CHAPTER 2

Beautiful Disaster

Everything in that place screamed for me to get out. I could feel the floor shaking with all the people jumping up and down. Voices blurred as they yelled number and names back and forth. I squeezed through the crowd, following the faces I’m familiar with.

"Someone hold onto Chae, she might get lost!" I heard Dara shout.

Then a hand grabbed mine in a matter of seconds. I followed the arm to his face, Jiyong. But he didn't look back at me. We pushed through the crowd, being elbowed a millions of times. He pulled me to his side when we reached an air conditioned booth. We ran inside to escape the sea of people. My heart pounded in my chest.

"What's up with you Chae?" Dara asked, laughing.

I didn't notice I was out of breath. "have..... asthma...." I managed to say in between my puffs of air. I sat down on the bench beside me and calmed myself down. My eyes stayed at the white laces of my plain black sneakers, it had mud and dirt all over it. As I evened out my breath, I took off my leather jacket. My sunglasses dangle from my fingertips as I removed them. I looked at them; they weren't as worn out as me. They seem to have gotten used to it already.

"Are ya'll ready" a guy said, coming in. What he said was a question, but he wasn't really asking it, based on the way he spoke.

"Tablo hyung, this is Lee Chaerin, she's from Japan." Seungri said. I smiled at the Tablo guy, but he didn't look so happy to see me.

"Lee Chaerin?" Tablo said, his voice suddenly got deep. I nodded. He sighed heavily. "I don't want dead weight" He said as he pointed at me. My eyes widened, what did I do. He left the room with a slam of the door.

"Nice meeting you too" I mumbled to myself.

Everyone bursted into laughter. "Don't mind him, he'll be nice to you eventually." Dara reassured me.

"What was that all about?" I gestured to the door where we came in, confused of the chaos behind it.

"That's where we fight" Jiyong answered as he took off his shirt.

"Just stay here. Minzy will accompany you while we're gone." Dara said as she smiled me a reassuring smile. She must've thought that I was worrying on being left alone here. And she was right.

"Minzy won't come with you guys?"

Dara shook her head as she waved at me and opened the door. She went out and the other 3 followed behind her. The noise from outside invaded the room but was cut when the door closed. Minzy sat on the floor in front of me and smiled.

I smiled, "Can I ask you something?"

She nodded her head.

"What does Jiyong oppa mean by 'fight'?" I made an imaginary quotation as I said the word fight.

"Well, they fight each other. Didn't Dara unnie tell you?"

I shook my head.

"Guys from different universities fight each other every saturday night here. It's like wrestling plus boxing, if you ask me. And the chaos outside are the people betting for and against the fighters."

"So Jiyong oppa's will get beat up tonight?" I joked, but Minzy remained unfazed.

She shook her head, "He will be beating up someone's tonight. Oppa's good."

"But he's not even that buff!" I exclaimed.

Minzy laughed, "Oh, unnie. No wonder he likes you. Jiyong oppa's fast, that's why he really doesn't lose."

Who likes me?

I chuckled awkwardly. "If he fights, then what do the others do?"

"Jiyong oppa, TOP oppa and Taeyang oppa fight. While the rest of us, we help with spreading the news of the fight. An hour before the fight, we text people who knows about 'this'" she made imaginary quotations as she said the last word. "It's our job to bring in more people. Because just like what Tablo oppa says and I quote 'More people means more money'. But only 3 people can come with the fighter, that's why I didn't come with them tonight."

I bobbed my head as I listen to her. She exhaled as of she've lost her breath. "Enough about us, unnie. What about you? Tell me more about you."

"Well, I'm from Tokyo." I smiled awkwardly. I'm not widely keen on people asking me information about myself, but I knew that I won't get away from it.

She bobbed her head, "Then why did you move to Korea?"

"Just to..... move away. I guess?" I tried hard not to sound weird with my answer.

"Away from your mom?" she tilted her head, confusion washed over her face.

I shook my head, "I just had to move away from the place itself. That's all." With the look on her face, I sensed that wasn't satisfied with my answer yet. So I continued, "And besides, I like to travel. I've never stayed in a place for more than 3 years." Half true, half lie. I've been to many places not because I loved to but because I had to.

"That's so cool!" Minzy exclaimed. "So you've stayed in different countries?"

I nodded "America, France and Japan."

"Then you just moved from one place to another in one country?"

"Well yeah"

I changed the subject quickly, asking her about her classes. The conversation went to my class schedule and to hers and so on. And I found out that Daesung is in fact her cousin. Minzy was in a middle of a story when the door flew open. Dara and BOM came running in, their hands full of cash. Bom's tube dress was also full of cash on her cleavage part. Jiyong and Seungri followed behind them, counting money in their hands. Tablo, with a serious expression on his face, came in last. He leaned on the edge of the table that was at the centre of the room. Dara, BOM, Seungri and Jiyong then formed a line facing Tablo. They gave him a part of their earnings, one after the other. Tablo looked satisfied with the cash in his hands, a smug smile on his face. Then his face got serious again, his eyes darted on me. Everyone's eyes were bouncing between me and Tablo. After a few seconds of total silence, he left the room without a word and with a slam of the door. Jiyong laughed, "Usually, he's nice to girls that are hot. I guess you're just not his type."

My cheeks flushed red. Not because I was embarrassed, but because Jiyong just called me hot. I was trying not to smile but my attempt was an epic fail. "What are you smiling about? Psycho" Jiyong asked, confused as he looked at me. I don't know why it made me smile, but it did.

 

--------

Please do comment!! Thank you ♥