Deux

Saving Kim Hanbin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

 

Mihyun has to push down the shriek that threatens to come out. Hanbin looks like he's ready to beat the living daylight out of her, glaring daggers into Mihyun's eyes. It's one of those times Mihyun is glad she's a girl, because if she's a boy, Mihyun is certain Hanbin will swing a fist to her face the second her juice splashes against his pristine uniform.

 

"— use your ing eyes. Watch where you're going," Hanbin groans, clearly beyond pissed at Mihyun.

 

Fury sparks inside her upon hearing Hanbin's words. Mihyun is not the type of girl to cower down to people like Hanbin, although she has to admit, he is very intimidating with his height towering over Mihyun and eyes as sharp as a blade. Her mother always taught her to stand up for herself, building Mihyun with mistakes and lessons for her to be independent and bold. She dislikes the idea of being the weak, mushy girls that can't defend themselves. The thought of being defenseless while Hanbin insults her irks Mihyun.

 

"Me?" Mihyun scoffs, "You're the one who should watch where you going. Can't you see I was about to drink my juice?"

 

From the corner of her eyes, she catches a glimpse of students turning their heads, curious about what is happening between Hanbin and Mihyun. Soft murmurs make their way into her ears, muting any other sound.

 

She expects Hanbin to get even angrier, but something else glints in Hanbin's eyes. Something that is not anger, something Mihyun couldn't exactly put her finger on.

 

"So you're saying this is my fault?" The mocking tone in Hanbin's voice sends Mihyun's hand to clench, her knuckles turning white. She wants to grab a nearby fork and stabs Hanbin with it.

 

"Of course it is! If I hadn't bumped into you, my juice will be in my stomach, not on your—"

 

Mihyun's words are cut off when Hanbin grabs the bottle of juice from her hand. He turns it upside down when it's placed directly above Mihyun's head, pouring the rest of the content on top of her.

 

Gasps fill the cafeteria as Mihyun feels the cold juice trickling down her face and hair, seeping through her uniform as well as her scalp. Her jaw drops to the floor, utterly perplexed by Hanbin's instant revenge.

 

According to Mihyun, there are a few types of courage. The first one is being able to speak the truth no matter what and to stand up for yourself and the others, the one she has— although she has to admit, she's lacking on the truth-speaking one. The second is the kind of courage celebrities have; being in front of thousands of people and showing themselves to the world. The third is what Mihyun likes to call 'the crazy ones'. They most likely jump out of a plane for skydiving, ride the scariest rollercoaster or even swim with sharks.

 

As brave as Mihyun is, she abhors being in the center of attention, and now it's ten times worse because there's juice running down her face. She feels like the spotlight is not meant for her, choosing to be the person behind the curtain instead. They, including Mihyun herself, judge without knowing anything, whether they realize it or not. What scares her is you'll never know what people think of you.

 

There are times when Mihyun can shrug it off of her shoulders, but there are times when it all become too much for her to handle. For people who say 'words can't hurt you'  haven't feel what it's like to be stabbed from the back.

 

Because Mihyun knows that feeling all too well.

   

"Mark my words," Hanbin's voice snap her back to reality as he leans down dangerously close to Mihyun, "I hate you, Song Mihyun."

 

Hanbin strides off, still grumbling about his wet shirt while Mihyun's feet glues to the ground, frozen in embarrassment. The tip of her ears turn red, eyes darting around the cafeteria in search for Hayi. She can feel the burning stares from every students. Some are whispering, some give her a pitying look.

 

Mrs. Han's scolds earlier is nothing compared to the situation she's in now.

 

"Good lord— what happened?" When she sees Hayi's petite body squeezing through the crowd, Mihyun mentally sighs in relief. "You know what, it can wait. Let's get you dried up." She grabs Mihyun's hand and skips towards the exit, glaring at anyone who stares at them weirdly.

 

Lee Hayi is a god's gift to Mihyun. She's crossed the line of being best friends. Hayi is also Mihyun's second mom, her long lost sister, her therap

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter