CHAPTER 4

Beautiful Disaster

“Chae, I forgot to tell you one more rule by the way.” Dara said as she entered the kitchen. She tossed her backpack onto the table then opened the fridge. I poured milk on my bowl of cereal as I waited for her to close the fridge. She got a bottle of orange juice before closing the fridge then she leaned on the counter beside the fridge.

“Now, don’t get a wrong idea. Okay? Bom made this special rule for your own sake.”

“What is it?”

“Don’t fall for gd.”

I laughed, but Dara had a serious look on her face so I stopped. “I’m not saying that I have plans on falling for him, but why this special rule?”

“Bom thought of it first. It’s just complicated, okay? Just don’t.”

“Relax! I haven’t even had a conversation with him yet.”

"Anyways, what's your first class?" Dara asked me as I took another scoop of my cereal before answering her.

"Math 4.1"

She gasped, "Seriously?"

"What's wrong?"

"But we're only 2nd years!"

I laughed, "I like math"

"Mrs. Genius then!" Dara said with an amazed face.

"Who's Mrs. Genius?" TOP asked as he went inside the kitchen, BOM following behind. Their fingers intertwined with each other.

"She's taking Math 4.1 too" Dara said pointing at me like an upset kid.

"Too?" I asked, confused. After the last spoonful of my cereal, I stood up from my chair and put my bowl in the sink. "You're in the same class as GD's then?" TOP's voice was so deep, the bowl accidentally slipped from my hands.

"GD?"

"Yeah, he's taking Math 4.1 too."

"Are you serious?"

"Is it so hard to believe?" We all faced the couch's way, through the big glassless window, we could see Jiyong, scratching his head and eyes, then he slowly stood up. His blonde hair was still messy from the fiasco last night. His boxers were the only fabric that covered his body. As he approached us, my eyes went on to his tattoos. It looked like art on his white skin. He stopped in front of me and smirked. His body was inches away from mine and I didn't know what to do.

"You smell like a baby e" I blurted out. He really did. All of them except for Jiyong bursted into laughter. He laughed but he put on a smug smile while he did. I don't even know how he did that. "Seriously though, go wash yourself already."

"You broke something."

He said as he left. I watched his back as he walked away, his back muscles flexed as he stretched. He ran upstairs in a blink of an eye. I looked at the sink; the bowl I accidentally dropped has been divided into two by a big crack. "Oh , I’m sorry" I said as I slowly picked up the broken pieces and threw them in the trash.

TOP’s eyes were scanning BOM’s face. "We'll be...ugh... going ahead then" TOP and BOM left, hand in hand. He kissed the top of her head then whispered something that made BOM sigh. I smiled as TOP opened the door for BOM. 'Chivalry exists in this house?' I laugh at that thought.

"What are you laughing about?" Dara said making my thoughts stop for a moment.

"Nothing, do you have a 7:30 class?"

Dara shook her head, "My first class is at 9AM, why?"

“Why are you up so early?”

"Someone has to open the door for TOP, I don’t think BOM’s gonna wake up just to open a door."

"Doesn’t he have a key?”

She shook her head, “Only the members of the dorm can have keys.”

“Wait” I paused, “TOP doesn’t live here?”

She shook her head yet again.

“But why not? I thought he was a member because he went with you to the airport last time.”

She was silent for a second, but then smiled. “He moved out 2 years ago.”

I bobbed my head, I let it pass since Dara made it clear that she didn’t want to continue with the conversation when she put her earphones in her ears already.

"I guess I’ll be going alone then." I mumbled to myself.

"You can come with me!" Seungri shouted, running down the stairs. His backpack almost fell from his shoulder as he stopped by the last step. "You can ride shotgun!"

"You have a 7:30 class?"

He nodded and smiled. "Come on, hurry up!" He exclaimed as he ran towards the door. I ran to follow behind. "Ride with me" we heard a voice as Seungri opened the door. We turned our heads to see Jiyong walking down the stairs. He cleaned up fast. He wore red pants and a white shirt, his blonde hair made his face glow and I can’t help but smile at his charm. "But hyung!" Seungri protested as Jiyong walked past us. We followed behind then Seungri slammed the door as he sighed. Jiyong got on a black Harley then patted the space behind him.

"I don't do motorcycles even if it's a Harley, sorry. I think I’ll ride with Seungri instead" I turned around to check if Seungri already left. Luckily, he just got in. "Seungri! I'll ride with you" he managed to hear despite Jiyong's motor's noise as it left. Seungri smiled like a little kid. I ran to the side of the car and hurriedly got in.

"Why not ride with hyung?" Seungri asked as he started the engine. His question wasn't because he felt the glory that I chose him over Jiyong, I know that because his voice screamed utter confusion. "Most girls would die to ride on hyung's motor"

"Really?"

He nodded, "He doesn't let anyone touch it, let alone ride on it."

"Even you guys?"

He shook his head. As the car started to move, my curiosity hit again. “Hey, can I ask you something?” I asked as I turned to face him. He nodded without looking at me. I sighed, hesitating if I should ask about it. After a few seconds of silence, Seungri spoke up, “Well?”

“Why did TOP move out?”

He chuckled, “why’d you ask that?”

I shook my head, “I just wondered.”

“Actually, I really don’t know. They didn’t tell me why specifically.”

“They didn’t tell you?”  

"Hyung said it’s complicated"

I laughed, "OR maybe because you're still young."

"I'm the same age as you!"

My eyes widened, "Really?"

"I'm older by months, I think? When's your birthday?"

"December 12"

"Are you serious?" He looked at me, surprised.

I nodded, "Eyes on the road!"

"We have the same birthday!" He cheered on.

"Really? I have to change my birthday then." I stuck my tongue at Seungri and he just rolled his eyes. In my surprise, he already stopped the car. I looked at my side, we're already here. I looked out the window and Jiyong's motor was parked just beside us.

"Do you know where your room is?" He asked as he jogged around the car to get to my side. I closed the car door as I shook my head. I think he was supposed to open the door for me because when he saw me already outside of the car, he pouted. 'Chivalry does exist' I said to myself.

"Since you're a YGD member, I’ll walk you to class" he grinned.

As we enter a building, I noticed the eyes around us. Seungri walked, I guess normally, despite all the eyes on him. As we pass by groups of girls, they flip their hair hoping that Seungri would notice them. Although they smiled like an angel at Seungri, they shot me dirty looks. But it was a different scenario with groups of guys. They wouldn't look at Seungri but they stayed at the sides of the hallway.

"Here you are!" Seungri said, a bit louder than how he should have, with his left arm stretched to point at the door. I smiled at him as I entered the room. I took the empty seat at the most back.

"Chaerin! Good luck on your first day!" Seungri shouted, from the door. I laughed a bit, but I was shocked because I thought he already left. Everyone's eyes shot on me. I awkwardly smiled at him until he left the door. I sighed in relief, covering my face with my hands.

"You gotta forgive maknae, sometimes. He's just too loud"

I turned to my side, it's Jiyong. His cheek flat on the desk, eyes closed. A blue cap lay idle on his desk. His right arm was dangling while his left rested on his lap. He looked too tall to be sitting on that chair. My eyes went straight to his forearm. I looked closely before I finally spoke up.

"Vita dolce moderato?"

"what?" His eyes slowly opened then he yawned.

I pointed to his forearm, "your tattoo"

He looked at his forearms and laughed once. "What about it?" He asked as he turned his body to face me. He cupped his face with his hands, his elbows on his lap and just looked at me. His eyes were the proof of the sleepless night he had, although he didn't really have dark circles.

"Just noticed it" I managed to say as I turned away from him and faced front. He laughed as he stretched out his arms and legs. Just after a few seconds, an old guy, our math teacher, I suppose, entered the room. I sighed in relief, assuming that my conversation with Jiyong has ended.

The teacher continued on in discussing a lesson I already know, so I didn't find the need to listen to him anymore. Instead, I just played with the ring I had on my middle finger. I heard a tiny snore that made me turn, it came from Jiyong. He's sleeping again, I caught the teacher's eye noticing Jiyong, but he didn't reprimand him. He didn't say anything. He must be used to it already. Jiyong's blonde hair was all over the place. But still, it looked good on him. He looks so peaceful when he's asleep.

"Okay, pick a partner!" The teacher said loudly, not really shouting, then sat on his chair. "Do pages 13-21" he said, scanning through the pages.

I heard some girls giggle then when I turned, almost all of the girls from the class stood by Jiyong's right side. I got annoyed with their behaviour around him. I decided to do it by myself so I shrugged and got my book and a piece of paper from my bag. As I was opening my book, I heard gasps from around the room. I looked to my right, my suspicion was right, it is because of Jiyong. He sat up, put on his blue cap, then put his left hand on the edge of my table. My eyes widened as he pushed his table next to mine then dragged his chair, with him still on it, with his other hand.

"Sorry ladies, I’m taken." he said as he put his left arm on my shoulder and squeezed me to his side. I heard disappointed murmurs and felt their eyes on me, glaring. As they left, Jiyong turned to me. "Shall we start, psycho?"

I shake off Jiyong's arm, "I think I’m gonna fly solo here."

He yawned, "Come on, you're gonna do all that by yourself? Don't leave me hanging."

I scoffed, "There are so many who'd kill to be your partner, go on with them."

"That's my point, Chae. So many would kill to be my partner, but you look like you wanna kill me."

"Not really kill..." I mumbled, feeling guilty of my rude behaviour towards him.

"So are you a man-hater in general? Or am I just special?" He joked as he opened my book on the assigned pages. He started writing something on the paper, he stopped then looked at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"You didn't answer my question." He faced the paper again then continued writing.

"I'm not a man-hater."

"So you just hate me?"

"Not really, you’re just the first manwhore I’ve met.”

He remained unfazed, "so you don't hate me?"

"Well...." I paused.

He chuckled, "So we can't be friends?"

"We can.... but don't expect afterwards."

He laughed, "I won't unless you want me to." He grinned then winked at me.

"Stop that!" I hissed.

"Stop what?" He asked, still with a huge grin on his face.

"Never mind." I said, trying to avoid explaining. I didn't want to tell him how his winks are annoying and charming at the same time. He's cute, but I just don't want to fall for his infamous charm. He let it go then turned back to the paper.

 I peeked over at what he's writing. "You already started answering?" I asked as I poked his left shoulder with my finger.

He nodded.

"Aren't you gonna let me help?"

He shook his head, "I don't need help."

"Then what am I here for?" I asked, annoyed on what he just said.

"Inspiration." He said, as he grinned at me then stood up. He approached the teacher with a smile on his face. The teacher nodded as he handed him the paper. Jiyong asked something to him, making him nod once again. Jiyong turned around, facing my direction.

'Come on' he mouthed.

'Aren't we gonna do the activity?' I mouthed back.

'I just passed it, now hurry up' he mouthed before walking to the door. I was confused, but I did what I was told to. I put my book back in my bag, stood up, then walked towards Jiyong who was waiting by the door.

"You finished it?" I whispered.

He nodded, "Come on." He pulled my arm while fast-walking through the hallway. With his long legs, it wasn't really a piece of cake for me to catch up with him. I was just trying my best not to stumble and fall on the ground. I evened out my puffs of air to avoid an unexpected asthma attack. We finally stopped when we reached the parking lot.

"You alright?" He asked as he pulled out a cigarette from his jean pocket then put it in between his lips.

I exhaled, "I have asthma, remember."

He lit on his cigarette, "Oh, sorry. You need cpr?" 

I glared at him. "Why did you have to drag me down here, anyway?"

"We don't have class for the next 30 minutes." He said, grinning at me.

"That doesn't mean I have to come with you though." I said, glaring at him.

"Why are you so mad? I just got us a high grade five minutes ago!"

I sighed, "whatever." I distanced myself away from him to avoid inhaling the smoke he's puffing out. He looked at me strangely at first but I think he got the message when I mouthed 'asthma'

'Inspiration' his voice repeated in my mind. I wonder how he could do that. He made my heart flutter and he did it with a blink of an eye. With just one word, I found myself smiling, trying not to, but failed anyways. I tried not to stare at him while he smoke, but it wasn't possible. He looked like the typical badass college boy, but he looked like an angel at the same time. The colour of his hair makes his face glow. His white skin emphasizes his pink lips and his tattoos. Even the way he puffs out smoke looks hot.

"So I meant to ask you something this morning" he said, making me snap out of my thoughts.

"What?" I asked. He threw his cigarette on the ground and stepped on it.

"You know about motorcycles?"

I looked at the ground, even though my answer is yes, I shook my head. I raised my head to look at him. His face seemed confused, "Really?" he asked.

I nodded.

He seemed disappointed, "I thought you did cause you seemed to recognize mine this morning."

"I just knew what that was." I said. I tried hard to think of something to change the subject but nothing came to my mind.

"Good, cause I’d like to marry you if you did."

Fortunately, I was literally saved by the bell. Before Jiyong and I separated ways to attend our classes, he kissed my cheek goodbye. And again, before I could react, he was out of my reach. The day went by normally. Constant smiles from the people I pass by made it easier for me to end the day with a good mood. And since I have the same last class with Seungri, we rode home together.