Jujungie

G◙ing Cr๑zy || Graphic Review [close]

Jujungie

 Detailed or Simple review: detailed please. ouo
 Message/Purpose of Graphic : “when all the heroes were dead, princesses were no longer princesses.” 
Your concerns, if any: all. ahaha. 

FIRST GLANCE/IMPRESSION
 
It's very direct and with one person as the main focus, it works really well. The fact that her picture is large and fits nearly the whole graphic space is very eye-catching to the point if the image were small, she would still be noticed. I like how you chose this particular outfit because it's a dark and quite similar to rags with the color. Also, it brings out the concept where 'princesses were no longer princesses,' which I think is very good on a meaningful level. However, the thing that bothers me the most is the title. I like how you've done a reflection for the word 'princess,' but there's no solid ground to make that reflection possible and since you already have a gradient on the actual word 'princess' why not add it to the reflection too? And move the reflection higher so it's touching the text? That way, it wouldn't look so apart and separated.  


MOOD AND THEMES
 
It's dark, dreary and very chaotic in the back, which I can only assume is a warzone sort of theme. Also, there are princesses and heroes mentioned so that already leads me to believe this is a historical genre. Even though the outfit she's wearing is close to modern style. If you had chosen any other outfit, I don't think it could have worked this well since I've come to realize that putting together a historical genre is quite difficult unless the celebrity have already starred in a drama/movie with a historical setting. I applaud you on your choice!

  
COLOR HARMONY
 
The colors suits the theme. Even the green, which I sometime fine difficult because it gives off a sick feeling and in this setting, it fits perfectly. Considering it's a dark and sad story, you want the viewers to know it's not a happy plot at all. Not only that, you've also stayed within the same color palette, which are the dark cool colors, like the violet and brown. 
  

STOCK USES

I think I've complimented a lot on how you've been able to portray the protagonist very well and how she fits the graphic so well. Also this image choice in particular is a truly brilliant decision on your part. 

As for the background, it looks like there is a mix of images used to fill it up. Some of which are like faraway castles and close-up of walls and barriers in ruins. I have said earlier it looks very chaotic and that's fine since the message you're mainly portraying is the 'princesses were no longer princesses' which means there shouldn't be anything fancy and sparkling to show she ever is still a princess. Though, it still makes me curious if you had tried to make her face look like she had suffer quite a bit in this area of chaos, but then I think to the fact that she 'was' a princess and still has people protecting her despite the downfall of the kingdom she once was living in. I'd assume people would try that but you've kept her face scarless and pristine, and that indicates her 'princess' aura. Now I'm just complimenting this again. 

Anyway, the only problem I have with the background photos is the top right corner. There is a sharp blank square mixed with the some of the images and I'm not sure if it's intentional. I would recommend removing that or changing it to something with softer edges because it does not look like it belongs there. It's not that noticable because of the brightness but it leaves me questioning, what is it?

  
TYPOGRAPHY

As I had said earlier, the reflection for 'princess' needs to look more like a reflection since it doesn't look like one. Unless you're going for a shadow? Though, I'm doubtful of this since it looks like a mirrored version of the title. But word wise, I'm not sure how relevant the name of the princess is since you have it above the word princess. Readability concerns, it's not a good place to put the text. If the name has a huge influence on the graphic, then it should be put after the word 'princess' since I'm assuming it's suppose to be read as 'Princess Jung Soo Jung" which also leads me to the fact that there are no spacings between the name either. I mean, if it's one full word, that's fine, but not everyone upon reading it will know where are the spaces are in the name and or the fact that it's meant as a name if you put it above the word 'princess.' If 'Jung Soo Jung' means a type of princess, then that may work in your favor- but as I've mentioned, depending on the relevance of the name and if it is important, it should be below the word 'princess.' Now after I've suggested that, you're probably wondering about the reflection for 'princess,' concerning you would have to take into consideration of two words. It's still possible to squeeze the name in between and be able to make the reflection if you've applied the gradients, but if you feel it doesn't work, then my suggestion is purely bland. However, I believe it would work if you skew/transform the perspective to show there is light to make the reflection possible and because there isn't a define ground to show the word is being reflected, changing that perspective will allow the viewers to know it's a mirror and not a shadow. In case that was confusing, try putting a candle on a glass table and tell me it looks the same. 

Concerning the typeface, you've choosen ones with serifs and that is perfectly fine since you wanted to go with the reflection effect. Also, it doesn't look like a happy story either so yes, it's a good choice. 

On another note, the quotes look fine where they are. Both legible and readable, but if the graphic were to be scaled, it would be harder to read them. Though, it doesn't really matter as much as long as the title is visible so great job on the quotes. 
  

SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES
 
It looks like you have a good understanding of blending and editing photos together. I like how you've made it fading into the dark on her lower part so the title can stand out. Nothing really overlaps too much or overpowers the other images and I believe is a good standing point because it's not confusing. Also how you have her as the central point makes it easy on the eyes despite the chaos that follows around her. 

 
OVERALL 
 
This is pretty impressive and I'm amazed it look this great with cs2. Though, there's actually not much difference from the latest version other than more features. The only greatest gap is between 1 and 2, and I believe cs2 is enough to get you around so don't think it's lame to use it. I honestly fell in love ith cs2 when I started using photoshop (and I feel old knowing this). I like how you've thought about this and produced something fluidly in a difficult genre. Aside from my constant tangents, I hope this review was helpful. :)

P.S. If no one has figured it out, I talk more about typography than anything.