2 눈물의yesterday

Tears of Yesterday
/note: the setting is in fall of 2015 so this story is a bit ahead of us./
 

Jinki and Taemin organized Taemin's things in the bedroom. Well, Taemin was only watching his brother. Jinki wouldn't let him help. Jinki missed doing everything for him. He was used to it that's why he was happy to finally be able to do things for him again.

 

Taemin sat on the edge of the bed and stretched his legs bending them a little then extending them forward. Jinki watched him do it. Taemin didn't realize his brother had already finished putting his clothes in the drawer. He was too focused on his legs and the movements they were making.

 

"Are you tired?" Jinki finally broke the silence. Taemin looked up at him and bit his lower lip.

"A little." He responded looking down again.

"Sleep then. I'll just wake you up when it's time for dinner." Jinki smiled and so Taemin nodded. The doorbell rang when Jinki had just opened the bedroom door.

"I'll get it." Jinki ran out. He opened the door in a hurry after seeing who it was from the little screen beside the door.

 

"Why didn't you tell me you're already back?!" Amber exclaimed as she walked into the flat, her eyes were a bit furious but Jinki was just laughing.

"No texts? No calls? Seriously, oppa, what am I to you?" She asked gesturing her hands in every way she could but Jinki continued laughing before he grabbed her arm and hugged her firmly. Amber sighed and rolled her eyes as she hugged him back.

"Stop acting like a girl, Amber. It doesn't suit you." He whispered and so Amber punched his left arm as hard as she could then she pushed him away but Jinki pulled her again for another warm embrace. She just let him do what he wanted because she frankly felt comfortable with his arms around her giving her warmth. She missed him and he missed her too. Even if Jinki was only away for two weeks. They were so used to seeing each other almost everyday that two weeks just felt soooo long.

 

"Taemin," Amber muttered when she saw Taemin standing motionless next to the center table at the living room. She broke away from Jinki and stared at Taemin. Jinki was practically doing the same.

"I was just going to get my phone." Taemin slightly shook his head before he took his phone and headphones on the sofa where he threw them earlier.

"Taem, don't you recognize her?" Jinki immediately stopped Taemin from walking back to his room. Of course, I recognize her.

"Uhm... No, sorry." He didn't avoid eye contact to prove he was telling the truth.

"It's Amber." Jinki pointed at Amber joyfully with his two point fingers. I know who she is.

"I... I really don't remember her." He bit his chapped and dry lower lip. It was about to bleed. Just a few more bites and they'd surely bleed. It had become a habit. A terrible habit when he felt nervous or whenever he had nothing to do.

"I'm really tired, hyung. I'll see you some other time... Uh...?"

"Amber," she answered instantly like she was gonna get something in return after answering. But there was nothing. He didn't speak anymore and just went back to the bedroom.

 

"He... he doesn't know me anymore?" Amber turned to Jinki with her eyes full of sadness and disappointment. Jinki could tell she was about to cry so he comforted her by patting her head.

"Hey, it's alright. Seven years is not a short period of time, Amber."

"Yeah, but—"

"And he didn't recognize me when he first saw me the other day." Jinki would tell her so many reasons not to worry. He couldn't take another tear drop from her. He had had enough. It was torturous—the countless tears she had shed. And he might end up crying as well if she ever started.

 

"Ah, how would he even recognize you? You have become so handsome." Amber cupped Jinki's face and squeezed it with her palms.

"Are you saying I was ugly before?" Jinki annoyingly asked and raised a brow. Amber nodded and chuckled. She was starting to light up again.

"Not nice, missy." Jinki hissed.

 

"But I didn't even change. Not a single bit... just for him." But she became down again. That wasn't how she imagined their reuniting would be. She was expecting an embrace or a cheerful greeting, even an "I missed you".

"You've changed over the years, Amber." Jinki put his hands over Amber's which were still pressed against his cheeks.

"You've become so much prettier." He added. And no, he didn't just say that to make her feel better. He meant it.

 

Taemin was peeking at the keyhole. He couldn't hear what they were saying but he could see them clearly. They looked so sweet that Taemin could puke. He stood up and leaned against the door closing his eyes and breathing in very deeply. He placed his hand over his chest. He then clenched his own shirt before he hit his chest nonstop. His heart, it was aching.

 

"Amber~"

 

[2007]

Taemin happily walked up the stairs to their apartment holding a plastic bag each in both of his hands. He bought some snacks for him and for his brother. It was a Friday and they usually watched some films on Friday nights. It had become a little routine for them. Jinki needed a break from everything. He had been working really hard. It was his final year in high school and apart from school works and projects, he also had a tutoring job. He wished he could be as intelligent as his older brother. Jinki just seemed like the type who was born smart while he, he needed to study hard to get good grades.

 

He did some odd movements he saw on TV the other night as he stepped on their floor. He didn't know why but he was drawn to this dance contest on TV. He really liked the moves they were making. Especially that so-called pop and lock. He had been imitating the same moves for the past couple of days.

 

He dialed the apartment's code and opened the door jumping into the room.

 

"Hyung! I'm hom—" he cut himself off when he saw Jinki sitting on the sofa. But he wasn't alone. There was a boy/girl(Taemin wasn't sure) sitting on the floor and writing on a paper on the table. He realized they were staring at him. So he walked towards them and he gave his brother a questionable look.

"SHE is Amber. I'm teaching her Korean." Jinki emphasized the first word because he knew Taemin was unsure. Taemin nodded. Now he could see it. She doesn't have adam's apple. She also had girly features. But her hair was making her look like a guy. It was so short, even shorter than his.

"Where is she from?" Taemin asked and sat next to his brother putting the bags on the table.

"America."

"But you don't speak English, hyung." Taemin was teasing his brother. Jinki just messed up his hair. Taemin then sat on the floor next to the stranger. He didn't want her to be just a simple stranger anymore.

 

/note: italics in quotation marks mean they were said in english. pretend that everything else is in korean. he-he/

 

"I'm Taemin. Tae-Min." He introduced himself gleefully in English smiling at her showing almost all his white teeth.

"You're Jinki's brother?" Amber tilted her head to see a better view of him. She looked confused. Cute confused. Taemin liked it.

"Yes, I'm brother." Taemin replied that made Jinki and Amber laugh. Now, he was the confused one.

"He doesn't speak English as well as you." Amber commented as she covered with the back of her hand as she laughed. Taemin noticed that and smiled a little though he was still confused.

"Obviously not." Jinki patted Taemin's head. Taemin grimaced. He couldn't understand them.

"Unfair. Speak Korean, please!" Taemin demanded so the two laughed again. Amber didn't understand him too but the way he said it made her laugh.

 

"She's a noona, Taem."

"Emberrr noona. Study!"

"You should study too, little boy."

 

Amber had been to Korea so many times when she was younger that when her parents finally let her, she immediately transferred there. She was only 15. She went to Jinki's school but not as a regular student, well, not yet. She was only there to study Korean but she'd attend that school in a year. She had a different tutor during the day, an English teacher in that school. The school just thought that she'd learn Korean faster from a normal Korean student who was closer to her age. So she took extra lessons from Jinki. He rarely spoke to her in English. Jinki may understand English really well(it was his favorite subject in school) but he still couldn't speak it that well. He just knew the basics and he could form short sentences. And he knew Amber had to hear more Korean than English to get used to the language.

 

Jinki always brought Amber to their apartment after school. He thought it was easier that way so Amber could hear and speak Korean more, hence Taemin not being fond of English and being really talkative. And, well, so he could also take care of his little brother. Taemin was a growing kid, he needed to be monitored. But he didn't become a huge problem for Jinki because he behaved well.

 

Taemin really liked that Jinki always brought her there. She was his, sort of, entertainment. He would always because she had a really funny pronunciation. But it wasn't just because of that. He had just become so fond of the boyish girl. So did Jinki. And she too. The Lee brothers became her first official friends.

 

Taemin, though, was giving less attention to his hyung and was always more focused on Amber. Jinki was actually okay with it since he thought he could use a little break from all the craziness and childishness of his little brother.

 

But later on, Jinki realized that there was something more to Taemin's teasing Amber. Taemin just had a different look on his face whenever he smiled at Amber. It wasn't the same smile he gave Jinki, or to his other friends. It was different. There was something different about the wrinkles beside his eyes and the crescent shape they were forming. There was something different about his flat cheeks that puffed when he smiled. He, Jinki, was sure that his little brother was crushing on Amber.

 

Taemin was just so obvious. He couldn't get more obvious than he already was.

 

Jinki never mentioned it to Taemin. He wanted his brother to tell it himself. And it was just a little crush. Why bother asking? He wasn't even against it. Amber was a nice girl, intelligent and funny. Maybe he liked her too but he wasn't sure, really. He had never liked anyone before.

 

Taemin would always directly rush to Jinki and Amber's school after his classes so he could walk home together with both of them. Well, he just did that so he could see Amber everyday because she didn't come to their apartment all the time. Plus she had a life too. They weren't her only friends.

 

When the three of them were together, no one would feel out of place or feel left out. And if there was someone who sometimes felt left out, it would be Taemin, because Jinki and Amber would have this tiny conversation in English. Little did he know, though, that it was always about him. Because apparently, Amber liked Taemin too. She never told it verbally or openly, not to anyone, not even to Jinki, but she let Jinki understand it through her play on words. She was just not sure if he was getting all the hints she was giving him.

 

One cold winter evening, after their Korean lessons, Jinki invited Amber to have dinner there with them(once in a while he would do that). Amber never refused his offer even if she knew she'd get mocked by Taemin when he sees  her using a pair of chopsticks(she never got used to it). She liked their cooking.  Well, Jinki's cooking. Taemin never really helped. He was either doing his homework, watching TV, taking a bath, etc. That night he was taking a bath. He wanted to smell nice for Amber. While she, she fell asleep as she waited for the food to be ready. Their apartment was just so warm and comfy that she could just stay there forever. She didn't know if it was because of the flat itself and the heating system or because of the two boys who were living there.

 

Jinki gazed at her as she slept deeply on the couch. He smiled. Then he got her a blanket with tiny colorful hearts all over it and placed it over her body. Amber didn't move. She was really fast asleep. Jinki smiled again before he crotched on the floor and leaned forward, his face were inches away from hers. She looks funny when she sleeps. He thought as he moved her fringe to the back of her ear with his chubby little fingers.

 

Taemin watched his hyung as he did it. He creased his forehead that his eyebrows could almost meet. He was jealous. His brother was so close to Amber. Literally. He's not supposed to be doing that. He said in his head. He was getting mad in a way that he couldn't understand. That weird thing was that he was getting mad at his brother.

 

"Shall we wait till she wakes up?" Jinki finally stood up and faced Taemin.

"Yeah, sure." Taemin simply responded and went to the bedroom.

 

He didn't get out when Jinki finally called him to have dinner. Jinki thought he was already asleep so he didn't bother calling him again. So it was just him and Amber who looked like she was still half asleep with her eyes half closed. She even kept yawning. It only made Jinki laugh. His laughter was heard even through the closed bedroom door to Taemin's ears that were already covered with his pillow. Then he heard a series of laughter coming from Amber. He could hear her husky voice too.What are they laughing about?! Taemin was really furious. He just closed his eyes and hoped he could sleep it off. But he failed because he was hungry. His tummy kept grumbling. So when he knew that Amber had left, he stood up and went straight to the kitchen.

 

"I set aside some beef and rice for you. Do you want some soup, too?" Jinki was ready because he knew Taemin would be hungry. He never missed out any meal.

 

Taemin started eating without saying anything to his brother. Jinki, on the other hand, just took his notes and brought them in the kitchen to study there and accompany Taemin. The younger hated the feeling of being alone.

 

Taemin put the bowl and plate in the sink and left the kitchen right after he had eaten. He didn't say a single word to his brother. He's acting strange. Jinki concluded. Normally, Taemin would say "goodnight". Sometimes he would even stay and just watch Jinki study. He would stare at him all night till he could or till Jinki finally decided to sleep because he could see Taemin's eyelids starting to drop. Taemin wouldn't sleep unless Jinki slept too. He would only sleep without Jinki if he was really, really, really tired.

 

"Hyung," Taemin muttered before he finished his glass of milk the next morning.

"Hmm?" Jinki turned his head as he wiped the countertops.

"Amber noona's mine, okay?" Taemin finally said what had been bothering him all night. He couldn't get mad at his hyung for too long so he just said it. Jinki raised his eyebrows then blinked his eyes for a few times. Taemin was looking straight into his eyes. Taemin's eyes were piercing him. Jinki nodded and smiled. But Taemin was still looking at him intensely.

"Promise me you'll never steal her from me." Jinki's mouth slightly opened up letting the air he just inhaled flow out of it.

"I promise."

 

///

 

"He doesn't keep his promises anymore." Taemin snorted and put the headphones on before he laid his head against the wall. Then he stretched out his legs and stared at them for a minute.  He felt like... he couldn't feel his legs. As if they were numb. He was getting scared. He closed his eyes telling his nerves to make his toes move. He closed his eyes tighter. And finally, he was able to move his toes, he was able to wiggle them. He sighed in relief and a dance song started playing.Dance. Could he still dance?

 

"You dance!"

 

"Show me more of your dance moves!"

 

"Bravo! You're really amazing!"

 

"Teach me!"

 

"You look so cool when you dance, Taem."

 

"You should stop dancing or... or I might fall for you."

 

Amber's voice echoed in his head. All the compliments she told him. But that last one was just stuck in his head and it wouldn't go. Even if he tried his hardest, it just stayed there. Her voice, the way she said it, he couldn't forget it.

 

[Autumn 2007]

Amber went to the boys' flat one Sunday evening when she knew that the two would be back from the province. She leaned her ears against the door. There was music inside. They were there already. She didn't have to ring the doorbell anymore because they already gave her the code so she pressed the buttons and opened the door. She was so surprised at the sight that welcomed her.

 

"You dance!" She exclaimed that stopped Taemin from what he was doing. He turned off the CD player and looked at Amber timidly. She wasn't supposed to see that. No one was supposed to see that. He never even told Jinki that he liked dancing. It was his little secret.

"Come on, Taem. Dance! Dance!" Amber walked towards him but he shook his head. Taemin sat quietly on the sofa. Amber looked around. Jinki wasn't there. She then turned the CD player on and pulled Taemin up. He wanted to pull away but she was holding his hands tightly. She wouldn't let go.

"Show me how you did that. Like this?" Amber swayed her hands with Taemin creating some funny movements. Taemin laughed.

"No, not like that." He said as he laughed bending his head backward.

"Then show me!"

 

So Taemin showed her the right moves swaying his arms with more preciseness yet still with grace. His movement was as if calculated. And just after a few moments, he was like a real dance machine. Amber watched him move with wonder, with awe. He is truly beautiful when he dances.

 

Jinki was just at the front door, watching him too. His brother had a hidden talent that no one knew. It was superb. Just the way he simply kicked his feet, the way he twirled around, everything was just excellent. Taemin was great. No one could ever take that away from him.

 

"Taemin can dance!" Amber was so happy to announce it to Jinki.

"I can see that." Jinki walked closer to them.

"Can you dance too?"

"No," Jinki shook his head really hard.

"Hyung sings." Taemin proudly stated. He elbowed Jinki signaling him to sing so he did. Just a little. But even with that little piece, Amber heard his soothing and calm singing voice that she could sleep. As for Taemin, hearing his brother sing never failed to amaze him. It was the talent he wanted to have as well but he couldn't have everything, could he?

 

Amber may have liked Jinki's voice, but she still preferred Taemin's dancing. She felt like Taemin needed to show the world his talent, that he shouldn't be ashamed of it. So she was the one to bring and accompany him to dance contests. Of course, Taemin refused first but then Amber told him that he could win some money and he could take them home to his brother. Taemin wanted to earn some money too so he agreed. But he wasn't really joining because of the money. He was joining all the competition because he was the happiest when he danced. He enjoyed every single second of it. And also because of Amber. Because she liked seeing him dance that one day when she brought him to this dance studio that she knew about from a friend, she told him "Ah, Taem, I can't watch you dance anymore," she started as she sat on the floor with her back against the wall mirror, "you should stop dancing or..." she looked down at her fiddling hands, "...or I might fall for you." then she finally looked up at him, her cheeks turning pink. Taemin stopped moving and just stood still. He became immobile.

 

Will she still like me if she finds out?


Happy New Year everyone!!!!

Is someone reading this story? o.O

I wanna know how you think. My friend said it's good but I want other people's opinions too.

Not so famous ship. TaeBer is a little of a crack ship isn't it? hmmm.... 

But please do tell me if you like it.

xdorkyx

x

PS. Hope 2015 will be a great year for SHINee!!!!