Baby Steps

The Angel of Death

The group finished practicing due to Jin Ae's constant whining and groaning and decided to just wrap things up for the night. Sehun and Jin Ae were sitting on the couch on their phones while Luhan was looking through their mini kitchen for something to eat for dinner. 

"Jin Ae, do you wanna stay for dinner?" Luhan asked when he found a few pizza slices in a plate in the fridge. 

"Oh no thanks." Jin Ae got off the couch. "I really have to go." She kindly declined and put her jacket on. "Thanks though." 

"Arasso." Luhan smiled. "Goodnight then." He waved as Jin Ae smiled back and walked up the basement stairs. "Sehun, how many slices do you want?" Luhan called over to Sehun. 

"I'll warm them up myself when I get back." The younger told him and threw his own jacket on. Luhan blinked at the maknae.

"Where are you going?" Luhan asked with his usual doe eyes. 

"Gonna drop Grumpy Cat off." Sehun winked at Luhan and grabbed his car keys from the counter. 

Luhan blinked once again in surprise. "But she doesn't like you!!" The fairy called after Sehun who ignored the older. 

 

 

Jin Ae was walking down the street and was seriously debating whether or not to just bring her wings out and fly home. But in order to do that, she needed a secluded place and as far as she could see, there weren't any empty alleys in this rich kid neighborhood. So alas, the angel was stuck and had to walk home in the cold November air, alone. Maybe she would get lucky and find a bus station. But Jin Ae hated buses; they were insanely disgusting. Although she wasn't a mortal, she still had hygiene. 

Lost in her thoughts about bus sanitation, Jin Ae didn't notice the car following her until she heard it beep twice behind her. Jin Ae jumped at the honks and turned around, her hand on her forehead trying to cover her eyes from the blinding headlights. 

Sehun rolled down his window and stuck his head out. "Get in Grumpy Cat!" He called to her. Usually Jin Ae would be disgusted and say some not-so-kind words to him, but it was either let Sehun drive her home, or walk home and potentially get . 

Sehun it was, *sigh.*

Jin Ae got in the car and found Sehun with his usual goofy smile. But instead of growling and hissing, Jin Ae couldn't stop her smile and just pushed his face away. "Shut up." She laughed. The angel wouldn't deny it, Sehun was growing on her. From his immature jokes to his goofy smile to his hurting scars, Jin Ae found herself enjoying her time with him. But that part she would never admit in a million years and would deny til the ends of the earth. 

Sehun was both happy and shocked. "Cheon Jin Ae," he looked at her, "did you just laugh in my presence?" He asked. 

Jin Ae immediately subdued her grin and clasped a hand over . "No!" She muffled. 

"Yeah, uh-huh." Sehun raised a playful smile and drove on. But when his eyes were on the road, Jin Ae let the last of her smile out. 

 

They drove in silence for a while, exchanging their usual glances when the other wasn't looking. Jin Ae looked down at Sehun's arm then let out a silent sigh when she saw his uniform shirt covering the marks on his forearm. 

"Do you like froyo?" Sehun asked causing Jin Ae to slightly jump and revert her eyes back towards the window. 

"What?" She asked, trying to sound like she wasn't startled. 

Sehun looked at her for a second. "I asked if you liked frozen yogurt." He repeated. 

"Yeah, I guess." The angel shrugged. "Why?" Sehun answered her question not with words, but instead by turning into the empty parking lot of a frozen yogurt shop, Pinkberry. 

"Let's go." He said as he turned off the car and unbuckled his seat belt. Jin Ae looked at him with wide eyes. He wanted frozen yogurt in the middle of freezing November? 

"Are you serious?" She asked. "It's freezing out!" Jin Ae exclaimed. 

"It's cheaper in the winter." He shrugged and unbuckled her seatbelt as well. "Come on." The half-blooded demon ordered and got out of the car. Jin Ae blinked a couple of times, debating whether or not to follow him. 

But the angel did like frozen yogurt so she sighed again and went after the younger boy. 

 

"Annyeonghasayo." The young female worker smiled and bowed when she saw Sehun and Jin Ae walk in. Sehun and the girl made flirtatious eye contact and smiled to one another in a friendly manner. "Is there anything I can help you with?" She asked the two customers. But Jin Ae knew that she was less than invisible to the female worker. Her nametag said Oh Hayoung on it and Hayoung's eyes were specifically only on Sehun. 

"Uh yeah. Do you guys have chocolate?" Sehun asked. He knew that they would obviously have chocolate frozen yogurt, but Hayoung was pretty and it was a good chance to talk to her. 

"Uh, neh." Hayoung smiled and nodded and led him over to the yogurt dispensers, leaving Jin Ae alone. 

Jin Ae sighed (something that she did a lot when with Sehun) and went by herself to grab a cup. "I'm alright, thank you though." She whispered bitterly to Hayoung who obviously didn't hear her. 

"Any toppings?" Hayoung asked Sehun while she playfully twirled her hair. 

"What do you have?" Sehun asked already knowing the kind of toppings they had. Hayoung smiled and led him over to the toppings bar, with her hand on his back. Jin Ae scoffed at their close contact. 

"Just kiss her why don't you." She softly scoffed. "Stupid player..." While Jin Ae was busy cursing out Sehun and his new "best friend," she didn't notice how much vanilla frozen yogurt she was putting in her little cup. It was already too late because Jin Ae then felt the yogurt overflowing onto the floor and her hand. "Omona!!" Jin Ae jumped back at how cold it was. She quickly let go of the pull down bar which stopped the yogurt from coming home. 

Haeyoung and Sehun looked back, the workers face falling at the mess Jin Ae was making. "Yah Grumpy Cat." Sehun called to her in a disapproving manner. "Be careful, ight?" 

"Sorry." Jin Ae forced out with her teeth gritted. "I'll clean it-" She didn't even finish her sentence when Hayoung and Sehun turned back around to the toppings bar. "..up." The angel's face fell. If anyone was actually paying attention to her, they would be able to see the steam smoking off from Jin Ae's head from fury. She was so angry, her fist clenched around her froyo cup causing it to slightly fold around the edges. 

"Is she your sister?" Hayoun quietly asked. But not quiet enough because Jin Ae still heard her. 

"Oh God no." Sehun shuddered while the Angel's eyes widened from shock at his disgusted response. "She's just a classmate." He slightly chuckled. "I would die if she was my sister." Jin Ae clenched her cup so hard that it was crushed within her grip and the vanilla yogurt spilled all over her hand, her eyes twitching in anger. Sehun and Hayoung finally turned around and their eyes widened at Jin Ae's disheveled manner. 

"You okay?" Sehun gave her a weird look. 

"Just.perfect." Jin Ae gritted her teeth. She walked over to the trash can and slammed the ripped cup and yogurt remains into the bin creating a loud thump as it hit the bottom with a crash. "I'll be in the car." She muttered while grabbing a handful of napkins to clean her dirty hand off. 

Hayoung and Sehun watched as she walked out and into Sehun's car, slamming the door shut with so much force, Sehun thought she broke the door. "Is she okay?" Hayoung asked, completely baffled. 

"I think so." Sehun chuckled, finally realizing what had just happened. He turned to Hayoung, "I'll pay for this now." 

Hayoung forgot all about Jin Ae once she made eye contact with Sehun's mesmerizing eyes again. "Neh." She nodded. The two went to the register and Sehun paid for the little snack while Hayoung kindly slipped him her number on a piece of paper. "Call me sometime?" She confidenlty asked. Sehun took the paper and stuck it into his pocket with a nod and a grin. 

Hayoung thought the grin was probably because she gave her number to him, but Sehun was actually smiling because of Jin Ae. 

He said farewell to Hayoung and finally went back to the car where Jin Ae was still steaming with rage. Sehun smiled from ear to ear when he saw her in the car, arms crossed across her chest, her jaw tightly clenched. He tried to suppress his smile as he got into the car. 

"Want some?" He kindly offered, biting his smile back. 

"No." She bitterly declined. Sehun shrugged and started the car back up. He the heat and started backing out of the parking lot. 

The two drove together in an amusing silence for a few minutes as Sehun watched the road and Jin Ae stared out of the window, not wanting to talk to him. 

 

"...You're jealous." 

" you." 

 

 


 

 

"Where are we?" Jin Ae asked as she looked around. After they left the frozen yogurt shop, Sehun drove for about 15 minutes and had turned into the empty parking lot of what seemed to be a walking park.

"Come on." Sehun ordered, ignoring her question. He took off his jacket and placed it on her lap before getting out of the car himself with his yogurt still in his hands. 

"Sehun I have to get home though!" Jin Ae yelled to him from the car. But Sehun was already walking up the concrete stairs to the higher elevated part of the park, far away from hearing range. "Aish I'm shoot him one day." Jin Ae grumbled angrily while she put on her jacket and followed after him. Sehun could hear her curses and grumbles at him but it was the fact that she still came that made him happy. He noticed that Jin Ae was actually a very nice person. Her kindness was hidden way within her cold and abrasive exterior. Sehun made Jin Ae do many things, and when you actually thought about it, she adhered to many of them regardless of her reluctance. And although she constantly reminded Sehun how much she disliked the demon, Sehun knew that he was growing on her.

Sehun wanted  to get closer to Jin Ae. He wanted to know anything and everything about her; there was just something about Jin Ae that pulled Sehun in. Somehow, she had wrapped him up in her ropes and frankly, he didn't want to be cut free. 

 

"I....hate...you..." Jin Ae finally caught up to Sehun, huffing and puffing after the tiring venture up the long concrete staircase. Sehun laughed at how unfit she was. 

"Come on." He ordered her lightly with a chuckle. "Sit down." He said and plopped down on the bench that looked over the whole park. 

"I'll stand." She harshly declined and leaned against the wooden park fencing that blocked off the edge to the small cliff. 

"Suit yourself." Sehun shrugged and laid down on the metal seating, covering his face with his snapback. Jin Ae looked at him and finally caught sight of what she had been searching for for weeks: his bruises. 

Sehun's arm was covering his eyes on top of the head and in that position, his sweatshirt sleeve was pulled back a little bit, revealing the marking. Jin Ae bit her lip and turned away from him, facing the park scenery. 

She wanted so badly to ask him about it. But Jin Ae was scared of the answer she would get in return. What if he freaked out and told her to mind her own business? Or what if he actually told her and it was something far worse than she imagined? 

Sehun was always happy. He always had a smile on his face and was never serious. He was the perfect guy to cheer someone up when they were down and give a comforting shoulder to cry on. 

Jin Ae wondered if she was ready to see the Sehun behind the happy facade. 

The questions bounced around in her head until finally she couldn't take it anymore. "Sehun." She blurted, biting her lip almost to the point of portrusion. 

"Hm?" He sounded with his eyes still closed. 

"I- uhh...Well, you see," Jin Ae fumbled with the bottom of her jacket, looking up the sky trying to sound like a normal person instead of a blithering idiot. Sehun furrowed his eyebrows when he opened his eyes and finally sat up, fixing his snapback back onto his head. 

"Spit it out Grumpy." He told her, trying to make eye contact. Jin Ae finally looked down and was trapped in his gaze once she locked yes with him.

 

(Baby Steps - TaeTiSeo)

 

"Are....are you okay?" Jin Ae finally asked, her breath leaving her chest. Sehun saw how she glanced at his arms and he quickly pulled his sleeves down all the way to his fingers. The angel's face fell at seeing his initial reaction. "Sehun," her eyes glistened, "are you hurting?"

Sehun's jaw clenched and he gulped, breaking the eye contact by looking away from her. "I...I think we should go now."  He breathed, his voice shaky. Sehun got up without glancing at Jin Ae and walked towards the stairs, but stopped when Jin Ae grabbed his arm. She could feel how tense he was. 

"Sehun." She said like a whisper. "If you're in pain..." Her other hand went down to his palm. "You...can lean on me." 

Sehun swallowed and he could feel his eyes becoming moist. Talking about his father and the kind of monster he was, Sehun would never lay that upon Jin Ae. Those were two things he tried to forget every single day, every second. They were the two things that destroyed him, the two things that kept him in this never ending tunnel of darkness. 

"I won't ask you about it." Jin Ae promised him. "But, lean on me right now, neh?" She said softly and brought him close to her. She wrapped her arms around his neck and embraced him, showing that she would follow up on her word. 

Sehun couldn't remember the last time someone had hugged him so warmly. And so he relished in the moment, holding her tightly as well, letting his guard down for this precious second. 

 


 

 

Jin Ae arrived home an hour later, feeling sort of tired and dizzy. But she just brushed it off and filled her mind with the events that had happened earlier. She had no idea what had came over her. Why did she hug Sehun?? She hated physical contact more than anyone else so why in the hell did she initiate it someone she barely knew? 

What's even worse is that she liked it. Jin Ae liked being in his arms and him being in hers. And frankly, it scared her. 

"Oh Jin Ae yah." Sung Kyung said when she saw Jin Ae walking in. "Where have you been?" The Seer said and turned off the TV. 

"I- um...out." Jin Ae said. She would eventually tell Sung Kyung what was going on, but not right now. She just wasn't feeling well at the moment. Jin Ae looked around and she could've sworn the room was spinning. 

"Jin Ae!" Sung Kyung called out to her. But her voice was so faint, the angel could hardly hear it.

And the next thing Jin Ae knew, she was falling to the floor, everything in her vision going black.