Chapter 03.

Our Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 03

“Song Minho!! I’m really surprised everytime I see your name up there on the top of the list! Who knew you had a genius inside you!” 

“We’re proud to have you on our group!” Jaeho jokingly tapped my back.

“I know. No need to be thankful for having an intelligent one here who will keep you guys in check.” I grinned.

“Yah!” Minki protested and I laughed.

 

The exam rankings were posted today. I have been really studying hard for exams since I need good grades for a college scholarship. Luckily for me, things have been working out. I have been consistently in the top 10 of my batch this senior year.

 

“Seunghoon, your rank went lower again this time.”

I looked at Seunghoon. He looked at me and scratched his head. “Yeah, I haven’t been able to study much especially because I don’t understand most of the lessons.”

“Won’t your parents be mad at you? You promised them last exam that you will try to go higher in the ranks.”

“That’s why I’m worried! For sure, they’ll gonna scold me again!” Seunghoon pretended to cry. Then, he went to me and held both of my hands. “Mino-ya, help me.”

 

“Me too.”

“Me too, Mino.”

Dongwon and Minki both said.

 

“Alright. I’ll help you guys study for the next exam because you’re my friends and all of you have been good to me recently.”

“Yes!!” Seunghoon said excitedly.

“You should join us too, Jaeho.”

He looked at me. “Nah, I’m fine. My grades aren’t slipping and I’m already fine with that. Plus, I have a part-time job recently so, I’m not really free after class.”

“Is that so.” I nodded my head.

 

“Would this Saturday be, okay?” Seunghoon asked everyone.

“But, it’s Dongwon’s birthday.” Minki said.

“Ah right!” Seunghoon turned to Dongwon, “Happy Birthday!”

“Nah, you almost forgot about it.”

“But, I didn’t right?”

“Ok, why don’t we celebrate his birthday on Saturday and have a sleep over at my house. If we haven’t finished studying, we can continue the next day.” I suggested.

“Ok, call!” They said. I nodded.

“That’s set then! Let’s go to the gym!”

 

“Ah, wait.” I said. “I’ll follow you guys later.”

“Okay.”

 

Then, I looked at the list again. ‘Irene slipped down by 2 ranks. I wonder if she’s okay.’

 

I got my phone and texted her. “Where are you? I saw the ranks today. You okay?”

I was about to put my phone back in my pocket when it vibrated.

 

“Not that okay. I’m at the bench at the back of the school. Why?”

I ran and immediately went down towards the back of the school. 

 

I saw her sitting alone. I slowly went to her to surprise her. “Irene!”

“Oh my god. You surprised me! How did you get here? I didn’t even notice.”

“You were spacing out. How would you notice?”  She looked away and sighed.

“Hey what’s wrong? Is it about the ranking?”

 

“Sort of.” She said. “I never really cared about my grades before. As long as I pass, I’m good. But, now that we are nearing graduation, it made me think that I should’ve taken my studies more seriously. College is expensive and good grades equals scholarship.”

“I’m sorry.  I should’ve helped you study more.” I said.

She looked at me. “Why are you sorry? You have helped me enough by tutoring me. If my grades are slipping, it’s my fault for not studying. Don’t be sorry, okay?”

 

I looked at her. She still looks pretty troubled.

“I’m fine.” Irene said. “Don’t worry, ok?”

“Ok.” I said. “Come here.” I put my hands on her shoulders and pulled her towards me into a hug.

 

“Hey, we are at school! What if someone sees us.”

“Never mind them. Let me just hug you for awhile.” I closed my eyes. I felt her hands wrapped around my waist.

 

“High school will soon be over.” I heard her say.

“Yeah. I’ll miss it.”

“Me too.”

“What do you think will happen in college?”

“I’m not sure.”

“Mino?” Irene said.

“Yes?”

“We’ll still be together, right?”

 

I opened my eyes and smiled, “Of course.”

 

------------------------------------------------

“Okay girls, our school’s baseball team have a game next weekend so, we have to prepare for that. Thank you for you hardwork today. Great practice!”

“Yes!”

 

“That was exhausting. I wish I could just sleep right here, right now.”

“Don’t worry Jiyoon, you’re new that’s why. If you do this for the duration of your entire high school, you’ll get used to it.” said Seulgi.

“Hey girls. Look at Irene, she’s spacing out again.”

“Talk to her Haeun.”

 

“Irene, are you ok?” Someone tapped my shoulder.

“Oh, Haeun. I’m ok. Why?”

“It’s because you are always spacing out recently.”

“I’m sorry. I just have a few things in my mind lately.”

“Is that so? By the way, are you free on Saturday? We plan to hang out. Come with us.” She asked me.
“Okay.”

 

-----------------------------------

“Irene!” I saw someone waving at me.

“Sorry I’m a bit late.”

“It’s ok. We haven’t waited long.” Seulgi said.

“Now, where do you want to go girls?” She asked.

“A clothing store opened at this area recently and I really want to check it out.”

“Is it okay with the others?”

“I don’t mind.” I said.

 

When we were in the store, I tried to see if there were clothes that will interest me. There were a few but I still couldn’t take my mind off my grades.

“Hey, you should try that.” Seulgi pointed to what I was holding.

“You think it would look good at me?” I faced a mirror and placed the clothes in front of me.

“Eve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter