Chapter 06.

Our Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 06

“Really?”

“Yeah, absolutely. My friend’s children did the exact same thing. At first she was worried, but look at her now. She can’t be happier! It’s what families from Gangnam do nowadays.”

I heard an unfamiliar voice in our living room. I slowed my steps and tried to peek onto who it is. But my mom suddenly looked at me and said, “Oh, Irene. You’re early.”

“Is this your daughter?” The unfamiliar face asked.

“Ah, yes.” My mom smiled at her. “Irene, say your greetings. She is a friend from my tennis club.”

“How are you, Ma’am. I’m Irene.”

“I’m fine, thank you! But don’t call me Ma’am. Aunt Heejin would be okay.”

I just smiled. “Mom, I’ll just go up in my room.”

“Okay, just come down for dinner later.”

 

“Mom, why was Aunt Heejin here?”  I asked my mom as we ate dinner.

“Who’s Aunt Heejin?” said my Dad.

“Oh, she’s a friend from the tennis club I recently joined in. She was here to suggest some things. Actually, now that you brought it up, I would like both of you to hear it.”

I looked at her.

“Well, it has become popular with the people in our club and I asked Heejin about it, and it looks like a good deal. So, I was thinking, why not?”

Now, both my dad and me are looking at my mom.

 

Dad sighed, “Don’t tell me it’s about some exercise equipment or something. Tell her, we don’t need it.”

“No it’s not.”

“Then, what is it, Mom?” I reached for food and chomped it down.

 

“Studying.”

I looked at her again. ‘Studying?’ I thought.

 

“Abroad.”

I choked on my food.

 

“What? Who?” I asked.

“Well, obviously not me or your dad. It’s you of course!”

“Me? Studying abroad? I just…wait…I…Mom! Where did you even get this idea!”

“Heejin said it’s what mom’s from Gangnam do nowadays. She said it’s a lot better than studying for university here.”

 

I placed my utensils down and sighed. “Mom, are you really serious about this? You’re not playing with me are you?”

“Why? What’s wrong with it? We have the means to send you there! It’s not impossible! Also, thinking about it, it has always been one of my dreams for you to expand your horizons!”

 

I can’t believe this. “I just can’t believe this. Why is everything so sudden? Why haven’t you brought it up to me before?”

“I’m sorry honey. I thought it would be a good surprise?”

I was surprised, yes. But, not really a good one.

 

“But, don’t worry, it’s just a plan you know. That’s why I’m bringing it up so, we could talk about it. Graduation is still in a few months and university applications starts in about one and a half months.”

“That is why, Mom I need to…” I looked at her to explain my side but I figured that she is not really open-minded about this idea.
“I’m so excited! But worried too of course, you will live far from us and you’ll be gone for a long time.” My mom said excited and sad at the same time.

 

“However, I researched a lot about it and Australia is a good place w/ high education standards, good environment, plus studying overseas is good for your curriculum vitae. It’s definitely one step further for a bright future ahead of you. You might get homesick but, don’t worry I will visit you a lot. What do you think, honey?” I can’t believe my mom said all of that in just under a minute. I looked at my Dad and waited for his response.

“Well, if your Mom thinks this is the better than studying university here in Korea then, I’ll have to allow it.”

 

 

“Yah, Irene!” Someone tapped me on the back. “You know that you’ve been spacing out lately, right?”

“Really? I’m sorry about that.”

“What’s the matter anyway?”

I let out a deep sigh.

 

It’s free cut right now and here I am sulking at my table. Our English teacher is sick so, our homeroom teacher came and said we can do some independent study period aka “do-anything-we-want” period.

 

“Hey, are you sick or something?” asked Joy. She’s my closest friend in class. Seulgi and I were on the same class only until last year. Joy had been my confidant in class ever since then.

 

“No, I’m fine. I’m just thinking about a few things.”

“Do you want to go to the canteen?”

“Sure.”

 

As we walk to the canteen, I asked Joy. “Why are we taking this route? We can go by the path walk instead.” There are two buildings at the school. My classroom is in the new building and the canteen is at the old one. Those from the new building usually take the path walk to go to the canteen instead of passing by the old building.

 

“Ssssh. I just want to take a peek.”

“Take a peek at what?”

Joy started to walk slowly while tiptoeing. I just stood at my position while looking at what she’s doing. Then, she looked at me and motioned for me to follow her quietly.

 

Once she arrived in front of a certain room, she straightened herself and walked shyly while looking to her right. I followed her and when I looked at what she’s looking at…

 

‘Oh, this is.’ I thought to myself. I hurriedly ran to the other side until I passed all the windows.

 

“Joy! Yah! What do you need in others’ class?” I whispered to her.

“My first love.”

“What?!”

 

She didn’t answer and just peeked in the classroom through the small window of the classroom door.

“We’re dead if some teacher sees us here! Let’s go back!” I told her.

“Ssssh!”

I sighed and was about to turn back when I suddenly saw a familiar back inside the classroom.

I smiled. “I really like it when he looks serious.”

“What did you say?” Joy asked me.

“Ah, nothing, never mind me. Who’s this first love of yours anyway?”

She suddenly turned red. Then, pointed something through the glass window.

I looked at her finger then looked at where she’s pointing.

 

I stopped for a moment. “Him? Joy, are you sure?”

She just nodded. ‘No way.’ I thought.

 

I looked again.

“Song Minho?” I asked her.

 

-----------------------------------

 

“I hate homeworks really! Such a pain.” Dongho folded his notebooks and crossed his arms.

“This is too much, m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter