Roses are Red, Sometimes

Can You See Me?
Please log in to read the full chapter

1st Half: Yoongi's Point of View

Jungkook's First Day in Building One

I persuaded Umma to let me stay home from school Monday. It was the first time in my high school career of missing a day at school, so it felt weird, but I needed to sleep just a little bit more. So that was what I did: I slept for almost twenty-four hours straight.

The feeling that ate away at me wasn't necessarily anger. I wasn't angry with Hoseok, because technically he didn't do anything wrong. I wasn't angry with Jungkook, because he certainly didn't do anything wrong.

I was confused. Confused at Hoseok for getting in the way of my college girl fun, confused at myself for being so depressed over something that was bound to happen anyways, confused at life for being such a .

Everyone called and texted me multiple times throughout the Monday. I responded patiently to everyone's texts, even Hoseok's, explaining that I felt sleep-deprived and that I would be coming to school the next day. I deliberately chose not to answer anyone's calls; I didn't have the energy to keep up a conversation just yet.

If Jimin were to call me, I would have answered him. Because he was grounded according to Seokjin, Jimin was the only one who didn't. He and I talked for only a few minutes at the party on Saturday, but I could tell both of us felt better from the conversation.

...

"Yah, Park Jimin," I called as I made my way through the crowd with an open beer in my right hand. Jimin was in the corner with Taehyung, both of them holding empty shot glasses, and they both looked mildly shocked at my appearance.

"You came," Jimin observed, turning to face me with a careful smile. "I'll be right back, Tae."

"Bye, hyung," Taehyung sounded bored, his eyes now focused on a tall man eyeing him from the other side of the room.

I led Jimin over to a relatively quiet space near the stairs. A passionately kissing couple scurried away like spooked fish when we invaded their territory, leaving us alone. "What did you want to talk to me about?" I asked, oddly nervous for talking to one of my best friends. 

"Hoseok having a crush on Jungkook, obviously," Jimin said with an uncharacteristically serious expression on his face. "Surprised me as much as it surprised everyone else, including you."

"What do you have to say about it?" I asked impatiently, already feeling uncomfortable with the topic of my feelings for Hoseok. I nervously scanned the crowd for him, relieved to find he wasn't in sight.

"I called Jungkook when I got home today. He said he still likes me, and he doesn't like Hoseok..."

"That doesn't mean Hoseok doesn't like him," I snapped, and Jimin winced like I'd hit him. "Look, I'm not mad at Jungkook. I'm not mad at anyone. I'll just need a little time to get used to this."

"That's the thing, hyung," Jimin pressed, taking my arm and guiding me further into the corner. "Hoseok doesn't like Jungkook. I don't think so, at least. If he does it's very miniscule and will probably pass in a couple of days."

I raised my eyebrows, catching on that Jimin probably knew something I didn't. "What makes you say that?"

"I know what it's like to actually like the kid," Jimin said awkwardly, scratching his ear and refusing to make eye contact with me. Was that a blush I saw on his cheeks? "Hoseok doesn't look at Jungkook the way...I do. And Taehyung talked to Hoseok about it more when you left yesterday, he said Jungkook didn't turn him gay, he's known he was like that for a while."

"You like Jungkook?" I demanded, and he hurriedly shushed me. "You should tell him," I advised.

"I'll tell Jungkook when you forgive Hoseok," Jimin challenged.

"Fine."

"Fine."

...

At the time, it felt like we were both joking. That was probably why I almost had a heart attack when Jungkook called me that evening around eleven.

"Hyung." Jungkook's voice was higher pitched than usual, and he sounded slightly out of breath. "Hyung, I just got home from Jimin's..."

"You broke into his room?" I accused, remembering a text Seokjin had sent me regarding Jimin's situation. "Why? What happened?"

"He...he told me he loves me," Jungkook was practically hyperventilating on the other line, in massive breaths like a dying fish in between his words. "And then I sort of gave him a blow--"

"Whoa, whoa," I interrupted, sitting up very straight in bed. "Jimin told you?"

"Yeah...I've kinda always known how he feels, which is why I never really gave up, but hearing it from him...holy , Yoongi hyung, it was the most beautiful thing in the world."

I grinned at the happiness radiating from the maknae's words. "So...you're taken, huh? Jimin and Jungkook are officially dating?"

He paused at that for a moment. "Well, no, I guess not...he didn't like ask me out or anything..."

I groaned aloud and buried my forehead into one hand. "Agh, Park Jimin."

"Hey! It's not his responsibility to ask me out, we're both men," Jungkook protested. "I've initiated everything else."

"Okay, Jungkookie, whatever you say. Congratulations, maknae."

"Thanks." I could hear the smile in his voice. "You know, yesterday Hoseok came over and told me something."

I cringed at the sound of the name, but curiosity bubbled in my heart nonetheless. "Did he?"

"Yeah," Jungkook said joyfully. "When you come to school tomorrow, you should probably talk to him. Well, I'm home now, so I gotta go! Bye, hyung!"

"Wait, Jungkook--" But the line went dead.

I tossed my phone into my pillow and heaved an exhausted sigh. Stupid Park Jimin, stupid Jeon Jungkook. Did they expect me to forgive Hoseok and listen to what he had to say now?

He would have to get on his knees and beg to break my stubborn barrier. I huffed defiantly to myself before crawling under the covers to sleep some more.

...

At school the next day, I was as jumpy as a fly. My eyes were constantly peeled for any of my friends so I could attack them and interrogate them about what Hoseok said to Jungkook. I was especially keen to look for Jimin, because I needed to know if he was going to go and break the maknae's heart like an , and Jungkook, so I could threaten him into giving me information.

Seokjin was the only one of the six I had classes with, so the hour before lunch I came swooping at him like a predatory bird. "Hyung--"

"Yoongi!" Seokjin yelled, suffocating me with a bear hug before I could get out any more words. "You're alive!"

"Yeah, yeah," I said impatiently, pulling back and plopping into my desk across the aisle from him. "Look, has Jungkook told you anything lately?"

Seokjin nodded pleasantly, looking slightly taken aback. "He gave me very graphic details on last night's blow--"

"Not that! I mean about Hoseok!" I interrupted hastily.

Seokjin raised an eyebrow suggestively. "Hoseok, huh?"

I said nothing, just glared at him expectantly.

"No, Jungkook hasn't said anything about Hoseok lately. I can assure you they don't like each other, though."

I ignored that and turned back to the front of the classroom, clenching my fists anxiously.

...

I felt like a runway model when I walked up to our lunch table.

Five people sat and stared like I was a museum exhibit: Jimin, gaping like he was trying to catch snowflakes; Seokjin, smiling plea

Please log in to read the full chapter