Notes

A Story To Tell

- A Few Years Before -

It was a fine, warm day, one of those days the sun is so bright and the sky is light blue and there’s no rain. People were smiling more, stopping to greet each other with ‘good morning’ as they walk through the streets and even the cars seem moving slower.

I stepped out of my parents car and turned to look at the other person sitting in the back seat; Sehun.

“Hurry up, we’re gonna late!” I said, wrinkling my nose at the thought.

Sehun took his sweet time grabbing his bag and exiting the car. My mom sat at the front, looking at him through the little mirror above her head. “Listen to your sister, Sehun.”

He nodded, grumbling something (probably being rude) and stood beside me.

 

We watched the car disappear as Sehun put his arm around my shoulders. “So, sister,” he said somewhat teasingly. “What about that friend of yours… Hanna?”

I swayed his arm away and glared at him as we started walking toward the high school building. “What do you have to do with her?”

“Well my friend Kris happened to tell me,” his teasing smile grew larger. “That Hanna is kinda into me.”

I rolled my eyes, knowing very well his way of thinking he’s the best guy out there. “You know her feelings already don’t you?”

“Well actually… I always thought it was some kind of a joke,” he shrugged, and for the first time I saw a hint of pink covering his cheeks. “I never thought she’s that serious about it. I mean she’s your best friend… just think if she’d date with me, it would be cool.”

“It would be awkward,” I laughed. “But yeah, why not trying? Hanna would surely be happy. She’s into you for a while now.”

“Why haven’t you said something earlier?” he scoffed, puffing his cheeks in the cutest way possible.

 I chuckled. “Honestly, I haven’t thought you’d be into her. You know how she can become so restless sometimes; I just thought you’re into more… calm girls.”

“Well obviously I’m not. Actually I think I’ll ask Hanna out after school is over for today.”

“Oh my God! Really? “

“Yah,” he glanced at me. “Don’t tell her anything yet, okay? I want to see her honest reaction.”

“Sure sure “

 

I couldn’t stop myself from smiling like an idiot as I entered the class, waving at Hanna before making my way to her side, my usual place during classes.

 

-

 

As the last ball rang and people started to gather their things, Hanna turned to me and asked if I can walk home first. “I need to talk with someone,” she said.

I bite my lower lip, almost on the verge of asking her if this someone is Sehun, but I’ve promised to him so I didn’t say anything. I just nodded and wished her good luck before I gave her a quick hug and exited the class.

 

When I’ve reached home Sehun wasn’t there. I felt excited; knowing the both of them must have a nice date in some coffee place or at the park. I stared at my phone, waiting for an exciting text message or even a call from Hanna, screaming in my ear that she and Sehun are finally together.

Instead of just sitting around and wait, I’ve decided to clean my room for a little. I’ve opened the first drawer of my desk, pouting at how full of non-important notes and papers it was.

Pulling the whole drawer out, I carried it to my bed, pouring all the papers on it. I started going through them, and then I found a bag full of little notes me and Hanna were passing to each other during classes. I smiled, opening the bag to read them all.

 

It was like a trail of reminders about our year up until now. My smile grew as I read them all, from the very first day of the year until maybe a month ago. The development of our close relationship, how we made up cute nicknames for each other, going from ‘Do you have a spared pencil, Hanna-shi?’ to a ‘good morning, beautiful’.

I smiled at the sight of Hanna’s handwriting. It was sometimes messy – means she was really excited about something – or sometimes very calm and compose, means she was having a rather regular day.

Then I’ve noticed something. Her way of writing a few letters – M, L and S – was slightly different from most people. She had those little changes in all of the notes, and it was another detail I found about my best friend.

I chuckled, grabbing my school bag from the floor. Inside there was Hanna’s math notebook which I asked to take home to copy the recent homework.

I went through the pages for a few moments, smiling as I saw the same detail in all of them; my friend’s unique way of writing a few letters.

 

Suddenly I’ve heard the front door opening and I straightened up, hoping this is Sehun. Not long after, it was indeed Sehun who knocked on my door and opened it just slightly.

A quick glance on his face told me he’s upset. “What happened?” I asked worriedly.

“Hanna,” he said quietly. “I asked her to wait for me near the lockers room. But she never came.”

I widened my eyes. Hanna was so much into Sehun, it was so weird she wasn’t there. “Sehun, I–“

“It’s okay,” he shrugged slightly, as if he doesn’t care. “Just forget about it.”

“No, tomorrow I’ll ask her– “

“Please don’t.” Sehun cut me in the middle of the sentence. “Please don’t say anything.”

I nodded, looking at him sadly. “Wanna hug?”

He shook his head. “No thanks. I’ll just take a shower.”

 

As he kept walking toward the bathroom I frowned, asking myself what could have went wrong. Of course, I wasn’t going to ask Hanna since I promised I wouldn’t but I was really curious to know.

The next day, Hanna greeted me in a good morning as always, but her eyes were sad and she had dark circles under them. When I asked worriedly what happened to her she said it was nothing and she just couldn’t sleep.  She didn’t say anything about Sehun ever since that day and I’ve never asked, until it was too late for asking.

 

-

 

-          Present Time -

The memory suddenly popped in my mind, making my eyes snap upward from the document I was working on. Something felt wrong and I frowned. I was sitting in my room, surrounded by a few papers I took home from the office so I could finish them before tomorrow. Now I moved them to the side and grabbed Hanna’s folder from the nearby night stand.

Sehun was being an during the last days and since I had that mental break down at work yesterday I kept a distance from him. Now I wished we could have talk just like how we used to, because I had a strong feeling that we are missing something.

 

I opened the folder and went through the familiar pages, trying to hold back my tears in order to search what I was looking for. A few moments later I saw I was right; my eyes widened and I covered my mouth with my palm, unable to believe it.

The letters – those letters Hanna wrote from the bottom of her heart – were different than those I used to see her writing for almost three years. The M, L and S in the folder’s pages were just regular, like most of people would write them… but not Hanna.

Everything was just too much for me. I jumped off my bed, my fingers clenching the folder tightly, and ran out of my room to show Sehun what I just found.

Could it be… that it wasn’t Hanna writing all this?

As I entered the living room I saw Sehun holding a box. I frowned, stopping to look at him. “What’s that?” I asked him.

Sehun shrugged. “I don’t know, it was outside of the door.”

“Wait, I need to tell you something.” I looked at him, biting my lower lip.

Sehun looked at the folder I was holding and his eyes softened. “Okay. Just let me open it first.”

I nodded, watching as he ripped it open.

And then he screamed. 

 

written by SHUSHUTHEBEST (23.01.2015)

Please feel free to leave a comment for the writers. They did their best.