Listen to my story

A Story To Tell

“It’s my story. You’re not supposed to tell it but listen to it.”


When I was sixteen, I used to walk to school with my best friend. One day she didn’t showed up. Since that day, she had never showed up again. Last time I saw her, she wore a beautiful white dress, holding white lilies in her pale hands. She looked flawless as always. She was gorgeous and peaceful and dead. She took her own life.
All she had left was a little piece of paper with her last words. She wrote: “It’s my story. You’re not supposed to tell it but listen to it.”

I thought I understood what she meant, but I never found out what her story was… until now.

“Did you know it? Did you know she was pregnant?” He asked.

I kept silent. I had no idea.

“Why?” I asked. “Why are you telling me this?”

“Because if she was still alive, you’d be the first person, maybe even the only one she’d have told about it.”

“It turned out she hadn’t told me a lot of things.”

“Maybe it’s because you never asked. We never asked.” He corrected himself.

“Her story, she’d never said it out loud. Yet it existed.” From his bag, he pulled out a red file and laid it on my kitchen counter. I wondered if the rumor was true; that he really had become a cop because of her death. 

“Why are you giving it to me? After all these years? Why?”

“That’s why,” he replied while opening my drawer. I felt a cold running through my body. He took the little box of sleeping pills and laid it next to the file.

“Do me a favor and read it before you take them.” He said before turning away, heading to the front door.

“You’re not gonna stop me?” I questioned disappointingly. I could hide my tears but not my broken voice.

“I could today but what about tomorrow?”

I knew he was right.

“You know, she,” I wanted to say something. “She had always had a crush on you.But I’d never understand why she didn’t choose you.”

“Maybe you will someday.”

“Someday?” I mumbled. I stared down at the counter. The file or the pills? Certainty or Release?

“What am I to lose?” I said to myself and picked up the papers.

Was this your story, Hanna? Was this the story I was supposed to listen to?

Written by Pab0Panda (29.12.2015)

I hope I could inspire some of you with this.

There are some 'hints' for the next chapters: (It's what I thought while writing this chapter, you don't have to follow them.)

1. What did the main chracter want to do with the pills? Did she want to kill herself too? Why?

2. What does Hanna's last words mean? Was there any rumors about her?

3. How did 'he' know what she was about to do with the pills?

4. Why didn't Hanna go out with him when she had a crush on him?