New Human

The Angel of Death

"Give Love! Sarang'm juseyo!" 

"Give Love!" A woman in her early 20s sung along to her favorite duo: Akdong Musician. She smiled at her favorite song as she drove through on the black highway. She hummed along and turned right, getting closer and closer to her destination. She was on her way to see her parents who she hadnt seen in a long time. 

The woman then began turning left, but was blinded by a giant trucks high beams. "Ahhh..." The woman put her hand to cover the bright lights. But it was too late. The truck didn't have time to stop when he saw the little black car that blended in with the nights darkness as he was swerving uncontrollably towards her. The woman gasped as she braced herself for impact. The truck slammed into the car and crushed the side. She was thrown to the passengers seat hitting her head on the window. Shards of glass cut her head causing it to bleed endlessly. 

Another car that was coming from the opposite direction, crashed into the womans car from the front, causing the woman's legs to break. 

The woman breathed heavily trying to call for help. But it was no use. She had no more strength left in her. "H...help..." She whispered. The truck driver and the other driver sreamed and went to the womans car. 

"Miss! Miss can you hear me?!" The truck driver shouted trying to pry the door open. She meekly looked up before going unconcious. 

"Call the police!" The second driver that had crashed into them said to the truck driver. The truck driver was already on the phone with the police though. 

The police arrived shortly after with fire trucks and cop cars and two ambulances and hurriedly got the woman out of the car and onto the stretcher. 

"Miss!" The police officer opened her eyes and shined the light into it to see if she was still alive. The woman's eyes didn't open though, as they never would again. 

Up above, a small little crow flew across the scene and let out a loud chirp. With that chirp, a girl appeard beside the reckage. She watched with sad eyes as the firefighteres hosed the fire down, the police officers questioned the other two men part of the crash, and the other workers wheel the woman into the ambulence. 

The girl with majestic white wings walked towards the ambulence with her hands behind her back. She had a sad expression on her face. The police officers just walked right passed without even a glance. She stepped into the ambulence just before the car sped away. 

"Kim Se Joo ssi." The girl called to the woman.  

The woman's eyes slowly opened with multiple blinks and she sat up, feeling strangely well. She looked around and saw that her body was still on the stretcher though. 

"Jin Ae?" The woman blinked a few times. "Whats going on?" 

Jin Ae helped Se Joo stand up without a word. 

Se Joo looked at her body lying on the stretcher with a hospital worker performing CPR on her. Se Joo's body was covered in blood and she had cuts and bruises all over. She saw a giant gash on her head and blood staining the stretcher. Se Joo breathed in deeply. "Am...am I dead?" She carefully asked, keeping herself standing by placing a hand on Jin Ae's shoulder. 

The latter nodded with the same sad expression when she first appeared. "Yes, Se Joo ssi." She responded softly. "You're dead." 

"But- but I cant be dead!" Se Joo's eyes grew wide. "I still have so many things to do! I have to get married, and I have to finish school and tell my parents that I love them!" Se Joo shouted with hot tears streaming down her reddned cheeks. 

Jin Ae sighed. 

Se Joo collapsed onto the ground and gripped onto her body. "GET UP!" She hit her lifeless body. "GET UP KIM SE JOO!" 

Jin Ae watched from behind. She was an angel, but how come she didn't feel so good and pure? 

 

Jin Ae felt the car stop and put a light hand on Se Joo's shoulder. "It's time to go." 

Se Joo looked up at Jin Ae, her eyes and body dead. Jin Ae's heart broke seeing her expression. The doors to the ambulance opened and the hospital workers pulled Se Joo's body out from the back and hurriedly pushed her into the hospital. 

Se Joo had stopped bawling, but there were still quiet tears sliding down her face. "Wh- why are you here though?" Se Joo asked, turning towards Jin Ae. 

Jin Ae looked at Se Joo. "I'm...I'm your Angel." 

"My what?" Se Joo asked, sniffling her nose. "But you're just a high schooler!" She exclaimed. 

"I wish I was." Jin Ae said mysertiously, staring into Se Joo's eyes. 

An eerie silence filled the air and Se Joo began to cry again. "Now what do I do??" She fell onto her knees once more. 

"Take my hand. I'll lead you through this." Jin Ae warmly held her hand out for her.

Se Joo looked up at her hand and then into Jin Ae's eyes. The only thing she was saw was sorrow in the young girls eyes. Se Joo wiped her tears and took Jin Ae's hand, trusting her. 

The two stepped out of the ambience and into the gray, empty hospital. Se Joo didn't notice that they were alone  or that there weren't any people bustling around, it was just them two. Jin Ae led Se Joo to one of the hospital's surgery rooms. It had a bright light inside it that shined like a diamond. 

Se Joo noticed a light ahead and looked up, her eyes slightly opening. "What's that?" She asked softly, taking a step forward but never letting go of Jin Ae's hand. 

"Your next life." Jin Ae answered even though she knew Se Joo wasnt listening. By this point, all the souls ignore their angels of death and emotionlessly be. 

"Its so..pretty." Se Joo said like all the other millions of souls Jin Ae has taken. Se Joo stared at the spiral of light with her own light in her eyes. 

"Go ahead." Jin Ar urged her softly. "You'll be okay." 

Se Joo slowly turned her head towards Jin Ae. The latter gave her a small assuring nod. Se Joo took a few steps forward into the light and turned back around. "Thank you, Jin Ae yah."

Jin Ae gave her a smile before Se Joo vanished into the light to begin her next life. As soon as Se Joo vanished, the hospital lights lit up, and the people and all the machines appeared.

Jin Ae was back on the human plane. 

"Miss are you okay?" A doctor walked up to Jin Ae. 

Jin Ae faced the doctor and nodded. "Fine, thank you." She responded. The doctor nodded and walked away, leaving her with her thoughts Jin Ae looked towards the left and saw the surgery room that Se Joo had left in. It was now filled with doctors trying to bring the latter back to life, which was to no avail. "Time of death, 11:53PM, August 16th, 2014." The doctor said to the others, her voice strained. Jin Ae sighed and her shoulders fell. 

"Goodbye, Se Joo unnie." 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"I told you it wouldnt be that bad." Jin Ae's guardian, Lee Yoo Ri, said when Jin Ae arrived at their home. 

"Yeah but I really liked Se joo. She was sweet." Jin Ae sighed and sat down at the table. 

"They're all sweet." Yoo Ri told her placing a hot bowl of ramyun in front of her. "Eat, you've been looking really sick these days." 

"I cant get sick unnie." Jin Ae told her. "We're immuned." 

"Well we can at least act normal cant we?" Yoo Ri told her as she ate some of the ramyun herself. 

"We're not normal." Jin Ae coldly told her. 

Yoo Ri gave Jin Ae a hard look. "Alright do whatever you want, I'm going to bed." She told her a little irritated at Jin Ae's icy attitude. The latter watched as Yoo Ri went to her room and slammed her door shut. Jin Ae sighed.

"I'm sorry Unnie." She whispered. She was alwyas in a bad mood after sending a soul off. 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Kim Min Seok." 

"Here."

"Zhang Yixing." 

"Here songsengnim." 

"Oh Sehun?" 

"Here" Sehun said like he always does. The teacher nodded and finished taking attendence. 

"Alright everyone, take your homework out so I can check." The teacher said taking out his note pad to write the names of those who didnt do it. 

"Did you do it?" Kai whispered over to Sehun. 

"Are you kidding me? Me doing math is like you trying to play the guitar." Sehun told him. 

Kai silently chuckled and showed the teacher his homework when he came. The teacher then went to Sehun's sdesk who was already praying that the punishment wouldnt be to clean the bathrooms agains. 

"Oh Sehun." The teacher sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "What excuse do you have this time for not doing your homework?" 

"Well songsengnim, you see, its actually a really funny story-" 

"Actually, I dont really care." The teacher cut him off. "You're cleaning the bathrooms today after school again." He shook his head and moved onto the next person. 

"Aish." Sehun slumped in his chair as his friends laughed in the back. Sehun never did his math homework because he could never follow along to what was going on. And everytime a student missed 3 homework assignments in a row, they had to do some kind of serivce for the school like cleaning all the chalk boards, cleaning the bathrooms, helping serve lunch, or it was detention. 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Those bathrooms could kill a person with their smell." Sehun shuddered as he and his friends walked to empty garage they had their band practice at. 

"Really? I would think they smelled amazing considering you're always in there cleaning them." Tao laughed making Sehun hit him in the arm.

"I think that teacher hates me." Sehun shook his head. "He knows i cant do math and still gives me all the homework without helping me." 

The guys chuckled and reached their garage to find it decorated with hearts and little gifts all over the place. Girls were always leaving little presents for the boys at their practice room. The guys just pushed the stuff aside since they were used to it. 

Baekhyun, Chen, and D.O. grabbed the three mics that were in the center of the room. Sehun went to the back where the drum set was and began warming up. Chanyeol and Kris grabbed their guitars while Lay stood behind the piano. The other five that weren't part of the band just slumped onto the couches and chairs and went on their phones or started their homework.

"Lets practice a little more on 'Growl' and 'MAMA.'" Baekhyun told them. 

The guys all nodded and began the first song to practice.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

"Should we eat out tonight?" Yoo Ri asked Jin Ae as they shopped in the mall. 

"Whatever you want." Jin Ae shrugged as she sat on one of the couches. Jin Ae loved hanging out with Yoo Ro, except for shopping. She hated shopping more than anything. 

"You've become such a bore lately." Yoo Ri told her bitterly.

"Well sorry I'm not all fun and happy like all the other beings. Unlike you all, I wanna be able to live a-"

"a normal life. I know I know." Yoo Ri rolled her eyes finishing Jin Ae sentence. "You've said it a thousand times." 

Jin Ae didnt respond because she knew where this conversation was going and it wouldn't end well. She let Yoo Ri shop peacefully without nagging about her eternal life for the next half hour.  

A few minutes passed when Yoo Ri's head shot up in alarm. 

"What is it unnie?" Jin Ae looked at her. 

"I've gotta go." Yoo Ri's tone changed. 

"Right now?" Jin Ae asked following Yoo Ri to the dressing room. 

"Yeah. Its urgent. There are demons downtown after Kikwang." Yoo Ri rushed into the room and closed the door behind her. Jin Ae waited a couple seconds before opening the door. No one was inside. Yoo Ri had gone to help Kikwang, another Angel of Death.

"Yes yes yes!" Jin Ae cheered and ran out of the mall. She ran to a closed alley way and let her wings grow out. Jin Ae took a big stretch before she shot up into the warm summer air. 

"Now this is fun." Jin Ae laughed as she flew. She loved flying more than anything. 

It made her feel so free and powerful. Jin Ae felt like she could do anything when she was zig zagging through the air. She loved the refreshing air that went into her lungs and smiled as she flew above the city. 

But everything comes with a price. 

Her wings were the things kept her within the supernaturals. They separated her from being normal and human and kept her as an Angel. 

 

Jin Ae settled on top of one of the highest buildings in Seoul and stared out across the sunset that colored the city. She sat on the top, her legs dangling off the edge. 

"Your expression could bring down the city, ya know that right?" 

Jin Ae's head shot up and she turned around, a big grin growing on her face. "Sung Kyung ah!" Jin Ae jumped up and ran to her friend who she hadn't seen in months.

Lee Sung Kyung, a Seer, laughed and hugged her best friend. "2 months is way too long!!" 

"Oh I know!" Jin Ae responded before they both sat down on the edge.

"How're you feeling?" Sung Kyung asked. 

Jin Ae sighed and shook her head. "I don't know anymore man." 

Sung Kyung felt sympathy for her friend. She knew how Jin Ae was feeling but she didn't know how to help her. 

How do you help someone who feels tired of immortality? Kill them? 

Sung Kyung could never do that. She didn't know what to do to help Jin Ae become happier. 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jin Ae and Yoo Ri sat at the dinner table, eating their take out food from the Chinese Restaurant they ordered from. 

Yoo Ri glanced up at Jin Ae who mindlessly mixed her noodles together. "So, Kikwangs okay. I got there before the demons could cause serious harm." She said hoping to strike up a conversation. 

"Oh really?" Jin Ae answered back, oblivious to what Yoo Ri actually said. 

The latter looked at Jin Ae and her shoulders fell. "Honey what's the matter with you?" Yoo Ri asked as she placed her chopsticks down on the table wanting to give her full attention to Jin Ae. 

Jin Ae let out a long sigh and buried her head in her hands. "I honestly don't know." Jin Ae, her voice muffled by the blockage of her hands cupping her face. She removed her hands so Yoo Ri could fully understand her. "The look that Se Joo gave me the night I passed her on," Jin Ae helplessly looked at Yoo Ri, "I- I don't think I'll ever be able to forget it. It was so pained, and so....dead." Jni Ae said, almost as a whisper and shook her head. 

Yoo Ri hated seeing Jin Ae like this, just like Sung Kyung. 

"I, I think I'm just gonna go to bed. I'm tired." Jin Ae got up and went to her room before Yoo Ri could say or do anything. The latter sighed and rubbed her temples. 

"She's gonna snap anytime now." Yoo Ri said. "She's gonna snap." 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

When Jin Ae woke up the next morning, she remembered her conversations with Sung Kyung and Yoo Ri from the night. Jin Ae felt guilty for dumping her worries on them when they didn't deserve her stress being added to their own. 

"Keep it together, Cheon Jin Ae." She told herself. 

 

Yoo Ri was at the dining table, handling bills and such when she saw Jin Ae walk out of her room, looking better than she had last night. "Morning." Yoo Ri said cautiously. 

Jin Ae looked at her unnie and gave her a smile small. "Morning. What's for breakfast?" 

Although Jin Ae smiled and sounded okay, Yoo Ri still had some doubts. "Uh, there're three eggs left in the fridge. Do you want them?" 

"Mhm." Jin Ae nodded and went to the fridge. Yoo Ri watched as Jin Ae took out the eggs and began beating them in one of their bowls. She the stove and placed the fry pan on top, followed by the eggs.

"You.....okay?" Yoo Ri finally asked. 

Jin Ae turned around and gave her an assuring nod. "I'm fine, unnie." 

"Okay..." Yoo Ri said, turning back to the papers she was filling out, giving Jin Ae a glance now and then. 

 

The two sat down for breakfast and not even 5 minutes in, Jin Ae's Death List appeared.

"Aiiiiiish." Jin Ae hissed upon seeing the worn out, crisp brown paper sitting on the dining table. Yoo Ri chuckled and took it. 

"Let's see." She read down the death list. "Your next human is Yoo Jae Suk. He's a teacher at Jeon-Won High School, he's 42 yfears old, dies of a heart attack on December 18th." 

Jin Ae's jaw dropped. "December 18th?! That's right before Christmas! The poor man dies a few days before Christmas?!" Jin Ae exclaimed, completely forgetting the promise she made herself just a few minutes ago. 

"I don't know what to tell you, babe. This stuff is out of my hands." Yoo Ri sadly shrugged and handed the paper to Jin Ae. 

The latter read it over again, hoping Yoo Ri made a mistake. But her shoulders fell when she read the date once more, December 18th. "Unbelievable." Jin Ae shook her head. 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

A few weeks passed and Yoo Ri had enrolled Jin Ae at Jeon-Won. It was part of an Angel's job to get to know and spend some time with their human before they died. This was to make the transition easier for the human. 

But Jin Ae hated going to school more than anything. She hated, well, people in general. Especially high school kids. They were all so arrogant and thought so highly of themselves. Yoo Ri had to take Jin Ae kicking and screaming to the school that morning. 

"We're happy to have you here, Cheon Jin Ae ssi." The principal of Jeon-Won said as he and Jin Ae walked to her homeroom. "You're going to love it here. Everyone is very nice and welcoming." He assured her. 

"Yeah, and drugs are good for you." She bitterly thought to herself with a fake smile on her face. 

He opened the door and let her go in first. The homeroom teacher and students looked over at her, making her feel like a deer in headlights. 

"Ah!" Mr. Yoo smiled and excitedly walked over to Jin Ae. "You must be the new student!" 

"Neh, Yoo Songsaengnim." The principal said. Jin Ae looked at the teacher in front of her. Yoo Jae Suk looked like a complete nerd. He had straight black hair and thick rimmed glasses that framed his eyes. He was tall and from his average build, Jin Ae could tell her was a healthy man. 

The principal and Jae Suk turned towards the class. "Everyone, this is Cheon Jin Ae." Jae Suk said everyone. 

Almost everyone blinked in astonishment at this new girl that stood in front of them. Jin Ae had jet black, straight hair that went to her stomach. She was wearing the same uniform as everyone else, but she made it give off a dark and mysterious vibe. 

"Jin Ae, you can go to the back to that empty seat next to Min Seok, by the window." Jae Suk told her. 

"Uh, neh," Jin Ae nodded and awkwardly walked to the back to where Jae Suk had told her. Min Seok pulled out the chair for her like the gentleman he was."Thanks." Jin Ae said quietly and sat down. 

Some of the girls around the room had already decided whether Jin Ae would be their friend or foe while most of the guys had decided they would try and date her. Jin Ae could feel their stares and tried not to throw up her breakfast. 

"Jin Ae just moved to Seoul so I want all of you to try and make her feel comfortable here, okay?" The principal ordered them. 

"Neh." The students answered back. He nodded and left the classroom while the morning announcements went on on the T.V. 

Jin Ae looked around her classroom to see what kind of classmates she had and locked eyes with a handsome, blonde haired boy a couple seats down from her. He gave her a light smile and wink causing Jin Ae to grimace and look away. 

Sehun chuckled while chewing his gum and looked back towards the front.