Chapter 2

87 Steps Back
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Jongdae silently sat on an empty chair as he looked at his watch to check the time.

 

It was already 10:30. And according to Minseok, Eunsol will arrive at around 10. Jongdae knew that he was already 30 minutes late. And yet, he still couldn’t stop hoping that he’d still see her in the airport.

 

Yes. He told Minseok that he can’t make it to the airport because he’s busy. But, here he is now, waiting for her at the lobby, hoping to see her after three long years.

 

And so, while carrying a small placard which says: ‘Welcome back Eunsollie’ he roamed around the waiting area, asking out for a few miracles from above.

 

He’d be lying if he says that he doesn’t care about her. That’s he’s not even affected by the fact that she’s coming back today and such. Because if he truly does not care, he wouldn’t come all the way here while holding this poorly written placard.

 

Maybe it was too late when he realized that he really wanted to see her. Who was he trying to lie to when he told Minseok that he didn’t care about her coming back?

 

It was none other than himself.

 

Other than anyone else, he was more than excited to see her.

 

Did she grow taller? Is her hair color still the same? Did she gain weight? It’s been three long years since he’s last seen her.

 

And now, Jongdae really wanted to see her. Just a glimpse would be enough.

 

But maybe… maybe he was too late.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You’re the new employee from Korea right?”

 

A random guy suddenly walked inside the room and sat beside her. Since there was no one inside the room other than her, she assumed that he was talking to her. Eunsol nodded as she eyed him.

 

His eyes turned into small crescents as his lips curled. “I’m Korean too. But I live here with my parents.”

 

“That’s… great.” She mumbled with a small nod. She didn’t really know how she would talk to him since he’s basically a stranger and she just met him like 8 seconds ago and he’s already talking too comfortably towards her.

 

“I’m Kim Jiwon by the way. But I preferred to be called Bobby. And I’ll be your partner from now on. Since you’re new here, just ask me about anything you want to know and I’ll try to… uh answer them if I know the answer. If not… let’s just ask Seungyoon or Minho.”

 

“Okay…” was Eunsol’s unsure reply. This guy seemed harmless anyways.

 

“Nevertheless, let’s get along really well. You are?” He stretched his hand out to her for a handshake.

 

“Park Eunsol. Nice to meet you.” Eunsol smiled back at him as she shook his hand.

 

“Eunsol? Can I call you Eunsollie then?”

 

Hearing that one word erased the smile on her face. It just made her remember Kim Jongdae.

 

 It’s been 27 days since they decided to move away from each other. 27 days since they broke up.

 

It’s been 27 days but why does it feel like it just happened yesterday?

 

And without her knowing it, without her wanting it, she was already crying because of that jerk. 

 

Jiwon’s eyes widened as he saw tears running down her cheeks.  She’s…. she’s crying. What did I do? I didn’t do anything right? Is she crying because of me?

 

He didn’t like it when someone cries. Especially if it’s a girl. It reminds him of his mother whenever she cries because he’s so hard-headed and such. So it makes him feel like he’s done something so wrong and that he’s a horrible for doing it.

 

But the thing is, he didn’t do anything. He was just talking to her. Why would she suddenly cry?

 

“Yah, stop crying.” He told her without thinking twice. He didn’t know how to make her stop so he told her those on an impulse, wishing she’d just stop.

 

But she did the exact opposite of what he wants her to do. Instead, she cried even louder.

 

I think it’s really my fault. Is my voice too loud?

 

His panic grew as the seconds passed by. And since he didn’t know what to do to make her stop, he instantly pulled her towards him and embraced her in his arms. Just like what he does to his mom.

 

 

 

 

 

 

He hugged her.

 

 

“I don’t really know why you’re crying, but please stop. Please.” This time he made sure that his voice was not too loud and daunting. Or else she’ll cry more. And he doesn’t want that to happen.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter