid and I'm not?"

"I won't talk to him one on one," he plowed on, ignoring me blatantly and triggering a laugh on my part. "Invite him over for dinner tomorrow night."

"He'll be terrified," I sighed to myself.

"He'll survive. It'lll man him up a little."

I nodded, looking over at Appa judgementally. "A lot of your words are contradicting themselves."

"Whatever." He paused again, though I could once again tell he wasn't done talking. "Look, if you have any questions about dating..."

My entire body tensed as I braced myself for the most heated level of awkwardness.

"Well, I don't have experience with dating men," he forced himself to say as we to Jimin's street, "But I certainly have dating experience. If you have any questions about...anything...whether it's emotional or ual..."

"Oh no," I whispered tragically into the crook of my elbow.

"Yah," Appa barked, looking embarrassed, pissed, and pink-faced. "Don't make me say it."

"Okay," I managed around my cringing facade. "I'll, uh, keep that in mind. This is his house on the left."

Appa pulled into Jimin's driveway. "Have fun, Kookie. Make good choices."

"I will. Thanks."

"Remember to invite him to dinner."

I danced my way across ice up to Jimin's doorstep, ringing the doorbell and rocking back on my heels to bounce up and down and keep my blood flowing. I heard his sock covered feet pad their way across the floor, and then it swung open, and he was there.

I was smiling before I was even in the house. I stood on the entrance mat and stomped my feet a little to remove some snow, though all I wanted to do was fall into his arms. "Hi."

"Hi," Jimin replied, grinning a bit nervously. Cutie pie.

He wore a loose black tank top and slightly stained gray sweatpants, and his hair wasn't styled. "You really just got out of bed, didn't you?" I commented, reaching out and flattening a crazy kink in his mane.

His smile widened as he nodded. "I just wanted to see you."

I leaned forward and easily pressed my cold fingers to his sides, shuffling over so I could rest my cheek against his and kiss the skin below his ear quickly. "I thought your umma wanted to say hi to me."

"She does." He sighed a hot gust of air against the side of my neck, pulling away and taking my hand in his. "Follow me."

He started to walk towards the kitchen, but I yanked him back urgently, taking a moment to admire the adorable shock on his face before capturing his lips with my own.

"Mmm," he mumbled against my kiss, gently placing his strong hands on my sides. He lightly guided me back until our kiss was broken, and I pouted. "Umma first, then you and me time."

I was disappointed but obedient. We walked around a few corners and found his umma seated

Please log in to read the full chapter